Feedback When to leave it or not to leave it
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:28 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
i sell a fair bit but nowhere near as much as the others here such as bri/btb/mike, but lemme tell you this. i wear my heart on the sleeve and have always done. if i do a good job and someone slaps me one for the hell of it and it isnt justified, believe me, on pure principle, i will get in my car and go there personally. i have come mighty close to that on a few occasions but its always just about worked out (damn)....but the time will come.
Al

Well I just found a way of getting you to come to Gencon or Australia ....

I'll just buy a few items from you.  Slap you with a few underserved negs and bingo we are having beers together at GenCon.  :lol:

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:38 pm 

Maybe we should start a Mexican stand off.  

Sellers would not leave feedback till buyers left one and buyers would not leave feedback till sellers did.  No feedback on ebay at all.

The feedback system would grind to a halt and eBay would finally have to look at ways of changing the system to something that works better for both parties.  :wink:  

OK, I realise that is not going to happen.  :roll:

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:21 am 

improvstone wrote:Maybe we should start a Mexican stand off.  

Sellers would not leave feedback till buyers left one and buyers would not leave feedback till sellers did.  No feedback on ebay at all.

The feedback system would grind to a halt and eBay would finally have to look at ways of changing the system to something that works better for both parties.  :wink:  

OK, I realise that is not going to happen.  :roll:

But at least you had a dream  :)

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:29 am 

killjoy32 wrote:one saturday morning, i watched a post office van pull up, guy get out, come to my door with something. something put through the letterbox (curtain in the way so i didnt know what). i got up, went to see what it was and it was a notification that i wasnt in and had to go the bloody post office to pick it up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  8O  8O  8O Al

I've had this happen as well.  What my postie told my wife was, "Yeah, I tried to deliver it yesterday, you weren't in so I took it back to the sorting office, filled out a note and now I'm posting the note"!

Oh well.

Incidentally I think they are pretty good.  Never had an item go missing.  (touches wood).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:26 am 

Sardan wrote:
I've had this happen as well.  What my postie told my wife was, "Yeah, I tried to deliver it yesterday, you weren't in so I took it back to the sorting office, filled out a note and now I'm posting the note"!

Oh well.

Incidentally I think they are pretty good.  Never had an item go missing.  (touches wood).

yeah i agree. as much as i gripe sometimes, they generally come out good for me - well with a little gentle nudging from time to time :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:43 am 

Actually I'm glad that this topic was brought up.  My feedback policy from day one has been to leave buyers positive feedback when they pay and to leave sellers feedback when I get and check the item.  

As simple as that sounds recent events have caused me to rethink my policy.  I now have 3 negative feedback on my record and 2 occurred yesterday from the same seller.  Here's the story.

I won and paid for 2 auctions from the same seller on Jan 9th.  3 weeks go by and I had not received the items nor had I heard anything from the seller.  So on Jan. 28th I send a friendly email requesting the status of the shipment.  I always send emails via the contact seller link in ebay.  Five more days go by and still nothing.  I send a second email on Feb 2nd and am a little more insistent.  Still no word from the seller but the package does arrive on Feb 7th.  Interestingly it was postmarked Jan 29th, the day after I sent the first email.  I'm guessing the seller was hoping I forgot about the items.

After checking the items I left a positive FB to the seller saying "Decent books, poor service. Does not answer emails after you pay."

I'm sorry but I don't know how to appraise the transaction any more honestly than that.  Nothing ticks me off more than ignoring emails.

For my audacity of telling the truth I get blasted with a double negative.

From now on I won't leave a FB to a seller unless it's completely positive and warranted.  I'm not willing to take the hits for honestly expressing what I feel or to window dress what I say in fear of taking a hit.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:48 am 

napoleonsdad wrote:Actually I'm glad that this topic was brought up.  My feedback policy from day one has been to leave buyers positive feedback when they pay and to leave sellers feedback when I get and check the item.  

As simple as that sounds recent events have caused me to rethink my policy.  I now have 3 negative feedback on my record and 2 occurred yesterday from the same seller.  Here's the story.

I won and paid for 2 auctions from the same seller on Jan 9th.  3 weeks go by and I had not received the items nor had I heard anything from the seller.  So on Jan. 28th I send a friendly email requesting the status of the shipment.  I always send emails via the contact seller link in ebay.  Five more days go by and still nothing.  I send a second email on Feb 2nd and am a little more insistent.  Still no word from the seller but the package does arrive on Feb 7th.  Interestingly it was postmarked Jan 29th, the day after I sent the first email.  I'm guessing the seller was hoping I forgot about the items.

After checking the items I left a positive FB to the seller saying "Decent books, poor service. Does not answer emails after you pay."

I'm sorry but I don't know how to appraise the transaction any more honestly than that.  Nothing ticks me off more than ignoring emails.

From now on I won't leave a FB to a seller unless it's completely positive and warranted.  I'm not willing to take the hits for honestly expressing what I feel or to window dress what I say in fear of taking a hit.

You got hosed. Royally.  That guy should have let the issue lie, since he was so slow in getting the items out.  I'm usually pretty quick turnaround but I do have my moments, and order gets put in the wrong pile, forget to print out an order sheet, accidentally delete a sale, etc.  So sometimes the item might go out late. It's the seller's job to let the buyer know what is happening. He should have taken his "positive" like a man and forgotten about it. I agree, next time don't leave positives unless you are happy with the service, sometimes just saying nothing is the only type of feedback you can give to prevent retaliation.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:52 am 

napoleonsdad wrote:Actually I'm glad that this topic was brought up.  My feedback policy from day one has been to leave buyers positive feedback when they pay and to leave sellers feedback when I get and check the item.  

Oh, and link us the auction....sure sounds like the kind of seller I would like to avoid, and you may be saving other buyers a bad deal......

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:00 am 

Well looking at this guys feedback you are not the only one with an issue with this guy:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... lodedfrets

His feedback is pretty awful and the fact that he actually had the nut sack to neg you after you left him a positive speaks volumes.  This guy may be one of the bigger ass hats that I have seen sell on Ebay.  This would be a situation where some vigilante justice would be very much in order, as amtter of fact I'd consider creating 2 user IDs, buy like 10 items between the two IDs from him as cheap as possible, pay for them and then neg the sh*t out of him.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:03 am 

Oh, and link us the auction....sure sounds like the kind of seller I would like to avoid, and you may be saving other buyers a bad deal......

Mike B.

OK, I'll provide the link...with a disclaimer.  I will admit that I had to fight off waves of red flags hitting me in the face when I placed the bid.  Normally I would have avoided this guy like the plague but an overseas customer was looking for these books and the rest is history. :oops:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0066098807

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:14 am 

This would be a situation where some vigilante justice would be very much in order, as amtter of fact I'd consider creating 2 user IDs buy like 10 between the two IDS of different items from him as cheap as possible, pay for them and then neg the sh*t out of him.

Back in my day we would have keyed his car door :lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:30 am 

napoleonsdad wrote:

OK, I'll provide the link...with a disclaimer.  I will admit that I had to fight off waves of red flags hitting me in the face when I placed the bid.  Normally I would have avoided this guy like the plague but an overseas customer was looking for these books and the rest is history. :oops:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

the guy is just an utter moron - deff one of the ebayers to avoid.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:31 am 

napoleonsdad wrote:
Back in my day we would have keyed his car door :lol:

now THAT would have gotten me in the car for a personal visit. amazing these muppets can get away with stuff like that.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:39 am 

now THAT would have gotten me in the car for a personal visit. amazing these muppets can get away with stuff like that.

Distance and relative anonymity created by ebay and the internet serves to empower these types.  If this guy were to deal with me face to face he would crap his drawers.  I bet he's a little pipsqueak.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:45 pm 

ah but when you have someone like BC around who can sniff a rat at 50,000 yards and someone very impulsive like me, you have the perfect combination :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:47 pm 

napoleonsdad wrote:

Distance and relative anonymity created by ebay and the internet serves to empower these types.  If this guy were to deal with me face to face he would crap his drawers.  I bet he's a little pipsqueak.

actually thinking about it, you want to get Martin in on the act (prufrock).....hes like 8 foot tall and built like a sherman tank....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:23 pm 

Its always amazed me to read about how buyers seem to go nuts over not receiving thier items within a couple of days when they should know that the seller is most likely several states away or even a continent away.

I guess I have been lucky the times I have used ebay. I have had great sellers who deserved the feedback that I left. They communicated with me beforehand, answered any questions I might have. I always leave feedback after receiving the item. I need to know that this is the item I have purchased. Thats just common sense.

Maraudar

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:50 pm 

Its always amazed me to read about how buyers seem to go nuts over not receiving thier items within a couple of days when they should know that the seller is most likely several states away or even a continent away.

Yes, buyers do tend to go a little nuts waiting for things to arrive but that's not the point.  Here is the point.  I win 2 auctions and pay for them right away.  Some 3 weeks go by and I have not heard word one from the seller.  Was I thanked?  No.  Was I told there was going to be a delay?  No.  Was there an emergency that the seller had to attend to?  I don't know but the seller did have time to list additional items to sell so my guess is no.  I send out 2 emails in the next 10 days and get no reply.  What am I supposed to think?  In my mind that is terrible customer service.  The items arrive and are good so I leave a positive FB although I mention the poor service.  And I get a negative in return?

Really I don't think it's unreasonable for a buyer to expect a little acknowledgement when they buy or win an auction.  Thanking me is what I prefer but anything will suffice but just acknowledge the fact that I exist.  Now let's reverse the scenario and you tell me what would happen if I, the buyer, did not pay nor did I communicate.  I would have to incur the wrath of an angry seller and I can guarantee you that they would not sit by patiently for 3 weeks.

PreviousNext