Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 56 of 111123 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:56 am 

Badmike wrote: I suspect he lived in a nearby pond and creek until the intense rains and flooding we had here in Texas caused him to seek higher ground several months ago.

Based upon my sources, you've either got a juvenile Tarrasque on your hands, or possibly the familiar of an evil sorcerer in turtle form. I recommend you teach this critter the art of the ninja in order to ensure its loyalty.

Speaking of legendary creatures of yore, there were a few horny toads at my son's daycamp a few years ago. Meaning either:
1. The elemental lord of horny toads has defeated the elemental lord of fire ants in spiritual combat, allowing a resurgence of this disappeared Texas lizard.
2. The pet store a hundred yards away has something to do with it, although there are a few too many busy streets for even a Frogger champion to cross.
3. Someone bought the lizards & set them loose in the camp for educational/nostalgic purposes.
4. An evil sorcerer has infested the grounds with horny toad familiars in order to steal the souls of our children [in which case D&D is to blame].

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:25 pm 

Interesting, because I have a female peacock (a "peahen") living in the woods around my house.

Hangs around hooting and honking and flapping its way up onto the roof.

Animal control says that they get loose sometimes and can live in the Northwest.

It has been here for two summers now.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:27 pm 

Winter in Texas?

How do you know?

Does the temperature drop from Hell to merely Inferno?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:09 pm 

gyg wrote:Didn't really want to start another thread for this so I thought I'd stick it here.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

The above auction has what looks like a 'deep' box, is this any rarer than usual and is it a UK specific thing?

While the UK Holmes set indeed has a deeper box than the US version, the set pictured in the auction above is not the UK version.  It has black sides, for one.

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:22 am 

FormCritic wrote:Does the temperature drop from Hell to merely Inferno?

Actually it's worse than that- in winter the temp swings rapidly from hot to cold every week or so, preventing acclimation to either extreme. A harsh climate fit only for monsterous beasts, creatures of chaos, & madmen.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:51 am 

deimos3428 wrote:While the UK Holmes set indeed has a deeper box than the US version, the set pictured in the auction above is not the UK version.  It has black sides, for one.

Are you saying that the UK version has black sides?....Or that the box in the picture has black sides?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:07 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Send me a pic, Mike. Once I know what kind it is I can help a bit more.

I'll coax Tater Tot (turtle's name) out tomorrow and get some pics....he's been living under the giant peppermint plants near the tree for some days now, every week or so he digs another little burrow and holes up for awhile.  
 BTW what do these things eat?  The vet told me crickets and grasshoppers, which the yard has in abundance, and we also have a strawberry patch (we he has denuded) and some tomato plants.  Anyway, he doesn't seem to be starving at all, as a matter of fact he looks healthier since he's been here.  Maybe ya'll can tell me more about his diet when we figure out what kind he is.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:07 am 

sauromatian wrote:
Actually it's worse than that- in winter the temp swings rapidly from hot to cold every week or so, preventing acclimation to either extreme. A harsh climate fit only for monsterous beasts, creatures of chaos, & madmen.

I've sighted all the above in my 40+ years here....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:03 am 

Tater Tot, that's good!
If he is a tortoise, he will eat most anything he can find. You could put some wet dog food out for him, just make sure it has low ash content.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:47 am 

My parents have gopher tortoises on their farm here in Florida.  They get to be pretty big.  My nephew caught one years ago and took it to his home in St. Louis for a pet.  My sister took the tortoise to the vet to have him checked out, only to be told that gopher tortoises are an endangered (threatened? not sure what level) species and she had to pay about $300 to have him shipped back to his "natural habitat".  They're pretty good to eat, from what I hear... (although I'm pretty sure no one in my family has eaten one in years).

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:13 am 

He could be a Berlandier's tortoise. They are native to TX.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:24 am 

FormCritic wrote:Are you saying that the UK version has black sides?....Or that the box in the picture has black sides?

I wasn't particularly salient there.  The UK version (3rd, 4th printings) has black sides:

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpage ... icfor.html

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:32 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:He could be a Berlandier's tortoise. They are native to TX.

Hrm.  Good call.  Mike, does it look like anything like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gopherus_berlandieri ?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:41 am 

g026r wrote:Hrm.  Good call.  Mike, does it look like anything like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gopherus_berlandieri ?

Or a slider turtle (red slider?): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachemys

Unfortunately, turtles are roadkill when driving the backroads from North Texas to Oklahoma.  Armadillos, eh, they can run and they are a bit ugly.  Turtles are slower and cuter than armadillos, and they just can't speed across a highway . . .

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:36 pm 

g026r wrote:
Hrm.  Good call.  Mike, does it look like anything like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gopherus_berlandieri ?

Wow, very similiar, that could be it.  Except that this guy lived in a creek and not grasslands..well, at least i think.  He could have come from anywhere since he was flooded out.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:51 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Neither set is specific to the UK.  Sauromatian is right...they are more specific to the US.

That's not completely true.  Some of the UK boxed sets although they match the US ones come with UK catalogs.

Last edited by Mars on Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:40 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Are you saying that the UK version has black sides?....Or that the box in the picture has black sides?

He means the turtle has black sides.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:58 pm 

I've got a ton of watchers (but only a few bids) on one item I put up as a featured listing on eBay but I've also started receiving spam questions - 2 so far, both the same content, different sellers who are now both banned (not by me reporting them I should add). Does this type of listing just attract spammers? Is it a waste of money? Anyone with any experience?

Should I start insulting the watchers in my item description, do you think?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 56 of 111123 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 109110111