Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 6 of 111123, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:22 am 

improvstone wrote:
The employees were a convienent excuse to blame someone else for any problems rather than the bright, happy, smart and kind college student.  :roll:

What college student were you describing!

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:04 pm 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17202448/?GT1=9033

This guy must have been a real prick.  No family or friends calling on him or stopping by.  What I want to know is who was paying his electric bill for the past year?  You would think after not getting a payment for a few months they would have turned off his electricity.  8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:27 pm 

This guy must have been a real prick. No family or friends calling on him or stopping by.

I know you're joking.. but when you get older your friends die and if you didn't have children, one could easily be left with no one around. Retirement probably didn't help because you wouldn't need to get out and about for work and meet new people.

What I want to know is who was paying his electric bill for the past year?  You would think after not getting a payment for a few months they would have turned off his electricity.

Many states can't cut off your electricity due to non-payment (like Texas).. or so I'm led to believe. They don't want people dying due to a lack of air conditioning (among other things).

Moreover, a lot of these electric companies require a deposit.. if it was something like a $250 deposit, one could probably live off that with just the TV on for about a year.

More reasonably, he was probably on government assistance as well as social security in which case the electric company may have gone to the government to pay the bills when they couldn't contact the guy upon his default (or when his deposit ran out).

In any event, that's a pretty weird story.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:09 pm 

Could also be that if he was computer-literate or knew someone who was, they could've set up the gov't. checks for Direct Deposit and all bills to be paid online; you could go quite a while without writing a check or using a credit card that way......

Also, remember it's not just electric; trash pickup, phone, sewer, wastewater, etc. also have to be paid (here all but trash pickup and  phone go through the city utilities dept.), needs to be paid.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:43 pm 

Still, you would think someone would notice something odd.  The mail would pile up whether he had a mailbox or a P.O. box.  Wouldnt someone at the post office or a mail carrier think "why the hell hasnt this guy retrieved his mail?"  Free newsletters, papers, or phone books piling up in the yard or on the porch.  Hell if I dont pick up the stupid free Plano paper out of my yard once a week it starts to look like a garbage dump.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:52 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Still, you would think someone would notice something odd.  The mail would pile up whether he had a mailbox or a P.O. box.  Wouldnt someone at the post office or a mail carrier think "why the hell hasnt this guy retrieved his mail?"  Free newsletters, papers, or phone books piling up in the yard or on the porch.  Hell if I dont pick up the stupid free Plano paper out of my yard once a week it starts to look like a garbage dump.

This story is pretty mild actually.  I've read tales of people being dead for many years in apartments with no one knowing...they had no relatives or friends, and they were set up to have money drawn directly from their accounts for services.  Often they are only discovered dead when the bank account is finally drained.  Most mail carriers will eventually just send the mail back return to sender, it's not their job to wonder why you suddenly stopped getting your junk mail.
  I'm sure I read of one awhile back in Germany that was pretty mind boggling.  I seem to think it was almost 20 years the guy had been dead.  Someone with more time on their hands than me might want to check google.....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:53 pm 

Look this up, Kosh!!!!  :D

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Last edited by Badmike on Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:25 pm 

Had the time on my hands so.....

http://www.goofball.com/news/991228_deadman

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:29 pm 

Here is a simple Army database snafu....merry christmas

http://www.goofball.com/news/200701061001

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:35 pm 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:Had the time on my hands so.....

http://www.goofball.com/news/991228_deadman

Only five years....I don't know where I got 20  :oops: . Still, pretty mindboggling. Just think, if you hadn't minded rooming with a corpse, someone could have had five rent free years living there......!

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:37 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Only five years....I don't know where I got 20  :oops: . Still, pretty mindboggling. Just think, if you hadn't minded rooming with a corpse, someone could have had five rent free years living there......!

Mike B.

Not doubt....but it would be hard to explain to your girlfriend why you lived with your mummy  :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:34 am 

FormCritic wrote:Only five days to the Daytona 500!

Well, Formcritic, what a finish!!!

And, sure enough, there are fans who are already saying:
A)  Stewart got taken out by Kurt Busch;
B)  It's a conspiracy against the little teams--this is regarding no yellow flag on the last lap crash;
C)  NASCAR favors Jeff Gordon/Dale Jr./whoever else;
D)  Mark Martin got screwed by no yellow flag; etc.
E)  Insert your favorite conspiracy here or somehow blame it on GW Bush and global warming :D  :D  :lol:  :lol: .

OK, my $.02:  While I do ask where was the yellow flag in the last-lap carnage, had one been thrown, who would've won would've depended on WHEN.  I think I counted at least three or four lead changes from mid-turn four to start/finish;  had this been Talladega, there could have been at least one more!!

[For those not familiar, Talladega is a near-twin to Daytona, but longer, wider, more banked.  Start/Finish line is at the end of Pit Road instead of the middle of the tri-oval at Daytona.]

Of course, given all that's happened this week at Daytona, maybe it would be fitting if Harvick's car was found to have something wrong enough for a penalty severe enough to give the race to Mark Martin.... :oops:  :oops:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:51 am 

ohhhhh yeah this is that car race isnt it where the cars just go round and round and round and round and.... ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:roll:

hehe

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:04 am 

killjoy32 wrote:ohhhhh yeah this is that car race isnt it where the cars just go round and round and round and round and.... ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:roll:

hehe

Al

Much better watching someone get lost in a desert and go round and round and round and round and....  :lol:

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:11 am 

....foreigners  :roll:  :roll:

Isn't soccor (that's french for 'Soccer') and rugby actually FOOTBALL?  :lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:41 am 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:....foreigners  :roll:  :roll:

Isn't soccor (that's french for 'Soccer') and rugby actually FOOTBALL?  :lol:

but then isnt a ball ROUND?

and what is it with the wusses running round with like armour plating on or what ? :D

and oh yeah, we were playing FOOTBALL when you lot were still playing cowboys and indians so  :P

:D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:43 am 

improvstone wrote:
Much better watching someone get lost in a desert and go round and round and round and round and....  :lol:

hey i didnt get lost! :)

and you dont go round and round either....

dunno if you heard that story about the Italian guy some years back who got lost? he appeared 2 weeks later in Algeria. They still dont know to this day how the hell he survived :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:07 am 

..But Al he did die.  He was just too stuborn to lay down and admit it.  :wink:  :lol:

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 6 of 111123, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 109110111