Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 101 of 111123 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:47 am 

i think the deal was fair in the end too.

and in the end, sheesh even after fees, a tad less than $3 million is STILL a damn lot of cash, and i dont care what anyone says!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:15 pm 

Al...I didnt know you were in Latvia this week.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23258978/?GT1=10856

Nice of them to let you use a computer while you are in your cell.

:mrgreen:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:05 pm 

The big music sale looks like a fraud to me. Why would a buyer who can drop 3 million on a music collection need to be trolling eBay for $6 memory cards?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0204810354

If you've got millions, wouldn't you just send one of "your people" down to Best Buy to pick up, like, 50 of these things at once?

I think the saga of this music collection is just beginning. I don't believe for a second that that "buyer" is anything except a guy who was egged on by his mates last night to put in a bid for the hell of it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:56 pm 

The big music sale looks like a fraud to me. Why would a buyer who can drop 3 million on a music collection need to be trolling eBay for $6 memory cards?

** expired/removed eBay auction **

If you've got millions, wouldn't you just send one of "your people" down to Best Buy to pick up, like, 50 of these things at once?

I think you answered your own question. I would think he/she doesn't even buy anything, but rather has handlers that do all of that for him/her. I suspect the bid wasn't even entered by the person holding the money, but rather their assistant who was authorized to do so, just like they did for these smaller purchases.

Also, what are the penalties for non-compliance to a bid of this magnitude? Simple loss of one's account?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:15 pm 

No, that misses the point. I'm saying that a literal millionaire wouldn't be shopping for memory cards on eBay in the first place. eBay is a completely inefficient way to purchase common items, especially if money is no object. In theory, this isn't a guy looking to save a couple of bucks on a common item found in every Best Buy, Circuit City, or CompUSA in the country.

Bottom line: it doesn't add up at all. People who drop $3 million on warehouses of music do not also buy single memory cards. I'll be stunned beyond description if that bid turns out to be legitimate.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:51 am 

The counter on the main forum page is sitting at 99923!

Should kick over to the 100,000 by sometime tomorrow!

The forum couldn't have done it without you Al!  :D

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:55 am 

How long would you guys think two comic books would take to get to NY from CA?  I'm having trouble with a purchase I made on Amazon.  

I'm thinking you could stuff them in a padded envelope and they'd arrive in what, a week maybe 10 days?  Am I right?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:24 am 

Agent Cooper wrote:How long would you guys think two comic books would take to get to NY from CA?  I'm having trouble with a purchase I made on Amazon.  

I'm thinking you could stuff them in a padded envelope and they'd arrive in what, a week maybe 10 days?  Am I right?

seriously doubt it would take long. if you can do Airmail from UK>US in like 5-10 working days, there cant be a possiblity it would take longer than that could there?

noooo :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:25 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:The counter on the main forum page is sitting at 99923!

well my posts are only a fraction of the whole. i am like a figurehead really...there to be seen, but i no feckin use to anything :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:40 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
well my posts are only a fraction of the whole. i am like a figurehead really...there to be seen, but i no feckin use to anything :)

Al

Al, you have roughly 7% of all the posts ever made on this forum, which means for 100 posts on this forum you have made 7 of them. Take that in conjunction with the fact that we have 1106 users currently.

Think about it.  :P  :lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:53 am 

he says, only a small portion of posts behind me :D

well i like to think i contribute SOME time...not much mind.

i look at it like this...i write so much rubbish, that when someone comes along and write something semi-ok, it looks REALLY cool :D

the things i do for my fellow-folk :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:56 am 

killjoy32 wrote:he says, only a small portion of posts behind me :D

Well if wasnt obvious, I like to argue.... a lot.  :oops:  :lol:  I am Irish what can I say. Drink, fight and eat lots of potatoes.  :D

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:58 am 

bclarkie wrote:
Well if wasnt obvious, I like to argue.... a lot.  :oops:  :lol:  I am Irish what can I say. Drink, fight and eat lots of potatoes.  :D

well someone has to do it and i would get bored if you didnt.

you havent argued this week, so you better roll a D100 and pick out someone mate :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:10 pm 

Does anybody ever purchase books from the Target online store?
They don't ship to Canada and they have something in stock that I would love to get my hands on for a Call of Cthulu reference.

http://tinyurl.com/2mztr5

It is a facsimile copy of the 1898 Baedeker's Egypt: Handbook for Travellers.

I looked at buying it direct from the printers website but their selling price is about $10 higher with a listed price of almost $30 to ship to Canada.  8O

What I am hoping is that some kind member here might be willing to buy this from Target on my behalf and ship it to me when they receive it. Even factoring in some profit for yourself would probably still bring the total in less than what I would have to pay for buying it from the publisher. I'll even pay up front if you wish. :-)

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:25 pm 

Fantasy Flight Games inks major deal with Games Workshop:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/PDF/p ... rtooth.pdf

Discuss.

+++++

Man, FFG is really going for it in 2008/2009: recent announcements include Cosmic Encounter, Dune, Borderlands, a Conan boardgame, a Battlestar Galactica boardgame, and now a huge deal for some of the most famous properties in gaming.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:41 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Fantasy Flight Games inks major deal with Games Workshop:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/PDF/p ... rtooth.pdf

Discuss.

+++++

Man, FFG is really going for it in 2008/2009: recent announcements include Cosmic Encounter, Dune, Borderlands, a Conan boardgame, a Battlestar Galactica boardgame, and now a huge deal for some of the most famous properties in gaming.

Interesting..I've picked up the Grimm book (hasn't shipped to me yet). Don't care to much for the board games but Dune sounds interesting not to mention Warhammer.  Only thing I don't like about GW is they don't let any site display their product images.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:47 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:Does anybody ever purchase books from the Target online store?
They don't ship to Canada and they have something in stock that I would love to get my hands on for a Call of Cthulu reference.

http://tinyurl.com/2mztr5

It is a facsimile copy of the 1898 Baedeker's Egypt: Handbook for Travellers.

I looked at buying it direct from the printers website but their selling price is about $10 higher with a listed price of almost $30 to ship to Canada.  8O

What I am hoping is that some kind member here might be willing to buy this from Target on my behalf and ship it to me when they receive it. Even factoring in some profit for yourself would probably still bring the total in less than what I would have to pay for buying it from the publisher. I'll even pay up front if you wish. :-)

Well going through Amazon it would be no problem, and seems I can get it without going through the Target portion - have you tried seeing if Amazon.ca has it listed?  If not I can get this for you, may even be able to ship it to you direct without having to have it sent to me, not sure though if I can send outside the US..never tried.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:51 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:The counter on the main forum page is sitting at 99923!

I picked Feb 23rd 8)

Well my dice did I should say.

ShaneG.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 101 of 111123 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 109110111