Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 48 of 111123 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:21 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
IF Rob were to use OD&D rules, how would he explain his particular version of the rules to his convention open play players?

What supplements would he use or not use?

Since OD&D has been in a deep freeze for 30 years, how would anyone know what to do or where to look?

well you could always have supplements to hand....

anyway what do i know :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:17 pm 

FormCritic wrote:IF Rob were to use OD&D rules, how would he explain his particular version of the rules to his convention open play players?
What supplements would he use or not use?
Since OD&D has been in a deep freeze for 30 years, how would anyone know what to do or where to look?

When I ran an OD&D game, I made photocopied booklets of the relevant stuff from the white box, Outdoor Survival, & early issues of The Dragon.

The Rule Cyclopedia would be the easiest way to go about it. That's just one volume, is only about 15 years old, & has the essential rules characteristics: unarmored AC is 9, clerics use 2D6 to turn undead, etc.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:48 pm 

Sorry to interupt happy thoughts.   The Highway 35W bridge that crosses the Mississippi River, here in Minneapolis, MN collapsed (about 1/2 mile from my home).   There were up to 300 cars on the bridge at the time of collapse.   Can't reach two of my gaming buddies that we coming over to game tonight.  They use that bridge to get here and should have been here right at the time the bridge collapsed.    Please think of us here in Minneapolis tonight.  

Thanks all.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:55 pm 

Guido-the-Gypsy wrote:Sorry to interupt happy thoughts.   The Highway 35W bridge that crosses the Mississippi River, here in Minneapolis, MN collapsed (about 1/2 mile from my home).   There were up to 300 cars on the bridge at the time of collapse.   Can't reach two of my gaming buddies that we coming over to game tonight.  They use that bridge to get here and should have been here right at the time the bridge collapsed.    Please think of us here in Minneapolis tonight.  

Thanks all.

Sorry to hear that Paul.  I was actually just reading about the bridge collapse on Yahoo just a few minutes ago.  Heres hoping that they are just stuck in the traffic caused by this horrific accident.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:07 pm 

Guido,
I just got home and am watching the bridge story on CNN.
Please let us know if your friends are ok.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:13 pm 

I know I haven't really been here long enough for you to have any idea who I am but, well, hopefully your friends are okay.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:20 pm 

No word yet.   Your eyes can play funny tricks on you when you are freaked out and watching the news.   I could swear I see the car that they drive, but my wife is convinced that it is someone elses.   

Thanks for the support, all.   Appreciated more than you know.

Just heard 23 seriously injured, 6 critical, and one deceased.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:16 pm 

Good news.   Everyone is accounted for.   Whew!!!  Scary.   They were caught in traffic and could not make any calls out because cell phone networks were bogged down with all the activity.

Six confirmed dead now.   I suspect that it will only get worse.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:53 pm 

Glad to hear your friends are ok. Looks like a lot of other people were not so lucky.
CNN just interviewed an emergency center worker who said that they believe that there are as many as 50 cars submerged.

Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:13 pm 

It would not suprise me.   The bridge is 2000 feet long and 4 lanes going each way.   The side under construction is down to two lanes, but the cars were bumper to bumper.    If one assumes that a car is 15' long, the math is pretty simple and scary.   No telling how many cars were on the side that had all 4 lanes open.    To top it off, the Twins game started only 50 minutes after the collapes.   The stadium is only 1/4 mile from the bridge.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:53 pm 

Quote from the CNN website:
Gov. Tim Pawlenty said inspections of the 40-year-old bridge in 2005 and 2006 found no structural defects, but a 2001 study conducted by the Minnesota Department of Transportation found "several fatigue problems" in the bridge's approach spans and "poor fatigue details" on the main truss.

The study suggested that the design of bridge's main truss could cause a collapse if one of two support planes were to become cracked, although it allowed that a collapse might not occur in that event. But, the study concluded, "fatigue cracking of the deck truss is not likely" and "replacement of the bridge ... may be deferred."

I guess they will not have to defer it any longer...

Secrets of Tibet

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:05 am 

heard all about it earlier on the news, glad your people are safe Guido.

Puts what we write about, and get passionate about here into a bit of perspective (as many news items tend to do). Another reminder that we should all count our blessings.

(Note to self - be particularly nice to the wife and kids when arriving home from work)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:25 am 

paul! i am very glad that you and your friends are alright. i've only just logged on and saw this. didnt even know about it until you mentioned it (i rarely watch the new etc).

my best wishes to you and y'all there.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:57 am 

I agree, puts all in perspective.   My bus ride over the bridge was surreal this morning as everyone was looking out the windows at the collapse.    It really hits you when you see something on the news of this magnitude and then actually see it in person.   Wow.

Here is the local news -
http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1338294.html

And one where the finger pointing has already started -
http://www.startribune.com/10204/story/1339411.html

Ahhh, politics.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:03 pm 

Just watching pictures of this on the evening news.  Terrifying.  I hope that no-one you know has been cought up in this.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:44 am 

Reminds me of the Silver Bridge collapse here in WV years ago. It crossed the Ohio River at Point Pleasant.  Some might now that story.

Things like this should never happen when it comes down to maintenance and inspection.

Hmm, no, I don't have a gambling problem, I'm winning, and winning is not a problem. That's like saying Michael Jordan has a basketball problem, or Def Leppard has an awesomeness problem. So why don't y'all pour some sugar on that?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:19 pm 

Guido-the-Gypsy wrote:Good news.   Everyone is accounted for.   Whew!!!  Scary.   They were caught in traffic and could not make any calls out because cell phone networks were bogged down with all the activity.

Six confirmed dead now.   I suspect that it will only get worse.

Hey Paul, good to hear that your freinds are all okay.  

It also seems this is turning out to be not as bad as originally feared:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070803/ap_ ... e_collapse

It really is a miracle that this didn't turn out to as bad as it could have and thank God for that. :)  Watching the footage of the actual collapse is both scary and crazy.  How exactly does the whole bridge just freaking give out  :? :

http://www.break.com/index/security-tap ... lapse.html

Seriously, some people need to spend long some years in jail over this kind of irresponsible BS that led up to this. This kind stuff should not be happening in any country in the west.  I mean its not like we live in the freaking Congo or something where they can't afford to fix it or that we don't have the man power or know how how to prevent this kind of stuff from happening. There is no excuses on this one...

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:21 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Hey Paul, good tyo hear that your freinds are okay.  

It also seems this is turning out to be not as bad as originally feared:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070803/ap_ ... e_collapse

It really is a miracle that this didn't turn out to as bad as it could have and thank God for that. :)  Watching the footage of the actual collapse is both scary and crazy.  How exactly does the whole bridge just freaking giove out  :? :

http://www.break.com/index/security-tap ... lapse.html

Seriously, some people need to spend some years in jail over this kind of irresponsible BS that led up to this. This kind stuff should not be happening in any country in the west.

well considering how important the motor industry is to the american way of life, including politics, its amazing things like this happen! i would have though these kinda things would be obscenely high on any governmental list of priorities?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 48 of 111123 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 109110111