Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 24 of 111123 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:06 pm 

As a British citizen, you might have trouble crossing the border between Canada and the US.  Not sure.  But maybe.

Maybe it is less of a hassle for members of the old commonwealth.

Lots of stuff to see in a small area in Seattle.  If nothing else, don't miss the Renraku Archology and the Aztechnology Visitors Center.

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:06 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:Also, steel yourself for some very long drives.  This country is about 3000 miles across (I'm guessing here), and some of these trips can become mind-bogglingly boring.

You'll see once you get to Texas  :wink:

Imagine doing a North America road trip.  Fly into east coast US, drive across, then go north and drive back across Canada :)  Make sure to find a rental car company that offers unlimited mileage.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:11 pm 

FormCritic wrote:As a British citizen, you might have trouble crossing the border between Canada and the US.  Not sure.  But maybe.

Maybe it is less of a hassle for members of the old commonwealth.

Lots of stuff to see in a small area in Seattle.  If nothing else, don't miss the Renraku Archology and the Aztechnology Visitors Center.

Mark  8)

I don't think there would be much trouble on the Canadian border but maybe going back into the states.  I think you might need a visa for the US but probably not for Canada.  Also, if you are driving, do you have an international drivers license?  I'm not sure how it works for the British in the US but for Americans in the UK, they need to take a drivers test.  Canadians in the UK, can just exchange their drivers license for a UK one.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:15 pm 

If its on your route, you could also stop by Frank's bakery and pick up something for the road.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:03 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Lots of stuff to see in a small area in Seattle.  If nothing else, don't miss the Renraku Archology and the Aztechnology Visitors Center.

Mark  8)

Heh-heh... :twisted:

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:13 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:Also, steel yourself for some very long drives.  This country is about 3000 miles across (I'm guessing here), and some of these trips can become mind-bogglingly boring.

It is a big country, that's for sure ... Seattle to Miami: 3,420 miles. 8O

But we also have a country that can be mind-blowing in its natural beauty. When you're not busy hitting some of the cities that other folks have mentioned, Al, you should go out of your way and visit some of our natural wonders. There's too many to list here, but I'll add that any of the National Parks in Utah, Montana, Wyoming, or Colorado would take your breath away.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:12 pm 

You should try to make it down to the south.  I-10 is not a bad road, taking you through Pensacola, FL - beautiful beaches,  New Orleans - which my Louisiana cousin tells me is really back (after Katrina) in the French Quarter, then you can drive over a really scarily tall bridge in the Houston area, etc.  It's a good jumping-off road, and not as boring as driving through the middle of the country.  Oh, and if you should make it down here to Orlando, the Kennedy Space center is awesome, and you can take airboat rides over alligator infested waters on the St. Johns river!

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:16 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:must admit the old route 66 does sound immensely appealing.

one thing i have found so far on my adventures, is that you can meet some absolutely amazing ppl (some obviously not so as well but you cant have everything). one thing i did want to do, clearly depending on route of course as well, was to meet some buds along the way. if route 66 goes near you guys down in texas, then yeah cool, it would rock to get to meet y'all! clearly the most sensible thing to do, would be to arrange a date and meet everyone at the same time. give mike an excuse to go swinging swords out back again :D

but yes, sounding good guys, making some cool notes here. i must admit, i would rather do more off-the-beaten-track stuff, rather than everything the other 50million tourists do...know what i mean?

Al

Following the Route 66 trail through Texas will take you right pas tthe Cadillac Ranch...google it if you want to know what it is.  Typical Texas craziness  :D

If you come through Texas, one of the off the beaten track locations is the Robert E. Howard house in Cross Plains.  It is waaaay off the beaten path, but you can walk right through the house REH grew up in, the streets where he lived (where not that much has changed), see the books in his library, etc.  Pretty cool.  

Dallas itself has the School Book Depository museum, in the building where Osward took the shots (or did he?????  8O ).  The atmosphere is great...dozens of nutcases roaming the streets in front of the building hawking all sorts of conspiracy books, and giving tours of the area with each weirdo giving their own unique conspiracy slant.  When they argue with each other (say, Mafia conspiracy guy arguing with Cuban conspiracy guy) it can be a laugh riot. The tour inside is very respectful and well done.  

BTW, don't stop to get authentic Mexican food anywhere but the Southwest (Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Sothern California,etc). They call it Mexican food in the Midwest and NE, but I'm not sure what it is.  In Missouri have actually had picante sauce served to me made with KETCHUP!!!  And had a slice of AMERICAN cheese put on my enchiladas at a joint in Tennessee.  Yikes.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:25 pm 

Mars wrote:
Imagine doing a North America road trip.  Fly into east coast US, drive across, then go north and drive back across Canada :)  Make sure to find a rental car company that offers unlimited mileage.

When we get a chance, my wife and I are going to do the complete Route 66 Trip, Chicago to LA, by car taking about a month or so.  We would only eat at diners and non-chains, and make sure to hit all the backroads.  We will probably only be able to manage one half at a time. unless we can someday afford to take a complete month off and maybe rent a RV.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:10 am 

Does anyone offhand have a link to EXTSR's bakery's website?  My mom had ordered from them mail order a year or 2 back after I forwarded her a link, loved the goodies though she can't have them often due to diabetes and was thinking about ordering some more goodies to be shipped to a friend who's laid up in the hosipital, but we neither seem to have the link anymore.  TIA.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:25 am 

killjoy32 wrote:must admit the old route 66 does sound immensely appealing.

one thing i have found so far on my adventures, is that you can meet some absolutely amazing ppl (some obviously not so as well but you cant have everything). one thing i did want to do, clearly depending on route of course as well, was to meet some buds along the way. if route 66 goes near you guys down in texas, then yeah cool, it would rock to get to meet y'all! clearly the most sensible thing to do, would be to arrange a date and meet everyone at the same time. give mike an excuse to go swinging swords out back again :D

but yes, sounding good guys, making some cool notes here. i must admit, i would rather do more off-the-beaten-track stuff, rather than everything the other 50million tourists do...know what i mean?

Al

I think U.S. Route 66 goes through Texas, but up in the Panhandle (around Amarillo).  The modern route--as a fair amount is either abandoned or under Interstate highways--is:

>  Chicago to St. Louis -- Interstate 55;
>  St. Louis to Oklahoma City -- Interstate 44;
>  Oklahoma City to Barstow, California -- Interstate 40;
>  Barstow to Los Angeles -- Interstate 15;
>  In Los Angeles, US 66 was (I think) Santa Monica Boulevard; it ended at the Santa Monica Pier, if I remember right.

Nice to see that Colorado is one of the places many of you all recommend or like to go ! :D   Of course, one of the places here to see is to go to the summit of Pikes Peak; I get to see it every morning, as the window above my computer faces west toward the Peak :D  :D.   And not just that:  Cave of the Winds, Garden of the Gods, the aspens turning in the fall . . . on and on.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:26 am 

Reindeergamez wrote:Does anyone offhand have a link to EXTSR's bakery's website?  My mom had ordered from them mail order a year or 2 back after I forwarded her a link, loved the goodies though she can't have them often due to diabetes and was thinking about ordering some more goodies to be shipped to a friend who's laid up in the hosipital, but we neither seem to have the link anymore.  TIA.

Frank's bakery can be found here:

http://www.thebakershouse.com/

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:16 am 

wow thanks once again guys!! some really cool stuff there to take in. i am making loads of notes here. when i get time, out comes the map, to see what i can plausibly take in.

one thing is for sure, i will be visiting folk along the way if its possible. seems silly to go all that way and not drop by to say hello :)

thanks once again

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:34 am 

bclarkie wrote:
Frank's bakery can be found here:

http://www.thebakershouse.com/

TY!  =)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:50 am 

I don't think there would be much trouble on the Canadian border but maybe going back into the states.  I think you might need a visa for the US but probably not for Canada.  Also, if you are driving, do you have an international drivers license?  I'm not sure how it works for the British in the US but for Americans in the UK, they need to take a drivers test.  Canadians in the UK, can just exchange their drivers license for a UK one.

IIRC, if you are on vacation you don't need a visa. As long as you have a valid passport you can come and go as you please between the borders. I certainly can, and I don't see why someone from England would be any different. NAFTA or something like that (which would treat Can and US citizens different from int'l) doesn't have anything to do with tourists.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:51 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
4. any MUST go to see places on the way?

Al

I've driven from Seattle to Dallas, and Dallas to Miami. Driving up and down along the coasts is fun (good mix of cities, scenery).. but across the continent? Not the most thrilling ride unless you like looking at the country or chilling at rest stops.

killjoy32 wrote:
5. places to avoid?

Al

South Dallas.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:08 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
IIRC, if you are on vacation you don't need a visa. As long as you have a valid passport you can come and go as you please between the borders. I certainly can, and I don't see why someone from England would be any different. NAFTA or something like that (which would treat Can and US citizens different from int'l) doesn't have anything to do with tourists.

Citizens of the UK do not need a Visa to visit Canada.

The US and Canada maintain different (but similar) lists of which nationalities are required to obtain a visa just to visit.  Just because someone can visit the US without a visa doesn't mean they can necessarily visit Canada as well.  Also, the US and Canada have different rules on admitting people with Felony convictions. To further complicate the matter, if you plan to visit the US for more than 90 days you'll probably need to obtain a visitors visa.  Canada has a similar time period as well but I don't know what it is off hand.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Last edited by NetRodent on Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:13 pm 

The US and Canada maintain different (but similar) lists of which nationalities are required to obtain a visa just to visit.  Just because someone can visit the US without a visa doesn't mean they can necessarily visit Canada as well.

Yeah, if you are from China or from Iran or some place like that you might need a special visa. But I highly doubt a European would need one to either country.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 24 of 111123 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 109110111