Name that Cover!
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:04 pm 

I agree, credit were credit is due... even the waves and rivits are the same geez... and for gods sake if you are going to do it choose someone a bit less famous than Frank... wonder what the other half of that pic is from?

Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:00 am 

bclarkie wrote:It actually was also used in Dragon Magazine #65:

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/periodi ... gon65.html

I am not sure if ti was used anyplace else.

OK, not quite on-topic, but . . . . did I read that right on the upper right hand corner of Dragon #65; did it actually say "Fantasy Football"????
Anyone remember what THAT article was about and why it's in a RPG magazine?  :?  :o  :?:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:15 am 

sleepyCO wrote:
OK, not quite on-topic, but . . . . did I read that right on the upper right hand corner of Dragon #65; did it actually say "Fantasy Football"????
Anyone remember what THAT article was about and why it's in a RPG magazine?  :?  :o  :?:

There was a one off board game in one of the early Dragons - don't know if this was the one - as I remember it was very much a precursor to Blood Bowl (and halflings were good kickers)
The name 'Monsters of the Midway' is ringing bells, but it's all from very vague memory.

(Perhaps I'll drag the old Dragon Magazine Archive out and have a look!)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:16 am 

sleepyCO wrote:OK, not quite on-topic, but . . . . did I read that right on the upper right hand corner of Dragon #65; did it actually say "Fantasy Football"????

It was an attempt at a Blood Bowl-type game, with monsters playing the football postions and having certain abilities. It actually wasn't completely terrible, although it was pretty much instantly forgotten when Blood Bowl got more and more popular.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:20 am 

It was 'Monsters of the Midway' in Dragon 65 - I just googled it.

(why is my memory fine for s*** like this and yet normal  everyday things don't stay in my head for more than 5 minutes? Talk about selective memory 8O )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:51 am 

bclarkie wrote:Yea, its pretty clear that this guy is an ass hat.

I agree.  All artists gain their inspiration from elsewhere ... but most don't blantantly copy anothers work.  In this case he really hasn;t added anything to the originals.  In fact the originals are FAR FAR FAR better pieces of work.

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:42 am 

gyg wrote:It was 'Monsters of the Midway' in Dragon 65 - I just googled it.

(why is my memory fine for s*** like this and yet normal  everyday things don't stay in my head for more than 5 minutes? Talk about selective memory 8O )

When did that issue (Dragon #65) come out--about the time the Chicago Bears won thie Super Bowl in January 1986 (or during that season)?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:06 am 

sleepyCO wrote:When did that issue (Dragon #65) come out--about the time the Chicago Bears won thie Super Bowl in January 1986 (or during that season)?

Oh no, Dragon# 65 came out in September 1982, besides the Bears have been known as the "Monsters of the Midawy" for a long time. :)    Of course, EGG is a Bears fan so that may have had something to do with it. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:17 am 

bclarkie wrote:
Oh no, Dragon# 65 came out in September 1982, besides the Bears have been known as the "Monsters of the Midawy" for a long time. :)    Of course, EGG is a Bears fan so that may have had something to do with it. :wink:

I did remember that was the Bears' nickname, but I did not know that Gary was a Bears' fan . . . wonder if Rob was a Packers' fan . . .  :lol:  :D and that explains their "rift".

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:06 pm 

gyg wrote:There was a one off board game in one of the early Dragons - don't know if this was the one - as I remember it was very much a precursor to Blood Bowl (and halflings were good kickers)
The name 'Monsters of the Midway' is ringing bells, but it's all from very vague memory.

(Perhaps I'll drag the old Dragon Magazine Archive out and have a look!)

'Monsters of the Midway' is ringing bells with me too!!! 8O

A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:27 pm 

yes! i had it at some point

Are we nearly there yet?

Previous