What do you do with your collection?
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:21 pm 

I sleep on mine sometimes. There are a few imbedded in my stomach. I think there might be a Tsojconth just above my crotch...
Mine is relatively organized, but I keep finding things I didn't even know I had.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:15 am 

Most of my collection sits on a shelf in my office where its easily accessible and I can admire it.  I've also got a tub of miscellaneous home-brew items and a few boxes of miniatures packed away until I can paint them.

Not an overly impressive collection of rares, compared to some people's collections, but I feel a Smeagol-esque sense of glee knowing I have them:

The only really unusual item in my collection, is a roughly 4x7 foot map of the Forgotten Realms, hand drawn by a highschool friend of Ed Greenwood:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:50 am 

Very nice collection!

What is the acquisition story on the map? Did you acquire it via an on-line auction?

Cheers,
Curt

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:23 am 

NetRodent wrote:Most of my collection sits on a shelf in my office where its easily accessible and I can admire it.  I've also got a tub of miscellaneous home-brew items and a few boxes of miniatures packed away until I can paint them.

Impressive d6 you have there :)
Question though: Why do you have multiple copies of box sets. I can see you have both printings of the Planescape Campaign box sets, but are the other actually different printings as well?

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:47 am 

CGOULD42 wrote:What is the acquisition story on the map? Did you acquire it via an on-line auction?

Indirectly.  A couple of relatively common items were up for auction from a local seller and I'd bid on them simply because they were going for much less than they were worth.  When I went over to the guy's apartment to pick up the books, he offered to sell me the rest of his collection because he didn't want the hassle of selling it piece-meal on Ebay.  Along with lots of non-noteworthy items were several above-average home-brewed items.  Other than the map, the two most noteworthy items were a very thick binder containing his house rules that had be illustrated and printed in color, and a spell compendium that he'd compiled by typing all of the spells from his books into a computer.  At one time, gaming had obviously been this guy's life and he wanted to sell it all because he just didn't have time to play anymore.  

Plaag wrote:Impressive d6 you have there :)
Question though: Why do you have multiple copies of box sets. I can see you have both printings of the Planescape Campaign box sets, but are the other actually different printings as well?

Impressive as it is, its pretty much unusable since it is heavy enough to dent tables.

Actually those are two different Planescape items, the Campaign Setting and Planes of Law.

There are multiple printings of some boxed sets (see this thread).  The Ruins of Undermountain and Myth Drannor come in both a 1.25" high and 1.75" high box variants.    In other cases, like with Greyhawk wars, I have multiple copies so I can use one and keep one unpunched.  I also have an unhealthy propensity for buying lots, which leads to a lot of duplication.  Some items like Menzoberranzan seem to be part of every lot I buy (I've already given away two and I still have three left).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:27 pm 

My stuff is completely stored away. I do, however, raid it for reading material on occassion. Got to get that man's room going...

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:30 pm 

Ditto.  Mine is mostly stored away.  Occasionally I venture forth pull something out to read.  I keep a bunch of playing copies and some pdf copies readily available for the ongoing campaign.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:42 am 

what do i do with my collection. pretty much clutter up my back room with it :D

i dont catalog it at all - its all from memory. its half the fun actually finding something :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:54 pm 

Mine is stored in my converted shed (office/library).

Easy access and only a couple of yards form the wine store, & hifi. Great for relaxing and thumbing through the odd tome.

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:17 am 

My partner and I share a shelf... my collection is fairly unimpressive.. being the one shelf you can see with all the planescape stuff on... But I love my books. I've told my partner he's not allowed any more books than he can fit on the shelf... hahaha...

As you can see, we've not got much room left to play with.

And that map... is awesome... I'd love a map of the whole forgotten realms but they're really hard to find... at least, big giant cool sized ones are.. it's a shame.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:38 am 

flying_purple_monkfish wrote:As you can see, we've not got much room left to play with.

What about putting more recessed shelving up and down the non-stonework parts of the staircase?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:40 am 

flying_purple_monkfish wrote:My partner and I share a shelf... my collection is fairly unimpressive.. being the one shelf you can see with all the planescape stuff on... But I love my books. I've told my partner he's not allowed any more books than he can fit on the shelf... hahaha...

As you can see, we've not got much room left to play with.

And that map... is awesome... I'd love a map of the whole forgotten realms but they're really hard to find... at least, big giant cool sized ones are.. it's a shame.

Be careful, if you want to sell your collection in the future, don't forget to mention that "It comes from a non smoking house, but it was previously stored near the dirty socks."

:wink:

Well, monkfish don't need socks maybe...

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:54 am 

flying_purple_monkfish wrote:As you can see, we've not got much room left to play with.

Good to see that you have your smoke alarm right there - just in case...  :wink:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:27 pm 

The stone wall next to the bookcase in that narrow passageway gives a nice in-the-dungeon look to the scene.   :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:39 pm 

I don't quite understand the stone wall... all the rest of the walls are the same stone but have been plastered over and wallpapered.. so we're left with a feature wall ... it's kinda bizzare... heh..

and my mother put the laundry there! I have no idea why... she's a freak. It's been moved now because it pissed me off having laundry on the goddamn stairs...

Shame we can't extend the bookshelf... 2 foot thick stone walls make everything so much more difficult... still... there's the other bookshelf downstairs which houses my comics atm...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:47 am 

I have different locations for my collection  8O  The main force (being all the role playing games published in Italian in their various versions and editions - my pride and joy because it took a lot of time to recover some titles! -, all my Cthulhu books including many foreign editions - for example the very rare Catalan edition! - and some more books) stays in a bookshelf at home, under my warchful eye; ditto for the collection of books about RPGs, just above my home desk; in the store's warehouse I have a shelf for various RPGs I don't play or ever read but I deem significant for the RPG historY: the TOME Tekumel boxed edition, Jorune boxed edition, Stormbringer GW edition, etc.) and for display IN the store various items, such as the Random Events TSR newsletter recently bought from Burntwire and the Red Basic Set print with an Elmore autograph. They are all framed of course  :D . If I manage to win the D&D Cartoon poster and the incredibly cheesy AD&D sign, I'l put them both in the store for display!

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:44 pm 

So many nice collections. It's cool to hear what everyone does with them. Personally, I like to look at my own lot of books and stuff, so I'm all about displaying them. I've got my minis on shot-glass display thingies, the more rare items framed or safely displayed, and I wanted to share my small bit of joy... I was given the gift of shelving! And the shelves are already starting to bow from the weighty books. Modest amount of books, but I'm just so happy to have big shelves.

Waterdeep? Never heard of it.

-Factol Pentar, Doomguard

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:27 pm 

To help prevent the bowing of your shelves, you might want to put the heavy books on the bottom shelf or the one shelf that actually is screwed in place (it is usually the main load bearing shelf.  The lighter boxed sets on the higher shelves helps lessen the load.

PreviousNext