Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 3 of 11112, 3, 4 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:28 pm 

Coincidences can be fun ... I'm 99-percent sure I just sold a lot to our newest member, barrscott, who just signed up. :)

Scott, if that's you, your items were mailed yesterday. :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:19 am 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:I think our defensive weakness is overplayed. We lost our star defensive end midseason (greg ellis) which coincided pretty closely with the defensive implosion.  We had no pass rush the rest of the season which will kill every team and expose guys like Roy Williams.

My problem there was that Greg Ellis was NOT Lawrence Taylor.  Losing one player, who happens to be a guy playing out of position for the first time in his career, shouldn't cause that sort of collapse unless he's an absolute franchise player. Before this season, I don't think half the fans of the Cowboys (and half the coaches) would have cared if Ellis was traded to another team in the offseason, yet by midseason he's the reason we are getting 40 pts a game clocked on us?  Losing one guy like that shouldn't have let teams like the Saints, Eagles and Lions basically run wild over you the last month of the season. It's like the Cowboys defensive coaches just threw their arms in the air and said "That's it! We're done!" when Greg got hurt.
   One word of advice to Wade Phillips: If you want to improve the defense, I dont' want to EVER see Roy Williams sliding back to "help" the CBs in coverage again.  Ever. Williams is an explosive defensive player whose talents were totally ignored this season.  He creates havoc when he plays close to the line, he looks like Stephen Hawking when he's trying to cover anyone.  I agree the pass rush made him look bad, but that's because Roy should have BEEN the pass rush.  If the man played closer up front, I honestly think he might be mentioned in the same breath as LT someday.
 BTW, I bet my wife tonight the news would lead with the Wade Phillips signing instead of the Anna Nicole Smith death....I was half right, half the stations did, the other half did a short ANS story before diving into Cowboys news for almost the entire 30 minutes afterward. I mean, this IS the Dallas Cowboys, kids. and we are in Dallas.... 8)

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:24 am 

Hey, UK guys...

What do you think about American millionaire (and owner of the Dallas Stars hockey team and Texas Rangers basebal team) Tom Hicks buying the Liverpool stadium/soccer team there?  Any insights to what the sentiment is overseas?  Word is here he's just buying the team to get the rights to the stadium....he doesn't know a thing about soccer.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:34 am 

Badmike wrote:Hey, UK guys...

What do you think about American millionaire (and owner of the Dallas Stars hockey team and Texas Rangers basebal team) Tom Hicks buying the Liverpool stadium/soccer team there?  Any insights to what the sentiment is overseas?  Word is here he's just buying the team to get the rights to the stadium....he doesn't know a thing about soccer.

Mike B.

The way I see it, its probably a 5/10 year investment thing. A top Premiership club like Liverpool will always be a safe bet as regards earning potential so it's just a matter of how much money over how long a period of time.
I guess he's a 'sports' guy who's jumping on the bandwagon a bit - he'll go to a few games, perhaps wear a shirt (jersey) and then drop out of sight in the UK.
HOWEVER - should he try and move Liverpool from Anfield.............. Well I wouldn't want the wrath of a million scousers!

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:44 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
that ponting though - what a player. hes like that steve waugh - you just cant get him out!

Al

True .. great players ... but then there has been alot of retirement in the Aussie team.  This should give England a fighting chance now.

Back to AFL ... can't wait for the 23 Feb.  Not only does the NAB Cup start .. but the Nintendo Wii will be back in stock.

:lol:

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:51 am 

gyg wrote:The way I see it, its probably a 5/10 year investment thing. A top Premiership club like Liverpool will always be a safe bet as regards earning potential so it's just a matter of how much money over how long a period of time.
I guess he's a 'sports' guy who's jumping on the bandwagon a bit - he'll go to a few games, perhaps wear a shirt (jersey) and then drop out of sight in the UK.
HOWEVER - should he try and move Liverpool from Anfield.............. Well I wouldn't want the wrath of a million scousers!

Absolutely.  Personally I think that football clubs are huge moneypits and it would be very difficult to make much money from a team (other than Manchester United where the IP rights will make you money).  Liverpool probably isn't far off though.

I agree that if he tried to move Liverpool from Anfield he'd face a lot of problems!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:53 am 

improvstone wrote:
... but then there has been alot of retirement in the Aussie team.  This should give England a fighting chance now.

Well we've just beat the Aussies in the first game of the final of the triangular series in Melbourne.  By a whole four wickets (or four balls  :wink:  )

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:39 am 

Sardan wrote:
Absolutely.  Personally I think that football clubs are huge moneypits and it would be very difficult to make much money from a team (other than Manchester United where the IP rights will make you money).  Liverpool probably isn't far off though.

I agree that if he tried to move Liverpool from Anfield he'd face a lot of problems!

Sardan, gyg---wasn't there some talk in the recent past about Liverpool moving from Anfield into a new stadium, because expanding the stadium was not possible for some reason?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:43 am 

sleepyCO wrote:Sardan, gyg---wasn't there some talk in the recent past about Liverpool moving from Anfield into a new stadium, because expanding the stadium was not possible for some reason?

Word on the street here in Dallas is that Hicks bought the club for the rights to the stadium...he sees money in the property itself, whether for selling it or holding more events there, or fixing it up and reselling it, no one knows.  Hopefully he didn't buy it to move the team and piss off a bunch of drunken soccer hooligans!!!! :twisted:

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:18 am 

Sardan wrote:
Well we've just beat the Aussies in the first game of the final of the triangular series in Melbourne.  By a whole four wickets (or four balls  :wink:  )

Sard, they ARE moving from Anfield....they are building a new stadium in Stanley Park (which is right between Anfield and Goodison for those who dont know).

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:22 am 

Badmike wrote:Hopefully he didn't buy it to move the team and piss off a bunch of drunken soccer hooligans!!!! :twisted:
Mike B.
Arent you repeating yourself?
Drunks and hooligans and soccer fans.....
All three critters are the same things arent they?

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:25 am 

sleepyCO wrote:Sardan, gyg---wasn't there some talk in the recent past about Liverpool moving from Anfield into a new stadium, because expanding the stadium was not possible for some reason?

sleepy: well if you ever go to Anfield, you will quickyl understand why they cant expand the stadium anymore :)

the new one they have planned will be pretty amazing so i look forward to it, but it will be sad to leave Anfield.

They will still have a Kop in the new stadium i guarantee you.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:05 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:

They will still have a Kop in the new stadium i guarantee you.

Al

But such things are never the same - take it from someone who spent many happy afternoons at Millwall's Den - The 'New Den' just never cut it even though it was bigger/better/easier to get to etc etc.

(Presumably only the English among us will understand the impact Millwall FC had on English football!! :twisted: )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:57 am 

gyg wrote:But such things are never the same - take it from someone who spent many happy afternoons at Millwall's Den - The 'New Den' just never cut it even though it was bigger/better/easier to get to etc etc.

(Presumably only the English among us will understand the impact Millwall FC had on English football!! :twisted: )

ah but youre not liverpool. we will embrace the new as the old. and after all, its already not the old kop stand anyway. i was there for the very last game before the ripped it all out and changed it to seating.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:26 am 

Here's an interesting little tidbit:

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... itan-games

Seems that Tonyas-Games Ebay account has now been merged with Titan-games.  Not all that big of a deal in the grand shceme of things, its just easier to keep track of who not to buy from. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:51 am 

bclarkie wrote:Here's an interesting little tidbit:

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... itan-games

Seems that Tonyas-Games Ebay account has now been merged with Titan-games.  Not all that big of a deal in the grand shceme of things, its just easier to keep track of who not to buy from. :)

I think the below notice might explain it better.  I don't think this is private information since it was sent out in an email to all Titan's games mail members.  It looks to me as if Tonya will be taking over all ebay sales while Marcus concentrates on the main business sales only?

Mike B.

Dear Fellow Gamers, Friends, Family and Associates:

Titan Games has been going through some changes.  As you may already know, the owners have divorced, and Laurel King has left the employ of Titan Games (taking a banking job).  Like you, we will all miss Laurel, and wish her well.

Colleen is now the online sales manager for TitanGames.com and 3FREEgames.com, as well as helping out on the retail store floor, and assisting me with purchasing games for the site.  
For the past two weeks, our online sales have sucked.  This has been mostly due to a major flaw with our website - and the emails were going to nowhere and being eaten by the ethernet, or something like that (to me a computer is a magic box, okay?).  However, we have had Greg here working for the past two weeks, and the order form is now forwarding correctly.

Also, in the next week we will be going to an all new format for the website.  Though it will look VERY similar to the old site, it will be streamlined a bit, and contain more information.  Additionally, there will no longer be a case of our putting, for example, the D & D 3.0 Players Handbook in 7 different locations - meaning our DATA will be better formatted to searching, browsing, purchasing, and less amusing.  Sorry, but it's true - our data was so screwed up that we had magazines out of order, PHBs listed in multiple locations for the same game, and other problems.  Currently, the data is still a bit of a mess ( though the orders go through fine).

As such, we are embarking on a new period for Titan Games - one where we will process orders faster, add things to the site faster, and need to buy MORE MERCHANDISE, all the time.  If you have stuff to sell - whether you whole game cache, or collection - or just the stuff you don't play anymore, send it to us!!!  We buy it all!

Additionally, we want to bring everyone's attention another option for buying from the Titan-Games family - and that is eBay.  My daughter, Tonya King, sells on eBay under the name Titan-Games (with the hyphen).  Her feedback is impressive, and though she does some liquidations for me, it is her operation - so if you want to check out titan-games on eBay, you are dealing with my daughter, and she does a tremendous job (though, she is a college student, she is slow to process orders).

Titan Games has gone through a lot of changes in the past 12 years, since its inception in 1994.  Owner Quincey sold it to Laurel, Dale and me back in 1998.  Then I bought out Dale in 2001.  Now, Laurel has left too.  Our online sales managers have been Quincey, me, Mark (who lasted almost 2 weeks!), me, Chuck, Brian, Jon (another short timer), Allan, Laurel - and now Colleen.  Back in the day, we just had some black text on a green background.  Now, it is a bit nicer.  Soon, it will be much nicer than it is now.

Through it all, you - our customers have supported my family, helped put braces on the teeth of my oldest daughter, helped us buy a home, put Tonya in College, and much, much more.  I hope you realize how much I, we, all of us - appreciate your confidence and trust.

Soon, we will have an all new update of new merchandise being added to the site (next week) and you will, again, be getting at least weekly updates from us.

For now, let me say - THANK YOU.  Good things to come.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:28 am 

i quite liked this bit:

"you are dealing with my daughter, and she does a tremendous job (though, she is a college student, she is slow to process orders). "

thats an extract from the book of 101 excuses, coming soon from Judges Guild.  :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:29 am 

killjoy32 wrote:i quite liked this bit:

"you are dealing with my daughter, and she does a tremendous job (though, she is a college student, she is slow to process orders). "

thats an extract from the book of 101 excuses, coming soon from Judges Guild.  :D

Al

Great, how many printings are there to be of that one? :wink:

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 3 of 11112, 3, 4 ... 109110111