Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 95 of 111123 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:46 am 

No more Pats for me, mate! Football is fixed. I'll try to get there.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:47 am 

Hi ashmere13, a few here. Depends on which coast you're settling on.

Be aware most of our evil characters are based on truly vicious Koalas...

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:53 pm 

Cheers AdderMcOne,

I thought ALL Koala's were real nasty buggers anyway deep down. They just look cute and cuddly.... til your back is turned!   :lol:

Looking to land on the east coast though, so a bit far from your side

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:43 am 

Curious about what people think about the newest "frivolous" lawsuit to hit the media:

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2008/02/a-lost ... html#posts

The amount she is suing for is ridiculous but according to her statement it is just to attract media attention (which it obviously has).  I actually am glad that this woman has stood up to Best Buy and told them that they need to get their shit together.

Countless times I have wandered into a Best Buy store to find a DVD, PC game, or other electronics item and been sorely disappointed in not only the prices but also the horrific customer service and lack of knowledge by their employees.  It has gotten so bad that I pretty much buy all of my electronic equipment online now and if I want to buy a DVD or software I can always go to Target or Fry's and usually save a few dollars in the process.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:01 am 

A couple of years ago Best Buy purchased the large Canadian electronic chain store called Future Shop.

In many areas they are the only place to buy electronics, cd's and dvd's.

The service in my local store is less than stellar. Around Xmas I was there looking for some gifts and the sales people were gathered in the middle of one aisle telling stories (loudly) and laughing about customers they had served earlier. Did not leave a very good impression and even though I was there for over 20 minutes not once did I see any of the staff approach any customers to offer help.

I would rather buy online and take advantage of their free delivery than experience their "service" again.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:24 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Curious about what people think about the newest "frivolous" lawsuit to hit the media:

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2008/02/a-lost ... html#posts

The amount she is suing for is ridiculous but according to her statement it is just to attract media attention (which it obviously has).  I actually am glad that this woman has stood up to Best Buy and told them that they need to get their shit together.

Countless times I have wandered into a Best Buy store to find a DVD, PC game, or other electronics item and been sorely disappointed in not only the prices but also the horrific customer service and lack of knowledge by their employees.  It has gotten so bad that I pretty much buy all of my electronic equipment online now and if I want to buy a DVD or software I can always go to Target or Fry's and usually save a few dollars in the process.

I had a bad experience at Best Buy many years ago, similar to hers there was very little support or help from management. They managed to delete all the data on a hard drive of my computer while trying to transfer the data to a larger hard drive.  Basically I had to argue with the store manager to even get a DISCOUNT on a new computer hard drive.   Happily when I got my old hard drive back the info was still there and I was able to save it with the help of a friend.  Anyway since then I have shopped there but never get any kind of extended warranty; if my computer has a problem or breaks I'll either buy a new one or bring it to a Mom and Pop shop to fix.  Their "extended" warranty is a huge joke.  If it isn't something the 18 year old kids working in the back can fix, you are out a computer for weeks and/or it might end up stolen like this one.  And if that happens they will lowball your offer.  I've never understood idiots that work for chain stores like this that don't just GIVE THE CUSTOMER WHAT THEY WANT....they've already suffered far, far more than the computer was worth in bad pub.

Then again, most store managers I have met in my time are one step below "monkey" on the evolutionary chain.

That being said....

This lady is a MORON.  She has that kind of info on her LAPTOP, and apparantly not backed up???????  Having your income taxes on your laptop is like walking around all day with them lying on your front seat, under your arm, and on the table at Starbucks!!! I understand a lot of people use their laptops as their primary computer nowadays, but cmon. If you do, you have to realize you take a chance every single time you leave the house with it that it may be stolen, and you need to accept the consequences. I don't have any of that sort of info on my laptop....mostly just music files, D&D files, word documents, pdfs, etc. Nothing along the lines of income taxes or really anything too personal.  

I have friends that have their entire lives on their laptops, they leave the house everyday with their laptop, go to Starbucks, leave the machine in the car, take it on trips, everywhere.  I think they are pretty much asking for it...and so does anyone here who does the same.  Fess up, who here as ALL their personal info on their laptop??? 8O

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:30 am 

Not I! I don't even do online banking (I have seen too many network admins overworked and behind on security updates).

I learned the necessity of backups many years ago and besides regular data backups to data dvd's I also have a 4 GB USB key that I use regularly.

When I leave the house the USB key is on my keychain and the archive dvd's are stored offsite at a relatives house.

At the very most I might lose a few days of information. It takes some time to develop good backup habits but it is well worth it.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:07 am 

Badmike wrote:Fess up, who here as ALL their personal info on their laptop??? 8O

Mike B.

I have two PC's at home and a laptop that is exclusively used for work.  I dont have a single iota of financial data on any of them unless you count hyperlinks to my online banking site.  No tax information, no insurance info, no retirement info, no nothing.  All of that information is either locked up inside a fireproof safe or is only accessible online.

As far as my personal data is concerned (music, photos, etc.) I have all that backed up on external hard drives and DVD's.  Two copies of everything just in case the hard drive dies.  As cheap as DVD burners are nowadays and as simple as external hard drives and flash memory is to use, there is no reason anyone should ever lose their data because their laptop or computer breaks or goes missing.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:40 am 

While she may be a dumbass, that is not an excuse for what has happened - if anything, she should have made this claim much earlier.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:15 pm 

Actually, Best Buy's replacement warranty program is awesome. I don't know about with a computer, I'd never buy a computer from Best Buy/Circuit City/etc.

I have a friend who hasn't bought a new cell phone in going on 10 years now because he just goes in and gets a replacement within 2 year of purchasing his last one.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:54 pm 

Damn, Bus, I thought I was the only one who did that. Bought a laptop 5 years ago and just upgraded for the third time. The warranty works well, if you know how to use it. I consider it "Hardware Assurance".

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:02 am 

what did you guys think of this story....

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 65,00.html

am sure that you have it running on your newscasts a damn sight more than we are, but thought i would ask....seems an odd thing to do under the circumstances.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:00 am 

It's transparently obvious the "Coomissioner" (sic) saw something incriminating on those tapes.  Why on earth would he destroy them otherwise?

The way I see it, Goodell is in a similar situation the baseball commish was in a few years ago, when the steroid scandal hit.

Not too long ago Baseball was hurting from a recent strike.  Attendance is down.  More people are watching football instead.  Then all of a sudden guys like Sammy Sosa and Mark Mcgwire were smacking HR after HR, breaking records and saving the sport.  Everybody in baseball from the comissioner down to the bat boys knew damn well they were juicing.  But everybody looked the other way because they were hitting lots of home runs.  People were getting excited about baseball again, parks were filling up and lots of money was being made.

Well, here's the football season in 2007.  The Pats were about to win their fourth Superbowl in 7 years, and were looking like they were going to go a perfect 19-0 this season.  The whole nation is watching to see if they can make it.  Stadiums are full and TV ratings are through the roof.  Goodell's presiding over one of the most successful seasons the NFL has ever had.

So everything's groovy until somebody starts talking about those tapes Bellichek made.  The football PR establishment is able to smooth that wrinkle:  It's all just hearsay.  Besides, lots of teams do it, it doesn't effect the outcome, blah blah blah.....until the actual tapes are found and handed over to the authorities!!!  Uh-oh!!!  Now what do we do?

Destroy them before anybody sees'em, and quick, that's what!!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:32 am 

killjoy32 wrote:what did you guys think of this story....

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 65,00.html

am sure that you have it running on your newscasts a damn sight more than we are, but thought i would ask....seems an odd thing to do under the circumstances.

Al

I love all the related articles on ESPN where players from other teams are coming out with allegations and stories about suspicions that the Pats have been taping defensive signals since that super bowl with the Rams when they were big underdogs.

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:12 am 

Clemens is lying.  McNamee is no saint and didn't come totally clean the first time or second time, but the evidence is starting to pile up.  Congress smells it or they would have never asked him to appear.  The whole dance/hearing is a chance for people to get airtime.  The Mitchell Report may have errors, but they got the basics right.  Baseball has a drug problem.

What's amazing to me is that there are world conflicts going on, the economy is going down, or close to going down, and congress is talking about baseball? :roll:   I am no Clemens fan, but the priorities seem out of whack to me.  Can anyone tell me why congress has to get involved at this level?  I think they should debate the Mitchell report, pass laws about drugs if they want based on the Food & Drug Administration's recommendations or some other authoritative body, and move on.

Personally, I think there should be laws that control drugs like steroids, HGH and marijuana, and they should be used for medical purposes only on people who are sick or hurting.  Drugs like these should not be used for athletic gain, perceived or real, especially when there are studies seem to demonstrate long-term harm.

I can see where most of these athletes are smart enough people to know they are damaging themselves, and a libertarian viewpoint would be O.K. with steroid usage, but I also think that the game of baseball(or any other sport) has changed because of steriods, HGH and other drugs to the point it has influenced records and standards making a pitchers ERA or a batting average more difficult to compare.  Who wants asterisks all over the record books? :roll:   By trying to eliminate these drug "enhancers," the game of baseball becomes less of a show and more of a sport, which is what most people really want anyway.

Let's get this over with quick or table it all until the world is safer and the economy is on the way back up.  Congress or baseball doesn't need to prove Clemens is lying; just keep him out of the Hall of Fame, pass a law about steroids and that's enough for me.  Clemens is lying, next! 8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:11 am 

Clemens is lying.  McNamee is no saint and didn't come totally clean the first time or second time, but the evidence is starting to pile up.  Congress smells it or they would have never asked him to appear.  The whole dance/hearing is a chance for people to get airtime.  The Mitchell Report may have errors, but they got the basics right.  Baseball has a drug problem.

Silly question, but why exactly is the federal government involved in whether someone in baseball took certain types of medication? Is the league getting direct subsidies from the feds or something?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:26 am 

first lesson in politics...when there are BIG problems in government, deflect it into something that the masses are passionate about and then things go largely un-noticed because the eye is directed elsewhere....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:12 pm 

Agent Cooper wrote:It's transparently obvious the "Coomissioner" (sic) saw something incriminating on those tapes.  Why on earth would he destroy them otherwise?

So everything's groovy until somebody starts talking about those tapes Bellichek made.  The football PR establishment is able to smooth that wrinkle:  It's all just hearsay.  Besides, lots of teams do it, it doesn't effect the outcome, blah blah blah.....until the actual tapes are found and handed over to the authorities!!!  Uh-oh!!!  Now what do we do?

Destroy them before anybody sees'em, and quick, that's what!!!

Or...there was simply nothing of additional consequence on the tapes and Goodell didnt feel like holding on to them any longer.  What was he going to do?  Sell them on Ebay?  Put them up on his mantle as a keepsake?  Stick them in an air-proof vault somewhere in the Nevada desert?  If Congress was so interested in the issue why the heck didnt they get the tapes from the NFL back at the beginning of the season after the issue had been raised?  Perhaps Congress realized they need to take action because it is an election year and they need to look like they actually give a rats ass about something.  I'd much rather they concentrate on more serious issues.  Frankly, I dont particularly care much if the Pats or any other team are taping each other.  They do it in high school.  Not sure what the rule is in college.  But if they are stealing each others signals then maybe the other team simply needs to do a better job of hiding them.

As for the steroids issue....it saddens me for a lot of reasons.  The 1998 home run race between Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire was one of the most enjoyable times in recent history to watch baseball.  For them to have both broken the long standing Maris record was amazing.  Now that we find out that both players were most likely taking illegal substances to increase their odds of hitting home runs, it just cheapens the whole season.  To be told that the commissioner and the other baseball officials knew that they were doing it just makes it even worse.  Kids look up to these athletes and if their idols are taking steroids to increase their physical prowess then whats to stop them from doing steroids as well?

If Clemens is found to have taken steroids or HGH during his career I hope that the commissioner bans him from the sport for life just as they did Pete Rose.  Keep him out of the Hall of Fame and take away his World Series rings and MVP honors.  Let him spend the rest of his life regretting that he ever did what he did.  Unfortunately the baseball commissioner is a crook and a liar and needs to be indicted himself.  He knew about all of these problems long before Jose Canseco and others brought it to the publics view and he didnt do anything about it then and most likely wont do anything about it now.

I am just sick and tired of these high paid athletes, musicians, and actors getting a slap on the wrist for something that I would end up spending a few years in prison for.  :?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 95 of 111123 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 109110111