Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 13 of 111123 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 109110111
Author


Prolific Collector

Posts: 191
Joined: Mar 04, 2007
Last Visit: Jun 26, 2019

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:34 am 
 

I got involved for a very short time with "Cu Glas" the crazy celtic battle re-enactors
who starred in such films as Braveheart, Gladiator, Highlander and various
other period tv stuff.I knew one of the original members because we were
initially in a bike gang together in our twenties.Monk was his name and he could certaintly swing a sword or spear around.They consisted of about 20
hard core members who actually dressed like celtic warriors mostly all of
the time.Covered in tats and body hair they certaintly looked the part.
A boating club from Clontarf in Dublin (Ireland) commissioned the building
of a full size replica of a Viking Longship complete with oars, sails and
even a hidden propeller and engine for long journeys.The entire Celtic
battle reenactors group dressed up as Vikings and along with various
experienced sailors from the Clontarf club sailed the Longship to the Isle
of Man in the Irish Sea(about a 100 mile round trip).For a special festival.
Man it looked great seeing them rowing that Longship out of Dublin bay.
Unfortunately injuries were high scarcely a week would not go by without
someone getting injured because the fights were very real.They used blunt Aluminium swords and weapons when fighting a large battle scene
but they would still hurt if things went wrong.For a major battle scene
they just keep the cameras rolling so if you are injured you just have to
remain where you were.The teams would devide up and half would be on
each side dressed accordingly.Then they would take up the front ranks of
the opposing troops...and when they came together well you just have to watch those movies.Only the beginning battle in Gladiator used re-enactors the other scenes just used stuntmen.The opening battlescene in
Germania was actually filmed in England (Kent).The woods were being removed so that is why they were allowed to burn them.
I could waffle on but you get the general picture.I ended up moving permanantly to the UK.One of the members nearly lost an eye and i had
had enough bashings to last me a lifetime.However it was great fun and i
would recommend it to all...but make/buy a decent helmet to protect your
head/face and gloves to protect your hands/fingers.

  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2332
Joined: Feb 20, 2006
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2017
Location: Shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:48 am 
 

ATOM wrote:Only the beginning battle in Gladiator used re-enactors the other scenes just used stuntmen.The opening battlescene in
Germania was actually filmed in England (Kent).The woods were being removed so that is why they were allowed to burn them.

I get the feeling you guys would have done it anyway . . .   :D

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 191
Joined: Mar 04, 2007
Last Visit: Jun 26, 2019

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:56 am 
 

Too right.It was funny really the part where the Amazonian warrior women
fought from the chariots required slim looking stuntmen to dress up as
women...he he! They just cut from the semi distant action shots of stuntmen in womens outfits to the real women in the close ups.In
all fairness im sure there is a lack of Amazonian stunt women who specialise in riding/crashing chariots....so ol Ridley Scott had to make do as best he could.

Also a lot of the battle advisers for the initial Germania scene(and a lot of the extras) were not entirely happy the way he shot the battle scene.
Ridley Scott is not really the type of man to take much advice on board,
he had his own ideas of how it should pan out.I personally thought it was
good but quite a lot of people did not like the way it panned out into a sort
of disjointed dream sequence...but he is a brilliant Movie Director for a
reason and everyone else was just the hired help.So in retrospect he did
a bloomin good job of it....and poor ol Russell Crowe nearly got skewered by a fibreglass Javelin.

And R.I.P Oliver Reed, a true old school bad boy if ever there was one.
Died doing what he loved best...Drinking and Acting!

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:45 pm 
 

bombadil wrote:
Now THERE's a collectable.  

I like that made it past inspectors bit, too.   :lol:

Yeah, that line would make more sense in the first paragraph, but I doubt AP was deliberately trying to be sarcastic.  (You'd hope the properly struck ones made it past inspectors, anyway.)

 YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:24 pm 
 

i see the canadian cricket team are off to a good start in the warmups to their cricket world cup campaign  :P

http://home.skysports.com/cwc/article.a ... world_cup&



  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 1665
Joined: Jul 01, 2006
Last Visit: Dec 03, 2021
Location: Moncton, NB Canada

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:37 pm 
 

8O
Cricket in Canada is pretty far down on the sports page when it appears at all.  :P

This time of year most people are watching the end of the NHL hockey season waiting for what seems like three months of play-offs.   :wink:

As far as priority goes with cricket, it falls somewhere just below pro league lacrosse.


Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:35 pm 
 

jasonw1239 wrote:8O
Cricket in Canada is pretty far down on the sports page when it appears at all.  :P

This time of year most people are watching the end of the NHL hockey season waiting for what seems like three months of play-offs.   :wink:

As far as priority goes with cricket, it falls somewhere just below pro league lacrosse.


prb a good job cos you lot are shite at it :)

but then your super duper ice hockey guys dont win the olympics either so you must be used to all the losing :)

Al



  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4505
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Dec 04, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:46 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:
prb a good job cos you lot are shite at it :)

but then your super duper ice hockey guys dont win the olympics either so you must be used to all the losing :)

Al


Ouch. :D

ShaneG.


I reject your reality and substitute my own

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:54 pm 
 

Plaag wrote:
Ouch. :D

ShaneG.


hehe hey get a dig in while i can cos england are crap too :)



  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 1665
Joined: Jul 01, 2006
Last Visit: Dec 03, 2021
Location: Moncton, NB Canada

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:30 pm 
 

The biggest problem when they put together an olympic team is taking "stars" that don't play together on a regular basis and expect them to perform as a team overnight.   :x

Canadian olympic hockey would be better served by sending our "regular" juniors team that spend much more time together and have some semblance of a regular team that can actually anticipate each others moves and plays.

Similar situation to how the USA olympic basketball teams are not always successful.


Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 760
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Last Visit: Oct 17, 2021
Location: Dallas, TX

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:46 pm 
 

This time of year most people are watching the end of the NHL hockey season waiting for what seems like three months of play-offs.


It is 3 months long! The hockey season spans like 10 months in total once you factor in preseason and the rest of it. The only months where there is nothing going on in hockeyland is July and August.. and even then, on all the sports shows or sports pages you'll get a minor league NHL trade get the headline over any kind of pennant race or major golf event. Having lived in Vancouver for many years, I can tell you the love for hockey up North is so overbearing it's sickening. Then Canadians have the gall.. the gall..  to say the MLB season is too long!! Amazing.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 339
Joined: Sep 09, 2006
Last Visit: Oct 03, 2021
Location: 8000 feet below the summit of Pikes Peak, Colorado

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:06 am 
 

jasonw1239 wrote:The biggest problem when they put together an olympic team is taking "stars" that don't play together on a regular basis and expect them to perform as a team overnight.   :x

Canadian olympic hockey would be better served by sending our "regular" juniors team that spend much more time together and have some semblance of a regular team that can actually anticipate each others moves and plays.

Similar situation to how the USA olympic basketball teams are not always successful.


Maybe what would help is to shorten the seasons during Olympic years by:
--> Playing all other teams in the league home-and-away once each;
(shorten seasons by 24 games in the NBA and about the same in the NHL);
--> If sending a team during the season (NHL), have the All-Star game as the last league function for a month leading up to the Games.
--> If playing out-of-season (NBA), make sure the finals end two months or so before opening ceremonies.
The last two would allow teams to get together, adjust for travel and time zones, train for some period of time together, and then play.
--> Eliminate one round of playoffs;
--> At least allow several days off after the Olympics to readjust.

I'm not saying this would work necessarily; it's just some thoughts I've had over the last few years.

  


Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 37
Joined: Feb 10, 2007
Last Visit: Oct 20, 2007
Location: Baltimore Suburbs

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:06 am 
 

What are all these other sports you speak of?  I recognize some of them as to be little things that hinder my enjoyment of God's Gift to Mankind, American Football.

GO RAVENS!!!!  Jamal, don't let the door hit you an the @$$ on the way out....although it probably will as you stand there tapdancing at the line.


"A war without fire is like sausages without mustard!"  Henry V of England.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:33 am 
 

Azhag2000 wrote:What are all these other sports you speak of?  I recognize some of them as to be little things that hinder my enjoyment of God's Gift to Mankind, American Football.

GO RAVENS!!!!  Jamal, don't let the door hit you an the @$$ on the way out....although it probably will as you stand there tapdancing at the line.


hmmm yes that again. football that is played with the hands....



  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 1665
Joined: Jul 01, 2006
Last Visit: Dec 03, 2021
Location: Moncton, NB Canada

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:56 am 
 

sleepyCO wrote:
Maybe what would help is to shorten the seasons during Olympic years by:
--> Playing all other teams in the league home-and-away once each;
(shorten seasons by 24 games in the NBA and about the same in the NHL);
--> If sending a team during the season (NHL), have the All-Star game as the last league function for a month leading up to the Games.
--> If playing out-of-season (NBA), make sure the finals end two months or so before opening ceremonies.
The last two would allow teams to get together, adjust for travel and time zones, train for some period of time together, and then play.
--> Eliminate one round of playoffs;
--> At least allow several days off after the Olympics to readjust.

I'm not saying this would work necessarily; it's just some thoughts I've had over the last few years.


I still think that professional league players entering the olympics circumvents that spirit of amateur play. For olympic hockey send the countries best junior team. For basketball send the winning team of the NCAA or in Canada CIS/SIC.


Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:10 am 
 

jasonw1239 wrote:
I still think that professional league players entering the olympics circumvents that spirit of amateur play. For olympic hockey send the countries best junior team. For basketball send the winning team of the NCAA or in Canada CIS/SIC.


totally agree with that. would seem the most sensible way of doing things, considering its meant to be "amateur" and not "professional".

things ppl do to try and win  :roll:

Al



  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 339
Joined: Sep 09, 2006
Last Visit: Oct 03, 2021
Location: 8000 feet below the summit of Pikes Peak, Colorado

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:25 am 
 

jasonw1239 wrote:
I still think that professional league players entering the olympics circumvents that spirit of amateur play. For olympic hockey send the countries best junior team. For basketball send the winning team of the NCAA or in Canada CIS/SIC.


Given how international the game has become, how would an amateur team choose replacements for its "foreign" players?

  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2332
Joined: Feb 20, 2006
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2017
Location: Shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:43 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:hehe hey get a dig in while i can cos england are crap too :)

Cricket?  Does Google have a language translator that will make sense of the article?

"The North Americans had got off to a flyer on a lively pitch, smashing Langford-Smith for 11 off the first over with both openers notching early boundaries."

Funny story for Americans:

I heard something on public radio a few months ago about two BBC sports announcers who once cracked themselves up laughing while they were on the air.  What they were laughing about had to be explained to us American listeners.  Mangling it horribly, a cricketeer was batting, and he lost his balance.  The announcers said that he was having a problem "getting a leg over" the wicket.  "Getting a leg over" is/was slang for getting laid.

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 13 of 111123 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 109110111