Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 25 of 111123 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:38 pm 

Hey Al - you should be able to get in to the US under the Visa Waiver programme if you have a fairly recent passport (i.e machine readable).  Failing that you will need a tourist visa.  But I think almost all UK passports issued in the last seven or eight years are OK.

See:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/vwp.html
(and a few further links)

BUT it is always at the discretion of the immigration officer.  The frontline immigration and border staff have authority if they are suspicious to turn people away and decide to demand visas or other documents or further proof of travel intentions etc... (as they do in most countries).  For example, if I was going to travel to the US, I would use my Irish passport and not my UK passport, as the UK one has entry stamps and visas from all over Eastern Europe and parts of the Middle East, whereas the Irish one is pretty clean.  Smiles and good manners are as (more) useful as visas when crossing borders I have found.  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:31 am 

It also helps if you do not have a moustache or joined eyebrows! :lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:48 am 

ATOM wrote:It also helps if you do not have a moustache or joined eyebrows! :lol:

Or a pubic hair beard. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:16 am 

What! You mean they have not started to "harvest the pubis" in the U.S and A yet? :lol:

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:25 pm 

Just thought I'd use this space instead of starting a thread..anyway Al (killjoy) you have not been reading your PMs I take it? or is your inbox to full?

Any way back to the regular scheduled off topic post :)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:45 am 

I bypass all these problems with my dual nationality  :D

(Funny - there's a lad at work who has never been to America who wants to move there permanently because he thinks he "belongs there", I fixed him with a look & said until he goes there, sees some of the US, he hasn't got a clue what he's waffling on about).

- On a similar note though, does anyone know about bank accounts over there? I've just inherited $5000 (RIP grandmother, last laugh died on April Fools day...). I know I can set up a bank account (I have a passport, American contact address & SS number) - but apparently I can't set one up that will receive any interest.  :-/

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:31 pm 

Winterwords wrote:- On a similar note though, does anyone know about bank accounts over there?  :-/

Sorry about your grandmother.  I don't know if it will work for you, but I recently opened an account at http://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/3/personal
via the web.  I transfer Paypal money into it, and the savings earns about 5%, which is pretty sweet.  They sent me an ATM card, too.  Hope this helps.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:00 pm 

Plaag wrote:Just thought I'd use this space instead of starting a thread..anyway Al (killjoy) you have not been reading your PMs I take it? or is your inbox to full?

Any way back to the regular scheduled off topic post :)

ShaneG.

hey dude

i have read them, just havent had the time to sit still and formulate proper replies yet :)

i will get to them i promise :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:29 am 

Has anyone purchased and/or read Children of Hurin yet?  The standard edition is in the bookstores now, but I'm "patiently" waiting for the deluxe edition which is evidently to be released next month in the US (already out in UK/CA).  Thoughts, reviews?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:47 am 

Radovarl wrote:Has anyone purchased and/or read Children of Hurin yet?  The standard edition is in the bookstores now, but I'm "patiently" waiting for the deluxe edition which is evidently to be released next month in the US (already out in UK/CA).  Thoughts, reviews?

I purchased it the day it came out.  There are some books that I just don't wait for and end up paying full price when I could wait a few months and pick them up at Half-Price Books or Amazon for half of the original price.  I am kind of stupid when it comes to things like that.  :wink:

I haven't started reading it yet though.  I am currently reading the new Raymond E. Feist book.  But I did look through the first few chapters just to get an idea of what the format was like.  It is an actual novel....not a reference book with short stories and poems thrown in like The Silmarillion or the other History of Middle-Earth books.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:56 am 

Yeah, I'm kinda foolish that way myself, which is why I posted about it...  I'm very tempted to go out and buy the regular edition today so I can start reading it.  I don't read my deluxe editions or 1sts anyway, so I might as well..<sigh> so much for the budget this month.  Have you checked out the map yet?  Sounds like it's a bit more detailed than the one in the Silmarillion.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:02 am 

Radovarl wrote:Yeah, I'm kinda foolish that way myself, which is why I posted about it...  I'm very tempted to go out and buy the regular edition today so I can start reading it.  I don't read my deluxe editions or 1sts anyway, so I might as well..<sigh> so much for the budget this month.  Have you checked out the map yet?  Sounds like it's a bit more detailed than the one in the Silmarillion.

It's a nice map but it centers on the southwestern portion of Beleriand instead of encompassing the whole like The Silmarillion did.  And it does seem to have more detail than the previous maps I have seen for the region.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:00 pm 

Great news for anyone attending the Live Earth concert at Webley Stadium:

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx ... 3&GT1=7702

I wonder if Stonehenge will be one of the songs in their set?

:lol:

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:24 pm 

Possibly worthy of its own thread, but it'll work here, too ...

New eBay feedback system — featuring "Detailed Seller Ratings" — goes worldwide April 30, apparently.

Official announcement

One interesting change: check out the new "leave some feedback" page.  8O  :!: Good lord ...

Yikes!

Anyway, it should be interesting to see how this plays out in the U.S., which (just stating a simple fact here; no offense intended) is still home to the vast majority of eBay users worldwide.

My initial take: it won't be that big of a deal. But any system that hurts Cougie — and this one should — is okay by me.  :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:04 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
It's a nice map but it centers on the southwestern portion of Beleriand instead of encompassing the whole like The Silmarillion did.  And it does seem to have more detail than the previous maps I have seen for the region.

I broke down and bought it today at Atlantic Books (possibly the counterpart to the HPB some of you seem to frequent, don't have those here on the east coast).  I'm already on page 43; starts out a little slow, but seems promising.  Yeah, the map is more detailed but I haven't really scrutinized it yet.

Since I'm on the new fiction kick, and on the off chance someone else here cares about things Lovecraftian, I received an e-mail from John Pelan at Darkside Press today, who says that Cthulhuian Singularity is back on track and moving forward (original release estimate was December '06)--pricetag is steep at $75 for the signed LE and $150 for the deluxe, but should be worth it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:11 pm 

I am not in a hurry to read The Children of Hurin.

Aside from the fact that it is a depressing story, there is the fact that I've read it about seven times already.

I would be interested in hearing from new reviewers how much the current narrative differs and/or improves on the older narratives.

Of course...I'll end up buying it... :x

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:45 pm 

I'll more than likely finish it within a couple of days (or at least by Monday), so I'll post my first impressions.  I'll probably re-read the other versions of the Narn i Chin Hurin in Unfinished Tales and The Silmarillion right afterwards, to refresh my memory.  

From the first chapter of Hurin, which I'm not quite through, about the first three or four pages were VERY familiar, and if I remember correctly are very similar to the version in the S.  However, from there on I'm definitely getting the sense I'm reading something I never have before.  The style is much more narrative (if that's the right word) than the S, less "biblical".  It's been longer since I last read the Tales, but as I recall most of that is fairly dry too.  The new one is definitely a novel in a way that the other two are not.  I can't recommend it yet based on 43 pages, but nothing so far has put me off in the slightest.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:45 pm 

There's still time to donate your old gaming stuff to troops in Iraq for the first D&D convention/game day ever held in a war zone, Ziggurat Con.

http://www.gamegrene.com/node/790

I just donated some old D&D hard covers in not so great shape and some old dice as well that I've been hanging-on to for too many years...

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 25 of 111123 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 109110111