Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 99 of 111123 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:17 pm 

total topic change to stop an argument....

if liverpool lose tonight....listen for liverpool fans yelling for the head of that Hicks guy who part-owns us!

they went from nice guys to utterly hated faster than i believed possible!!

:)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:02 pm 

You guys ever just sort of surf and manage to end up at a site that's not only pretty cool but is totally new to you? Al's post reminds me of something that happened a few nights ago:

1. I'm surfing along, checking the Times of London, which seems shocked at one of the day's FA Cup results: Barnsley 2, Liverpool 1;

2. The story has a sidebar: "5 great FA Cup upsets," or something like that;

3. Apparently, there was a game in 1972 that is completely legendary: Hereford 2, Newcastle 1;

4. I Google that score;

5. The first hit is a YouTube video ... and it is frickin' awesome! Check out that goal! The ball is still heading up when it hits the twine! And the fans ... the fans actually rush the field ("invade the pitch" ... do I have that right?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ze42I6NEo

Anyway, our UK brothers have probably seen that video five or six thousand times. But it's worth checking out ... yes, even for you non-soccer fans.

"What a goal! What a goal! Radford's the scorer!"

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:45 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:.... The first hit is a YouTube video ... and it is frickin' awesome! Check out that goal! The ball is still heading up when it hits the twine! And the fans ... the fans actually rush the field ("invade the pitch" ... do I have that right?)

Yup - that's dead right.  Oh, just lovely!  They don't call it the beautiful game for nothing  :D

As to politics, I am political, drenched in politics like brandy through a Christmas pudding, and I am just loving all the TV coverage over here about Castro stepping down.  For anyone in the UK, I see that George Galloway is set up to go on Newsnight in about 2 minutes - which should be a riot, this time I am betting his head will do a 360 degree exorcist-stylee rotate  :D  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:54 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:You guys ever just sort of surf and manage to end up at a site that's not only pretty cool but is totally new to you? Al's post reminds me of something that happened a few nights ago:

1. I'm surfing along, checking the Times of London, which seems shocked at one of the day's FA Cup results: Barnsley 2, Liverpool 1;

2. The story has a sidebar: "5 great FA Cup upsets," or something like that;

3. Apparently, there was a game in 1972 that is completely legendary: Hereford 2, Newcastle 1;

4. I Google that score;

5. The first hit is a YouTube video ... and it is frickin' awesome! Check out that goal! The ball is still heading up when it hits the twine! And the fans ... the fans actually rush the field ("invade the pitch" ... do I have that right?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ze42I6NEo

Anyway, our UK brothers have probably seen that video five or six thousand times. But it's worth checking out ... yes, even for you non-soccer fans.

"What a goal! What a goal! Radford's the scorer!"

indeed - have seen that game a goodly number of times over the years. one of the greatest ever cup upsets that. thats the dream of the FA cup that we have. you ALWAYS root for the nobody side.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:07 pm 

Nice price for your badabaskor Al - congrats!

Let's go fly a kite

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:10 pm 

Amusing and waaaaay off topic posting over at Y-S.com

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/modules.php? ... ic&t=11995

Let's go fly a kite

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:45 pm 

red_bus wrote:Amusing and waaaaay off topic posting over at Y-S.com

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/modules.php? ... ic&t=11995

That would not be wise over here on any plane or internet cafe.  One poster there had it right, would get you a trip to some secret foreign base.  Course surprised there was nothing happening after all 0s.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:34 pm 

red_bus wrote:
Yup - that's dead right.  Oh, just lovely!  They don't call it the beautiful game for nothing  :D

As to politics, I am political, drenched in politics like brandy through a Christmas pudding, and I am just loving all the TV coverage over here about Castro stepping down.  For anyone in the UK, I see that George Galloway is set up to go on Newsnight in about 2 minutes - which should be a riot, this time I am betting his head will do a 360 degree exorcist-stylee rotate  :D  :D

The only political anything that interests me at the moment is what is going on over in Pakistan and what it means for the stability of that region of the world.  Will Musharraf step down or try to stay in office?  And will the Pakistani government throw a fit after the U.S. strike on Al-Qaeda in their territory without their permission?  The next few weeks should prove interesting.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:46 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
The only political anything that interests me at the moment is what is going on over in Pakistan and what it means for the stability of that region of the world.  Will Musharraf step down or try to stay in office?  And will the Pakistani government throw a fit after the U.S. strike on Al-Qaeda in their territory without their permission?  The next few weeks should prove interesting.

The only political thing that interests me right now is somehow getting through the primaries in Texas with my brain matter intact. Since Monday we have been bombarded with advertisements both day and night on every venue.  If I have to hear or see one more commercial about how Obama is the second coming of JFK and is going to save the world, or Hillary is the 2nd coming of Bill Clinton and is going to save the world, or John McCain is th e2nd coming of Ronald Reagan and is going to save the world, I'm voting for Fidel Castro as Presidente for Life    :evil:

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:07 pm 

Badmike wrote:If I have to hear or see one more commercial about how Obama is the second coming of JFK and is going to save the world, or Hillary is the 2nd coming of Bill Clinton and is going to save the world, or John McCain is th e2nd coming of Ronald Reagan and is going to save the world, I'm voting for Fidel Castro as Presidente for Life    :evil:

Well, I do hear that he's got some spare time now. ;)

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:57 pm 

g026r wrote:
Well, I do hear that he's got some spare time now. ;)

My youngest brother and I have a running debate whether he's actually A. Dead, and being propped up ala "Weekend at Bernie's" style by Cubanistas too fearful of revolution should he be revealed as dead; B. Alive but basically a veg, when he's trotted out to shake hands with Hugo Chavez it's basically a dog and pony shoe where he gurgles and slobbers and ventriloquists throw their voice to make him say stuff like "It's the people's will!", or C. Alive and being kept alive by foul Cthulhoid magicks; he'll live to be 150 and then usher in the age of the apocalypes as Rl'yeh rises from the ocean...... :wink:

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:20 am 

Hey Killjoy. other UK folks et al,
Just out of curiousity, in the UK are the soccer (football) teams privately owned like in baseball?  Does the league have a say about who can acquire a team?  Are they allowed to relocate?  Are there league subsidies like in baseball to share profits around the markets?

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:55 pm 

Any music fans out there?  8O

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Worlds-Greatest ... 0206309501

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:06 pm 

Badmike wrote:C. Alive and being kept alive by foul Cthulhoid magicks; he'll live to be 150 and then usher in the age of the apocalypes as Rl'yeh rises from the ocean...... :wink:

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:24 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:Any music fans out there?  8O

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I... I... I think I'm going to need some time by myself. 8O

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:44 pm 

There's all kinds of things that are suspicious about that auction ... not the least of which is the seller having zero feedback from sales.

And the whole, "I could get a lot more for this if it doesn't sell on eBay" speech doesn't do a lot for me, either. I've seen it before and it's generally a pathetic attempt to look cool or unconcerned. Too bad it makes such sellers look the opposite.

I wonder what the listing fee is for 3 millions dollars? Better yet, that's going to be one hell of a final-value fee ... this guy better hope that no jokesters decide to place a fake bid or two.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:45 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:Any music fans out there?  8O

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Heh, thats about 15 mintues from my place. :)  Sad to see such a collection likely to leave the area.

If your bored, try reading through some of the questions he has recieved.  Some are legit and some are funny,  but a vast majority are proof that there are a lot of asshats out there in this world.  :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:55 pm 

The seller himself is a bit of an asshat.

If you're going to list a 3 million dollar auction with no previous sales experience AND you're going to play the "mysterious unnamed owner" card, you will get people messing around with you. It's to be expected ... and curt, smarmy answers make this guy look like a pretty big dick, actually. Plus, he doesn't have to list all the questions ... why isn't he just ignoring the obvious clowns?

I still say quite a few factors aren't adding up here. I hope eBay is keeping a close watch on this whole thing.

+++++

Late edit: Well, at least it appears there is an actual collection ... or else, the Pittsburgh newspaper is also being suckered:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 47964.html

That alleviates my biggest fear. I still say parts of the story aren't being told in that eBay listing, but at least it's not a vaporware scam. And why entrust such a unique collection with such a jerk-off of a seller? It must be a nephew or something ...

Last edited by Xaxaxe on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 99 of 111123 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 109110111