Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 41 of 100123 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 9899100
Author


Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 2709
Joined: Feb 10, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 26, 2021
Location: Olde London Towne

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:27 pm 
 

aaah, but UK politics is all mellow now (man), since all our politicians are stoned...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6907040.stm


Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 450
Joined: Jun 24, 2007
Last Visit: Sep 17, 2012
Location: UK

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:27 pm 
 

Beats me why you ever got rid of Martin Sheen.

  

User avatar

Active Collector

Posts: 98
Joined: Sep 03, 2006
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2013
Location: WV

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:36 pm 
 

I am not ashamed...I'll be buying my copy of the Deathly Hallows at midnight.


Hmm, no, I don't have a gambling problem, I'm winning, and winning is not a problem. That's like saying Michael Jordan has a basketball problem, or Def Leppard has an awesomeness problem. So why don't y'all pour some sugar on that?

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4745
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 18, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:37 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:hey we werent allowed to get into UK politics, so how is it fair to talk US politics :)


Who's talking politics?  Mentioning a story about the prez getting a colonoscopy and at the same time commenting about him finally getting his head out of his ass is hardly "talking politics".  :D


You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 24, 2020

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:49 pm 
 

Cattledog wrote:I am not ashamed...I'll be buying my copy of the Deathly Hallows at midnight.


Wooot!  Deathly Hallows!  Wooot!

We have our bracelets for the Harry Potter party at the local Barnes and Noble store tonight.  Books go out at midnight...wooot!

Sad to think the series is coming to an end.  It has been a fun ride.  :cry:


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:07 pm 
 

FormCritic wrote:
Wooot!  Deathly Hallows!  Wooot!

We have our bracelets for the Harry Potter party at the local Barnes and Noble store tonight.  Books go out at midnight...wooot!

Sad to think the series is coming to an end.  It has been a fun ride.  :cry:


i thought the last film was absolute pants



  

User avatar

Active Collector

Posts: 98
Joined: Sep 03, 2006
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2013
Location: WV

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:07 pm 
 

Few books or series of books have meant as much to me as Harry Potter. I'm actually a little nervous waiting.


Hmm, no, I don't have a gambling problem, I'm winning, and winning is not a problem. That's like saying Michael Jordan has a basketball problem, or Def Leppard has an awesomeness problem. So why don't y'all pour some sugar on that?

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4475
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Jan 26, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:27 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:
i thought the last film was absolute pants


And thanks again to the English-to-American dictionary, I understand this :)

ShaneG.


I reject your reality and substitute my own

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6067
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 14, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:35 pm 
 

I just watched what has been labeled by the announcers as "the greatest moment in American sports" - how many of you saw this too?  Joey Chestnut has defeated Kobayashi in the great American Independence Day classic to bring the title back home after a 9 year drought.  Kobayashi had won the past 6 six years but was defeated this year with a world record setting 66 hot dogs to Kobayashi's 63 (which also beat the previous world record).  It amazes me how much these can stuff down their throats in 12 minutes.

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1250
Joined: Jan 01, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 26, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:19 pm 
 

Plaag wrote:
And thanks again to the English-to-American dictionary, I understand this :)

ShaneG.


I guess the producers of the film can kiss Al's chuddies...

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4745
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 18, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:03 pm 
 

Mars wrote:I just watched what has been labeled by the announcers as "the greatest moment in American sports" - how many of you saw this too?  Joey Chestnut has defeated Kobayashi in the great American Independence Day classic to bring the title back home after a 9 year drought.  Kobayashi had won the past 6 six years but was defeated this year with a world record setting 66 hot dogs to Kobayashi's 63 (which also beat the previous world record).  It amazes me how much these can stuff down their throats in 12 minutes.


Whoever said that a hot dog eating contest was "The Greatest Moment in American Sports" has got my vote for the biggest asshat in the world.  Hot Dog Eating is not a sport.  Hot Dog Eating is a contest.

Now if it was a contest to see how many habanero peppers they could eat before passing out from the pain....maybe I could consider that a sport.  :shaking2:


You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6067
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 14, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:08 pm 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Now if it was a contest to see how many habanero peppers they could eat before passing out from the pain....maybe I could consider that a sport.  :shaking2:


He wasn't there but the jalapeno pepper eating champ was there and so was the girl who could eat more than 10% of her body weight in cheesecake - she's nicknamed "the black widow".  It seemed like everyone there was an eating champ of something: spam, watermelon, fried asparagus, etc.  One guy was a vegetarian except he eats meat for competition.

One of the announcers was one of the guys who regularly does auto racing commentary (like IRL and the Indy 500 stuff).

For anyone who missed the moment, it's up on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V-2NKUlzns

Sport or contest? You decided.  It should also be noted that Kobayashi was competing with an injury - he had a sore jaw but his acupuncturist was there with him and prep'd him for competition - no I'm not kidding.  His injury did show at the end though:  :puker: .

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3793
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 17, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:46 pm 
 

Been meaning to post this for a while.

Are any of you Texas boys fans of the 13th Floor Elevators?  

Man, that song Splash 1 is un-fricken-believable.  I love those guys.

'Course, I am into the psychedelic perspective...


Let mirth prevail!

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7942
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 25, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:10 am 
 

bombadil wrote:Been meaning to post this for a while.

Are any of you Texas boys fans of the 13th Floor Elevators?  

Man, that song Splash 1 is un-fricken-believable.  I love those guys.

'Course, I am into the psychedelic perspective...


Roky Erickson is the MAN!

You can still run into the dude if you live in Austin and hang around the right clubs for awhile....he's actually playing some gigs nowadays! His mental health problems are basically gone due to medication, and he's actually traveling around the US occasionally for concerts.

It's a damn shame what happened to him (read wikipedia entry if you want some info, sad story), but it's great he's finally getting the kudos due him for being a pioneer in psychedelic rock....

Favs:  You're Gonna Miss Me, Rollercoaster, Red Temple Prayer, Fire Engine...

Funny story, I once played "Red Temple Prayer" for a fellow music afficiando that knew little about Roky, afterwards he thought about if for awhile and said "Well, it's the best song I've ever heard where the chorus contains the worlds "Two Headed Dog......"

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 24, 2020

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:33 am 
 

OK...10:35!

Almost time to pack the kids into the van and head to over the Barnes and Noble!

We do it for the fun of being part of a historical event...and the Harry Potter novels are publishing history.

Woot!


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4475
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Jan 26, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:48 am 
 

FormCritic wrote:OK...10:35!

Almost time to pack the kids into the van and head to over the Barnes and Noble!

We do it for the fun of being part of a historical event...and the Harry Potter novels are publishing history.

Woot!


You'll have to tell us how long the line was. Thats all they sort of showed on the news was the lines and how long people have waited in them :?

ShaneG.


I reject your reality and substitute my own

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3793
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 17, 2021

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:45 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:
Roky Erickson is the MAN!

You can still run into the dude if you live in Austin and hang around the right clubs for awhile....he's actually playing some gigs nowadays! His mental health problems are basically gone due to medication, and he's actually traveling around the US occasionally for concerts.



Sounds like a damn good reason to visit Austin!

Yeah, he's a freakin' genious.


Let mirth prevail!

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 24, 2020

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:43 pm 
 

Plaag wrote:
You'll have to tell us how long the line was. Thats all they sort of showed on the news was the lines and how long people have waited in them :?

ShaneG.


Well, the local Barnes and Noble had a crowd of some hundreds packed into the rather large local store.

I had visited the store in the morning and I picked up two coded bracelets (letter and color to show place in line).  We had pre-ordered the book, so we were in the mid part of the first 200 or so people.

My wife read the first three chapters of the book out loud for us, so we ended up going to bed something like 2:30 AM.

Mark


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5617
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 25, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:26 pm 
 

We went to Wally World at 10:30 AM, picked up a copy from a huge stack, and did a bit of grocery shopping too. My wife is a serious Potterphile; I could give a shit personally. The movies were OK, with the last one being the most boring. Although that insane chick, Fellatrix or something, was pretty scrumptious.
So can anyone illuminate my minute intellect as to why this series is so popular?


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3793
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 17, 2021

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:45 pm 
 

I tried reading one once, can't recall which one it was.  Found it insanely boring.  Too much long-winded dialogue.  I prefer dialogue the way Hemingway and Bukowski wrote it.


Let mirth prevail!

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 41 of 100123 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 9899100