Name that Cover!
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:45 am 

Here is a new one.. name the product that this has been "borrowed" from?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Red-Sonja-Watercolo ... dZViewItem

Brette:)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:49 am 

beasterbrook wrote:Here is a new one.. name the product that this has been "borrowed" from?

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Clyde has changed his style  8O Used on a Dragon Mag cover?  Which number?

Don't miss your opportunity to own a one-of-a kind original piece of art from one of the best artists in the business

Yeah right  :evil:  :lol:

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:00 am 

Danny Bulanadi
Background by Clyde Caldwell:
Red's Pose by Clyde Caldwell:
Red's Costume by Clyde Caldwell:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:17 am 

i like it!

great pictures as well...

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:37 am 

Hmmm...the third one looks kinda like Drew Barrymore.  8)   Nasty looking chastity belt thingy going on there.  Get something too close to it and it might get bitten off.  8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:56 am 

Picasso did say, "Good artists copy, great artists steal."
Of course the key is to hide it a little better.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:26 am 

Just to clarify . . . that is the most popular Marvel Comics depiction of Red Sonja and the way she was drawn throughout the 70's, 80's and into the 90's.  Clyde Caldwell was just drawing Sonja the way Marvel had her attired.

John Buscema was the artist who first drew her that way in Conan #43 from 1974.  This became to protypical image of Sonja and a classic example of "Warrior Woman in Chainmail Bikini".  :)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:27 am 

It doesn't matter.  I think she's still wearing too much.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:30 pm 

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on Red Sonja herself, but that background is a direct ripoff.  You'd think he could have put the staircase on the other side, or maybe changed the skulls on the bannister into orcs.  Criminey.

Good catch.

Foul

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:55 pm 

Hmm, maybe someone should email the buyer and let them know all there is to know about this "original" piece. :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:11 pm 

It looks to me like he actually took the original background and played around with it in Photoshop (or something like that). All of the cracks, etc., in the stone are exactly the same. The only difference is the color.

Even the dragon is the same (though he has been resized).

The painting looks a bit weird, like a Bill Willingham portrait on a Jeff Easley background.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:47 pm 

i quite like it though, i have to say :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:59 pm 

I can't remember what product had that background image on it though. Mr Bulanadi may have been looking in "The Art of Clyde Caldwell" considering the pose picture is right on the cover.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:04 pm 

kevin mayle wrote:I can't remember what product had that background image on it though. Mr Bulanadi may have been looking in "The Art of Clyde Caldwell" considering the pose picture is right on the cover.

It was defintely on REF3-The Book of Lairs:

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/miscpag ... econd.html

I believe that it was also used on the cover in something for 2nd edition as well.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:11 pm 

It actually was also used in Dragon Magazine #65:

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/periodi ... gon65.html

I am not sure if ti was used anyplace else.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:18 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
It was defintely on REF3-The Book of Lairs:

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/miscpag ... econd.html

I believe that it was also used on the cover in something for 2nd edition as well.

And the points go to bclarkie! Not an exact rip off, the necklace on the right dangles a bit lower that the origional, one horn is smaller, the dragon has also been pushed to the left to fit it in (don't know what happened to to its right front foot), but yes the cracks and background are an exact duplicate. Beyondthebreach is right, this is the classic Marvel depiction of Red Sonja, I'm almost sure that this has been borrowed off a Marvel cover as well, I just don't know which one. It looks like to different painting merged into one ... maybe extra points if someone can find were Red came from as well;)

Oh and someone bought it!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:32 pm 

From looking at his website and seeing that he is a professional artist, I assumed that he was just using reference material for his work and went a bit overboard with completely copying the background, but I was giving him the benefit of the doubt on not making a direct copy of Red Sonja. You might be right though about that being a copy as well because I found another picture of his that he calls "Leif Erikson meets Captain America", which is another copy. This time it's of a classic Frank Frazetta piece.
Danny Bulanadi

Frank Frazetta
To  me, original art is cool, using other art as reference material is cool, copying other art as a tribute while giving due credit to the original artist and his work is cool, ripping someone off and claiming it as your own is not cool.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:44 pm 

kevin mayle wrote:To  me, original art is cool, using other art as reference material is cool, copying other art as a tribute while giving due credit to the original artist and his work is cool, ripping someone off and claiming it as your own is not cool.

Yea, its pretty clear that this guy is an ass hat.

Next