Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 39 of 111123 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:49 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
11 shows built around babies and childcare...to hawk their greatest hits album.

Sounds like they will do better with the concerts than with the album.

"Greatest hits album?" Shouldn't that be a single?

"We were put on this Earth to fart around."
                            - Kurt Vonnegut

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:13 pm 

Holy shit! Aren't they like 60 now? They didn't even have anything to offer BEFORE.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:18 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Holy shit! Aren't they like 60 now? They didn't even have anything to offer BEFORE.

They had plenty to offer, it's just that none of it was musical.  :wink:

Nah, scratch that. They were ALL "Scary Spice!"

- Kurt Vonnegut

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:11 pm 

I was going to post this somewhere else, but I realized it needed more spotlighting and discussion:

Finally started looking through some of the Free Game Day stuff.....stumbled upon Wicked Fantasy Factory's "Temple of Blood", a low level D&D module made under the label of Goodman Games. Apparantly, the kidz playing D&D nowadays are not excited with simple decapitation and killing opponents.  I can't even make this stuff up, I'll just quote it the flavor:

Wicked Fantasy Factory's mission is to publish d20 fantasy roleplaying adventures with more juice than previous adventures — way more juice. In our adventures, players control heroes that clash with mighty opponents, shake the world, score phat lewt, and blast their enemies to smithereens.

What Makes Us Different?
Our adventures are badass, over-the-top, and WICKED SICK! We accomplish this with a strong eye for adventure design and our goals clearly in mind. Characters are heroes from level 1, and they fight opponents worthy of challenging them. In addition, a number of game design mechanics support our mission. The exact rules are currently in playtesting, but for now I'll tell you that you get to hack your way through hordes of minions, face real danger at the end, score the phattest lewt, and create your own maneuvers to bring serious pain to your enemies!

Some explanations:

Phat Lewt!
All WFF adventures have awesome loot scattered throughout, but only one piece of Phal Lewt, somewhere in the adventure---maybe in the boss's stash, maybe in some secret room. This piece of Phat Lewt is---wait for it---worth at least as much as the rest of the adventure's treasure combined! Yes, that's right: WFF adventures provide double the normal amount of treasure compared to your standard adventrure, and half that loot is wrapped up in a single item. That means there's at least one crazy-cool piece of loot in each adventure, and it also means that GMs can easily remove the phat lewt if they prefer adventures of a poorer nature.

Once again, I'M NOT MAKING THIS UP.
More goodies:

You chop the monster. It dies. Cool, but how much cooler would it be if you planted a foot on its chest, ripped out its arms, and golf clubbed it out of the dungeon? In WFF adventures, heroes have finishing moves. Each hero gets to make up his own finishing moves...the most important thing about finishing moves is that they are flashy and over-the-top. Think video games in which you dismember, decapitate, and explode your opponent---and seven rib cages clatter from the sky.  You want your finishing move to strike terror into your enemies; to make even the staunchest dragon piddle its scales when it sees you tear out it's aly's intestines, or incinerate its head with a blast of fire, or plug arrows into---BAM! BAM! BAM!---both eyes and its crotch!

Once again..not making this up.

I'm speechless.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:33 pm 

*smacks forhead*

Yikes!! If it wasn't so sad it would be almost funny.  :?  

I really surprised that they didn't also include in this adventure kewl n00 skilzz that R teh roxxoors!!!!!one!!11eleven!!one1  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:42 pm 

Good God!  What a disgusting excuse for a module.   8O

And so damn typical of this trend we see now ... more blood, more guts, more gore ...

You know why I have TiVo?

Two reasons: Football, of course, and to try to insulate my children from the revolting commercials that want to push the envelope on everything, from crap like CSI to movies like Saw, I don't even want to see the ads myself, much less expose my kids to this kind of sickening, sophomoric nonsense.

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Last edited by Keith the Thief on Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:59 pm 

If you roll a 20 on your finishing blow do you get to do an extreme decapitation?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:10 pm 

My dad was in the Army in World War II, in the Medical Corps, and he saw some pretty sickening stuff.

They had a saying back then for something that even they found particularly appalling: "That's enough to make a vulture gag."

I think that phrase pretty well describes this "finishing move" bullsh*t

Keith

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:13 pm 

Mars wrote:If you roll a 20 on your finishing blow do you get to do an extreme decapitation?

Mars, good question:

What if you succeed on your finishing move? You destroy your enemy in some gruesome, impressive, and/or awe inspiring way.  And you get bonus XP!
    The first step is to decide what your finishing move looks like. Remember: flashy, gruesome, and over the top! Remember that you might have to use it on creatures with various anatomies, so make sure it's versatile, or invent a different move for different creature types.

So I suppose that extreme decapitation would work.  But is a simple cut cut off head a good enough finishing move?  Maybe not.  Here's some examples:

Rondo, the axe wielding dwarf barbarian, kicks his opponent in the privates so hard that important parts of his anatomy explode out his head!

Laeriel, the elf archer, pins her opponents feet to the ground with two well placed arrow shots, and a third mighty shot tears the helpless foe's head from his shoulders!

Mathees, the human sorcerer, causes his foe's head to crack open---his brain then floats out and bludgeons his body to a pulp!

Xanna, the halfling rogue, backflips onto her opponents shoulders, plunges her daggers into his eyes, then uses them as handles to swing back to the ground!

Once again:  NOT MAKING THIS UP.

I think I"m going to be violently ill.... :puker:

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:17 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:Good God!  What a disgusting excuse for a module.   8O

And so damn typical of this trend we see now ... more blood, more guts, more gore ...

You know why I have TiVo?

Two reasons: Football, of course, and to try to insulate my children from the revolting commercials that want to push the envelope on everything, from crap like CSI to movies like Saw, I don't even want to see the ads myself, much less expose my kids to this kind of sickening, sophomoric nonsense.

See for me the worst part isn't the violence per se, its the blatantly obvious and extremely lame attempt at trying to draw the vidoe game crowd into it. The thing is, if a kids are looking for kewl p0vveR2, n33t sk1llz, and l0tz of lewt, they are going to play video games, period. I don't think that these morons realize that though, and rather then try and offer a valid alternative to computer games, they are trying to be computer games.  It makes no sense.

Its the same mentality as if Harley Davidson would decide one day to just drop their regular line of motorcycles and started making them the size and shape of sports cars, but still trying to call them motorcycles. Its just dumb.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:22 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
See for me the worst part isn't the violence per se, its the blatantly obvious and extremely lame attempt at trying to draw the vidoe game crowd into it. The thing is, if a kids are looking for kewl p0vveR2, n33t sk1llz, and l0tz of lewt, they are going to play video games, period. I don't think that these morons realize that though, and rather then try and offer a valid alternative to computer games, they are trying to be computer games.  It makes no sense.

Its the same mentality as if Harley Davidson would decide one day to just drop their regular line of motorcycles and started making them the size and shape of sports cars, but still trying to call them motorcycles. Its just dumb.

Bingo. BC hit the nail on the head (kid's head). This is a fairly pathetic and obvious attempt to attract a certain group of 10-16 year olds who DON'T WANT TO PLAY P&P GAMES ANYWAY!!!  I hope this series doesn't find any sort of audience, and fades to nothingness as quickly as possible.....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:25 pm 

It's all just very sad indeed.
I wonder at  the mentality of it - what is the point? There is so little need for this kind of videogame-esque nonsense, and I really feel that it belittles the good work that rpgs do in encouraging imagination and creativity.

A great shame as this is the sort of thing that might be someones introduction to gaming.

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:45 pm 

gyg wrote:A great shame as this is the sort of thing that might be someones introduction to gaming.

I hadn't even considered that.  That may be the worst aspect of all this.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:12 am 

i really do not have the words to express what i feel about all that.

pretty unreal stuff, but sadly, a true reflection of the society we live in.

i steer way clear of all that wordy stuff.

unbelievable.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:38 am 

What's also sad is that there was nothing keeping DM's from doing this kind of stuff in the past, only now it's codified. Personally, I think golf-clubbing a monster head would be hilarious... in a video game. But in a RPG? I think people expect a little more realism. Of course, killing trolls and the like is hardly realistic...

One more indication of the dumbing down of society.

- Kurt Vonnegut

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:11 am 

If you know any DM's using that system you should mention to them that it might be a good idea to give the monsters "finishing moves" also...  :twisted:

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:14 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:If you know any DM's using that system you should mention to them that it might be a good idea to give the monsters "finishing moves" also...  :twisted:

SPI's old Dragonquest game featured a "grievous injury" table that included, among others "Your head is lopped off and your corpse tumbles to the ground." Other injuries included limbs cut off, arteries severed (involving serious health loss every round until death or stauching of said wound) and others. Great fun, that game.

- Kurt Vonnegut

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:38 am 

Chaosium's Elric!/Stormbringer Fifth Edition rulesbook had a table somewhat like that as well, if I recall correctly.

Don't think you could ever get your head lopped off with a bad roll on it though. 8O

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 39 of 111123 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 109110111