Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 33 of 111123 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:28 pm 

Hurricane Katrina was the first time, after 17 years of doing what I do for a living, that it occurred to me this might finally be an issue that rises closer to the top of people's personal lists of concerns.  But, human memory, especially in the US, is short, and it's already beginning to fade.  

Of course, it's happened before, and was just as catastrophic in the deep past as it will be this time around.  The difference, of course, is that this time we have a certain culpability in the situation.  It'll make for some huge changes once it ramps up, of that I'm sure.  Just listen to the voices from our past shouting out at us from all of the flood "myths" from around the world, especially the ones from mountainous, previously glaciated regions.  Pretty damned spooky, compelling, and moving, if you ask me.

An example:  
Oden, Vili, and Ve fought and slew the great ice giant Ymir, and icy water from his wounds drowned most of the Rime Giants. The giant Bergelmir escaped, with his wife and children, on a boat made from a hollowed tree trunk. From them rose the race of frost ogres. Ymir's body became the world we live on. His blood became the oceans.

Or:  
Three times (every 1200 years), the gods were distressed by the disturbance from human overpopulation. The gods dealt with the problem first by plague, then by famine. Both times, the god Enki advised men to bribe the god causing the problem. The third time, Enlil advised the gods to destroy all humans with a flood, but Enki had Atrahasis build an ark and so escape. Also on the boat were cattle, wild animals and birds, and Atrahasis' family. When the storm came, Atrahasis sealed the door with bitumen and cut the boat's rope. The storm god Adad raged, turning the day black. After the seven-day flood, the gods regretted their action. Atrahasis made an offering to them, at which the gods gathered like flies, and Enki established barren women and stillbirth to avoid the problem in the future.

Or:
Tibet was almost totally inundated, until the god Gya took compassion on the survivors, drew off the waters through Bengal, and sent teachers to civilize the people, who until then had been little better than monkeys. Those people repopulated the land.

I think we're gonna be in for a rough ride...

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:10 pm 

*Post Deleted*

I apologize for using the term "bedwetting."

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:15 pm 

You guys should just sign up for Deimos's new chat room and just have at it!  :P
(and may the fastest typist win!)
Just give us some advance warning so I can get some popcorn ready  :twisted:

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:23 pm 

bombadil wrote:Just listen to the voices from our past shouting out at us from all of the flood "myths" from around the world, especially the ones from mountainous, previously glaciated regions.  Pretty damned spooky, compelling, and moving, if you ask me.

There was a very short piece on CNN last night from a Swiss base in western Greenland talking about glacial melting. There was also a very short live connection with a reporter on the east side of Greenland where enough of one glacier has melted that what they had previously thought had been a peninusula has now revealed itself as an island..  8O

Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:26 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:You guys should just sign up for Deimos's new chat room and just have at it!  :P

And here I was thinking the non US citizens were going to be the ones not interested in discussing our politics.  :wink:  

Seriously, I'd much rather have a politically debate free forum here if at all possible.  Everyone has an opinion on the subect(s), usually a very strong opinion, and strong opinions on opposite sides of the spectrum always mix like gasoline and lit matches. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:31 pm 

bclarkie,
Just my attempt to try to lighten things up and to point out the absurdity of further pursuit of a stalemate situation...  :)

Edit: Besides, as your next door neighbor Canada has a very serious interest in what the US does. Almost everything you do has an impact on us in some form or another.

Secrets of Tibet

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:42 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Get the miniseries/first season DVD.  You'll be hooked.

Part of the fun of the new series is that it stands a lot of cliches from the first series on it's head....for example, Starbuck being a woman, the Cylons looking like humans, Baltar still being a scumbag, but an entertaining scumbag, etc.

Mike B.

Mike

Thanks for responding.   I've been so consistently disappointed by the sci-fi channel's offerings that I just didn't think it would even be worth it (that and my aforementioned hatred for the original).  But if the similarities are only superficial, then I may have found something to indulge in over the summer.

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:25 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Remember, there was a lot of speculation that there was no way a new BSG could ever succeed ... and it's the miniseries that puts those doubts to rest.

Was the miniseries a pilot film, in essence?

Thanks for the info.

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:53 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:Was the miniseries a pilot film, in essence?

In essence, yes the miniseries was a long pilot movie.  It parallels the original series somewhat and explains what happened to put them where they are.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:17 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:
Mike

Thanks for responding.   I've been so consistently disappointed by the sci-fi channel's offerings that I just didn't think it would even be worth it (that and my aforementioned hatred for the original).  But if the similarities are only superficial, then I may have found something to indulge in over the summer.

Keith

I was expecting very little, and wowed beyond my highest expectations. For the first season, at least, the plot and writing are above average. In general the actors are top notch (particularly Edward James Olmos as Adama and Mary McDonnell as the President), the special effects are spectacular, and the plot twists are somewhat unexpected.  Still looking for a chance to watch Season Two one of these days and sort of catch up (in the middle of Babylon 5 Season Two right now so I don't know when that will be....)

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:43 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:There was a very short piece on CNN last night from a Swiss base in western Greenland talking about glacial melting.

Konrad Steffen, by any chance?   :D

Great guy.

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:01 pm 

bombadil wrote:

Great guy.

They did not interview anybody at the Swiss camp. I think that they are doing some coverage of the research going on which they may present in a special later on. The reporter on the west side was Jeff Corwin from the Discovery channel and on the eastern side was Anderson Cooper working on a story about Warming Island. If Konrad Steffen is interviewed it will probably be for Discovery.

Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:19 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:You guys should just sign up for Deimos's new chat room and just have at it!  :P

I'm sure you're jesting, but for the record, this is a very bad idea. ;)

I'm trying to create a friendly, welcoming atmosphere for everyone in the chat.  Arguments over "live" media would spiral out of control much more quickly than on a forum, and so its members must be kept to a higher standard of mature discourse to ensure that doesn't happen.  Likewise, any disruptions (flame wars) must be dealt with harshly.  I strongly suggest turning the other cheek if someone offends you.

YIM  

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:25 am 

bombadil wrote:

Great guy.

CNN had more coverage last night (Friday) and yes indeed, it was from Konrad Steffen's camp.
Anderson Cooper spoke to somebody bundled up in a parka whom they did not identify (even in the online transcript).
From the picture on the University of Colorado website it may have been Steffen.
This coverage seems to be more for promoting Anderson Coopers new book.
Is that one of the camps you will be spending time at this summer?
That whole landscape they showed gave me a Lovecraft "Mountains of Madness" impression...
Glaciers sweeping through deep valleys bordered by stark promontories of sheer black rock walls... :)

Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:05 pm 

Remember this, when you hear about global "Warming" :

[1]  Just remember that many of the same people who are now yelling about global "warming" . . . were the same people and organizations who were yelling about global "COOLING" in the 1970's, an "inconvenient fact" that many of those on the "pro-'warming' " side want all of us to ignore or forget.

And . . .

[2]  If it wasn't for global warming over the last several thousand years . . . many of us in the northern half or so of North America and Europe would be under several thousand feet or so of ICE.  And, there weren't any cars, smokestacks, etc. for almost all of that time.

All I ask is . . . . . . think about it.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:16 pm 

Start Terraforming Mars NOW! (and no not our Canadian fellow here on the boards, the planet... :) )

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:27 pm 

sleepyCO wrote:All I ask is . . . . . . think about it.

I have thought about it, and it's irrelevant.

The perfect analogy is that many species went extinct long before Homo sapiens existed, but that in itself does not refute the role of humans in ongoing extinctions.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:51 pm 

sleepyCO wrote:Remember this, when you hear about global "Warming" :

[1]  Just remember that many of the same people who are now yelling about global "warming" . . . were the same people and organizations who were yelling about global "COOLING" in the 1970's, an "inconvenient fact" that many of those on the "pro-'warming' " side want all of us to ignore or forget.

And . . .

[2]  If it wasn't for global warming over the last several thousand years . . . many of us in the northern half or so of North America and Europe would be under several thousand feet or so of ICE.  And, there weren't any cars, smokestacks, etc. for almost all of that time.

All I ask is . . . . . . think about it.

Wall Street Journal did have a funny article about Greenland and global warming a few weeks ago...about how some are HAPPY about the warming....as they can finally see the ground after all these years!  Some have actually started planting crops to grow in the very short summer. One man's global warming is another's sweet potatos....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 33 of 111123 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 109110111