woodgrain for sale, not
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:27 pm 

Aneoth wrote:From this statement I can only assume that you made an offer and he accepted.

Didn't this already have bids on it ....?

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:30 pm 

improvstone wrote:

Unless of course DL was the purveyor of the hoax in the 1st place....

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:31 pm 

improvstone wrote:

Yep.  But it's hardly the first time somebody's managed to get something taken off eBay in a personal sale.  If Frank hadn't taken the risk, someone else, and probably someone else here, would have.  A woodgrain is simply too rare to ignore.  Hopefully he got a great deal instead of getting hosed; time will tell.

[edit]So the rest of you -- go bid on bclarkie's copy, for gosh sakes.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:04 pm 

improvstone wrote:Didn't this already have bids on it ....?
deimos3428 wrote:Yep.  But it's hardly the first time somebody's managed to get something taken off eBay in a personal sale.   A woodgrain is simply too rare to ignore.  Hopefully he got a great deal instead of getting hosed; time will tell.
[edit]So the rest of you -- go bid on bclarkie's copy, for gosh sakes.
Quote:
 aneoth( 297Feedback score is 100 to 499) About Me US $158.39 Feb-10-07 09:36:37 PST
eyeofvecna( 485Feedback score is 100 to 499) US $155.89 Feb-09-07 17:39:31 PST
aneoth( 297Feedback score is 100 to 499) About Me US $126.63 Feb-10-07 09:36:17 PST
aneoth( 297Feedback score is 100 to 499) About Me US $75.00 Feb-09-07 05:43:07 PST
extsr( 411Feedback score is 100 to 499) About Me US $30.00 Feb-08-07 19:29:50 PST
juliabulia( 1718Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999) US $20.50 Feb-08-07 19:42:05 PST
If Frank hadn't taken the risk, someone else, and probably someone else here, would have.

I had the high bid and then some when it was ended. I was never asked, nor told except once the listing was ended. And then only by Auto mail from E-Bay.

What a CROCK of donkey poop. :!:  :!:

You posted it yourself improvstone. SOMEONE WAS BIDDING ON IT. Someone else DID take a risk on this........... ME  :!:

I Took a risk by placing honest and open bids on the listing. It was my opinion that most of you were simply wrong and too quick on the "BAD SELLER" trigger.  For all the good that my belief in the honesty in my fellow man did me. It looks like that idiot aneoth was the only one who got HOSED here......... :roll:

The seller never responded to any of my questions. Now I guess I know why.....Apparently, he and deadlord/Frank were too busy being all chummy on the phone making a "Behind the scenes" deal, for the seller to have the courtesy or the time to respond back to me. Or for deadlord/Frank to let me know not to bother bidding at all.

This whole situation was done in the most dastardly and underhandedly way I can imagine to say the least…Its taking all my control NOT to curse in this message...... Its a good thing ya'll cant hear what I am saying right now. You would have to put the kiddoes in bed and turn down the sound a lot.

What the HECK is this?

I have been in the hunt for this deal since I first saw another forum member start this thread. From that point since I was the only obvious bidder from this forum willing to "Waste my money" on this deal, even though all who posted about this deal on this forum thought me insane to waste my money on pipe dreams.

I sent messages to the seller asking for details and if he would consider a buy it now price. I never heard back once. Now the listing was simply ended with NO explanation. Well not from him anyway. Now we all know why.

I should know better than to try to do anything in an honest and forthwith manner. Apparently, it does not pay to be honest.

I am pissed in any case. I was high bidder and the seller did not even  bother to ask me if I wanted to make an offer. Simple courtesy (IMO) would dictate that at least. Failing simple courtesy, then one would think that GREED would win over. NOPE.

This situation was handled in an underhanded manner from the start. The waste in all this it seems to me is in my thinking that some folks are above board and honest persons. Nope, just as in the real world people everywhere are cut throat with nary an honest thought to be freed from the prison of the evil mind.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:19 pm 

I think we all knew this wasn't going to end well.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:26 pm 

sent messages to the seller asking for details and if he would consider a buy it now price. I never heard back once. Now the listing was simply ended with NO explanation. Well not from him anyway. Now we all know why.

None of my questions were answered either.. so someone got in touch with this person for a preemptive arrangement very quickly.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:28 pm 

John, relax. :)   I say that because something you just said confirmed for me that this was nothing more than elaborate hoax.   This quote right here says it all to me:

Aneoth wrote:
The seller never responded to any of my questions. Now I guess I know why......

I firmly believe that the reason that the seller was not responding is because of the fact that this was never a "real auction" in the first place.  Above and beyond the fact that this was so eerily simiar in every way to the April Fool's Day joke that was pulled last year, there were two other things that were also strikingly similar about this "auction" that I didn't point out, at least until now.  First off, take a look at the "seller" in questions feedback left:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... 304&de=off

Now take a look at Frank's feedback left:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... =-1&de=off

Extremely similar.  :)   Another similarity to point out is this former user ID that Frank disavowed any knowledge of which I am sure that everyone who has been around here for awhile will clearly remember:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... TRK:ME:UFS

Looking at the feedback responses and remebering this back when it happened it seems that this person who created this ID also had a thing for womens lingere.

That is way, way too many coincidences for my taste. :wink:   I suspect that Frank set this up from the begining as he knew that it would get everyone worked up.  Also, in case anyone has any doubts about the location of the seller not being in NH, that can be done so fast and easily, I could create a new user ID and put it anywhere here in the US in less than 5 minutes, its not that hard. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:18 pm 

Yeesh, aneurysms (or aneothysms) will be a-bursting soon!
I appreciate the hatred, Annie, but without asking what I paid for it, I think it's a little much. Not to mention the fact that I didn't actually get it! I just threw the comments in there to see who would blow a gasket. Good to know I still have enemies!
I was, however, in contact with the seller, and as I understand it, you made a BIN offer AFTER bids had been placed. Am I mistaken? I can find out, if you like. I think that in itself reeks of........... I forget the word........ hippocrates....hippogriff.........HYPOCRISY!! That's it! Sorry about that, I was focusing on my GREED and dishonesty.
I give you my word that it was not my account or auction. Excellent detective work, bclarkie, but in this case the black glove really DOESN'T fit. Although I still get a kick out of the deadlord 36 account. I believe mine was deadlord36 a while back (no space). While I do enjoy ladies undergarments, I prefer to remove them from females, not cardboard shipping boxes, before I scratch and sniff.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:39 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Yeesh, aneurysms (or aneothysms) will be a-bursting soon!
I appreciate the hatred, Annie, but without asking what I paid for it, I think it's a little much. Not to mention the fact that I didn't actually get it! I just threw the comments in there to see who would blow a gasket. Good to know I still have enemies!
I was, however, in contact with the seller, and as I understand it, you made a BIN offer AFTER bids had been placed. Am I mistaken? I can find out, if you like. I think that in itself reeks of........... I forget the word........ hippocrates....hippogriff.........HYPOCRISY!! That's it! Sorry about that, I was focusing on my GREED and dishonesty.
I give you my word that it was not my account or auction. Excellent detective work, bclarkie, but in this case the black glove really DOESN'T fit. Although I still get a kick out of the deadlord 36 account. I believe mine was deadlord36 a while back (no space). While I do enjoy ladies undergarments, I prefer to remove them from females, not cardboard shipping boxes, before I scratch and sniff.

Frank, so you are saying that not only did the seller refuse to correspond with anyone other than yourself, but he also told you about exactly who offered what after he decided to accept your offer?  Nah, something isn't right there....

As a matter of fact I suspect that this whole thing may have actually been setup just to find out who would, after the auction was closed, complain about it and you after the fact.

Last edited by bclarkie on Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:42 pm 

bclarkie wrote:John, relax. :)   I say that because something you just said confirmed for me that this was nothing more than elaborate hoax.   This quote right here says it all to me:

I firmly believe that the reason that the seller was not responding is because of the fact that this was never a "real auction" in the first place.  Above and beyond the fact that this was so eerily simiar in every way to the April Fool's Day joke that was pulled last year, there were two other things that were also strikingly similar about this "auction" that I didn't point out, at least until now.

There was something so fishy about this "auction" from the start that it reeked like three week old halibut in the sun. The way it was posted, the intentionally small and fuzzy pictures, the half ass responses from the "seller", and the lack of communication to you and other buyers...trust me, Aneoth, you didn't lose a thing except the chance to be even more disappointed than you already were.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:54 pm 

I just realized something, that Ebay account may very well have not been Frank's.  :)  That said, I am fairly certain that I do now know whose it was and doesn't mean that Frank was not involved....

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:55 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I just realized something.   :)   That Ebay account may very well have not been Frank's.  That said, I am fairly certain that I do now know whose it was....

The suspense is killing me :?   Who would it be?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:58 pm 

I still can't figure this one out.

I really thought BC was on to something w/ a DL39 hoax, but since that doesn't seem to be the case. As for my involvment, I found the auction about 2 hours after it had been listed, and well before it was posted here. Admittedly, I thought it may be a hoax/scam, but I contacted the Seller right away with a Buy it Now offer provided he could provide more info/pictures...as unlike many here, I do not own a Woody, and would really like to! Within 2-3 hours he had gotten back to me, and his response did seem genuine. He stated that the item didn't seem to be getting the interest that he thought it would, and if things didn't pick up soon, he would take me up on my offer.

Well, I was hoping that it would fly under the radar a little longer, but it didn't, and soon was posted here. At that point, I figured that a B.I.N would be off the table, as the hits and bids would start coming...and they did. Once Frank made the intial bid, I threw in my $20.50 bid just to "mark" the item for later. I was still hoping to bid on this, as I was willing to gamble on it being legit, and was going to charge to my credit card anyway, as BadMike suggested, in case it wasn't. For what it's worth, I'm pretty upset that the auction was taken down, as I thought this was a least a chance to get a Woodgrain at a decent price...but I'm sure they'll be other chances (BC's got one up now) :wink:

I agree, that once an items got bids, trying to work out a BIN behind the scenes is underhanded at best, and I wouldn't do it.
But, Aneoth, I was planning to be a serious bidder as well, so don't think you had this one wrapped up by any means!  :wink:  :lol:

Hopefully, someone will fess up to the hoax, or we can get some kind of resolution on whether or not it was legit.

Wow...this might be my longest post ever!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:06 pm 

Okay, boys, IT WAS ME!  AGAIN!   :D

John, easy there big fella.  Frank's a good guy, and we had our fun.  Sorry if it upset you.  That wasn't the point.  I wasn't gonna fess up, but now that I see the trouble it's caused, I have to wade in and keep Frank from taking more fire.

Just an early April Fool's joke, though that doesn't imply that Frank and I won't be back in a month and a half...

Ah, there were SO many layers to this one.

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:09 pm 

:oops:

Fooled again!!

Oh well...at least it was by one of the best  :wink:

But it still doesn't answer the question of what gives with the ladies' undergarments!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:13 pm 

seeyouinescrow wrote:I still can't figure this one out.

I really thought BC was on to something w/ a DL39 hoax, but since that doesn't seem to be the case.

Oh, I still think that it was hoax and I am still fairly certain that DL was involved, I am just fairly certain that he had some help on this one.   :wink:   Another thing that I would like to point out is your very own statement:

seeyouinescrow wrote: Within 2-3 hours he had gotten back to me, and his response did seem genuine.He stated that the item didn't seem to be getting the interest that he thought it would, and if things didn't pick up soon, he would take me up on my offer.

Think about this statement for a second.  Now consider this was a newbie seller, supposedly the first item he has ever sold, lists a 10 day auction(in the wrong category at that!)and after a few hours he is disappointed at the lack of response to it????  His own auction description goes out of its way to act like he has really no clue what he is selling, yet he still claims to be disappointed that he isn't getting any action on an unknown quantity after a few hours?  Going above and beyond the fact that it has already been pointed out that his seeming lack of knowledge of what he is selling  clearly contradicted in his own auction description with his "crappy 3rd edition being for girls" comment, if he has supposedly no clue what he was selling, there is no way in hell that he could or would be  disappointed that he had not gotten any type of response on it, even if he would have listed it in the correct category.  The seller, by claiming ignorance of what he was selling,  would have absolutely no point of reference to be disappointed, so this is clearly a steaming pile of horse puckey that you were being told. :wink:  This thing was simply an elaborate but not so iron clad hoax.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:30 pm 

Hmmm, taking all of that as very good critique for my next hoax.  I see there are some rough edges I need to sand down to perfect this art.

As for the "undergarments", well, think "trade-bait".   :D

Actually, those were all legit.  I'm a very lucky guy...

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:46 pm 

bombadil wrote:Hmmm, taking all of that as very good critique for my next hoax.  I see there are some rough edges I need to sand down to perfect this art.

As for the "undergarments", well, think "trade-bait".   :D

Actually, those were all legit.  I'm a very lucky guy...

A good start would be not selling things that only a select few people have.  The last time it was the Warriors of Mars that gace you away for sure, this time it was the Yellow Chainmail. :wink:

PreviousNext