Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 26 of 111123 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:56 am 

Yeah, I'm kinda foolish that way myself, which is why I posted about it...  I'm very tempted to go out and buy the regular edition today so I can start reading it.  I don't read my deluxe editions or 1sts anyway, so I might as well..<sigh> so much for the budget this month.  Have you checked out the map yet?  Sounds like it's a bit more detailed than the one in the Silmarillion.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:02 am 

Radovarl wrote:Yeah, I'm kinda foolish that way myself, which is why I posted about it...  I'm very tempted to go out and buy the regular edition today so I can start reading it.  I don't read my deluxe editions or 1sts anyway, so I might as well..<sigh> so much for the budget this month.  Have you checked out the map yet?  Sounds like it's a bit more detailed than the one in the Silmarillion.

It's a nice map but it centers on the southwestern portion of Beleriand instead of encompassing the whole like The Silmarillion did.  And it does seem to have more detail than the previous maps I have seen for the region.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:00 pm 

Great news for anyone attending the Live Earth concert at Webley Stadium:

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx ... 3&GT1=7702

I wonder if Stonehenge will be one of the songs in their set?

:lol:

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:24 pm 

Possibly worthy of its own thread, but it'll work here, too ...

New eBay feedback system — featuring "Detailed Seller Ratings" — goes worldwide April 30, apparently.

Official announcement

One interesting change: check out the new "leave some feedback" page.  8O  :!: Good lord ...

Yikes!

Anyway, it should be interesting to see how this plays out in the U.S., which (just stating a simple fact here; no offense intended) is still home to the vast majority of eBay users worldwide.

My initial take: it won't be that big of a deal. But any system that hurts Cougie — and this one should — is okay by me.  :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:04 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
It's a nice map but it centers on the southwestern portion of Beleriand instead of encompassing the whole like The Silmarillion did.  And it does seem to have more detail than the previous maps I have seen for the region.

I broke down and bought it today at Atlantic Books (possibly the counterpart to the HPB some of you seem to frequent, don't have those here on the east coast).  I'm already on page 43; starts out a little slow, but seems promising.  Yeah, the map is more detailed but I haven't really scrutinized it yet.

Since I'm on the new fiction kick, and on the off chance someone else here cares about things Lovecraftian, I received an e-mail from John Pelan at Darkside Press today, who says that Cthulhuian Singularity is back on track and moving forward (original release estimate was December '06)--pricetag is steep at $75 for the signed LE and $150 for the deluxe, but should be worth it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:11 pm 

I am not in a hurry to read The Children of Hurin.

Aside from the fact that it is a depressing story, there is the fact that I've read it about seven times already.

I would be interested in hearing from new reviewers how much the current narrative differs and/or improves on the older narratives.

Of course...I'll end up buying it... :x

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:45 pm 

I'll more than likely finish it within a couple of days (or at least by Monday), so I'll post my first impressions.  I'll probably re-read the other versions of the Narn i Chin Hurin in Unfinished Tales and The Silmarillion right afterwards, to refresh my memory.  

From the first chapter of Hurin, which I'm not quite through, about the first three or four pages were VERY familiar, and if I remember correctly are very similar to the version in the S.  However, from there on I'm definitely getting the sense I'm reading something I never have before.  The style is much more narrative (if that's the right word) than the S, less "biblical".  It's been longer since I last read the Tales, but as I recall most of that is fairly dry too.  The new one is definitely a novel in a way that the other two are not.  I can't recommend it yet based on 43 pages, but nothing so far has put me off in the slightest.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:45 pm 

There's still time to donate your old gaming stuff to troops in Iraq for the first D&D convention/game day ever held in a war zone, Ziggurat Con.

http://www.gamegrene.com/node/790

I just donated some old D&D hard covers in not so great shape and some old dice as well that I've been hanging-on to for too many years...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:31 am 

Sorry, I didn't see any reference about where to donate to.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:33 am 

brute wrote:Sorry, I didn't see any reference about where to donate to.

It's down near the end of the article, just before the Comments section; it's SPC Amberson's APO address.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:43 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:Possibly worthy of its own thread, but it'll work here, too ...

New eBay feedback system — featuring "Detailed Seller Ratings" — goes worldwide April 30, apparently.

Official announcement

One interesting change: check out the new "leave some feedback" page.  8O  :!: Good lord ...

Yikes!

Anyway, it should be interesting to see how this plays out in the U.S., which (just stating a simple fact here; no offense intended) is still home to the vast majority of eBay users worldwide.

My initial take: it won't be that big of a deal. But any system that hurts Cougie — and this one should — is okay by me.  :)

(Points to the new topic created a few days ago....)

viewtopic.php?t=5556

Yep....cougie is going to go ape shit over this...

I wonder if you can go back over feedback that you left for him in the past 90 days and give an 'accurate' accounting

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:16 am 

Regarding the Iraq Con,

I emailed SPC Amberson and he confirmed the address:

SPC David Amberson
A Co 86th Sig Bn
APO, AE 09331

I used a couple "flat rate" boxes today which each held 5 or 6 books (in bubble wrap).  Each flate rate USPS box costs $8.10.

You have to fill out a customs form at the post office, before you go to the counter.  I just called them "books" and gave the total box a value of $10.

Hope they bring many rewarding adventures and experience!

Erik.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:54 pm 

Does anybody have any tips on taking photos of miniatures? or can point me in the direction of info? Unfortunately I only have a cheap Kodak digital 3.1 MP camera (Easyshare C300) so it does not have all the "Macro" features of the more expensive SLR cameras.

While going through more boxes today I started finding some of my old miniatures including a small bunch of 1979 Ral Partha's.

I played around with my camera to see if I could get a half decent picture but the minis kept coming out as little lead colored blurs...  :(

My next step is to try the tripod and see if I can use the zoom feature to get a clearer image... Once more into the breach!! (nothing funny intended BTB  :P )

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:22 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:Does anybody have any tips on taking photos of miniatures? or can point me in the direction of info?

Well, according to our good friend Cougar, you just throw the damn thing on a scanner and press the big green button. :)

Oh, wait, you meant serious advice, right?

Okay, my two cents: if your camera does not have some sort of specific ultra-zoom feature, it's not going to turn out well ... you're just going to get a vaguely-miniature-like blob.

Even if you do have an ultra-zoom feature, you still need lots of good natural light and a clutter-free background. Mini's are a pain ... :)

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:09 pm 

Thanks Xaxaxe,
I experimented some more this afternoon trying various combinations of zooms, lighting and shooting ranges but, alas, 'twas all in vein...

As far as the Cougiescanner techniques, I think I'll choose to pass them by...  :P

Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:01 pm 

I use a Nikon Coolpix 4300 on it's "Macro" setting and have been able to get some amazing pictures of my painted miniatures using only a standard light and white posterboard behind it.

On eBay right now, you can buy a NEW Coolpix 4300 with a special macro lens and adapter for $89.95 buy-it-now...

** expired/removed eBay auction **

You can then zoom in on the pics and manipulate them in Photoshop (or any other cheap image editor).

If you want more info, drop me a PM and I'll go into details.

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:50 am 

Jason
There's a wealth of advice among the articles posted on CoolMiniOrNot.

I like this article in particular:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/101

You'll probably have to shell out for more equipment, though. :wink:

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:00 am 

Thanks guys! Looks like good advice and both links confirm what I had been thinking while trying to squeeze a little more performance from my low end Kodak digital camera.

It looks like I will eventually have to spend some money on an SLR digital camera. Until then I'll just put the mini's back in the box where I found them and list them on eBay down the road.

I have all that macro camera stuff in 35 mm for an older camera with handheld light meter etc. but I do like the instant results that a digital camera provides.

One more question...
Does any of you that sell minis have an opinion on whether it is more profitable to see them as singles or as small groups? (four at a time perhaps?) All I have are older minis mainly Ral Partha from the late 70's and some from the early 80's.

Secrets of Tibet

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 26 of 111123 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 109110111