Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 106 of 111123 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 ... 109110111
Author

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5659
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: May 18, 2022
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:49 pm 
 

Ah, but a white male from an upper middle class family is a perfect candidate to receive NO attention from parents.


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 760
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Last Visit: May 18, 2022
Location: Dallas, TX

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:09 pm 
 

Thus...in the late 90's, the state with the highest per capita use of Ritalin was........Utah.  

This is counter-intuitive, but most things about ADHD are counter-intuitive.


It may have been for one year. For instance, in 2002 it had the 44th most per capita use among the 50 states. The year it ranked highly was probably anomalous, reflecting a high degree of % reporting, the state just newly allowing it (relative to other states), or something along those lines.

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 479
Joined: Nov 25, 2006
Last Visit: Apr 24, 2022

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:53 pm 
 

The textbook knowledge given seems to clash with the real life examples. As a father of two young children, I found both to be very disturbing. While I am completely against the ADHD / Ritalin duo, the posts here at least have shown us parents of young kids something to be wary of.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7968
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 24, 2022
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:07 pm 
 

brute wrote:The textbook knowledge given seems to clash with the real life examples. As a father of two young children, I found both to be very disturbing. While I am completely against the ADHD / Ritalin duo, the posts here at least have shown us parents of young kids something to be wary of.


It's like anything....YMMV.  There are no magic bullets or miracle cures in this world.  I've heard anecdotal stories of Ritalin working wonders on unteachable kids.  I've witnessed clueless school administrators trying to foist it on kids who clearly don't need it.  The best advice for a parent is to weigh all the options carefully, and keep a close relationship with your children.  The problems come when parents want drugs to do their parenting for them, and/or teachers don't want to get their hands dirty actually doing their job.  The solution seems to be having a active, open relationship in your child's life.

I will still go down saying Ritalin and drugs like it are terribly over prescribed, though.

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4522
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Jun 25, 2022
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:03 pm 
 

A web comic I read twice weekly 'Looking for Group', this latest page I had to mention: http://www.lfgcomic.com/page/137

ShaneG.


I reject your reality and substitute my own

 WWW  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2332
Joined: Feb 20, 2006
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2017
Location: Shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods

Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:25 pm 
 

FormCritic wrote:I'll drop it now.  :?

Hey, welcome back, or something!  Thanks for the informative post.

Way off-topic, but a local TV station came on with a Weather Alert.  The weatherman said something like "Don't worry; we aren't interrupting the program you are watching.  We are interrupting commercials.  Now about the tornado watches in the DFW area . . ."

Granted, they have the little "tornado watch" icon on the screen of the TV, but if it becomes a "tornado warning", I don't care if CSI:NY is interrupted by the weatherman.  I do care if my TV viewing pleasure is interrupted by my roof being torn off . . .

  


Verbose Collector

Posts: 1324
Joined: May 28, 2007
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2011
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:44 pm 
 

Looking for someone willing to do a bit of re-shipping for me.

There's an item I want to pick up on Amazon Marketplace, unfortunately the seller doesn't ship to Canada.

Wondering if there's anyone in the States who'd be willing to let me ship to them initially and then have them ship it on to me once it arrives.

Send me a PM if that's fine with you.

(I would, quite obviously, provide the cash to cover the shipping to my address.)

Edit: Thanks to Deadlord for offering to help me out!


"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:51 pm 
 

Plaag wrote:A web comic I read twice weekly 'Looking for Group', this latest page I had to mention: http://www.lfgcomic.com/page/137

ShaneG.


Thats just too funny...........  :lol:
OK not TOOO funny, just funny enough.  8)
I ended up going to the first page and read for a while.
I am saving that link for later.


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:56 am 
 

Gleemax update!

It's in alpha now! Woot!

And still, no one knows what the hell it's supposed to be about ... or supposed to accomplish ... or advertise ... or whatever. It looks more like a multi-author blog than anything else. What a mess.

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4752
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Jun 25, 2022
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:38 pm 
 

I feel very sorry for any Cincinnati Bengals fans:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8041490?MSNHPHMA

So if Chad Johnson doesnt get traded before the NFL draft and doesnt come to the June mini-camp and doesnt play for the Bengals, cant the team just sue his ass for breach of contract?  Dont pay the guy, dont trade him, just let him sit on his whiny, complaining ass for a year.

But I'm sure Jerry Jones will probably jump at the chance to add another worthless, self-absorbed, punk to the Cowboys' roster.  Although Terrell Owens doesnt seem to be as much of a troublemaker as he was in Philadelphia I still believe he will cause a major stink in the near future.  Tank Johnson is a disaster waiting to happen.  And God be with us if "Pacman" Jones ever becomes a Cowboy.  8O


You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4522
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Jun 25, 2022
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:17 pm 
 

Cowboys the new Raiders???

ShaneG.


I reject your reality and substitute my own

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7968
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 24, 2022
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:42 pm 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I feel very sorry for any Cincinnati Bengals fans:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8041490?MSNHPHMA

So if Chad Johnson doesnt get traded before the NFL draft and doesnt come to the June mini-camp and doesnt play for the Bengals, cant the team just sue his ass for breach of contract?  Dont pay the guy, dont trade him, just let him sit on his whiny, complaining ass for a year.

But I'm sure Jerry Jones will probably jump at the chance to add another worthless, self-absorbed, punk to the Cowboys' roster.  Although Terrell Owens doesnt seem to be as much of a troublemaker as he was in Philadelphia I still believe he will cause a major stink in the near future.  Tank Johnson is a disaster waiting to happen.  And God be with us if "Pacman" Jones ever becomes a Cowboy.  8O


#1, this team of worthless human beings known as the Bengals should have been broken up long before, about the time they were all in a revolving jail door.  Management's problem by letting such a group of criminals operate without trading them off or cutting them long ago.

So far TO has been a model player and is still one of the top five WRs in the league. From what's come out of Philly last year I'm about ready to believe McNabb might have been as much of the problem as TO was there. As for Pacman, I'd love to have the guy, he's one of the top cover corners in the league, and he's operating pretty much on his last strike...another "make it rain" episode and he'll probably never play football again.  Likewise Tank Johnson.

One good thing about the NFL (from an owner's perspective) is the lack of guaranteed contracts.  Guys like Tank or Pacman can be signed with very little risk....if they screw up, you cut them and take the bang against your salary cap, but you don't owe the punks a cent more than the signing bonus.  So the risk for signing guys like this is minimal, while the upside is tremendous.  Especially for guys operating with a very thin margin of error...even if they are too stupid to realize one more screw up will stop the gravy train, their agents are smart enough to pound into them that they are basically going to have to fall back on their "college degrees" (giggle) if they mess up again.  Seems to be a powerful motivator in most cases.

As for Chad Johnson, the only problem with him is that you get a very talented head case with a large salary figure.  Unlike Pacman, for example, Chad isn't on his last gasp and will command a high contract with a giant up front bonus.  I'd personally stay away from him and hope Terry Glenn comes back healthy, Crayton is a little better, and maybe you can pick up a good WR with one of your two first round picks.  Unfortunately there would not be enough balls to go around with both TO and Ocho out there, IMO, and someone's feelings would get hurt....

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:05 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:
#1, this team of worthless human beings known as the Bengals should have been broken up long before, about the time they were all in a revolving jail door.  Management's problem by letting such a group of criminals operate without trading them off or cutting them long ago.

So far TO has been a model player and is still one of the top five WRs in the league. From what's come out of Philly last year I'm about ready to believe McNabb might have been as much of the problem as TO was there. As for Pacman, I'd love to have the guy, he's one of the top cover corners in the league, and he's operating pretty much on his last strike...another "make it rain" episode and he'll probably never play football again.  Likewise Tank Johnson.

One good thing about the NFL (from an owner's perspective) is the lack of guaranteed contracts.  Guys like Tank or Pacman can be signed with very little risk....if they screw up, you cut them and take the bang against your salary cap, but you don't owe the punks a cent more than the signing bonus.  So the risk for signing guys like this is minimal, while the upside is tremendous.  Especially for guys operating with a very thin margin of error...even if they are too stupid to realize one more screw up will stop the gravy train, their agents are smart enough to pound into them that they are basically going to have to fall back on their "college degrees" (giggle) if they mess up again.  Seems to be a powerful motivator in most cases.

As for Chad Johnson, the only problem with him is that you get a very talented head case with a large salary figure.  Unlike Pacman, for example, Chad isn't on his last gasp and will command a high contract with a giant up front bonus.  I'd personally stay away from him and hope Terry Glenn comes back healthy, Crayton is a little better, and maybe you can pick up a good WR with one of your two first round picks.  Unfortunately there would not be enough balls to go around with both TO and Ocho out there, IMO, and someone's feelings would get hurt....

Mike B.


You're waiting for Terry Glenn to come back?  That's a plan to get to the Super Bowl?

Cowboys the new Raiders?  Since when did the Raiders stop being the Raiders?  OH...when they stopped winning.

I loved Tony Romo last year...got him in the 6th round for my fantasy team and only cruel ironies kept us from winning Monster Bowl VII...but the Cowboys need to shop for his replacement sooner rather than later.

Problem with Chad Johnson is that a quarterback can usually only pass to one receiver per play.  Witten, Owens, Johnson and the rest of the receiving corps?  Something would have to give...and either superstar who had to give would burst into tears.

I am wondering if the Cowboys will really become the last refuge for the new NFL commissioner's no tolerance policy.  Maybe if they really really know that this is the end....?  If I were Jones, I'd do it.  Not if I were Landry...but if I were Jones?  Yes.

If you're going to have a no tolerance policy, why not really do something significant and eject players who fight?  Throwing punches, pushing and shoving after a play and especially barking trashtalk ought to get the offending players thrown out.  Toss them out for the current game and the next game, whenever that is.  That would go along way toward reforming the NFL's image.  When a team loses because of criminal actions on the field the criminals will no longer be on the field.

The Cowboys set team winning records during the season and drop a tight playoff game to the eventual Super Bowl champions...and Wade Phillips is now "on the bubble?"  Is that in any way reasonable?

Go figure, aye?


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 526
Joined: Oct 26, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 29, 2022

Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:18 am 
 

"...#1, this team of worthless human beings known as the Bengals should have been broken up long before, about the time they were all in a revolving jail door.  Management's problem by letting such a group of criminals operate without trading them off or cutting them long ago. "

Uhh...You do realize, Badmike, that you just described more than one Cowboy player with this statement.  And the reason Cowboy management didn't cut anybody is because the owner breaks all the rules himself.  

A Dallas fan complaining about scofflaw players?  You do recognize the irony, yes?   :P

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7968
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 24, 2022
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:46 am 
 

Agent Cooper wrote:"...#1, this team of worthless human beings known as the Bengals should have been broken up long before, about the time they were all in a revolving jail door.  Management's problem by letting such a group of criminals operate without trading them off or cutting them long ago. "

Uhh...You do realize, Badmike, that you just described more than one Cowboy player with this statement.  And the reason Cowboy management didn't cut anybody is because the owner breaks all the rules himself.  

A Dallas fan complaining about scofflaw players?  You do recognize the irony, yes?   :P



Which current Cowboys players are scofflaws???  You realize NINE Bengals players were arrested in the last year.  Honestly, I would be surprised if the list of Cowboys criminal players goes one quarter that deep, and I bet they are at the bottom third in the NFL for "problem" players. Parcells got rid of most of those guys (See: Quincy Carter).  

And as for past players, what they do after leaving the Cowboys isn't Cowboys business (See: Nate Newton, Mike Irvin).  The only recent one I can remember is Dwayne Goodrich, who killed two people in 2002 in a hit and run accident.  He was immediately booted off the team after the incident and before he even went to trial. He's now in jail for god knows how long.   Tank Johnson?  He didn't beat, rape, or kill anyone. He had too many guns...hell, that gives him CRED when he comes to play in Texas... :wink:

The "Crackboys" comments are at least a decade out of date, and I just smile when they are made, because approximately 100+ other active NFL players have gone to jail for murder and worse in the past decade.  The Cowboys actually run one of the cleanest NFL franchises out there....if you don't believe me, check out lists of NFL criminals posted online.  I think the Cowboys might be the only NFL team without a convicted wife beater...... :roll: Hell, Leonard Little actually killed someone and he's still playing for the Rams (even after getting ANOTHER DWI after killing someone while drunk).

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:42 am 
 

Murder....and worse?   :D

What did they do...play for the eagles?


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5659
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: May 18, 2022
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:15 pm 
 

Meh, the Bungles are a joke. No one takes them seriously.


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 526
Joined: Oct 26, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 29, 2022

Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:37 pm 
 

FormCritic wrote:Murder....and worse?   :D

What did they do...play for the eagles?



LOL!   :D   :D

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 106 of 111123 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 ... 109110111