Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 42 of 111123 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:36 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:I'm beginning to regret my original post about the chick publications handout.
I have to remember that a forum is like the unwritten rules of walking into a strange bar:
1. Don't bring up anything about politics
2. Don't bring up anything about religion

:oops:

3.  Don't bring up anything about college football (for some people this substitutes as both politics AND religion..)

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:46 pm 

I think most of us here are mature enough to discuss most any subject without getting angry or hurling insults, well...except for college football.  :P

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:03 pm 

There are obvious exceptions to the rule, of course. But not many.....

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:55 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:There are obvious exceptions to the rule, of course. But not many.....

...and as long as their name isnt frank :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:36 pm 

Hehe, true true. My religious beliefs are quite simple (no, not atheist), and are quite acepting of other religions.
Sooooooooooooooooooooo.................
Anyone else find it amusing that North Korea agreed to shut down its reactor, now that they have about 20 bombs worth of material? Oh, and let's not forget the enormous amounts of oil and aid.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:57 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Hehe, true true. My religious beliefs are quite simple (no, not atheist), and are quite acepting of other religions.
Anyone else find it amusing that North Korea agreed to shut down its reactor, now that they have about 20 bombs worth of material? Oh, and let's not forget the enormous amounts of oil and aid.

Wall Street Journal just ran an enormous article about how the UN money given to North Korea that was supposed to feed their people is going to high level officials instead (over 13 thousand people a year in North Korea die of starvation  8O )  And Time ran an article that said of 3 billion in their national economy, over 1 billion is earned by illegal harvested drugs (mostly heroin and opium), counterfeit cigarettes, and counterfeit money (mostly 100 dollar bills, 4 million which has been seized in the US).  It's pretty obvious, having no visible means of supporting itself, North Korea isgoing to have to resort to nuclear blackmail in the future to be able to keep the upper class in the country satiated.  

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:59 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:...

The guy in charge (forget his name) is no dummy...even though the people of SNL portray him as one...

A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:04 am 

thats almost as interesting as the UK doing a nationwide smoking ban from 1st july, yet the government quietly pays £80m a year to the UN towards subsidising the tobacco industry.

go figure that one.

i dont know the exact details. my mother rants on about it at least every other time i see her and it gets tiring listening to it.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:26 am 

Korea at night:

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:56 am 

Go TEAM AMERICA..F*** Yeah! :)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:41 am 

The press taking a snipe at D&D:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19766590/

I love how "Dungeons & Dragons" is responsible for them starving their children.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:33 am 

Not that I want to start a running thread on "weird news stories from around the world" (which, heaven knows would be easy enough these days), but looking at that D&D story on msnbc, I noticed this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19766133/

Woman shot from afar while singing at bar ....  8O

... talk about really hating your partner's singing!

(also, I rather liked the alliteration in the headline)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:39 am 

dbartman wrote:The press taking a snipe at D&D:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19766590/

I love how "Dungeons & Dragons" is responsible for them starving their children.

On the upside, if they were playing D&D online, then it was 3.x Edition and therefor NOT really D&D, so its all good.

:wink:

bombadil wrote:...There was a pile of heads stacked up around me at the end of every day.  Very cold work.  No gloves, blowing snow, bloody knife handle slippery as hell...

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:42 am 

Hmmm, OK, not alliteration, just plain rhyme.  Teach me to try and be smarty-pants.

Let's go fly a kite

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:45 am 

khartsfield wrote:
On the upside, if they were playing D&D online, then it was 3.x Edition and therefor NOT really D&D, so its all good.

:wink:

With 3E, it probably took them all that time just to work out one combat  :wink: If they were playing old school stylee - then they would have enough free time to juggle domestic chores and dice-rolling!

Let's go fly a kite

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:11 pm 

red_bus wrote:
With 3E, it probably took them all that time just to work out one combat  :wink: If they were playing old school stylee - then they would have enough free time to juggle domestic chores and dice-rolling!

as i say, i took my daughter along to a thing last month and while looking around, we ended up watching a game of dungeon delve. the layout of the dungeon was fab! oh i so wish i had that for my games, but watching the folk play was soooo damn boring. there was not ONE element of role=playing going on, just discussion about bonuses and feats and arguing over rules. there were loads of folk watching and to me, there couldnt be a worse deterrant for a game. mind you, maybe the younger folk are impressed by that?

for me it just reinforced why i dont like 3e related games.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:36 pm 

And, on a totally non-political or religious topic:

This week I ran the first "module" I have used in a while:

1)  I purchased PDF maps of a citadel, a wizard's tower and a pirate ship from 0one games, and I printed out the maps I needed in blue ink.  (Oone products are $1.65 or $1.99 apiece on RPGNow, and they are highly utilitarian...you can take out or put in the grid lines and there are other options.)

2)  I used the Jamis Buck online NPC generator to create advanced stone giants and bugbears (and copied them to Word so I could modify to taste).  

3)  I got the advanced harpy stats from D20 Online and also modified using Word.

4)  I printed out two exotic monsters from a PDF of the Monster Manual III

5)  I quickly drew a large scale map and a local area map on 11x17 graph paper (from Staples) and....presto!

I put all of it in a folio notebook and the entire effect is very much like holding a module in my hands.  Except for the larger 11x17 maps, the entire adventure was created electronically.

Having barely survived the previous adventure in my campaign...which is located on a moon-sized planet half in darkness and half in light...the party walked out of Nightside's frigid sea of ash, the Mare Frigoris, toward the Mons Phyrrus and the darksider steading of Piraeus.  They found Wako Pass garrisoned as expected...but not by darkside elves.  Instead, a force of bugbears and stone giants occupied the old guard tower.  Three of the player characters moved into overwatch on the tower with dune rifles while the other six reached its main gate cloaked by invisibility.  They stormed the tower....

This is a lead-in to the steading of Piraeus, which has been occupied by powerful humanoids.  The players are about to discover what has only been hinted at so far....the existence of The Stormbringer Juggernaught (right from Goodman's Dungeon Crawl Classics, but modified to fit my campaign).  Owning The Stormbringer Juggernaught on PDF allows me to lift and modify portions of that module to meet my storyline needs.

Anyway...interesting to me because most of the adventure is printed from electronic format...allowing me to mix and match and saving me much time.  Also, the flexibility of the 3.5 rules allows for highly varied monster stats and unpredictable challenges.

What are you up to at the moment?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:52 pm 

By the way...

My current campaign asks the musical question.....

"What if Frank Herbert's Dune had a four-way crash on the moon with Michael Moorcock's Elric novels and Roger Zelazney's Amber novels and Judges Guild's The Portals of Twilight....and a D&D campaign broke out?"

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Last edited by FormCritic on Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 42 of 111123 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 109110111