Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 17 of 111123 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:09 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Probably means inhaled, or exhaled thru the nose.

Makes sense.

Here's a question then for forum members: "What is the worst thing you have ever snerked?"

For me it would have to be thick Norwegian sour milk, which is like thick, sour drinking yoghurt. Someone made me laugh when drinking it, and it completely filled my nasal passges!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:18 am 

Here is Keith Richards' worst snerking...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6524661.stm

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:36 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:
Makes sense.

Here's a question then for forum members: "What is the worst thing you have ever snerked?"

For me it would have to be thick Norwegian sour milk, which is like thick, sour drinking yoghurt. Someone made me laugh when drinking it, and it completely filled my nasal passges!

When I was in elementary school, I made a guy laugh so hard while eating that spaghetti came out of his nose... 8O  Unfortunately this image has stayed with me over 30 years, so I guess I paid for that in the long run....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:40 am 

red_bus wrote:Here is Keith Richards' worst snerking...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6524661.stm

The funniest line of all was the suggestion for further discussion at the bottom:

Do you have a story about how you disposed of the ashes of a relative?

LOL. Like Richard's snorting his dad's ashes was just another decision that anyone would come to....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:49 am 

Badmike wrote:
Do you have a story about how you disposed of the ashes of a relative?

Or ... a variation: Do you have a story about how you disposed of a relative?   :wink:

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:40 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:
Makes sense.

Chocolate cake and chocolate milk at a birthday party, double streamer style! Blew my nose for a week straight until the cake stopped flowing. To this day I still do not eat chocolate cake or drink chocolate milk  :mrgreen:

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:21 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Here's a question then for forum members: "What is the worst thing you have ever snerked?"

You havent felt pain until you have snerked salsa up through your nose!  Happened to me about 5 or 6 years ago.  Thank God I was at home and not at a restaurant!

On a similar note.  I dared a friend of mine back in 6th grade to snort detergent (I believe it was Tide) and the dumb sonuvabitch was stupid enough to think I was serious and did it.  I swear I thought he was going to die the way he started screaming.  He was hopping around his garage trying to blow the stuff out of his nostril.  He actually picked up a water hose, turned it on, and squirted water up his honker....which worked but he had soap suds coming out of his nose for the next ten minutes.  He told me that he tasted soap for a week after that every time he swallowed.  :lol:

I think he tried smoking dried banana peels as well.  The guy was nuts.  :roll:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:14 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
You havent felt pain until you have snerked salsa up through your nose!  Happened to me about 5 or 6 years ago.  Thank God I was at home and not at a restaurant!

On a similar note.  I dared a friend of mine back in 6th grade to snort detergent (I believe it was Tide) and the dumb sonuvabitch was stupid enough to think I was serious and did it.  I swear I thought he was going to die the way he started screaming.  He was hopping around his garage trying to blow the stuff out of his nostril.  He actually picked up a water hose, turned it on, and squirted water up his honker....which worked but he had soap suds coming out of his nose for the next ten minutes.  He told me that he tasted soap for a week after that every time he swallowed.  :lol:

I think he tried smoking dried banana peels as well.  The guy was nuts.  :roll:

Good God, he sounds like one of those Darwin Award winners..."Man, we dared Ed to jump off the building with the homemade wings, and he did it!!!"

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:14 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
You havent felt pain until you have snerked salsa up through your nose!  

What the hell man, were you drinking it?! You're supposed to dip the chips in it not your nose!

Was it hot or mild?  :lol:

Reminds me of that Texas Chili Contest taster stand-in judge, Frank:

Frank: "Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a chili cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment, and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking for directions to the Coors Light truck, when the call came in. I was assured by the other two judges (native Texans) that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy and, besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted."

Here are the scorecards: (Frank is Judge #3)

Chili # 1 Eddie's Maniac Monster Chili…
Judge # 1 — A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.
Judge # 2 — Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.
Judge # 3 — (Frank) What the hell is this stuff?! You could remove dried paint from your driveway with it. Took me two beers to put out the flames. I hope that's the worst one. These Texans are crazy!

Chili # 2 Austin 's Afterburner Chili…
Judge # 1 — Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang.
Judge # 2 — Exciting BBQ flavor; needs more peppers to be taken eriously.
Judge # 3 — Keep this out of the reach of children. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.

Chili # 3 Ronny's Famous Burn Down the Barn Chili…
Judge # 1 — Excellent firehouse chili. Great kick. Needs more beans.
Judge # 2 — A beanless chili, a bit salty, good use of peppers.
Judge # 3 — Call the EPA. I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Get me more beer before I ignite. The barmaid pounded me on the back, now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting pie-eyed from all of the beer…

Chili # 4 Dave's Black Magic…
Judge # 1 — Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.
Judge # 2 — Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish, or other mild foods; not much of a chili.
Judge # 3 — I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burn out taste buds? Sally, the barmaid, was standing behind me with fresh refills. That 300-lb woman is starting to look HOT…just like this nuclear waste I'm eating! Is chili an aphrodisiac?

Chili # 5 Lisa's Legal Lip Remover…
Judge # 1 — Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.
Judge # 2 — Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.
Judge # 3 — My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead, and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I'm burning my lips off. It really pisses me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Screw those rednecks.

Chili # 6 Pam's Very Vegetarian Variety…
Judge # 1 — Thin, yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and peppers.
Judge # 2 — The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and garlic. Superb.
Judge # 3 — My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric flames. I pooped on myself when I farted, and I'm worried it will eat through the chair! No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that Sally. Can't feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my ass with a snow cone.

Chili # 7 Carla's Screaming Sensation Chili…
Judge # 1 — A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.
Judge # 2 — Ho-hum; tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment. **I should take note that I am worried about Judge # 3. He appears to be in a bit of distress, as he is cursing uncontrollably.
Judge # 3 — You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn't feel a thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava to match my shirt. At least during the autopsy, they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing; it's too painful. Screw it; I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.

Chili # 8 Karen's Toenail Curling Chili…
Judge # 1 — The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili. Not too bold, but spicy enough to declare its existence.
Judge # 2 — This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild, nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge # 3 farted, passed out, fell over, and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor fella, wonder how he'd have reacted to really hot chili?

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:50 pm 

Well, this thread has certainly veered off in an unexpected direction!

I'll point out now that I posted this link in response to the complaints above about the slow April Fool's Day.

zhowar wrote:Pig-footed Bandicoot Rises From the Dead

http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi/co ... 2007/401/1

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:29 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I think he tried smoking dried banana peels as well.  The guy was nuts.  :roll:

Actually, the banana peel thing works, somewhat.  It's a mild hallugicogenic.  Also, peanut skins (the little crinkly thingies you take from inside the shell, not the shell itself) are a pretty fair alternative to weed.  Yes, you guessed it, I was doing this sh*t about the same time I was playing AD&D, LOL.

David

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:02 pm 

My alter eBay ego piggfrogg posted some auctions and noted that they each had the viewing counters set at five.

Ifearyeti tried to look at them, but they had not yet entered eBays auction house mix.

Is eBay pulling a fast one here? Cheating up to make your auctions seem  more popular.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:57 pm 

For those of you into creating the most realistic campaign, and as a gratuitous plug, one of our old gaming group just published this on Oxford University press ........

http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/s ... 0199203970

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:12 pm 

"He who is not strong must needs be cunning"....sounds nicer "as Gheilge"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:32 am 

Okay, this is pretty OT, but I just had to vent about it somewhere where people might appreciate my horror.  Those of you who have ever read REH, JRRT, or Gary Gygax's novels will understand.  Check out Paizo.com's newest announcement, about two "classic" science fantasy novels to be published in August:

paizo.com wrote:Introducing Planet Stories: Classic Science Fantasy Novels

Almuric, by Robert E. Howard, is a savage planet of crumbling stone ruins and debased, near-human inhabitants. Into this world comes Esau Cairn, Earthman, swordsman, murderer. Only he can overthrow the terrible devils that enslave Almuric, but to do so he must first defeat the inner demons that forced him to abandon Earth. Filled with vile beasts and thrilling adventure in the tradition of Edgar Rice Burroughs, Almuric is one of Howard's few novels, and an excellent yarn from one of America's most distinct literary voices. Robert E. Howard is most known for creating the fictional character, Conan the Cimmerian (a.k.a. Conan the Barbarian), who has been featured in comic books, short stories, novels, and feature films for over 70 years. Howard's work is often credited as the source of the sword-and-sorcery genre and influenced everyone from J.R.R. Tolkien to George R.R. Martin.

The Anubis Murders, by Gary Gygax, weaves a fantastic tale of warring wizards that spans the world from the pyramids of ancient Egypt to the mist-shrouded towns of medieval England. Someone is murdering the world's most powerful sorcerers, and the trail of blood leads straight to Anubis, the solemn god known by most as the Master of Jackals. Can Magister Setne Inhetep, personal philosopher-wizard to the Pharaoh, reach the distant kingdom of Avillonia and put an end to the Anubis Murders, or will he be claimed as the latest victim? Gary Gygax co-created the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game over 30 years ago and has watched it grow to become one of the largest entertainment sources in the hobby gaming industry. Dungeons & Dragons has been played by tens of millions worldwide and the name Gygax is instantly recognizable to any fans of the game, past or present.

I'll make my rant short but bitter  :?  1) I'd be surprised if Prof. Tolkien ever heard of Robert E. Howard, let alone read him or was influenced by him.  Tolkien died in '73, before anything like the Conan game or movie might have brought it to his attention across the pond.  I doubt he was reading Weird Tales back in the '30s, which is how early it would likely have had to be to "influence" him.  I REALLY doubt he was exposed Lin Carter's Adult Fantasy series which came in the few years preceding his death.  And while I'm sure GRRM has read REH, I don't detect one iota of influence.  Please correct me if you know differently.  Don't get me wrong, I love REH's work too, but he and the good Professor don't even inhabit the same plane of existence.

Another Gary Gygax novel?  Didn't we try that already?  Again, don't get me wrong, I love the man for helping to create D&D, etc., but I've read the entire "Gord the Rogue" series, and while he might be a better novelist than R. A. Salvatore, it ain't by much.

Rant ended.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:03 am 

Radovarl wrote:Okay, this is pretty OT, but I just had to vent about it somewhere where people might appreciate my horror.  Those of you who have ever read REH, JRRT, or Gary Gygax's novels will understand.  Check out Paizo.com's newest announcement, about two "classic" science fantasy novels to be published in August:

I'll make my rant short but bitter  :?  1) I'd be surprised if Prof. Tolkien ever heard of Robert E. Howard, let alone read him or was influenced by him.  Tolkien died in '73, before anything like the Conan game or movie might have brought it to his attention across the pond.  I doubt he was reading Weird Tales back in the '30s, which is how early it would likely have had to be to "influence" him.  I REALLY doubt he was exposed Lin Carter's Adult Fantasy series which came in the few years preceding his death.  And while I'm sure GRRM has read REH, I don't detect one iota of influence.  Please correct me if you know differently.  Don't get me wrong, I love REH's work too, but he and the good Professor don't even inhabit the same plane of existence.

Another Gary Gygax novel?  Didn't we try that already?  Again, don't get me wrong, I love the man for helping to create D&D, etc., but I've read the entire "Gord the Rogue" series, and while he might be a better novelist than R. A. Salvatore, it ain't by much.

Rant ended.

Tolkien actually was quite aware of Howard and his ilk, but as for influence, well, it's pretty much been established JRR had an entire other field of writers influencing him, from William Morris to George MacDonald, and if anythng was far more influenced by ancient mythologies than even those two. "REH" at this point in our culture has become somewhat of a buzzword, much liike when I worked in a music store during the late 80s/early 90s  "The Replacements" would be invoked whenever a record rep had a new band to push, thus "This band really smokes and reminds me a lot of the Replacements".  Which would mean they were "supposedly" raw, powerful and reckless in their playing.  However, in most cases (as with the REH reference), it just meant the rep was trying to push another crappy, no talent band of the week on us.

As for the Anubis Murders, I believe this was first released in the late 80s, and this is just a re-release because the book has been out of print for so long.  I believe it supported the Dangerous Journeys game he created, specifically the world of Aegypt.  

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:06 am 

Radovarl wrote:Another Gary Gygax novel?  Didn't we try that already?  Again, don't get me wrong, I love the man for helping to create D&D, etc., but I've read the entire "Gord the Rogue" series, and while he might be a better novelist than R. A. Salvatore, it ain't by much.

Radovarl, just a FYI: this book originally came out in 1992! The Paizo version is a reprint. It was part of a series of three books: Anubis Murders, Samarkand Solution and Death in Delhi. These tied into the Dangerous Journeys game system & were murder-mysteries set in a fantasy world.
I completely missed them when they came out and only heard about them in the past few years. I haven't read them so I have no comment on the quality.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:16 am 

Badmike wrote:
Tolkien actually was quite aware of Howard and his ilk, but as for influence, well, it's pretty much been established JRR had an entire other field of writers influencing him, from William Morris to George MacDonald, and if anythng was far more influenced by ancient mythologies than even those two.

I didn't know that, thanks.  What's your source for that info (Tolkien's awareness of REH, not the Morris/MacDonald influence), if you don't mind me asking?  Not that I doubt you, I just want to read whatever it is.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 17 of 111123 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 109110111