Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 100 of 111123 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 109110111
Author

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:05 pm 

That is an insane number of posted questions, even for a "high profile" auction.

I actually laughed out loud when I saw the one about "can pigs swim?"

Brian, since this appears to be in your neighborhood, have you ever heard of this collection before?

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:06 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:The seller himself is a bit of an asshat.

If you're going to list a 3 million dollar auction with no previous sales experience AND you're going to play the "mysterious unnamed owner" card, you will get people messing around with you. It's to be expected ... and curt, smarmy answers make this guy look like a pretty big dick, actually. Plus, he doesn't have to list all the questions ... why isn't he just ignoring the obvious clowns?

I still say quite a few factors aren't adding up here. I hope eBay is keeping a close watch on this whole thing.

He does seem to be a bit curt, but I guess after getting floundered with the same stupid questions over and over again can do that to you too.  Like how many times can one say, "I am not interested in breaking it up" before it start to get annoying. :)

FWIW, there is an article in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette today about the auction, so I don't really doubt its authenticity:

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg ... 76-388.stm

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:08 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:That is an insane number of posted questions, even for a "high profile" auction.

I actually laughed out loud when I saw the one about "can pigs swim?"

Brian, since this appears to be in your neighborhood, have you ever heard of this collection before?

Not specifically, but I have heard of Record Rama before.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:12 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:I actually laughed out loud when I saw the one about "can pigs swim?"

The guy wanting to pay in $10 installments was pretty funny, too ...

I'm sorry, all due respect, but this guy either needs to purchase a sense of humor or else stop posting the obvious goofy questions.

BC, you should put on a suit and tie, pose as a "record company executive" or something, and make an appointment to check that warehouse out! Then, as you're leaving, offer to trade straight up for a Woody, three Chainmails, some Wham character sheets, and two dozen B2s.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:16 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
I'm sorry, all due respect, but this guy either needs to purchase a sense of humor or else stop posting the obvious goofy questions.

True,  I am not trying to really defend him though, but like I said I can see where it could become annoying.  Its also entirely that he isn't in fact posting all of the questions either and we are just getting a glimpse of them. Its hard to tell.

Xaxaxe wrote:BC, you should put on a suit and tie, pose as a "record company executive" or something, and make an appointment to check that warehouse out! Then, as you're leaving, offer to trade straight up for a Woody, three Chainmails, some Wham character sheets, and two dozen B2s.

I'll have to call up Draco to borrow some of those B2's he's been hanging on to all this time....

:lol:

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:57 pm 

It's got a bid ... stay tuned.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:21 pm 

Bid was retracted. Can pigs swim. I'm still laughing.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:22 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:It's got a bid ... stay tuned.

Retracted ... "entered wrong amount." :?

Someone messing with the guy, or else the seller just nuked it himself. The plot thins.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:25 pm 

Someone should report him for charging a shipping amount that is a percentage of the final bid:  3- 5%.  I'm sure Ebay would love to get their initial value fees again for this one.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:43 pm 

Mars wrote:Someone should report him for charging a shipping amount that is a percentage of the final bid:  3- 5%.  I'm sure Ebay would love to get their initial value fees again for this one.

For one I am not sure thats exactly what he is saying and to be fair its virutally impossible to able to give some an accurate shipping quote for 3.3 million records and CDs.  Secondly, even if Ebay would yank the auction on that basis, his fees would be almosr certainly be refunded.  Only under very extreme circumstances would Ebay not refund his fees.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:28 pm 

Sorry, man, but if someone offers you $28 million for a record collection and you don't sell, you have screws loose. 28 million of them.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:13 am 

i agree. i would have taken the 28 mill and that would have been that.

mind you, i would rather have the record collection. jeez thats like a dream come true to me. if i had that, you wouldnt see me again.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:04 am 

$3,002,150.00

Buddy should have taken the $28 million a while back.

I agree with Killjoy though: give me that, and you'll never see me again.  I am curious as to exactly how many duplicates there are though.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:53 am 

g026r wrote:$3,002,150.00

Buddy should have taken the $28 million a while back.

I agree with Killjoy though: give me that, and you'll never see me again.  I am curious as to exactly how many duplicates there are though.

There's a lesson here for us.  Sell while the selling's good.

And the winner lives in Ireland.  Shipping's going to be expensive.  Of course, compared to $3 million plus for the win, shipping will be minimal.  If the items are indeed worth $30 million, it would pay to hire a couple of people to do nothing but sell the collection piece by piece over the next year.  One person does nothing but list and the other does nothing but sort and pack.  That way, you avoid huge shipping costs.  Just rent a building in the city where the collection is currently stored or rent the current holding place(incurring no shipping costs), and set up shop.  Pay your employees $25,000.00 a year, rent will be $1000.00 a month, office supplies will be $10,000.00 or so.  Heck, budget $1,000,000.00 and you still clear $29 million.  Wow. 8O

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:06 am 

benjoshua wrote: One person does nothing but list and the other does nothing but sort and pack.  

Hey Tonya, is that you?  :P  :P

:wink:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:09 am 

Life situation must've changed something fierce if the "low 3m" bid wins. Rather funny, and sad. Though, I think if I had the money, I'd have offered 5 million... and then drove down and picked it all up.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:09 am 

if i had won our lottery the other week. i would have bought all that...heck even bought where they are - just move there and voila! sorted :)

then have adequate room, so that i can go round every D&D collector and buy all the collections :) how cool would THAT be!!! :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:32 am 

benjoshua wrote:
There's a lesson here for us.  Sell while the selling's good.

And the winner lives in Ireland.  Shipping's going to be expensive.  Of course, compared to $3 million plus for the win, shipping will be minimal.  If the items are indeed worth $30 million, it would pay to hire a couple of people to do nothing but sell the collection piece by piece over the next year.  One person does nothing but list and the other does nothing but sort and pack.  That way, you avoid huge shipping costs.  Just rent a building in the city where the collection is currently stored or rent the current holding place(incurring no shipping costs), and set up shop.  Pay your employees $25,000.00 a year, rent will be $1000.00 a month, office supplies will be $10,000.00 or so.  Heck, budget $1,000,000.00 and you still clear $29 million.  Wow. 8O

I have a feeling the worth of the collection is being misrepresented just a tad.  And we only have the seller's word someone offered them 28 million bucks. I have a feeling that they probably got what the collection is worth; even then, the worth is mostly in the full value of the collection which you would never get back by reselling unless you took your sweet time with the drudgery of photo taking, listing, shipping, etc.   I have a feeling both the buyer and the seller got a nice deal there.  

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 100 of 111123 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 109110111