Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 105 of 111123 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:29 am 

Badmike wrote:And my friend is/was a Gaian (sp?).  I guess you can't get more "fundamentalist" than that!

A Gaian, not a Rheaite? Infidel!!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:06 am 

deimos3428 wrote:Please, my pet pig could solve that one for x!  Mind you, he only spoke French.  

(NB:  The following joke only works with a rudimentary understanding of numerals in French.)

A lemur farmer had a pig that he claimed could solve mathematical questions.  When his friends expressed disbelief, he demonstrated.

Lemur Farmer: Pig, what is three times three?
Pig continues to eat slop, but mutters the correct result several times:  "Nuff nuff nuff nuff".
Lemur Farmer: Pig, what is eleven minus two?
Pig continues to eat slop, but mutters the correct result yet again:  "Nuff nuff nuff nuff".
Lemur's Unimpressed Friends:  Oh come on, the answer is always nine.  Pigs just make sounds like that.  It doesn't know math.
Lemur Farmer:  Fine.  I'll prove it.  Pig, what is two times four?
(Lemur then gives the Pig a sharp kick!)
Pig: Runs off squealing the correct answer: "Weet! Weet! Weet!".

:thumleft:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:53 pm 

Customer service.  It's an important aspect of selling anything.

It means keeping your cool and at least appearing to be reasonable sounding when your actions might affect the actions of other potential customers vis-a-vis your business.

Then, on the other hand, there's this:

Item was advertised as complete. Item was not complete. No refund offered.        Buyer: quire88 (125)        Mar-28-08 08:19
   *      Reply by nmilton1 (Mar-30-08 13:18 ):
     I give refunds, but not to demanding Losers! I guess you can't please everyone!!

I was already uncertain of the guy due to his use of stock photos (including ones with Amazon overlays still on them), but yikes!  I have no idea what happened there and whether a refund was offered, but yikes (again)! 8O

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:14 pm 

DAMN!! I was bidding on and winning items tonight on ebay, well all was fine when I hit the place bid button on the last item was bidding on, I got sent to the sign in page. AAARRGH!! The 24 hour sign in thing. Damn again. LOL.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:59 am 

Hi, Guys:

I wrote a long post about ADHD, Ritalin and psycho-stimulants.  

Then, I deleted it as needlessly pedantic.

As a special education teacher, the best advice I can give you about ADHD is not to take amateur advice....including mine.  Don't take my word for it....

Instead, get the advice of licensed physicians.  Follow their advice.

(For instance, I would never have presumed to diagnose ADHD based upon my teaching credentials...and I certainly would never have put such a diagnosis in writing...an impossibly stupid thing to do.  I would have gently and tactfully referred child and parents to the school psychologist.)

Two personal opinions from an amateur (me) that you can take or leave as you see fit:

1)  It is ironic that this discussion strand includes people heaping scorn upon the Wisconsin parents who would not seek proper medical treatment for their daughter's diabetes because of the parents' pig-headed opinions.  Think that over....chew on it a bit......

It seems equally strange to speculate that a group of children involved in criminal activities might be suffering from ADHD....and then blame their treatment for the criminal behavior.

2)  When consulting physicians, it is still good to be skeptical.  Cross-check the advice of different physicians...particularly if one of them tells you ADHD either does not exist or that it can be treated by quack medicine involving vitamins or colored glasses.  

One fact to consider:

Ritalin is a psycho-stimulant.  It does not "dope" a child.  Psycho-stimulants increase brain activity.

This is counter-intuitive, but it is also true.

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:57 am 

FormCritic wrote:Hi, Guys:

I wrote a long post about ADHD, Ritalin and psycho-stimulants.  

Then, I deleted it as needlessly pedantic.

As a special education teacher, the best advice I can give you about ADHD is not to take amateur advice....including mine.  Don't take my word for it....

Instead, get the advice of licensed physicians.  Follow their advice.

(For instance, I would never have presumed to diagnose ADHD based upon my teaching credentials...and I certainly would never have put such a diagnosis in writing...an impossibly stupid thing to do.  I would have gently and tactfully referred child and parents to the school psychologist.)

I would say the best advice is from a personal physician or personal psychologist, not one hired by the school.  It eliminates any conflict of interest there.  Mark, as a teacher yourself, you know that the goal of many teachers (like any other job out there) is merely to get through the day. If a kid or two learns something, fine, but a lot of teachers (once again, as in any profession), are there to collect a paycheck. Often those are the ones that use would enjoy a classroom full of zombified, obediant children at the cost of perhaps having a couple kids disrupting the class.   I know personally of a couple of school administrators that would be over joyed to rule over a school full of these type of students, as it would make their day of doing very little much more enjoyable.  

My wife and I were often on the receiving end of advice from teachers and school administrators about how to control our high spirited daughter, and their suggestions contained a lot of amateur medical advice....to which we would inform them that's what medical school was for, and they needed to get a degree or get out of the business of giving medical suggestions.

Two personal opinions from an amateur (me) that you can take or leave as you see fit:

1)  It is ironic that this discussion strand includes people heaping scorn upon the Wisconsin parents who would not seek proper medical treatment for their daughter's diabetes because of the parents' pig-headed opinions.  Think that over....chew on it a bit......

If I stopped taking my insulin, I would be dead in a couple of weeks; if I don't give my child Ritalin, there is a very good chance he grows up completely fine and productive.  There is a huge difference between life altering medicines and mood altering ones.  By ANY sane stretch, my middle brother in the 70's was ADD (only they called it hyperactive back then). He had every single ADD signpost, and we often laugh that if Ritalin had been as heavily prescribed back then, he would have been on it, but GOOD.  He somehow got through without it though.

It seems equally strange to speculate that a group of children involved in criminal activities might be suffering from ADHD....and then blame their treatment for the criminal behavior.

It's actually not entirely odd.  Many times, the treatment is worse than the disease.  I'll pull back the curtain a little, my youngest brother suffered through mild depression in his last few years of high school (due to many different factors). After several consults with respected psychiatrists and therapists, he was put on some mood altering medicine (lithium and something else) that was there to "perk him up".  After several months, he told us years later, the medicine made him much, MUCH worse, to the point he was seriously considering suicide (whereas before he had just been mildly depressed).  He found out later that many patients on this anti-depressant had instead killed themselves (?).  On his own, my brother stopped taking the medicine, and almost immediately got better...the suicidal thoughts disappeared completely, and eventually he got rid of his depression (or at least controlled it) by going to group therapy instead of taking drugs....a course that worked for him much better than the supposed "anti depressant" drugs he was taking.

2)  When consulting physicians, it is still good to be skeptical.  Cross-check the advice of different physicians...particularly if one of them tells you ADHD either does not exist or that it can be treated by quack medicine involving vitamins or colored glasses.  

I think a lot of the problems come from the "one size fits all" type of society we live in.  We place labels on everything to understand it better: Liberal, conservative, Yankees fan, enviormentalist, Republican, Democrat, etc.  Thus, we expect the same result from, say, Ritalin given to a wide cross section of kids, some of which might not need it. This is totally amateur speculation here, but I'm sure Ritalin works for some kids (just as anti depressant medicine saves some people's lives). The problem seems to be that a teacher has an unruly, disruptive kid, that kid is prescribed Ritalin, and becomes a model student.  "Wow", the teacher thinks, "What if Billy, John and Betty ALSO were able to become model students?  They are sometimes disruptive, unruly, and interrupt the class with their antics?".  So the next parent teacher conference, they suggest to the parents their kid acts exactly like another kid in the class, who had ADHD, and now that kid is a model student because they are on Ritalin, maybe they need to look into that?  

I totally respect your work, Mark, which is why I was interested in hearing your opinion. My aunt was (is still) a special education teacher for 40 years....in the Rio Grande Valley where many kids are poor, hispanic and transient and their parents don't often get the medical help necessary for them to function in society. I'll have to ask her the next time I see her how many of the kids are/were on drugs like Ritalin and did they help.  I know she's loved her job for all those years even though it seems to me like she's worked twice as hard as any teacher I've ever had or known.

One fact to consider:

Ritalin is a psycho-stimulant.  It does not "dope" a child.  Psycho-stimulants increase brain activity.

This is counter-intuitive, but it is also true.

Oddly enough though, lots of those on Ritalin tell of muddled thinking, emotionless behavior, and feel sometimes as if a "curtain" has been raised between them and the real world. Many that are doing well in school because of such drugs still end up dropping them because they report being "dead" to the world and wanting to "feel" again.  A lot of the kids that lived with us told us this in almost the exact words I used. One girl said it was if a different person was in her body doing things each day...which would personally creep me the hell out.  I think it's interesting how many of the girls that came to live with us started doing better in school, and in their behavior, simply because of personal attention that was paid to them by my wife and I. In all cases their home life was awful; Ritalin seemed (to us) just a convenient one size fits all fix it up for a lot of the single moms and dads raising them, when just a little caring and personal attention would have brought the same result.  Instead of helping the kid, give her a drug and she'll get better seemed to be their mantra.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:29 am 

Funny how kids got along for tens of thousands of years without Ritalin. In fact, I do not recall hearing of ADHD before Ritalin came out. Quite a coincidence. Lucky for us they produced a drug to treat this epidemic of inattentive kids. How thoughtful!
Baa-a-a-a-a-aaaaaaa!!!

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:43 pm 

ADD is complete and utter crap.  Never existed until the pharm companies invented a drug for it.  Like most drugs today, it was a solution looking for a problem, so they invented one.  Now they write spiff checks to doctors for every scrip of Ritalin they can write.  So every kid that crosses the office threshold has ADD.  And every adult is depressed about it, and needs a pill for that.  Cuz that's another bonus check---CHA CHING!

It's also a nice little excuse for every parent and teacher in the western hemisphere who doesn't actually have the slightest clue how to relate to, discipline or work with children.  As in -- I can't deal with you, and it can't POSSIBLY be MY lack of parenting/teahing skills, so something must be wrong with YOU!  Here take this tranquilizer while I go watch TV.

Best and most accurate depiction of how to deal with ADD was the South Park ep concerning this.  Absolutely hilarious and dead on.

Kids are high spirited and have no attention span......................BECAUSE THEY ARE KIDS, for the LOVE OF PETE!!

Was that a pedantic enuff rant???  
:twisted:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:22 pm 

Agent Cooper wrote:ADD is complete and utter crap.  Never existed until the pharm companies invented a drug for it.  Like most drugs today, it was a solution looking for a problem, so they invented one.  Now they write spiff checks to doctors for every scrip of Ritalin they can write.  So every kid that crosses the office threshold has ADD.  And every adult is depressed about it, and needs a pill for that.  Cuz that's another bonus check---CHA CHING!

It's also a nice little excuse for every parent and teacher in the western hemisphere who doesn't actually have the slightest clue how to relate to, discipline or work with children.  As in -- I can't deal with you, and it can't POSSIBLY be MY lack of parenting/teahing skills, so something must be wrong with YOU!  Here take this tranquilizer while I go watch TV.

Best and most accurate depiction of how to deal with ADD was the South Park ep concerning this.  Absolutely hilarious and dead on.

Kids are high spirited and have no attention span......................BECAUSE THEY ARE KIDS, for the LOVE OF PETE!!

Was that a pedantic enuff rant???  
:twisted:

The saddest story was one girl who came to live with us awhile. Her mom was a drug dealer (used to measure out the pot baggies on the kitchen table) and user.  She would be gone from home for days at a time, leaving the young girl to fend for herself (no father, no other siblings).  Her mom often forgot to lend her money for food. Despite this, she was a cheerleader (the extra time at practice and at games took her mind off her home life) and made relatively good grades in school (she had to maintan a B average to stay on the cheerleading team), which was remarkable.

Of course, she would often clash with her mom, and the fights would get violent (lots of screaming and throwing things, often on the mom's part as she would be coming down off a high).  During these times the girl would often come and stay with us for weeks at a time.

The sick part was this mother of the year candidate actually went to the school where her daughter was and told the teacher and principal there what suggestions they had to deal with her "unruly" daughter with "behavioral" problems (you know, like being upset her mom was a drug addict whore).  They unanamously agreed the girl was ADHD (with all the doctoring skill they had at hand  :roll: ) and got the school nurse to sign on, (without even a observation).  They went as far to say the girl wouldn't be allowed back in school unless she could prove she was on some kind of mood altering medication, since she MIGHT disturb the class.  My wife and I could only guess that the drug mommy had read somewhere that kids on Ritalin were more obediant and pliable and thought giving it to her daughter would shut her up; the school administration was only too happy to agree and help her out.

Problem was, the girl WASNT ADHD, not by a long shot, a fact a physician told the mother to her chagrin. The principal was firm; find a doctor that agreed with his diagnosis and drug the kid up, or she wasn't coming back to school.  At this point my wife and I had had QUITE ENOUGH.  We went up to school with the girl, and had a conference with the fat assed bueracratic asshole called the principal, who looked like he never missed a meal..or a pick me up at the candy machine....he weighed about 400 lbs (I'm sorry to be picking on fat people here, but shouldn't school officials be some sort of example to kids when obesity is running rampant among young people?)  We very calmly and cooly explained the situation with her mother (which supposedly shocked him, but anyone not realizing this drugged up bitch wasn't on dope was a clueless MF'er) and then let him know we weren't typical low income or white trash parents that he had dealt with many times before and we would hammer his ass into the dirt if he contined giving unsolicited medical advice, starting with visits to the district and above if necessary.  By the time we left the quivering mass of flab agreed with us totally and "rescinded" his demand the girl be put on Ritalin to be allowed back into school. Just another example of our public school system in action  :roll:

As far as I know the girl turned out ok...eventually her mom went to some kind of drug rehab and got relatively cleaned out, and the girl went back home, and from what I know everything is cool now (this was several years ago).  Hell, this isn't even the worst example I have...there's the time my daughter was attacked by a boy on the bus home...and the boy turned out to be on various mood altering drugs including Ritalin (too long a story for here unless someone wants to hear another long diatribe about our public schools in action).  

I'll state again that I think someone out there benefits from it...but it is IMO far, far too often over prescribed, and can cause problems in itself.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:30 pm 

My experience is limited to the professionals I work with.

I guess I have no idea how teachers and other school professionals act in other regions.

Ritalin is supposed to have a calming effect on people with ADHD.  

The basic theory behind the use of psycho-stimulants is that the symptoms of ADHD are a result of low brain activity.  Because their brains are less active, they have less ability to concentrate and are easily bored without more intense stimuli.  Increasing brain activity is intended to give the patient increased abilty to concentrate during less stimulating activities...such as work or school.

(This is why, for instance, a child with ADHD might play a video game all day but not be able to pay attention in class for even five minutes.  The same child might be supremely gifted at concentration while the male parent is standing over him...since the threat of imminent consequences is a form of increased stimulus.)

Increased brain activity has the effect of reducing hyperactivity and impulsivity (the main ADHD symptons).

When a physician's advice is followed, psycho-stimulants are successful in treading ADHD 80% of the time.  The other 20% presumably have symptoms which derive from other causes, including parenting, environmental concerns or other disabilities.

The most common reason for the failure of psycho-stimulant treatment is failure to follow a physician's advice.  Families often sabotage ADHD treatment because of ordinary negligence (the parents are often suffering from ADHD as well) or out of a sense of guilt over having to "drug" their child, or a hostile attitude to mental health treatment.  Concerns over real or perceived side effects are also a major issue.

Most often, the side effects of psycho-stimulants are an indication of problems with dosage, the need to acclimate to the drug or the search for the most effective drug.  These are indications of the need for more treatment, not less.  Families often choose to abandon therapy without taking steps to overcome initial complaints, concluding that psycho-stimulants don't work.

In a number of studies involving psycho-stimulants, parents have chosen to withdraw their children from the studies because of severe side effects.  Often, the parents who reported the most severe side effects were the ones whose children were receiving a placebo.  In a study in Sweden, for instance, the rate of severe side effects among placebo users was something like 70%.

ADHD has likely always been with us.  Everyone can think of a kid in school who displayed the symptoms.  

Diagnosis of ADHD is consistent worldwide across cultures, nationalities, races and geography.  Doctors on all continents report similar symptoms and a consistent rate of diagnosis of 3.5% of the population.

Among adults, ADHD symptoms are often concurrent with other problem behaviors such as alcoholism, drug addiction, extramarital affairs, crime and other undesired behaviors.

Although research continues, recent vertical studies have tended to indicate that patients who receive long-term treatment using psycho-stimulants make striking progress.  The theory is that the use of the drug allows the development of new pathways in the brain that aid in self control.  (In short...the drug trains the brain to operate at a higher level.)

Specifically within the United States, ADHD is diagnosed at a 9 to 1 rate in boys as compared to girls.  This may be the result of less intense manifestation of symptoms in girls.  (They act out in different ways.)

Also, African Americans are significantly less likely to be diagnosed with ADHD....possibly as a result of cultural expectations and possibly because ADHD tends to be masked by other social or health problems within that group.

Although there are many exceptions to the rule...and the rates of diagnosis are changing...in the United States the typical ADHD patient is a white male from an upper middle class family.  (Possibly because this is the group most likely to seek medical diagnosis for a mental health problem.  They are also the most likely to perceive the possible long-term negative consequences of failure to get treatment as early as possible.)

Thus...in the late 90's, the state with the highest per capita use of Ritalin was........Utah.  

This is counter-intuitive, but most things about ADHD are counter-intuitive.

I'll drop it now.  :?

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:49 pm 

Ah, but a white male from an upper middle class family is a perfect candidate to receive NO attention from parents.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:09 pm 

Thus...in the late 90's, the state with the highest per capita use of Ritalin was........Utah.  

This is counter-intuitive, but most things about ADHD are counter-intuitive.

It may have been for one year. For instance, in 2002 it had the 44th most per capita use among the 50 states. The year it ranked highly was probably anomalous, reflecting a high degree of % reporting, the state just newly allowing it (relative to other states), or something along those lines.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:53 pm 

The textbook knowledge given seems to clash with the real life examples. As a father of two young children, I found both to be very disturbing. While I am completely against the ADHD / Ritalin duo, the posts here at least have shown us parents of young kids something to be wary of.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:07 pm 

brute wrote:The textbook knowledge given seems to clash with the real life examples. As a father of two young children, I found both to be very disturbing. While I am completely against the ADHD / Ritalin duo, the posts here at least have shown us parents of young kids something to be wary of.

It's like anything....YMMV.  There are no magic bullets or miracle cures in this world.  I've heard anecdotal stories of Ritalin working wonders on unteachable kids.  I've witnessed clueless school administrators trying to foist it on kids who clearly don't need it.  The best advice for a parent is to weigh all the options carefully, and keep a close relationship with your children.  The problems come when parents want drugs to do their parenting for them, and/or teachers don't want to get their hands dirty actually doing their job.  The solution seems to be having a active, open relationship in your child's life.

I will still go down saying Ritalin and drugs like it are terribly over prescribed, though.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:03 pm 

A web comic I read twice weekly 'Looking for Group', this latest page I had to mention: http://www.lfgcomic.com/page/137

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:25 pm 

FormCritic wrote:I'll drop it now.  :?

Hey, welcome back, or something!  Thanks for the informative post.

Way off-topic, but a local TV station came on with a Weather Alert.  The weatherman said something like "Don't worry; we aren't interrupting the program you are watching.  We are interrupting commercials.  Now about the tornado watches in the DFW area . . ."

Granted, they have the little "tornado watch" icon on the screen of the TV, but if it becomes a "tornado warning", I don't care if CSI:NY is interrupted by the weatherman.  I do care if my TV viewing pleasure is interrupted by my roof being torn off . . .

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:44 pm 

Looking for someone willing to do a bit of re-shipping for me.

There's an item I want to pick up on Amazon Marketplace, unfortunately the seller doesn't ship to Canada.

Wondering if there's anyone in the States who'd be willing to let me ship to them initially and then have them ship it on to me once it arrives.

Send me a PM if that's fine with you.

(I would, quite obviously, provide the cash to cover the shipping to my address.)

Edit: Thanks to Deadlord for offering to help me out!

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:51 pm 

Plaag wrote:A web comic I read twice weekly 'Looking for Group', this latest page I had to mention: http://www.lfgcomic.com/page/137

ShaneG.

Thats just too funny...........  :lol:
OK not TOOO funny, just funny enough.  8)
I ended up going to the first page and read for a while.
I am saving that link for later.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 105 of 111123 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 109110111