Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 23 of 111123 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:32 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:You don't have to live in a large urban area to have gun violence occur.

The city doesn't have to be big but I was just saying that I think the majority of shooting do occur in larger cities.  I'm from Thunder Bay, that was rated the murder capital of North America a few times based on per capita.  We had just over 100,000 people and there were a few years where we had 8-10 murders a year.  In a per capita comparison, detroit (which would occassionally win this award) would have to have about 400 gun deaths since their population was 4 million.

I guess what I am saying is that it is much more isolated in smaller cities whereas big cities have a more steady rate each year.  I also think that an event like stays with people in the smaller cities longer too.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:43 pm 

If you would like a lighter discussion.  I was pretty pissed off a couple of weeks ago when the student union at my university held a referendum to pass a new student fee for a mandatory buss pass.  There were actually two referendums - one for undergrads and one for grad students.  The fee is $180 a year charged to each student who will then receive a bus pass.  It is a group deal so you cannot opt out - everyone pays.  Personally, I drive my truck and pay for parking so I was a bit po'd to have to pay another $180 for something I would not use.

The results were that the undergrads voted 56% in favour and 44% against and the grads vote 47% in favour, 52% against.  So the 22,000 undergraduates will now be paying $180 a year and each will be have a bus pass.  This actually seems to be a trend up here in Canada with more than half of the universities (at least in Ontario) imposing a mandatory bus pass on their students.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:04 pm 

Mars wrote:If you would like a lighter discussion.  I was pretty pissed off a couple of weeks ago when the student union at my university held a referendum to pass a new student fee for a mandatory buss pass.  There were actually two referendums - one for undergrads and one for grad students.  The fee is $180 a year charged to each student who will then receive a bus pass.  It is a group deal so you cannot opt out - everyone pays.  Personally, I drive my truck and pay for parking so I was a bit po'd to have to pay another $180 for something I would not use.

The results were that the undergrads voted 56% in favour and 44% against and the grads vote 47% in favour, 52% against.  So the 22,000 undergraduates will now be paying $180 a year and each will be have a bus pass.  This actually seems to be a trend up here in Canada with more than half of the universities (at least in Ontario) imposing a mandatory bus pass on their students.

I'd be willing to bet that is an effort to help make Canada more "green".  :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:07 pm 

Just when you think this story could not get any creepier and more sad then it already was, you see this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070418/ap_ ... h_shooting

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:39 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Just when you think this story could not get any creepier and more sad then it already was, you see this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070418/ap_ ... h_shooting

Yeh, that's great. Now we get this piece of shit's insane ramblings preserved for eternity, and analyzed ad nauseum. I only had to watch one minute for a clinical diagnosis...the dude was freaking off his rocker.

The video makes it pretty obvious....whatever method he chose, he was going to take a lot of others with him.  He was like a effing director starring in his own snuff film.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:41 am 

Has anyone seen this?  A friend of mine IM'd me the link today.

Try not looking at the avatar while you read it.  Not easy...

http://jettcat.livejournal.com/328092.html

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:21 am 

*makes an attempt to get some form of topic back onto a lighter note*

need a little help / advice from my american friends over yonder.

sometime in the near future, i am going to do a USA coast-to-coast road trip.

things i would like to know is this:

1. where is the best place to fly to on the east coast to do this

2. where is the best place to fly back from on the west coast

3. where would you advise to go from on the east coast and to where on the west coast?

4. any MUST go to see places on the way?

5. places to avoid?

that will prb do me for now to get the idea moving planning-wise :)

thanks

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:36 am 

Kires1 wrote:Try not looking at the avatar while you read it.  Not easy...

http://jettcat.livejournal.com/328092.html

Indeed.  Impossible, really.   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:43 am 

killjoy32 wrote:*makes an attempt to get some form of topic back onto a lighter note*

3. where would you advise to go from on the east coast and to where on the west coast?

5. places to avoid?

thanks

Al

Sounds like an awesome trip, Al!  What are your interests?  Nature or culture?

Baltimore-Washington is my favorite East Coast port of entry.  Very easy to get through.  Newark can be a nightmare, and the TSA and INS officials there are assholes.  San Francisco or Seattle would be my choices for West Coast destinations and exits.  Can't really go wrong in either place (though I seem to recall having been harassed in the Seattle Airport once, around the time of the big protests when Clinton was pres).

Are you driving cross-country?  If so, I'd suggest you drive through the Great Smoky Mountains, the central Great Plains (Nebraska; beautiful), and the northern Rockies.  You'll see an incredible array of landscapes that will boggle the European mind.  When you get to the West Coast, either Northern California or the coast of Oregon would be worth a visit and extended stay.  Just incredibly beautiful nature.  Sea lions on rocks, whales offshore, the works.  And, of course, the incomparable Pacific Ocean.

I'm not much into cities, but Washington, D.C., is a must-see, as is Manhattan (though if things go wrong, you're going to have a horrible time there).  Also, Philadelphia is vastly under-rated.  Quite an interesting, beautiful, cultural, and walk-able city.  (Just don't turn down the wrong alley on your way to see Betsy Ross's house  :D  8O ).  Pittsburgh is also a great city (moving west across Pennsylvania now), and of course Brian lives there.  Beyond that, further west, there's not much to see in terms of great cities as far as I know, but like I said, once you get to the coast SF and Seattle are gems.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:02 am 

hey stephen!

wooo thanks for that. given me a few lil ideas for sure.

bit of background. i have been to the US twice. spent the millenium in new york, so have done that. not keen on driving through that place thanks :) tho i am sorely tempted to go at a point where i could catch a jets game <--- one item to tick of my "dream things" list. been to phoenix, grand canyon, las vegas, LA (venice beach/hollywood), been down and stayed right by the Angels baseball stadium (assuming its still that like 13 years on), been to knotts berry farm and disney land/world, whichever one is there, and hollywood studios in hollywood, san diego and san francisco. oh yeah while in phoenix, i stayed in tempe. so i have seen a fair few things.

primarily, i like to "SEE" things. not really a shopper/city person. would much rather go and see something thats worth remembering etc.

my loose idea was this. fly into somewhere north on the east coast, travel down the coast and go visit brian (so i can tell him to stop bursting blood vessels to his face :D) and then trek down the coast to sorta atlanta ish, maybe further ? then go straight cross country literally via any places that are cool to see and visit, get to X on the west coast and then head north along the coast to seattle <--- always wanted to go there and i believe my friend mr shipley is in them there parts, so would like to land on him and talk JG :) and yes i think to finish either before or after there a little mooching around the rockies, another thing i would like to see and do.

so there you go, thats kinda what i had in mind. obviously it would be time-permissive as to what i could/couldnt do, but some good places to go see is a must for putting some meat on the bones so to speak.

hope that helps :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:12 am 

Al, take a look at the Jets home schedule and let me know which game you'd like to see.  I'm fairly certain I can get you two tickets with awesome seats - at no cost.  

I'm serious!

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:27 am 

killjoy32 wrote:sometime in the near future, i am going to do a USA coast-to-coast road trip.

Sounds like fun Al.  I am sure a lot of people will chime in with great suggestions.  Do you have any idea about how long you plan to take to get from east to west?  If you plan on at least two weeks here are a few of my suggestions:

1) Boston.  Where else can you find a 250 year old church right next to a modern skyscraper?  Lots of historical sights and great food and drink.

2) Washington D.C.  The Smithsonian.  Air & Space museum, National Archives, Museum of Natural History, etc, etc, etc.

3) Philadelphia.  Philly cheese-steak.  'Nuff said.  :)  Oh yeah, they also have Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, and a bunch of other historical stuff.

4) Colorado.  In my opinion the most beautiful part of the country.  If you want some specifics let me know.

5) San Francisco or San Diego.  Both are beautiful places to visit.  Never been to Seattle though.

The old Route 66 highway starts in Chicago, runs south through St. Louis and then curves through Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and then ends in Los Angeles.  It is off the beaten path and you get to see what "small-town" America is like.  There are a lot of interesting historical places and you get to meet a lot of interesting people along the way.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:42 am 

killjoy32 wrote:*makes an attempt to get some form of topic back onto a lighter note*

5. places to avoid?

thanks

Al

Stop through the Dallas/Fort Worth area on your way across, I'll buy you a shiner at the stockyards. It's where the west meets the "east"...east in the old days being the Trinity river and Dallas.  A lot of traditionally "western" things like actual cowboys, steer, horses, etc. And of course, the best mexican food inthe US....

I've done a lot of traveling in the midwest the last few years...quite dull and boring, not a lot to see.  Some beautiful scenery in Arkansas but not much else. Kansas, Missourit, Iowa, Nebraska...dull as dirt. Oklahama is one big yawn. Lots of nothing in between more nothing.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:52 am 

must admit the old route 66 does sound immensely appealing.

one thing i have found so far on my adventures, is that you can meet some absolutely amazing ppl (some obviously not so as well but you cant have everything). one thing i did want to do, clearly depending on route of course as well, was to meet some buds along the way. if route 66 goes near you guys down in texas, then yeah cool, it would rock to get to meet y'all! clearly the most sensible thing to do, would be to arrange a date and meet everyone at the same time. give mike an excuse to go swinging swords out back again :D

but yes, sounding good guys, making some cool notes here. i must admit, i would rather do more off-the-beaten-track stuff, rather than everything the other 50million tourists do...know what i mean?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:53 am 

bombadil wrote:Al, take a look at the Jets home schedule and let me know which game you'd like to see.  I'm fairly certain I can get you two tickets with awesome seats - at no cost.  

I'm serious!

hey i will do...good idea! tho i am not certain of the timing of the trip yet, so it may not be possible. i aint gonna lose any sleep over it though as i will get round to it one day anyway. if i dont manage to wangle that, sure we could arrange summit else to spend some hours chewing the fat :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:58 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Sounds like fun Al.  I am sure a lot of people will chime in with great suggestions.  Do you have any idea about how long you plan to take to get from east to west?  If you plan on at least two weeks here are a few of my suggestions:

1) Boston.  Where else can you find a 250 year old church right next to a modern skyscraper?  Lots of historical sights and great food and drink.

2) Washington D.C.  The Smithsonian.  Air & Space museum, National Archives, Museum of Natural History, etc, etc, etc.

3) Philadelphia.  Philly cheese-steak.  'Nuff said.  :)  Oh yeah, they also have Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, and a bunch of other historical stuff.

4) Colorado.  In my opinion the most beautiful part of the country.  If you want some specifics let me know.

5) San Francisco or San Diego.  Both are beautiful places to visit.  Never been to Seattle though.

been to san francisco and san diego, so not really bothered about seeing them again as i have done that. seattle is more than 90% certain to feature at the end of the trip.

colorado sounds interesting, though i aint great on my US geography so will need to go and look at a map to see whats possible, but i have made a note and will holler if its a possibility.

philly is where brian is? or is that pittsburgh? i know it begins with a P but cant remember :) sounds like there are some really cool historical things to see there, so that might be a good one to take in for me.

DC? ummm undecided on that one i have to say, though the museums sound cool - i quite like taking them in.

boston....this is gonna sound REALLY corny, but i have always wanted to go and sit at the cheers bar and order a beer. is it still there? is it a possibility?

thanks for chiming in KOP.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:41 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:4. any MUST go to see places on the way?

Rhode Island for vineyards, farmland, harbors, and 300-year-old buildings where there should be a mega-city that looks like NYC.  A touch of Lovecraft . . .

New Jersey to see crowded urban blight and (disappearing) farmlands and forests separated by a short ride.  The Jersey Devil lives here, too.

Seattle for the Space Needle, Seattle Center, the Experience Music thingy near the Seattle Center, Farmer's Market, Capitol Hill, University of Washington, Boeing Air and Space Museum, HPB, the 520 bridge, the Fremont troll, the ferries, strip clubs, mushrooms, great hydro weed . . .

And nestled in the rainforest of Oregon is a park of concrete dinosaurs.

5. places to avoid?

Los Angeles, NYC, and Washington, D.C. because of traffic, population density, and crime.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:44 pm 

If you decide on Washington, D.C., in addition to all the usual sites (the  the Lincoln Memorial at night is gorgeous), you might want to stay in a hotel in Arlington, Virginia (the town across the Potomic River from D.C.) and then take a taxi across the Key Bridge into Georgetown.

This is the neighborhood around Georgetown University, and is full of unique pubs, restaurants and shops.  

Tell the cab driver ... slowly, as his English will be limited ... that you want to go to M-Street and dropped off in front of Clyde's pub.  The cabbie will know where it is.  It's a great place to get a beer, and the urban legend has it that it's the bar where John Kennedy and Richard Nixon used to drink together back in the 50s.

I highly recommend the Blue Ridge Parkway in the Virginia part of the Appalachian Mountains.  It's a breathtaking winding road through the mountains and it will also send you southward toward Atlanta, which appears to be one of your destinations.

I also agree with the posts above regarding Colorado (a must), as well as Northern California.  The Napa Valley is something you have to see to believe.

If you make it as far as Seattle, you should take a day trip over the border into British Columbia as well.

Good luck ...
Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 23 of 111123 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 109110111