Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 36 of 111123 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:11 pm 

WizKids sues Wizards ... (hmmm: suddenly, I have to take a whizz).

http://www.gamingreport.com/article.php?sid=23665

And, unlike our favorite stalker DAYECONâ„¢, the suit actually exists in real time and space.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:25 pm 

Heh, I bet the next move is to patent the collectible miniature market.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:43 pm 

Howdy Brian,

bclarkie wrote:I hope for your sake(and everyone else's for that matter), that Starstrands doesn't end up being a "published" module if you know what I mean, with the guy being from Hong Kong and all. :)

No I don't think this one will see publication. This guy is a hoarder (I mean that in a nice - just like me kind of way :P ). He mentioned multiple copies of rares and an extensive complete shrinkwrap of standards.

Anyhow, I think Degassy31 is one of us but just now having the time and means to enter public collecting. He certainly has enthusiasm.

Heck, when the Burntwire bros started buying I thought I'd never win another auction again, then there was Improvstone, Invincible Overlord, The Fantasy Museum, etc.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:50 pm 

Howdy,

jasonw1239 wrote:In this case the Starstrands went for about $500 less than my personal prediction.
With the one bidder dominating on all items, I think you may be correct that other bidders just gave up.
Could be a useful future tactic for anybody with deep pockets...  :twisted:

My estimate was about $1,200.

So the strategy of bidding large amounts up front for all of the lower value items until you crush the will of the other collector's under your woodgrain-soled boots and can hear the lamentations of their women, saved about $600 on the big ticket item! Brilliant! :lol:

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:04 am 

Just found out I can't reply to posts in Classifieds. Ack! Can't PM by clicking on usernames, either. Double ACK! Oh well, I'll get the hang of this monkey business.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:06 am 

PM button is down at the bottom of the posts.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:31 am 

Heh, Duh. I'm brilliant. Thanks. I see it now.

Oh, does this forum support looking for OoP CCGs? There's one I just cannot locate, at all. It just up and vanished from existence. A sort of dual CCG/RPG, really. If not, no biggie. I'll keep looking.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:45 am 

I'm sure there's someone here who wants to talk about CCG's.

Try creating a forum over on the Non-TSR board.

Curses be upon them  :D

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:28 pm 

FormCritic wrote:I'm sure there's someone here who wants to talk about CCG's.

Try creating a forum over on the Non-TSR board.

Curses be upon them  :D

Hey now you settle down.  Don't do anything crazy like that.  Maybe try the Planescape Forum.  Start with Blood Wars and gently move to the others :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:16 pm 

I have an American football question.  I don't really watch football much at all but recently found out that the NFL actually has a salary cap and a salary floor and thought this was interesting.  The floor is the salary minimum that each team should be spending.  It sounds like a pretty good idea to me to keep most teams competitve.  From what I've looked online though, the salary floor is suppose to be $75 million but by looking at team salary numbers, there are 10 teams that don't meet this minimum.  Is this something that just doesn't get enforced?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:34 pm 

Mars wrote:I have an American football question ...  From what I've looked online though, the salary floor is suppose to be $75 million but by looking at team salary numbers, there are 10 teams that don't meet this minimum.  Is this something that just doesn't get enforced?

Its enforced more stringently during the season. Right now, teams don't have a full roster. If I'm not mistaken, every team must be within the salary limits by opening day. And its never a problem to meet the minimum standard. :)

bombadil wrote:...There was a pile of heads stacked up around me at the end of every day.  Very cold work.  No gloves, blowing snow, bloody knife handle slippery as hell...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:24 pm 

khartsfield wrote:
Its enforced more stringently during the season. Right now, teams don't have a full roster. If I'm not mistaken, every team must be within the salary limits by opening day. And its never a problem to meet the minimum standard. :)

I was actually looking at the numbers for 2006 here:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamSalary ... ryId=67065

Which seems shows a number of teams not making the minimum.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:53 pm 

Mars wrote:
I was actually looking at the numbers for 2006 here:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamSalary ... ryId=67065

Which seems shows a number of teams not making the minimum.

Well thats perfectly easy to explain. You see... oops, someone at the door. I'll get back to ya.  :shaking:

bombadil wrote:...There was a pile of heads stacked up around me at the end of every day.  Very cold work.  No gloves, blowing snow, bloody knife handle slippery as hell...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:25 pm 

khartsfield wrote:
Well thats perfectly easy to explain. You see... oops, someone at the door. I'll get back to ya.  :shaking:

The only explanation I can think of is that teams go into a season with an expected salary that meets the minimum and then players get injured or cut from the team or something like that?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:39 am 

The cap floor is strange (and complicated).  Teams have to meet the cap floor by the end of the NFL season, not the beginning or during.  (I am not sure the exact end date, but it should be well after the Super Bowl).  

Thus, teams may restructure deals with players, make off-season acquisitions, trades, etc.  Even if this number is met by the end of the season, teams will likely cut and change players as the new season approaches.

The site you linked to may also only take into account current salaries.  Sometimes, signing bonuses are given and/or amounts are applied to the cap in particular years.  I am not sure if the link to salaries reflects that.

Finally, even if a team is under the cap by the final day of the season, they simply have to disburse the difference between the cap floor and the amount they are under amongst the current players on their roster (though I am not sure if this ever happened before ? ? ? )

It's numbers juggling and since the NFL doesn't give guaranteed contracts (i.e. a players can be cut at any time and his salary eliminated) it should be an easy matter to meet the cap by the deadline by signing players to your pre-season roster for training camp (I am sure there are any number of other ways to meet the committment).

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:26 am 

Hey, BtB... love the Time Bandits references. Great movie.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:46 pm 

serleran wrote:Hey, BtB... love the Time Bandits references. Great movie.

Thanks!  I change my quotes from time to time . . . lot's of good material to choose form in that movie.

While we are on the subject . . . does anyone have the DVD?  I've read there is a fold-out version of the Map in it . . . is it a decent reproduction, or is it just cheap crap?  :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:47 pm 

I have the DVD, but I'm in Rochester now, and not Buffalo, so I can't check it... sorry about that.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 36 of 111123 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 109110111