Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 49 of 111123 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:45 pm 

Ok, admittedly, I'm a Dallas Cowboy homer....

But did anyone else tear up a little at WR Michael Irvin's Hall of Fame acceptance speech?

Just watched a re-broadcast on TV tonight.  Man, that had to be one of the most honestly heartfelt speeches ever.  Didn't offer any excuses, didn't apologize, just asked for forgiveness...and told his two sons to be better men and fathers than he was.  

My brother mentioned while we were watching it "Funny thing is, don't you think fans of the Bears (Tank Johnson), Titans (Pacman Jones), and Falcons (Michael Vick) wished they had athletes that ONLY were caught with hookers and dope?" Nowadays Irvin's off the field stuff is pretty tame....who wouldn't take dope smoking over owning an unregistered arsenal of handguns (Johnson), shooting up strip clubs (Jones), and running dogfighting rings (Vick)???  Oh hell I even forgot about Chris Henry (Bengals) and his series of problems with alchohol and underage women.  Irvin's "troubles" look positively quaint now.....

And for all you Cowboys fans, all the signs in training camp point to the defense being a MONSTER this year....Every day it's becoming more and more obvious Parcells didn't have a clue about the 3-4, and Wade Phillips is going to do his magic (every defense he's ever coached as been in the top ten in the league) and get these guys rolling. There is going to be huge things ahead for Demarcus Ware, Roy Williams, and the rest when Phillips lets them loose....

BTW The first ever Cowboys QB "Dandy" Don Meredith was honored at the HOF dinner as an honorary member in their broadcaster wing. Who can forget the dozen years of him, Cosell and Gifford changing the entire way football was broadcast?  I remember being allowed to stay up way past my bedtime when the Cowboys played a Monday night game, and the repartee between Don and Howard was just legendary.  Sadly, Don is a bit a recluse now, and supposedly it's from a lot of memory loss (not unusual for football players of an earlier era when equipment and medical advice was more primitive).  It's a damn shame the state of the NFL compensation system for past football players---basically, they aren't allowed to declare disability as a result of playing football, as the NFL fights every case tooth and nail....like it wasn't because of the 20 or so concussions they had on the field they have memory loss, it would have happened anyway.... :roll:   Anyway it was good to see Meredith still healthy and telling the jokes, and singing "Turn out the lights..."

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:26 am 

well sod all you other teams, the jets are gonna do good this time round!

*yeah right i say that every year*

:)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:43 am 

Michael Irvin. Isn't he the guy who showed up for his court case in a fur coat and sunglasses?
Ah well, I got $100 with 17 to 1 odds on the Pats winning it all. Not quite the 52 to 1 I got in 2001, but it's a good bet.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:18 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Michael Irvin. Isn't he the guy who showed up for his court case in a fur coat and sunglasses?
Ah well, I got $100 with 17 to 1 odds on the Pats winning it all. Not quite the 52 to 1 I got in 2001, but it's a good bet.

You're kidding!  Who was the goof that gave you that? I hear Vegas is pretty much running 2-1 odds on the Pats, you got a steal.  Then again, Moss is going to work his magic on that team pretty soon....he's the Alex Rodriquez of football...great stats, no soul.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:12 am 

Badmike wrote:Then again, Moss is going to work his magic on that team pretty soon....he's the Alex Rodriquez of football...great stats, no soul.

Mike B.

Like he did with the Raiders?  Sorry Mike...gotta disagree with you there.  Yeah I know, he didnt have the quality quarterback with the Raiders that he has now with Brady, but frankly I dont think it will make much difference.  Moss is a whiny, lazy punk and hopefully he will pull his hammy and sit the bench for the majority of the season.  :twisted:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:35 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Like he did with the Raiders?  Sorry Mike...gotta disagree with you there.  Yeah I know, he didnt have the quality quarterback with the Raiders that he has now with Brady, but frankly I dont think it will make much difference.  Moss is a whiny, lazy punk and hopefully he will pull his hammy and sit the bench for the majority of the season.  :twisted:

You misunderstood my deep, deep sarcasm, by his "magic", I meant the whining discontent that has followed his career when not thrown the ball 25 times a game, and the funks he goes into because of that.  I give the over/under at 5 games before he shows his disatisfaction at Brady for not making him the focal part of the offense...and starts taking plays off.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:22 pm 

Please..its the Packers year, course maybe Brett's last.
Mainly my joy will be in that Chicago has no hope :twisted:

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:27 pm 

Raiders football baby!! DEFENCE!! :D

(sorry used to live in LA ...home team and all that,well not now obviously :oops: )

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:30 pm 

look just stop arguing, the jets are going all the way this time, so just give it up :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:05 pm 

Is that Swervin' Michael Irvin? He was on his rookie year I think as I was tuning out of the sport, if it's the same guy. For me there was Joe Montana and then the rest. I loathed the 49ers, mostly because with Joe throwing, Rice catching and Craig running, 2 min warning, 6 points down, 4th and 20 on their own 1yd was a sure fire winning position for those guys. Every bloody time! Can't imagine any team has come along since that matched the 49ers in their pomp. Mind you I was current when the 'Fridge' was hauling has fat behind around the place. Couldn't tell you who won the last Superbowl.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:17 pm 

megnelwil wrote:Is that Swervin' Michael Irvin? He was on his rookie year I think as I was tuning out of the sport, if it's the same guy. For me there was Joe Montana and then the rest. I loathed the 49ers, mostly because with Joe throwing, Rice catching and Craig running, 2 min warning, 6 points down, 4th and 20 on their own 1yd was a sure fire winning position for those guys. Every bloody time! Can't imagine any team has come along since that matched the 49ers in their pomp. Mind you I was current when the 'Fridge' was hauling has fat behind around the place. Couldn't tell you who won the last Superbowl.

You missed the latest Cowboys dynasty.   Three superbowls in four years, several hall of famers (Aikman and Irvin already in, Emmitt Smith and Larry Allen going in the next few years), one broken all time rushing record (Smith).  Hell you missed the Broncos, Rams and Pats runs as well. I actually feel sorry for you....some good football the last 20 years!

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:20 pm 

One of the guys I play cards with is a bookie. I get stupid odds because he's been paying my bills for years thru poker, and I refuse to book with him unless I get stellar odds. He desperately wants to win against me at SOMETHING, the money is irrelevant to him.
I screwed up too, it's 12 to 1. 17 to 1 was last year. I'm still gambling on his dime, will be for the rest of my life in fact.
Moss will either produce or be out of football. He knows it. If he washes out with the Pats, no one will touch him.
Welker is the one to watch. Mark my words. He won't have thousands of yards, but he'll get first downs on 3rd and long.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:20 am 

Cushionsnbeans wrote:Raiders football baby!! DEFENCE!! :D

(sorry used to live in LA ...home team and all that,well not now obviously :oops: )

I would say that the Raiders had better play good defense.  They haven't got an offense.

We are on the seventh round in our league's fantasy football draft.  No Raiders taken yet.  None.

I just picked up Tony Romo, by the way...in the 6th round.

So far:   Steven Jackson (RB), Antonio Gates (TE), Cedric Benson (RB), T.J. Houshmanzadeh (WR), Anquan Boldin (WR) and now Tony Romo (QB).

If the rest of the draft goes this well...championship!  The Yardbirds are on the march, baby!   :twisted:   Monster Bowl VII here we come!  :twisted:

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:24 am 

FormCritic wrote:So far:   Steven Jackson (RB)

Huh.. would have thought him too old for a second career after pen-&-pencil games. Oh wait, you must mean the British Steve Jackson.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:48 am 

sauromatian wrote:Oh wait, you must mean the British Steve Jackson.

Does this mean actual, live Blood Bowl then? 8O  :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:01 am 

FormCritic wrote:
We are on the seventh round in our league's fantasy football draft.  No Raiders taken yet.  None.

I just picked up Tony Romo, by the way...in the 6th round.

So far:   Steven Jackson (RB), Antonio Gates (TE), Cedric Benson (RB), T.J. Houshmanzadeh (WR), Anquan Boldin (WR) and now Tony Romo (QB).

If the rest of the draft goes this well...championship!  The Yardbirds are on the march, baby!   :twisted:   Monster Bowl VII here we come!  :twisted:

Mark  8)

Speaking of fantasy football, I floated the idea of an Acaeum league in the Friday night chat a couple of weeks ago.  Would there be any interest in such a league?  It would be free to play and administered online (probably at Yahoo).  

This would be a relaxed "fun" league rather than an ultra-competitive, screw the competition at all costs type league.  All experience levels from first timer to expert would be welcome.  

Thoughts?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:05 am 

For all the bluster I have been reading, only one team has a win so far.

Pittsburgh Steelers

:thumleft:

bombadil wrote:...There was a pile of heads stacked up around me at the end of every day.  Very cold work.  No gloves, blowing snow, bloody knife handle slippery as hell...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:12 pm 

khartsfield wrote:For all the bluster I have been reading, only one team has a win so far.

Pittsburgh Steelers

:thumleft:

That game was not good news for the Saints.  Not at all.  8O

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 49 of 111123 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 109110111