Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 96 of 111123 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 109110111
Author

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5658
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2022
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:54 pm 
 

Damn, Bus, I thought I was the only one who did that. Bought a laptop 5 years ago and just upgraded for the third time. The warranty works well, if you know how to use it. I consider it "Hardware Assurance".


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8241
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2022
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:02 am 
 

what did you guys think of this story....

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 65,00.html

am sure that you have it running on your newscasts a damn sight more than we are, but thought i would ask....seems an odd thing to do under the circumstances.

Al


Are we nearly there yet?

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 526
Joined: Oct 26, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 29, 2022

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:00 am 
 

It's transparently obvious the "Coomissioner" (sic) saw something incriminating on those tapes.  Why on earth would he destroy them otherwise?

The way I see it, Goodell is in a similar situation the baseball commish was in a few years ago, when the steroid scandal hit.

Not too long ago Baseball was hurting from a recent strike.  Attendance is down.  More people are watching football instead.  Then all of a sudden guys like Sammy Sosa and Mark Mcgwire were smacking HR after HR, breaking records and saving the sport.  Everybody in baseball from the comissioner down to the bat boys knew damn well they were juicing.  But everybody looked the other way because they were hitting lots of home runs.  People were getting excited about baseball again, parks were filling up and lots of money was being made.

Well, here's the football season in 2007.  The Pats were about to win their fourth Superbowl in 7 years, and were looking like they were going to go a perfect 19-0 this season.  The whole nation is watching to see if they can make it.  Stadiums are full and TV ratings are through the roof.  Goodell's presiding over one of the most successful seasons the NFL has ever had.

So everything's groovy until somebody starts talking about those tapes Bellichek made.  The football PR establishment is able to smooth that wrinkle:  It's all just hearsay.  Besides, lots of teams do it, it doesn't effect the outcome, blah blah blah.....until the actual tapes are found and handed over to the authorities!!!  Uh-oh!!!  Now what do we do?

Destroy them before anybody sees'em, and quick, that's what!!!

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3800
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 21, 2022

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:32 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:what did you guys think of this story....

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 65,00.html

am sure that you have it running on your newscasts a damn sight more than we are, but thought i would ask....seems an odd thing to do under the circumstances.

Al


I love all the related articles on ESPN where players from other teams are coming out with allegations and stories about suspicions that the Pats have been taping defensive signals since that super bowl with the Rams when they were big underdogs.


Let mirth prevail!

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3539
Joined: May 30, 2007
Last Visit: May 17, 2022
Location: USA Georgia

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:12 am 
 

Clemens is lying.  McNamee is no saint and didn't come totally clean the first time or second time, but the evidence is starting to pile up.  Congress smells it or they would have never asked him to appear.  The whole dance/hearing is a chance for people to get airtime.  The Mitchell Report may have errors, but they got the basics right.  Baseball has a drug problem.

What's amazing to me is that there are world conflicts going on, the economy is going down, or close to going down, and congress is talking about baseball? :roll:   I am no Clemens fan, but the priorities seem out of whack to me.  Can anyone tell me why congress has to get involved at this level?  I think they should debate the Mitchell report, pass laws about drugs if they want based on the Food & Drug Administration's recommendations or some other authoritative body, and move on.

Personally, I think there should be laws that control drugs like steroids, HGH and marijuana, and they should be used for medical purposes only on people who are sick or hurting.  Drugs like these should not be used for athletic gain, perceived or real, especially when there are studies seem to demonstrate long-term harm.

I can see where most of these athletes are smart enough people to know they are damaging themselves, and a libertarian viewpoint would be O.K. with steroid usage, but I also think that the game of baseball(or any other sport) has changed because of steriods, HGH and other drugs to the point it has influenced records and standards making a pitchers ERA or a batting average more difficult to compare.  Who wants asterisks all over the record books? :roll:   By trying to eliminate these drug "enhancers," the game of baseball becomes less of a show and more of a sport, which is what most people really want anyway.

Let's get this over with quick or table it all until the world is safer and the economy is on the way back up.  Congress or baseball doesn't need to prove Clemens is lying; just keep him out of the Hall of Fame, pass a law about steroids and that's enough for me.  Clemens is lying, next! 8)


Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 759
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Last Visit: May 14, 2022
Location: Dallas, TX

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:11 am 
 

Clemens is lying.  McNamee is no saint and didn't come totally clean the first time or second time, but the evidence is starting to pile up.  Congress smells it or they would have never asked him to appear.  The whole dance/hearing is a chance for people to get airtime.  The Mitchell Report may have errors, but they got the basics right.  Baseball has a drug problem.


Silly question, but why exactly is the federal government involved in whether someone in baseball took certain types of medication? Is the league getting direct subsidies from the feds or something?

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8241
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2022
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:26 am 
 

first lesson in politics...when there are BIG problems in government, deflect it into something that the masses are passionate about and then things go largely un-noticed because the eye is directed elsewhere....

Al


Are we nearly there yet?

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4752
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: May 11, 2022
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:12 pm 
 

Agent Cooper wrote:It's transparently obvious the "Coomissioner" (sic) saw something incriminating on those tapes.  Why on earth would he destroy them otherwise?

So everything's groovy until somebody starts talking about those tapes Bellichek made.  The football PR establishment is able to smooth that wrinkle:  It's all just hearsay.  Besides, lots of teams do it, it doesn't effect the outcome, blah blah blah.....until the actual tapes are found and handed over to the authorities!!!  Uh-oh!!!  Now what do we do?

Destroy them before anybody sees'em, and quick, that's what!!!


Or...there was simply nothing of additional consequence on the tapes and Goodell didnt feel like holding on to them any longer.  What was he going to do?  Sell them on Ebay?  Put them up on his mantle as a keepsake?  Stick them in an air-proof vault somewhere in the Nevada desert?  If Congress was so interested in the issue why the heck didnt they get the tapes from the NFL back at the beginning of the season after the issue had been raised?  Perhaps Congress realized they need to take action because it is an election year and they need to look like they actually give a rats ass about something.  I'd much rather they concentrate on more serious issues.  Frankly, I dont particularly care much if the Pats or any other team are taping each other.  They do it in high school.  Not sure what the rule is in college.  But if they are stealing each others signals then maybe the other team simply needs to do a better job of hiding them.

As for the steroids issue....it saddens me for a lot of reasons.  The 1998 home run race between Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire was one of the most enjoyable times in recent history to watch baseball.  For them to have both broken the long standing Maris record was amazing.  Now that we find out that both players were most likely taking illegal substances to increase their odds of hitting home runs, it just cheapens the whole season.  To be told that the commissioner and the other baseball officials knew that they were doing it just makes it even worse.  Kids look up to these athletes and if their idols are taking steroids to increase their physical prowess then whats to stop them from doing steroids as well?

If Clemens is found to have taken steroids or HGH during his career I hope that the commissioner bans him from the sport for life just as they did Pete Rose.  Keep him out of the Hall of Fame and take away his World Series rings and MVP honors.  Let him spend the rest of his life regretting that he ever did what he did.  Unfortunately the baseball commissioner is a crook and a liar and needs to be indicted himself.  He knew about all of these problems long before Jose Canseco and others brought it to the publics view and he didnt do anything about it then and most likely wont do anything about it now.

I am just sick and tired of these high paid athletes, musicians, and actors getting a slap on the wrist for something that I would end up spending a few years in prison for.  :?


You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7966
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: May 17, 2022
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:21 pm 
 

benjoshua wrote:
What's amazing to me is that there are world conflicts going on, the economy is going down, or close to going down, and congress is talking about baseball? :roll:   I am no Clemens fan, but the priorities seem out of whack to me.  Can anyone tell me why congress has to get involved at this level?  I think they should debate the Mitchell report, pass laws about drugs if they want based on the Food & Drug Administration's recommendations or some other authoritative body, and move on.


Congressional hearings are all about photo ops, nothing more.  Very rarely if ever does something actually come from these prime time wank sessions except footage of Congressman X shaking a finger in someone's face for the nightly news; also to be recycled on tv commercials showing the candidates "committment" to whatever special interest group they are messing with that week. These hearings are meaningless sideshows conducted periodically to "SHOW THE VOTERS WE ARE DOING SOMETHING" when their real purpose is to waste time.  

All politicians should have a time limit on their service; 20 years is probably too much but I'd go for that.  After that, the asshats need to LEAVE AND TRY TO GET A REAL JOB. I'm so tired of career politicians from both parties who have lost any sort of touch with reality trying to dictate the terms of my life to me.  

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2736
Joined: May 31, 2007
Last Visit: Mar 22, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:23 pm 
 

I say abandon government. But, that's not something easily done. And, likely to stir up some attacks. :)

Declaration of Independence wrote:But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and provide new Guards for their future security.


Heh. Reminds me of the good days of arguing anarchy is the purpose of government.


Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.


Last edited by copycat on Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7966
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: May 17, 2022
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:28 pm 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:

If Clemens is found to have taken steroids or HGH during his career I hope that the commissioner bans him from the sport for life just as they did Pete Rose.  Keep him out of the Hall of Fame and take away his World Series rings and MVP honors.  Let him spend the rest of his life regretting that he ever did what he did.  Unfortunately the baseball commissioner is a crook and a liar and needs to be indicted himself.  He knew about all of these problems long before Jose Canseco and others brought it to the publics view and he didnt do anything about it then and most likely wont do anything about it now.



That Scumbag Selig? I'm surprised he hasn't appointed himself COMMISSIONER FOR LIFE yet. Don't be shocked when his ass ugly daughter takes over after he dies (cause that's the only reason he'll ever leave) to continue the "DYNASTY". No shock that baseball's problems started about the time they removed the impartial commish and appointed a hack mouthpiece whose own team has never won a thing in about 50 years.  I'm proud to say I haven't paid to see a baseball game in almost ten years, and won't for another ten if this goes on the same way.

Of course, a lot of that is directed towards our own hometown scumbag Tom Hicks (raising prices this year after not going to the playoffs in a decade is a classic) and the desire for him not to make one cent off me.  Really rather sad because going to baseball games was one activitiy we used to do as a family back in the 70s; now, paying $125 for a beer and a hotdog while sitting in the upper deck watching millionaires loaf around on the field just makes me sick....

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8241
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2022
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:41 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:
Of course, a lot of that is directed towards our own hometown scumbag Tom Hicks (raising prices this year after not going to the playoffs in a decade is a classic).


that wouldnt be the same guy who has a piece of liverpool football club would it? wow you wanna see the press he is getting here just now :D

Al


Are we nearly there yet?

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7966
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: May 17, 2022
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:44 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:
that wouldnt be the same guy who has a piece of liverpool football club would it? wow you wanna see the press he is getting here just now :D

Al


That's the guy. Don't tell me, he's not spending a cent on the team yet raising prices.....

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 526
Joined: Oct 26, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 29, 2022

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:23 pm 
 

These are the owners give baseball owners a bad name.
They are also the ones people should get mad at instead of cursing out Steinbrenner and my Yankees for "buying" championships.

You can say alot of bad things about the Boss, and most of them are true.  But you've gotta give him credit for investing a  ton of money back into his team.  He aggressively goes out and spends cash for the big time players.  And it matters to him that they win.

Seems to me alot of smaller market owners just don't care.  They take their share of the giant wad of subsidy cash the profitable teams like NY pay into the league for the purpose of keeping them competitive--- and stash it in their pockets!  Then they keep payroll low fielding lousy teams, and raise ticket prices.  They laugh all the way to the bank and everybody blames the big bad Yankees.  (or Angels, or Red Sox, insert wealthier big market team here)

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 759
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Last Visit: May 14, 2022
Location: Dallas, TX

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:19 pm 
 

Of course, a lot of that is directed towards our own hometown scumbag Tom Hicks (raising prices this year after not going to the playoffs in a decade is a classic) and the desire for him not to make one cent off me.  Really rather sad because going to baseball games was one activitiy we used to do as a family back in the 70s; now, paying $125 for a beer and a hotdog while sitting in the upper deck watching millionaires loaf around on the field just makes me sick....


I'm a little sympathetic -- after all, the Rangers have been horrible for a while -- but what are you going to do?

I mean, are prices to change year to year depending on if they were a good or bad team the previous season? What about inflation?

I don't think it's his fault that there are basically more people that want to go to the games than there are seats available. I mean the timing sucks, but it's really just supply and demand.

It may cost more, but relatively speaking, baseball is still a super cheap sport to enjoy as a family or otherwise.

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4752
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: May 11, 2022
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:04 pm 
 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
I'm a little sympathetic -- after all, the Rangers have been horrible for a while -- but what are you going to do?

I mean, are prices to change year to year depending on if they were a good or bad team the previous season? What about inflation?

I don't think it's his fault that there are basically more people that want to go to the games than there are seats available. I mean the timing sucks, but it's really just supply and demand.

It may cost more, but relatively speaking, baseball is still a super cheap sport to enjoy as a family or otherwise.


Prices vary from year to year based on many variables.  Inflation is just one of them.  Paying ridiculous amounts of money for one player is another.  Good teams, especially teams that year after year make the playoffs, normally have higher than average payrolls than teams that dont.  There are a few exceptions though.  Florida won two World Series with a very low payroll.  But just one year after their World Series wins they unloaded the majority of their star players because they couldnt afford them anymore.  The Cubs on the other hand have had very high payrolls the past several years and have nothing to show for it other than two playoff appearances that fell short.  Florida's ticket prices are very low while the Cubs are some of the highest ticket prices in the MLB.  But as far as the Rangers go, they are still near the bottom as far as ticket prices are concerned.  Their beer is more expensive than most other teams but they also serve it in 22 oz. cups while most other stadiums server theirs in smaller increments....with the exception of St. Louis which uses a 24 oz. cup....go figure.  :roll:

As far as supply and demand....have you been to a Rangers game lately?  They sell out of very few games.  With the exceptions of the large market teams like the Yankees and Red Sox and their division rivals they have a pretty hard time filling seats.  I went to a Rangers game last year against the Cubs and the Cub fans outnumbered the Rangers fans by more than half.  It was definitely a shock.  Yet when I went to see them play the Baltimore Orioles, only about 75% of the seats were filled.  No one wants to see the Rangers.

It is definitely cheaper than seats at an NFL game, I will give you that.  Someone that goes to NBA and NHL games might be able to tell me if they are cheaper on the average than baseball games or not.  I would expect them to be.  They are also more entertaining for the most part...unless their is a bench clearing brawl because a pitcher beaned a batter or something like that.


You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 260
Joined: Feb 25, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 10, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:00 am 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Prices vary from year to year based on many variables.  Inflation is just one of them.  Paying ridiculous amounts of money for one player is another.  Good teams, especially teams that year after year make the playoffs, normally have higher than average payrolls than teams that dont.  There are a few exceptions though.  Florida won two World Series with a very low payroll.  But just one year after their World Series wins they unloaded the majority of their star players because they couldnt afford them anymore.  The Cubs on the other hand have had very high payrolls the past several years and have nothing to show for it other than two playoff appearances that fell short.  Florida's ticket prices are very low while the Cubs are some of the highest ticket prices in the MLB.  But as far as the Rangers go, they are still near the bottom as far as ticket prices are concerned.  Their beer is more expensive than most other teams but they also serve it in 22 oz. cups while most other stadiums server theirs in smaller increments....with the exception of St. Louis which uses a 24 oz. cup....go figure.  :roll:

As far as supply and demand....have you been to a Rangers game lately?  They sell out of very few games.  With the exceptions of the large market teams like the Yankees and Red Sox and their division rivals they have a pretty hard time filling seats.  I went to a Rangers game last year against the Cubs and the Cub fans outnumbered the Rangers fans by more than half.  It was definitely a shock.  Yet when I went to see them play the Baltimore Orioles, only about 75% of the seats were filled.  No one wants to see the Rangers.

It is definitely cheaper than seats at an NFL game, I will give you that.  Someone that goes to NBA and NHL games might be able to tell me if they are cheaper on the average than baseball games or not.  I would expect them to be.  They are also more entertaining for the most part...unless their is a bench clearing brawl because a pitcher beaned a batter or something like that.


MLB is not even close in average ticket price to the other 3. NFL (~65), NBA (~60) and NHL (~55) are similar to each other while the MLB (~20) is closer to a third of the price for an average ticket. And the cheaper seats follow through on that as well. You can get LA Kings tickets (worse team in the NHL this year) for about $12 bucks. You can get LA Dodger tickets for as little as $4. The Lakers are $10 bucks for the cheapest ones. We haven't had an NFL team in 13 years, so I can't comment directly that, but the internets show the numbers I put for approx to be about right.

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4522
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: May 17, 2022
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:36 am 
 

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809869644/details

Forbidden Kingdom

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/indiana ... howVideo=1

Indiana Jones

Enjoy.

ShaneG.


I reject your reality and substitute my own

 WWW  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 96 of 111123 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 109110111