Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 35 of 111123 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:35 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:
Or, why no one seems to have bothered to check the Warren report's findings that a military-trained sharpshooter can indeed fire 3 accurate shots with a Mannlicher-Carcano in the required time span.

Not according to Oliver Stone....who had his "experts" (actually, actors playing experts) totally unable to do it in his movie JFK.   :roll:

Man, there's three plus hours of my life I'm NEVER going to get back...that and watching another Stone clunker, Any Given Sunday (worst football movie ever made..)

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:43 pm 

There are two reasons why there will never be a consensus on the Kennedy assassination:

1)  Money
2)  Politics

The story re-emerges every four years, like clockwork.  This current round of "new evidence"  will almost surely spawn a new documentary about Kennedy.  It will appear a few months before the 2008 Presidential Election.  It happens every Presidential election year.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:06 am 

No friendly local games store?  
No bargains in the second hand bookshop to be found (was that a numbered Lost Tamoachan marked down to £3.75)?
No-one in your neighbourhood is willing to play your new 'old-school' campaign?  
In short, looking to move?

Well, according to the Economist Intelligence Unit*, the nicest city to live in is, officially...  Vancouver.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4306936.stm

*I realise that this is quite possibly a contradiction in terms.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:16 pm 

red_bus wrote:Well, according to the Economist Intelligence Unit*, the nicest city to live in is, officially...  Vancouver.

Vancouver does have a good selection of game stores, of which a couple do carry used items.  There is also a good selection of used goods stores like Value Village, Goodwill etc.  There is an organzied Vancouver Gamers Guild that has their own forum too.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:39 pm 

Vancouver is a wonderful place to visit...particularly if you like open prostitution, strip joints and aggressive street beggers.

I did score some nice Slaad miniatures in the Gastown Games Workshop store back about 15 years ago.  Vancouver has some nice attractions such as Stanley Park, the zoo/aquarium and the planetarium...also some pretty cool architecture.

And, fans of Highlander can find and visit many scenes from the TV series.

Mark  8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:26 pm 

FormCritic wrote:And, fans of Highlander can find and visit many scenes from the TV series.

I imagine that is probably true for a lot of TV shows like X-files, Smallville, BSG, Stargate, Darl Angel, Millenium, The Outer Limits, etc

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:15 pm 

Yes...it is especially true of Highlander because the directors made such extensive use of monuments, parks and interesting settings in the downtown area.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:59 pm 

red_bus wrote:No friendly local games store?  
No bargains in the second hand bookshop to be found (was that a numbered Lost Tamoachan marked down to £3.75)?
No-one in your neighbourhood is willing to play your new 'old-school' campaign?  
In short, looking to move?

Well, according to the Economist Intelligence Unit*, the nicest city to live in is, officially...  Vancouver.

*I realise that this is quite possibly a contradiction in terms.

Rains alot there, bad traffic.  I used to go to Vancouver every year with my wife, not a bad city :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:12 pm 

Badmike wrote:....any suggestions what other shows/dvds to watch this summer?

Mike B.

Would have responded to this sooner, but have been out of town for the long holiday weekend.  "Rescue Me" returns to the air on June 13th on FX.  Anybody besides me love that show?

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:11 pm 

Looking at a recent posting in classifieds by a member (who only has posted twice)
viewtopic.php?p=86002&highlight=#86002

I would say that he is serious after looking at the closings on the most recent Collectors Trove auctions for the Eric N. Shook collection.

The above forum member degassy31 won every single item that was listed in the Shook auction for a total of $2826.52.  8O

Six of the twenty-two wins were bids of $51.00 (27% of the items)

(yes, I know I have too much time on my hands)  :oops:    :lol:

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:39 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:Looking at a recent posting in classifieds by a member (who only has posted twice)
viewtopic.php?p=86002&highlight=#86002

I would say that he is serious after looking at the closings on the most recent Collectors Trove auctions for the Eric N. Shook collection.

The above forum member degassy31 won every single item that was listed in the Shook auction for a total of $2826.52.  8O

Six of the twenty-two wins were bids of $51.00 (27% of the items)

(yes, I know I have too much time on my hands)  :oops:    :lol:

Well apparently price is no object and the condition of the item isn't much of a concern either.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

If I were to pay over $100 plus $20 shipping from Australia for an Immortals Rules box set....by God it better be in mint condition with some freebies thrown in.   :scratch:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:10 pm 

Hello. New here, so don't bombast me when I don't know things I "should." I'll be asking lots of "how do you tell its a real first print?" questions as they come to me but its good to see some somewhat familiar names.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:13 pm 

serleran wrote:Hello. New here, so don't bombast me when I don't know things I "should." I'll be asking lots of "how do you tell its a real first print?" questions as they come to me but its good to see some somewhat familiar names.

Ooo, FRESH MEAT!!!  :twisted:   Everybody get the N00b!!!

{j/k} of course

Welcome aboard Serleran, I am actually surprised you already didn't have a ID here yet. :)  It's good to have you around.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:19 pm 

Oopsy. Double post.

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Last edited by The Collector's Trove on Thu May 31, 2007 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:20 pm 

Howdy All,

jasonw1239 wrote:The above forum member degassy31 won every single item that was listed in the Shook auction for a total of $2826.52.  8O

I have to say that I was pretty stunned at the outcome of the auction. I am now wondering if bidders just plain gave up and didn't bother to post a bid - especially for the Starstrands manuscript. There was virtually zero activity in the last few seconds and no snipes that I could see. It certainly was a weird dynamic.

Degassy31 is definitely a collector to contend with and is a genuine gamer with a real love for D&D and AD&D items.

If anything, it sure will make shipping and packing easy! :lol:

Futures bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:28 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy All,

I have to say that I was pretty stunned at the outcome of the auction. I am now wondering if bidders just plain gave up and didn't bother to post a bid - especially for the Starstrands manuscript. There was virtually zero activity in the last few seconds and no snipes that I could see. It certainly was a weird dynamic.

Degassy31 is definitely a collector to contend with and is a genuine gamer with a real love for D&D and AD&D items.

If anything, it sure will make shipping and packing easy! :lol:

Futures bright,

Paul

Paul,
 I hope for your sake(and everyone else's for that matter), that Starstrands doesn't end up being a "published" module if you know what I mean, with the guy being from Hong Kong and all. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Thu May 31, 2007 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:32 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Paul,
 I hope for your sake(and everyone else's for that matter), that Starstrand's doesn't end up being a "published" module if ypou know what I mean with the guy being from Hong Kong and all. :)

My thoughts too Brain...I was really suspect of someone from  one of the piracy capitals of the world that was looking for "rare" items.

He's probably just a normal collector I suppose but it was my first thought...   :pirat:

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:37 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:specially for the Starstrands manuscript. There was virtually zero activity in the last few seconds and no snipes that I could see. It certainly was a weird dynamic.

Paul,
Auctions for the rares and uniques are well out of my price range but they are always fun to watch.
Usually at the start of the auction I will guess a price for a major item and am usually within 10-20% of the final price.
In this case the Starstrands went for about $500 less than my personal prediction.
With the one bidder dominating on all items, I think you may be correct that other bidders just gave up.
Could be a useful future tactic for anybody with deep pockets...  :twisted:

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 35 of 111123 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 109110111