Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 55 of 111123 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:38 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Hey, did anyone ever try this online game before?

http://winterrowd.com/maze/

Its wicked. :D

So you have nothing better to do on a Friday afternoon either eh Brian?

Bastard... :twisted:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:29 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
So you have nothing better to do on a Friday afternoon either eh Brian?

Bastard... :twisted:

:P

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:30 pm 

How about this insanity:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug ... &type=lgns

Nothing like a season killer on the 1st of September. I wonder if Michigan will not recover from a loss like this.  It kind of reminds me when PSU  lost to Toledo several years ago and it pretty much ruined that season and the next one. Crazy.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:38 pm 

Well, ASU is the defending AA champs. :lol:

Perfect excuse to let Carr go at the end of the season.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:11 pm 

Didn't really want to start another thread for this so I thought I'd stick it here.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DUNGEONS-AND-DRAG ... dZViewItem

The above auction has what looks like a 'deep' box, is this any rarer than usual and is it a UK specific thing?

(I won one recently and wonder  if it is worth selling on  
** expired/removed eBay auction **
)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:55 am 

gyg wrote:The above auction has what looks like a 'deep' box, is this any rarer than usual and is it a UK specific thing?

Not sure I understand your question- I don't see what's unusual [or UK-specific] about either of these boxed sets, both are very plentiful & cheap, & neither copy is in collectible condition.

Games Workshop was putting out its own UK editions of D&D when these boxed sets were made, so if anything they are US-specific.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:35 am 

gyg wrote:Didn't really want to start another thread for this so I thought I'd stick it here.

The above auction has what looks like a 'deep' box, is this any rarer than usual and is it a UK specific thing?

(I won one recently and wonder  if it is worth selling on  
)

You are looking at an auction for the Holmes Basic Set.

It held the blue booklet (matching the cover), B1 In Search of the Unknown and either a set of low impact dice or chits in place of dice.  Some boxes also contained the Gateway to Adventure ad packet.

(See Xaxaxe's avatar)

Note that the logos for the booklet and the box do not match.  The booklet has the wizard logo and the box has the earlier lizard logo.

These boxed sets tend to sell well in the $10 to $20 or so range, depending on condition.  The one for sale is not in that great of condition, but it is an early print box.

The one you have already purchased is a later boxed set...contents unknown.....although the Acaeum's notes should tell you.

Neither set is specific to the UK.  Sauromatian is right...they are more specific to the US.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:37 am 

Ok, time for turtle talk....

I know several people on this site have turtle knowledge...

I've had  a turtle living in my backyard all summer.  He seems quite happy hiding in the garden int he back yard, and sometimes swimming in the very small basin of water (he jumps in and turns around a couple of times every day or so, he can submerge himself but just barely).  Anyway he seems healthy and happy.  

However, he is basically confined to my (fairly large) backyard, as I "turtle proofed" it after he was inside, I didn't want him going in and out and maybe getting stuck.  Should I take any special preparations for the winter?  Is he going to hibernate?  Will he dig a hole or what?  I have a shed, but it has a lining around it at ground level to prevent critters from going underneath....should I remove it and let him hibernate there?  Any suggestions?

BTW I have no idea what type of turtle he is, he doesn't look like any turtle I've looked at online so I can't identify him. However, he is friendly and lets you pick him up, never snaps at you, etc.  I suspect he lived in a nearby pond and creek until the intense rains and flooding we had here in Texas caused him to seek higher ground several months ago.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:43 am 

Hi Badmike!

I have not had any dealings with turtles for over 20 years and our climate is much different when it comes to dealing with the critters.
It reaches -40 Fahrenheit here in the winter time.
You might want to tap into some of the online resources such as:

http://happyturtle.ms11.net/

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:22 am 

Send me a pic, Mike. Once I know what kind it is I can help a bit more.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:56 am 

Badmike wrote: I suspect he lived in a nearby pond and creek until the intense rains and flooding we had here in Texas caused him to seek higher ground several months ago.

Based upon my sources, you've either got a juvenile Tarrasque on your hands, or possibly the familiar of an evil sorcerer in turtle form. I recommend you teach this critter the art of the ninja in order to ensure its loyalty.

Speaking of legendary creatures of yore, there were a few horny toads at my son's daycamp a few years ago. Meaning either:
1. The elemental lord of horny toads has defeated the elemental lord of fire ants in spiritual combat, allowing a resurgence of this disappeared Texas lizard.
2. The pet store a hundred yards away has something to do with it, although there are a few too many busy streets for even a Frogger champion to cross.
3. Someone bought the lizards & set them loose in the camp for educational/nostalgic purposes.
4. An evil sorcerer has infested the grounds with horny toad familiars in order to steal the souls of our children [in which case D&D is to blame].

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:25 pm 

Interesting, because I have a female peacock (a "peahen") living in the woods around my house.

Hangs around hooting and honking and flapping its way up onto the roof.

Animal control says that they get loose sometimes and can live in the Northwest.

It has been here for two summers now.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:27 pm 

Winter in Texas?

How do you know?

Does the temperature drop from Hell to merely Inferno?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:09 pm 

gyg wrote:Didn't really want to start another thread for this so I thought I'd stick it here.

While the UK Holmes set indeed has a deeper box than the US version, the set pictured in the auction above is not the UK version.  It has black sides, for one.

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:22 am 

FormCritic wrote:Does the temperature drop from Hell to merely Inferno?

Actually it's worse than that- in winter the temp swings rapidly from hot to cold every week or so, preventing acclimation to either extreme. A harsh climate fit only for monsterous beasts, creatures of chaos, & madmen.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:51 am 

deimos3428 wrote:While the UK Holmes set indeed has a deeper box than the US version, the set pictured in the auction above is not the UK version.  It has black sides, for one.

Are you saying that the UK version has black sides?....Or that the box in the picture has black sides?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:07 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Send me a pic, Mike. Once I know what kind it is I can help a bit more.

I'll coax Tater Tot (turtle's name) out tomorrow and get some pics....he's been living under the giant peppermint plants near the tree for some days now, every week or so he digs another little burrow and holes up for awhile.  
 BTW what do these things eat?  The vet told me crickets and grasshoppers, which the yard has in abundance, and we also have a strawberry patch (we he has denuded) and some tomato plants.  Anyway, he doesn't seem to be starving at all, as a matter of fact he looks healthier since he's been here.  Maybe ya'll can tell me more about his diet when we figure out what kind he is.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:07 am 

sauromatian wrote:
Actually it's worse than that- in winter the temp swings rapidly from hot to cold every week or so, preventing acclimation to either extreme. A harsh climate fit only for monsterous beasts, creatures of chaos, & madmen.

I've sighted all the above in my 40+ years here....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 55 of 111123 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 109110111