Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 36 of 111123 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 109110111
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:34 pm 

Mars wrote:I have an American football question ...  From what I've looked online though, the salary floor is suppose to be $75 million but by looking at team salary numbers, there are 10 teams that don't meet this minimum.  Is this something that just doesn't get enforced?

Its enforced more stringently during the season. Right now, teams don't have a full roster. If I'm not mistaken, every team must be within the salary limits by opening day. And its never a problem to meet the minimum standard. :)

bombadil wrote:...There was a pile of heads stacked up around me at the end of every day.  Very cold work.  No gloves, blowing snow, bloody knife handle slippery as hell...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:24 pm 

khartsfield wrote:
Its enforced more stringently during the season. Right now, teams don't have a full roster. If I'm not mistaken, every team must be within the salary limits by opening day. And its never a problem to meet the minimum standard. :)

I was actually looking at the numbers for 2006 here:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamSalary ... ryId=67065

Which seems shows a number of teams not making the minimum.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:53 pm 

Mars wrote:
I was actually looking at the numbers for 2006 here:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamSalary ... ryId=67065

Which seems shows a number of teams not making the minimum.

Well thats perfectly easy to explain. You see... oops, someone at the door. I'll get back to ya.  :shaking:

bombadil wrote:...There was a pile of heads stacked up around me at the end of every day.  Very cold work.  No gloves, blowing snow, bloody knife handle slippery as hell...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:25 pm 

khartsfield wrote:
Well thats perfectly easy to explain. You see... oops, someone at the door. I'll get back to ya.  :shaking:

The only explanation I can think of is that teams go into a season with an expected salary that meets the minimum and then players get injured or cut from the team or something like that?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:39 am 

The cap floor is strange (and complicated).  Teams have to meet the cap floor by the end of the NFL season, not the beginning or during.  (I am not sure the exact end date, but it should be well after the Super Bowl).  

Thus, teams may restructure deals with players, make off-season acquisitions, trades, etc.  Even if this number is met by the end of the season, teams will likely cut and change players as the new season approaches.

The site you linked to may also only take into account current salaries.  Sometimes, signing bonuses are given and/or amounts are applied to the cap in particular years.  I am not sure if the link to salaries reflects that.

Finally, even if a team is under the cap by the final day of the season, they simply have to disburse the difference between the cap floor and the amount they are under amongst the current players on their roster (though I am not sure if this ever happened before ? ? ? )

It's numbers juggling and since the NFL doesn't give guaranteed contracts (i.e. a players can be cut at any time and his salary eliminated) it should be an easy matter to meet the cap by the deadline by signing players to your pre-season roster for training camp (I am sure there are any number of other ways to meet the committment).

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:26 am 

Hey, BtB... love the Time Bandits references. Great movie.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:46 pm 

serleran wrote:Hey, BtB... love the Time Bandits references. Great movie.

Thanks!  I change my quotes from time to time . . . lot's of good material to choose form in that movie.

While we are on the subject . . . does anyone have the DVD?  I've read there is a fold-out version of the Map in it . . . is it a decent reproduction, or is it just cheap crap?  :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:47 pm 

I have the DVD, but I'm in Rochester now, and not Buffalo, so I can't check it... sorry about that.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:18 pm 

serleran wrote:I have the DVD, but I'm in Rochester now, and not Buffalo, so I can't check it... sorry about that.

Funny, I'm in Rochester too . . .  Oh, yeah . . . I live there.  :D

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:38 pm 

I looked, and my DVD doesn't have a copy of the map. I must have an earlier (or later) version... but, it also doesn't have any special features either, though, luckily, its widescreen. Anyway, can't help after all, 'cause I suck. Now, my copy of Brazil is awesome... and so is The 16-Ton Megaset of the Flying Circus, but alas, no map there, either ;)

Oooh, wait, hold on. On the DVD itself is a pretty crappy (bad pixelation) picture of the map but the hole for placement cuts some of it out, and the title Time Bandits covers about a quarter. Not a good image of the map at all.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:07 am 

serleran wrote:... and so is The 16-Ton Megaset of the Flying Circus, but alas, no map there, either ;)

Last week the 16 ton set ws the featured item on the A&E website...32.50  plus a whopping $1 shipping 8O ...by time they stopped the promo they were back ordered until mid June and the price was bumped to $49.99 ( still a great deal ) !   now back up to $69.99 :D

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:08 am 

Time Bandits map printed on canvas...however...$105 + shipping  8O

http://www.fire-house.net/Metropolis/html/TB.html

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:10 am 

hey guys - fleeting visit.

am totally under-the-cosh with work and a ton of other things just now, so leisurely things like RPG collecting has totally gone out of the window just now.

anyone who has e-mailed me, sorry, really i am, i am just havent had time to do anything. my apologies.

i have managed in a little spare time, to complete the first part of my marathon des sables experience from end-march 2007.

if youre interested in a read, go have a looksee:

http://alansilcock.blogspot.com/

its my first draft and will amend it when i get to the end and re-read the whole thing.

hope you like.

hopefully things will get back to normal soon and then i can enjoy a few things i want to again.

hope everyone is well.

best

Al

ps. oh and if anyone wants me, its best to just e-mail me directly. if it relates to trades/purchases, i havent got a hope in hell just now (sorry anyone who is waiting on anything pending)

A.

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:36 am 

hi again guys,

i have posted up part two of my journal, if anyone here is interested?

http://alansilcock.blogspot.com/

there will be a part three to finish it all off.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:05 pm 

I finished reading stage 1. Very good read!!! I'm learning what the MDS is as I read.

Cheers
:D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:36 am 

brute wrote:I finished reading stage 1. Very good read!!! I'm learning what the MDS is as I read.

Cheers
:D

hey chummer! cool! well thats the idea really. not just a "i did this, i did that" kinda thing. am trying to show ppl what it really is and tell you how exactly things panned out and how i felt too.

part two is up now and i am in the middle of part three as we speak.

glad you liked it.

all comments are most welcome.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:45 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
hey chummer! cool! well thats the idea really. not just a "i did this, i did that" kinda thing. am trying to show ppl what it really is and tell you how exactly things panned out and how i felt too.

part two is up now and i am in the middle of part three as we speak.

glad you liked it.

all comments are most welcome.

Al

Al I just cracked a cold diet coke and I think I'm taking the rest of the day off.  Just reading that beat the hell out of me.  Seriously I think I'll crawl back into bed. Wow.  I don't think I've exerted myself in my entire life as much as you did in one day, that is incredible.  

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:42 pm 

Back to the topic of television shows for a minute.  It seems that within the span of a couple of weeks, Jericho was cancelled by CBS and then brought back for at least seven episodes due to the overwhelming negative response received from fans of the show.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/c ... icho_N.htm

Thousands of fans not only sent letters and emails to voice their displeasure but also participated in a campaign to ship over 50,000 pounds of peanuts to the executive offices of CBS.  PDT_Armataz_01_23

I for one am glad the show was brought back...even if it may not be for a full season.  Typical stupidity from CBS.  Take a fascinating, entertaining show like Jericho.  Run half the seasons' episodes.  Take a three month hiatus.  Run the second half of the season parallel with the most popular show on television (American Idol), and then cancelling the show due to sagging ratings.

Shows you what a determined group of people can do when they put their heads together.  Too bad RPG nerds couldn't do the same to save Dungeon and Dragon magazines.  :wink:   It also pains me to think that so many people actually watch American Idol.  Given the choice of watching either "Idol" or sitting through re-runs of Dog the Bounty Hunter I think I would rather have someone slap me repeatedly in the face with a raw fish.  :nemo:

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 36 of 111123 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 109110111