woodgrain for sale, not
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:33 pm 

Anyway, if it is a true auction, the one who bid on it will do a verrryyy good purchase :)

Who will bid? I am pretty sure that some of you will bid on it... even if there is so many "red flags"  :twisted:

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:42 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:Anyway, if it is a true auction, the one who bid on it will do a verrryyy good purchase :)

Who will bid? I am pretty sure that some of you will bid on it... even if there is so many "red flags"  :twisted:

I can't, only US residents .. thats my excuse and I'm sticking too it!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:50 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Also, to add to the fire the seller's previous name iwas sporon1965.  Then take a look at what a sporon is:

May not be safe for work

That's great.  :lol:

If that doesn't inspire confidence what could?

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:53 pm 

Sporon, i guess that's the same as a sporran, which is a standard item of dress in a highland uniform - think bagpipe band and the furry thing on the belt.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:11 pm 

enkidu wrote:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

What's a "potato wedger"?  And why bother to pay e-bay the
extra fees for a starting price and a 10 day listing?  ;-)

I should also point out that although I am not entirely sure what a "potato wedger" is, if I had to guess I would say that its probably either a derogatory remark towards Irish people(thus the potato reference) or more likely a dig towards homosexuals(which actually makes more sense when used in context with the term "Nancy boy").  The thing is that this guy is so dumb that he is confusing "potato wedger" with another term for what homosexuals do behind closed doors, called "peeling someones potatoes" i.e Once again Not Safe for work.

Either way, no matter what the reference is or the real meaning behind it, my guess is the intent is not very nice at all.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:20 pm 

Not to beat this any urther into the ground than it already has, but the more I think about this the worse I feel that this can be nothing other than a scam or perhaps a wild practical joke.  One of the most troubling things that the seller has written in this auction is this:

real dungeons and dragons set that came out waayy before this third edition crap...<clip>

Why is this so troubling?  This is troubling because that means that this seller is clearly cognizant of the the status of D&D today as well as the rift that is apparent between folks who play 3E and those that who play older editions.  The whole listing is meant to for the seller to imply and act like the he has really no idea what he is selling i.e. the $400 value remark, the remark about the yellow chainmail, "with a guy on a horse hacking at another dude", the "Gerry Gygax" thing and also the, "the brown box with the cheap wood pattern on it" remark.  All of these things are meant for the seller to appear like they really have no idea what they are selling and yet this same guy who makes all these remarks acting like he has no clue what he is selling, yet he is still "in the know" enough to be able to refer to 3rd edition as crap in his auction listing.  There is clearly more to this auction than what the seller wants to try and make people believe.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:32 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:
I can't, only US residents .. thats my excuse and I'm sticking too it!

I'll bid, you pay  :D

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:37 pm 

bclarkie wrote:There is clearly more to this auction than what the seller wants to try and make people believe.

Upon further review, re-reading the listing with the above comments in mind, I think BC might be on to something. At best, this is some sort of inside joke between this clown and person or persons unknown. At worst, it's some sort of scam. I'd put the odds of this transaction being concluded successfully — with the buyer receiving a woodgrain in a timely fashion — at far less than 1 percent.

It also makes the answer to this question ...

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:Then again, wouldn't it be a more effective scam if the thing was actually listed properly?

... a resounding, "not necessarily."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:43 pm 

Then again, wouldn't it be a more effective scam if the thing was actually listed properly?

... a resounding, "not necessarily."

You'd think that more people looking at it, the more you'd find someone who would bite. There's no point listing a scam auction and no one actually being able to find it.

Moreover, those who are more prone to finding the obscure listing are those same people who are going to be far more particular in what they deem legitimate.

Just a theory.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:48 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:

You'd think that more people looking at it, the more you'd find someone who would bite. There's no point listing a scam auction and no one actually being able to find it.

Moreover, those who are more prone to finding the obscure listing are those same people who are going to be far more particular in what they deem legitimate.

Just a theory.

You mean like this one that was set up up by a couple of folks here as an April Fools Day joke?

Deadlord39 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/Set-of-game-hobby-b ... dZViewItem

SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hubby generously decided to let me have these for $100. What a nice guy!

That is further explained here:

viewtopic.php?t=3690&highlight=april+fools

That one was listed in nonfiction books.

and the auction is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Set-of-game-hobby-b ... dZViewItem

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:19 am 

You mean like this one that was set up up by a couple of folks here as an April Fools Day joke?

I'm not questioning whether D&D junkies can be tricked, but it seems they should be less likely to be tricked. Moreover, if I'm looking to trick someone, the law of large numbers would suggest that the more people I approach with the proposition (in this context, auction hits) the more likely I will succeed.

Expressing a lack of knowledge about the good (by mislisting it) may have some affect on the perceived legitimacy of the auction (that is, the guy knows nothing about the product so it makes sense he's not putting it in the right place on eBay). But the point is, if one is truly looking to rip people off (and not just be a joke), why make it look like you are not knowledgeable about the good? You'd think your best chance at maximizing your gain is to make the item's auction as close to a normal auction as possible.. then pull the plug on the buyer.

Well whatever. I think we've dissected this listing like its a work of art.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:39 am 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
I'm not questioning whether D&D junkies can be tricked,

We can't be tricked - we have our own secret weapon - BCLARKIE (huzzah :lol: )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:46 am 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
I'm not questioning whether D&D junkies can be tricked, but it seems they should be less likely to be tricked. Moreover, if I'm looking to trick someone, the law of large numbers would suggest that the more people I approach with the proposition (in this context, auction hits) the more likely I will succeed.

Expressing a lack of knowledge about the good (by mislisting it) may have some affect on the perceived legitimacy of the auction (that is, the guy knows nothing about the product so it makes sense he's not putting it in the right place on eBay). But the point is, if one is truly looking to rip people off (and not just be a joke), why make it look like you are not knowledgeable about the good? You'd think your best chance at maximizing your gain is to make the item's auction as close to a normal auction as possible.. then pull the plug on the buyer.

Well whatever. I think we've dissected this listing like its a work of art.

I think both BC and STS are on to something.  First, the guy is trying to act like he doesn't know what the hell this thing is, to the point of being obnoxiously stupid.  The names spelled wrong, the horrific picture, the act of nonchanlant stupidity. But, if he was a scammer, it seems like he would have at least tried to act professional and get a LOT more for his item, real or fake, than it will bring on now.
  This strikes me as some sort of elaborate in-joke.  Anyone want to fess up?  I bet this gets cancelled.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:20 am 

bclarkie wrote:
IThe thing is that this guy is so dumb that he is confusing "potato wedger" with another term for what homosexuals do behind closed doors, called "peeling someones potatoes" i.e

Some times Brian I think you do just a little bit too much research ...  8O

Anyway thanks for expanding my vocabulary ....  8O  8O

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:23 am 

bclarkie wrote:

Heh, yeah here is what was bought under this user ID that you can still pull up:

Super long link 1

Super long link 2

Super long link 3

Super long link 4

Yeah, this is exactly who I want to be buying my woodgrain from. :roll:

Though some of your research is quite useful ... thanks for the pretty pictures  :wink:

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:30 am 

Badmike wrote:
I think both BC and STS are on to something.  First, the guy is trying to act like he doesn't know what the hell this thing is, to the point of being obnoxiously stupid.  The names spelled wrong, the horrific picture, the act of nonchanlant stupidity. But, if he was a scammer, it seems like he would have at least tried to act professional and get a LOT more for his item, real or fake, than it will bring on now.
  This strikes me as some sort of elaborate in-joke.  Anyone want to fess up?  I bet this gets cancelled.

Mike B.

It just reeks of a hacked account.

The account was setup late Jun 06.  
    Some buying activity in Jun & Jul 06 then nothing till now.  
    Name change just before auction from something that is OK to a really stupid name
    Grammer and spelling mistakes galore
    Poor photo
    An entry that looks like an update to the auction details but doesn;t ebay flag description updates

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:54 am 

I'm voting for hoax...

The account was probably set up to buy someones girlfriend/wife birthday presents, sometimes you don't want the rest of the world knowing what you are buying esp when you know that your feedback is going to be checked out...

Brette:)

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:33 am 

I want to know how they will ship the snow......and will it get the wood grain Box wet if it melts?

Get your snow!

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext