Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 30 of 111123 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:40 am 

FormCritic wrote:  

:?:

Sorry--for those who aren't soccer fans, the FA ([English] Football Association) Cup Final is probably the biggest single domestic match of the year in England {as opposed to the Champions League (usually the league champions of Europe) or the World Cup}.  It is the oldest such  soccer competition in the world.  Clubs from tiny local villages and school teams all the way up to the top teams like Manchester United and Chelsea in the Premiership play in the Cup tournament.  (American football's equivalent might be teams from high schools, through all colleges, to the NFL playing a one-off tournament for the Vince Lombardi Trophy, if such a competition existed here.)

It is not too far off to compare the importance of the FA Cup Final (to English soccer) to the NFL Super Bowl (to U.S. football).

The price comparison in the article was that the seat prices for the Dolphins/Giants game were nearly the same as that for the FA Cup Final, the first at the new Wembley stadium.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:13 am 

sleepyCO wrote:
Sorry--for those who aren't soccer fans, the FA ([English] Football Association) Cup Final is probably the biggest single domestic match of the year in England {as opposed to the Champions League (usually the league champions of Europe) or the World Cup}.  It is the oldest such  soccer competition in the world.  Clubs from tiny local villages and school teams all the way up to the top teams like Manchester United and Chelsea in the Premiership play in the Cup tournament.  (American football's equivalent might be teams from high schools, through all colleges, to the NFL playing a one-off tournament for the Vince Lombardi Trophy, if such a competition existed here.)

It is not too far off to compare the importance of the FA Cup Final (to English soccer) to the NFL Super Bowl (to U.S. football).    The price comparison in the article was that the seat prices for the Dolphins/Giants game were nearly the same as that for the FA Cup Final, the first at the new Wembley stadium.

(emphasis mine)

Great post - just about on the button really. Unless you follow both sports then the importance of the other just cannot be understood - and lets face it any die-hard sports fan just CANNOT (not shouting, just emphasising!) understand the passion felt by others - just as you cannot understand how everyone else doesn't share your passion. (How many of us have to hold our tongues when, whilst in the middle of a deep, sport induced sulk, our partner says 'it's only a game!!)

FWIW I follow both sports, and I genuinely think the NFL game is worth the money, for the spectacle alone, remember we have no choice but to watch this nonsense on TV! (And as a 20 year Dolphins fan I have to agree with Badmike :D )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:11 am 

gyg wrote:(And as a 20 year Dolphins fan I have to agree with Badmike :D )

pfft

gimme the jets anyday :)

you get pretty decent coverage on sky now though i reckon. though i would like to watch a live game and be there sometime. i will get round to it.

i dont watch as much footie as i used to. just dont have the time, though i will make sure i set time aside for next wednesday night, thats for sure!!!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:29 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
gimme the jets anyday :)

Al

you can take your jets and stick them up you ...........................

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:02 pm 

Been a Pats fan for 27 years. Mighty pleased lately.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:04 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Been a Pats fan for 27 years. Mighty pleased lately.

nuff said :cry:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:05 pm 

You guys are damned lucky to pick up Randy Moss.  Nice one there.  Terrible for the rest of us who absolutely hate the Pats(ies).

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:24 pm 

@bombadil. looking back smart to not be in limelight like peary?? :) :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:01 pm 

Heh, very good there, my friend.   :D

It is the International Polar Year, after all, and Peary was an ass.

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:36 pm 

- Heh, very good there, my friend.   :D

;)

- It is the International Polar Year, after all, and Peary was an ass.

:lol: :lol: but true!

+ http://www.ipy.org/ plug. neat.
no sign of scope creep yet to change that to search for good holiday home locations in 200 years. :?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:59 pm 

I mentioned this over on the Interesting Items on Ebay thread before I noticed the avatar here.'

What is that guy's name, Bombadil?  I'm thinking something like, "Henson."  Is that right?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:58 pm 

Yep.  Matthew Henson.  The first person to reach the North Pole.  

That is, of course, unless the Inuit made it up there before there was even talk of such things.   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:06 am 

Come now, we spent a fourth-round draft pick for him!
I was rolling on the floor when I heard we got him for a 4th. Utterly hilarious. It's quite possible we'll go undefeated this year. The team is sick.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:22 am 

- yep.  Matthew Henson.  The first person to reach the North Pole.  

and/or first poster boy for PeTA. :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:15 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Come now, we spent a fourth-round draft pick for him!
I was rolling on the floor when I heard we got him for a 4th. Utterly hilarious. It's quite possible we'll go undefeated this year. The team is sick.

I'll give you a dollar if Moss catches anything but a cold in New England.

It is possible that Moss might prosper when playing for an established team that knows how to both protect the quarterback and throw the ball.

However, history tends to indicate that he will be injured and malcontent by the halfway mark.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:02 am 

I'll take the bet, but slightly altered. Moss will either do well or he will be fired/benched immediately, thereby ending his career. We've done it before to trouble players.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:51 am 

This won't really add much, but it's sort of funny/ironic AND funny/ha-ha.

I saw Randy Moss' final play as a college player. He fumbled.

As an English major, I couldn't help but see all kinds of symbolism ... (and the whiteness of the whale, too. But I always see the whiteness of the whale, even when I'm looking through the phone book. Damn you, hippie professors!)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:01 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
I'll give you a dollar if Moss catches anything but a cold in New England.

It is possible that Moss might prosper when playing for an established team that knows how to both protect the quarterback and throw the ball.

However, history tends to indicate that he will be injured and malcontent by the halfway mark.

Moss is absolutely the wrong fit for the Pats team.

Brady/Pats offense has never concentrated on one WR, even in the glory days with Troy Brown and whoever else was playing WR.  The Pats have made a living off of distributing the ball all over the offense every week (In my fantasy league, picks of Pats WRs in the draft are greeted by hoots of derision...too many owners have been burned year after year by getting the so-called Number One WR in New England).  

Moss has only thrived in one circumstance...he was basically THE ONLY WR in Minnesota when Culpepper was at his prime.  Moss is only happy when he's catching 10+ balls a week....and is the absolute focal point of the offense.  That won't be the case in NE....Hoodie isn't going to structure his offense around one player, unless that player's name is Tom Brady.

The only way to keep Moss happy is to feed him the ball, play after play.  Can't wait for the first week when Moss only gets a couple balls thrown his way......you know it will happen.  Then if the Pats lose a couple in a row...AND Moss doesn't catch enough passes....wooo baby.  This will be one exciting train wreck to watch when Randy and Hoodie go at it.....!

I'm with Mark....this is a bad fit.  The Pats would have been better off with a  team oriented WR like Keyshawn Johnson (who we actually miss here in Dallas....despite the bad press, he got the job done week after week and became a real leader on the offense during his couple of seasons)

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 30 of 111123 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 109110111