woodgrain for sale, not
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:30 pm 

Personally I don't find it offensive nor was it IMHO a funny gag.  

What I do find interesting is that we find it very easy to point gags at those people we respect, trust and are friends.  I would have thought those were the people you didn't intentionally or unintentionally try and hurt.  :wink:

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:56 pm 

Well, I have to admit, I'm committed to preventing people from taking themselves too seriously (though that comment isn't aimed at anyone in particular here, it's just a "life philosophy"), including myself!

And I also subscribe to the school of thought that states the highest form of humor is the ability to laugh at oneself.

But of course I feel shitty whenever my actions hurt innocent people.  I apologized to Aneoth in a PM.  He's a good guy, and I don't want him to leave because of my assinine pranks.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:09 pm 

bombadil wrote:Well, I have to admit, I'm committed to preventing people from taking themselves too seriously (though that comment isn't aimed at anyone in particular here, it's just a "life philosophy"), including myself!

And I also subscribe to the school of thought that states the highest form of humor is the ability to laugh at oneself.

But of course I feel shitty whenever my actions hurt innocent people.  I apologized to Aneoth in a PM.  He's a good guy, and I don't want him to leave because of my assinine pranks.

I'm not a big fan of pranks myself.  But in this case I think there were plenty of red flags, so it was "fair".  The pranks/hoaxs I hate are the ones that prey on someone's innate sense of goodness or helpfulness to humiliate someone...like, someone asking for help and then proceeding to make a fool out of the good samaritan (some of the reality shows revel in this behavior).

Mike B

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:42 pm 

bombadil wrote:Well, I have to admit, I'm committed to preventing people from taking themselves too seriously (though that comment isn't aimed at anyone in particular here, it's just a "life philosophy"), including myself!

There is no question that I Overreacted to this situation. A joke is a joke and I am the one who took this one too seriously, as has been pointed out by several members of the forum here.

With this prank, my collectors saliva was dripping in a flood state up at the thought of possibly obtaining not only a early print woody, but a First Edition Chainmail too!! 8O   In that regard it was a succesful prank.

I was actually hoping for the Chainmail more than the woody as I already have an early woody in my now meager collection. However, about 2 years ago I allowed my NEar Mint First Edition Chainmail to go to another Acaeum member in a fair trade deal and if I ever get the chance to obtain another.......... well..... lets just say that you folks might want to visit your local lending institution for a loan........ That is if you plan to thrash my bid.

As I have before, I may at some point in the future disappear for a while but if so, it will be for OTHER reasons.

And much like other bad pennies I will turn up again..... and again......... and again.........

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:10 pm 

With this prank, my collectors saliva was dripping in a flood state up at the thought of possibly obtaining not only a early print woody, but a First Edition Chainmail too!!

Don't be too disappointed then, as the Chainmail was just a second edition:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:26 pm 

bombadil wrote:But of course I feel shitty whenever my actions hurt innocent people.  I apologized to Aneoth in a PM.  He's a good guy, and I don't want him to leave because of my assinine pranks.

Aneoth is definitely a nice guy.  So are you Bombadil!  None of that is changed by what has happend.  In fact I would suggest that you two are probably better friends after this.  Or at the very least understand each other better.   :wink:

bombadil wrote:And I also subscribe to the school of thought that states the highest form of humor is the ability to laugh at oneself.

Highly agree with this statement.  I make a fool of myself all the time.   :lol:

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:49 pm 

enkidu wrote:Don't be too disappointed then, as the Chainmail was just a second edition:
[ Image ]

I had not seen that picture.  :lol:  :lol:  Not sure I see it now either.......

Steve I would hope that for REAL auction listings you will try to get them in FOCUS with a real camera instead of your phone........

I already have a Second Edition Chainmail, so now I see that there was even less reason to have gotten overly excited.  :oops:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Previous