Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 109 of 111123 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:54 am 

Hey, Duke, any damage to the domicle?  I bet most people don't think of Nevada as an earthquake center, but apparantly it's the 3rd most seismically active state.

Mike B.

Quakes Take Toll on Residents of Reno
By MARTIN GRIFFITH,AP
Posted: 2008-04-27 20:18:22
Filed Under: Nation News, Natural Disaster, Science News
RENO, Nev. (April 26) - Dozens of minor earthquakes shook Reno on Sunday as a series of temblors entered its third month and prompted some frazzled residents to leave their homes.

Marilyn Newton, Gazette-Journal / AP Recent Earthquakes Rattle U.S.1 of 8     Keith Phillips checks the damage to his house in Mogul, Nev., Saturday morning. He said an earthquake that hit late Friday night literally lifted his house and slammed it back down, leaving cracks in his walls and ceiling. More than 150 aftershocks over the weekend have experts worried that a larger quake may be brewing.

More than 150 aftershocks have been recorded on the western edge of northern Nevada's largest city after a magnitude-4.7 quake hit Friday night, the strongest quake in a sequence that began Feb. 28. There were no reports of injuries or widespread damage.

Scientists have urged residents to prepare for worse, saying the recent activity is unusual because the quakes started out small and continue to build in strength.

After being awakened as many as four times a night by quakes, retiree Sandra Petty decided to spend nights 10 miles away at the Sparks home of her daughter, Stefanie McCaffrey.

"The quakes have sent her emotions and nerves into a tailspin," McCaffrey said Sunday. "She was exhausted, and she couldn't relax or unwind. She just needed to get away so she could have a good night's sleep."

Keith Phillips said he's going to live somewhere else, possibly with his children, until the activity settles down. He lives about a block from the epicenter of Friday night's quake, which cracked walls in his house and pushed one of his garages off its foundation.

"I grew up in the Bay Area and went through some major quakes down there," Phillips told the Reno Gazette-Journal. "Since we're right on top of the epicenter, I've never felt anything like this."

The strongest aftershock Sunday measured 3 and was recorded shortly before 11 a.m.

Three other quakes larger than magnitude 3 have struck areas scattered hundreds of miles apart across northern Nevada since Friday night's 4.7 quake in Reno.

The quakes around Reno began a week after a magnitude 6 one in the northern Nevada town of Wells, near the Utah border. The Feb. 21 quake has been followed by hundreds of aftershocks.

Scientists said they're unsure whether the seismic activity across the state, unusual for its basin-and-range topography, is related.

"Not enough is known about the faults and their history and what their role is," said Ken Smith of the seismological laboratory at the University of Nevada, Reno.

The Reno temblors have prompted a flood of calls from homeowners to insurers about quake insurance.

MetLife placed a 30-day moratorium on new coverage after a 4.2 quake jolted Reno on Thursday. Until then, the strongest quake in the sequence had been 3.6 on April 16.

Other insurers were expected to follow suit.

"It probably will be extended, unfortunately, because of the one (Friday) night," MetLife agent Charlotte Eckmeyer said, adding that quake coverage just about doubles premiums.

Nevada is the third most seismically active state in the nation behind California and Alaska. Reno's last major quake measured 6.1 on April 24, 1914.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:01 pm 

Badmike wrote:Hey, Duke, any damage to the domicle?  I bet most people don't think of Nevada as an earthquake center, but apparantly it's the 3rd most seismically active state.

Mike B.

It's that way because of all of the underground nuclear testing still going on out there.  Lying government bastards.  :wink:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:20 pm 

This reads like a newspaper excerpt from a Cthulhu Mythos story.  8O

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:51 pm 

Badmike wrote:Hey, Duke, any damage to the domicle?  I bet most people don't think of Nevada as an earthquake center, but apparantly it's the 3rd most seismically active state.

No, we're all good here. This series of quakes has been centered in an area we call Verdi-Mogul, which is about seven or 10 miles west of me, depending on your exact definition. The 4.7 on Friday night was a bit unnerving, but all we had was some books come tumbling down (from a bookshelf that was probably too full, anyway). And no gaming items have been damaged!  :)

Nevada is seismically active, but it's also very sparsely populated, so this is a fairly rare development: quakes that are being noticed by something other than scorpions and coyotes. The "experts" think the Reno area is due for a nice 6.0 or 7.0 within 10 or so years, though ...   8O

But, no, for now, we're all good. Thanks for asking.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:02 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:But, no, for now, we're all good. Thanks for asking.

That's exactly how any person possessed by a Cthulhu Mythos monstrosity would answer...  :D just to throw you off their trail.
(Glad to hear things are ok).

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:39 pm 

"Everything's perfectly all right now ... we're fine ... we're all fine here, now, thank you ... how are you?"

+++++

And on that note ... who thinks Foul is going to swoop in soon and cap this 99-page epic? I predict this thread will be retired before sunrise tomorrow ...

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:52 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:"Everything's perfectly all right now ... we're fine ... we're all fine here, now, thank you ... how are you?"

+++++

And on that note ... who thinks Foul is going to swoop in soon and cap this 99-page epic? I predict this thread will be retired before sunrise tomorrow ...

I agree.
Although I think it more amazing that Cougar Retard has garnered 85 pages plus as an E-Bay persona.....................

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:04 pm 

This has been the BEST THREAD EVER! :)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:05 pm 

No, not yet. It has to reach 100 pages.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:17 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:"Everything's perfectly all right now ... we're fine ... we're all fine here, now, thank you ... how are you?"

+++++

We on Reno Time for that prediction ;) because I'm sure beasterbrook would say otherwise.

ShaneG.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:20 pm 

Yeah, that's a good point. It's like Thursday afternoon in Australia, right? Or it's last Friday? I always get it confused.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:46 pm 

Who knows..I think its just a bunch of Cthulhu cultists on that side of Earth.  The Land Down Under - just speaks of some ocean raised demonic place.  Dingos eat babies there!

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:01 pm 

I wonder if this post will push it over to 100 pages?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:02 pm 

No?  Maybe this post will push the thread over to 100 pages!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

I probably shouldn't do this three times, but....

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

You've gone mad!

ShaneG.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:06 pm 

Madness is bliss. So is ignorance. Hmm. Ponder the relevance.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:10 pm 

This one will take it over 100 pages  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 109 of 111123 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110111