What do you do with your collection?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:59 pm 

I am trying to figure out what to do with my stuff other than horde it away in a closet. I was wondering what others do with their stuff. Seem like a shame to just stuff it in a box.  Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 6:04 pm 

Hey Adam, don't put your stuff away on a closet. Put them on a shelf. They display better plus if you ever needed to look at something you have it right there in front so you can take a look. Why put it in a closet were it will never see light of day? If your gonna treat your items like that especially your non tsr items, sell them or trade them to me! I will treat them much better than you  :lol:  j/k

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 11:14 pm 

Hold on there Mike.  I don't know about Adam's house but in mine, I think the shelf would be just too much for my little guy to handle.  I see it now (in a dreamlike nightmare) coming into the room to see him with half a dozen mods strew about with him 'coloring' them in.  Gives me the willies just thinking about it. :D  To be honest though, that is a great question.  Myself, like Adam have everything stored in a closet.  Everything neatly cataloged, and packed, out of sunlight and harms way.  One day (way down the road) I would like to donate a room to it (my gaming room so to speak) and have everything on display there.  (sort of like a museum).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 11:40 pm 

Hi Len, for many of the older collectors that are married with kids, it would be advised not to have a shelf to display your collection. Must give you the willies thinking about the kid opening up that $660 Jade Hare and drawing in the pictures, etc. 8O   However for collectors who don't have kids having them on a nice shelf is great! When you have friends over you can show it to them or on a nice quiet day you can look at your collection and admire how much money and time it took to acquire it.  :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:02 am 

Hey guys,  I was thinking about creating a dungeon in my attic for some time now. I shopped out some dandy antique/medieval looking furniture which to decorate my dungeon with. I guess at some point I realized the 'rares' list keeps growing faster than my savings account will.....  Perhaps later. Adam

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 1:01 am 

Adam I don't really understand what your saying. Are you making a "dungeon" in your attic to store your collection or  ???

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 6:12 pm 

Hello all,  My collection is "stored" in my computer room. Small room, about 8'X12' or so. Three book shelves 6' tall, I need a forth  :wink:  . 15 magazine boxes stacked beside them full of more items. All out of the sunlight of course. I like being able to see and reference the items on the shelves and being able to access the boxes without too much trouble. Hopefully I will also be able to have a full room for my stuff in our next house  :)  . Our little ones are old enough that I dont have to worry about them getting into the stuff now.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:48 am 

Mkman wrote:Adam I don't really understand what your saying. Are you making a "dungeon" in your attic to store your collection or  ???
 Hey Mike,  Understand this... :lol:   I went in my attic to set up a dungeon with a full complement of torture material. The first item of torture is The Necromican by Fantasy Art Enterprises :lol: We next move along to an unusual item by the name of Spellcaster's Bible by the Playing Board. :lol:   In the center of the room we have a small handful of Little Soldier Games material including (2) copies of The Book of Demons, The Book of Sorcery, The Ringbearer. :lol:  For the next level of torture we move onto The Wee Warriors rack including Misty Isles, Labyrinthine in original ziplock, Game Designers Kit in original ziplock, several copies of Dwarven Glory, and POTV. :lol:  As though that is not enough I discovered a  copy of The Book of Ebon Bindings by MAR Barker. :lol:  Situated next to this device of marvelous torture is second print run (Green Cover) of Bob Blakes Gen Con dungeon. :lol: Among some interesting tidbits of torture include Fantasy Furnishings in SW by The Companions, a full run of Judges Guild material, and a whole box full of lesser known non Tsr material. :lol: The final blow of this dungeon of torture involves a first edition copy of PEI Bonewits Authentic Thaumaturgy. :lol:.  Hope this answers your ? :D   Adam

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:06 am 

HAHA, trying to torture me and brag to me about your collection Adam? Very impressive run of hard to find non tsr items but my collection far exceeds that of yours so no use making me jealous oldie 8)  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  PS. Wee Warriors made something called POTV? I thought they made something called POTVQ........lol

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:50 pm 

I know I'm nearly four years 8O  late, but . . . . :lol:

What about storing D&D items, books, modules, etc. in locked filing cabinets?  That would keep the kids out (so would a door lock on the room with the shelves, come to think of it :oops: )?  Put the books in the clear bags, put THAT in files, store that way? :?:  I do have a four-drawer file cabinet with a lock on it, and have been thinking about using it for the  200+ books and modules I've gotten in the last two years . (Would have to be better than using plastic bins.)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:03 pm 

sleepyCO wrote:I know I'm nearly four years 8O  late, but . . . . :lol:

Man, is that our all-time bump record around here? :D

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:37 pm 

I horde all of my stuff away in a closet and I like it like that.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:39 pm 

11 bookshelves of stuff on open display, 5 miniature cabinets located throughout the house.

Four large chests of drawers for loose stuff and yet to be cataloged stuff.

About 15 magazine boxes for Dragons, dungeons and other game mags.

Best of all a treasure chest with all my rares in it 8)   It is so cool!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:44 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:11 bookshelves of stuff on open display, 5 miniature cabinets located throughout the house.

Four large chests of drawers for loose stuff and yet to be cataloged stuff.

About 15 magazine boxes for Dragons, dungeons and other game mags.

Best of all a treasure chest with all my rares in it 8)   It is so cool!!

I'm pretty similar to this, I have a wall of 5 bookshelves and then use the space from the top of the shelves to the ceiling to store two rows of boxed sets on top of each other.  I have another couple bookshelves on other walls.  

I think I have about 12 boxes of magazines in the closet - I just don't know what to do with them and about 10 boxes of the stuff I am planning on seller but never seem to get around to doing.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:23 pm 

Donate it to Goodwill!  :twisted:

I actualy picked up perfect mint copies of 1st ed DMG, MM, PHB and Fiend Folio at my local goodwill / salvation army store for only 1$ each a couple of years ago. I almost had a many heartr attack when i saw them sitting on the rack and their condition

I find that most of the module size books fit nicely into magazine size bags and magazine storage boxes from local comic store ; you can stack the boxes  on top of each other and they wont crush or affect the modules in the box underneath.

The more rare items i box up label the box and seal them tight with clear packing tape. I use a shelf to keep items of lower quality and easy referance like a battered set of original core books ( still have the heavy worn and used DMG I inherited from my brother who purchased it the second week after it was very first released, He was actually on a waiting list)   My old lead partha/grenadier/citadel miniatures I store in clear tuberware containers with cotton padding.

Oh yea, I only keep items in my collection that I personally believe are of good quality not condition wise but rather how well they were written/actual playability or good reading. Even if something was of extremley rare or valuable .. lests say like an ST1 but was totaly useless or just silly. I would never welcome it in to my collection. I would probaly resell it as fast as I could. I find it totaly mind boggling how some rare items are very expensive but the actual worth is total crap on a personal level.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:32 pm 

[quote="Afrika Corps"]Donate it to Goodwill!  :twisted:

OUCH!!!!!!

That brought back painful memories---that is what my sister  :evil:  :twisted:  did to me WITHOUT ASKING ME about 10-15 years back; gave away almost everything I had to Goodwill.  A's. B's. C's. G1-2-3. H1. A blue (1978?) copy of the rules I had looked for for three years. CB's. All 16 DL's. . . . you get the idea.

I should take your advice regarding going to Goodwill--as well as maybe the Salvation Army Thrift Store and others.  It is an idea I had not thought about--thanks for the tip! :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:46 pm 

Good luck with the Thriftstore/Goodwill sacavenging, although you mostly will find just dirty rocks but... every now and then you just might find a Diamond!

Fleamarkets can have some hidden treasures too, one time I bought some guys entire collection of about 30 old boxed avalon hill war game collection for again an unbeliavalbe price of a $1 each. He was an advid wargamer but just wanted to get rid of them, they were all well taken care of and all the counters and maps where there too! He made me promise that I would not turn around and resell them, which I didnt, I gave them out as gifts to different friends ( I had a reserve supply of gifts that lasted for a couple of years )

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:53 pm 

One of these days I'll have to snap a pic of my collection, just to scare you folks.  What do I do with it?  

A lot.  I look stuff up when someone asks an obscure rules question.  I sometimes lay printings side by side on the desk and go painstakingly page by page, looking for differences or other interesting tidbits.  Sometimes I just grab a rulebook at random and reread a section that I've forgotten.  I spend hours pouring over the books.

More often than not, several of the books are spilling out of the rickety bookshelf, or on the floor, stacked up haphazardly.  Interspersed with the books are bits of electronic hardware, computer books, boxes, dice, bubble wrap, and tax forms.

The best part about my collection is that it looks exactly like what it is -- a treasure horde.   :D

YIM  
Next