Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 95 of 111123 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:23 pm 

The Pats looked tired and worn out most the game...I think the pressure of being undefeated finally got to them.  In contrast, the Giants seemed to relish in their underdog role, and looked hungry.

I disagree. I think the Giants just match up well against the Pats and they couldn't handle the pass rush.

Where was Randy Moss during the playoffs?  He was awful the last three games, and was nearly invisible in the SB. I know the other team's strategy is to double cover him, but he can't run an out, or any plays across the middle?  Waiting for the inevitable meltdown next year....this guy has NOT looked happy all during the playoffs, and with Welker catching more passes...well, Moss has never liked being #2.

I think Moss is okay with that so long as the team wins. His attitude after the game was fairly classy. Still, though, you have to think NE has to find ways to get him the ball.

The blueprint now is to put Brady on the ground, and he gets rattled.  Watch more teams to sell out on the blitz next year (very shocked they didn't do it more this year).  

Not sure your point here. Every GM in the league knows that games are won in the trenches and getting a great D-line is obviously key to that. The problem is actually getting that talent.

Teams can't blitz effectively against the Pats because Brady is incredibly good at picking it up. Just look at Jacksonville and other great defenses that the Pats shredded trying to do that. The Ravens were the only team that mixed up their blitzes well enough to confuse Brady.

As I recall, the Eagles and Giants were effective against the Pats because they could get Brady on the ground or under pressure by only rushing 3 or 4. This in turn allows them to double Moss without getting into too much trouble. Sure, blitzing was used occasionally, but that wasn't the key to their success.

I think we saw the advantage of playing in a tough division (Giants against the Redskins, Cowboys and Eagles) vs a soft divison (Pats playing three of the worst teams in the league twice each).  Once football scholars digest this shocking superbowl result, I think there will be a lot more critical assessment of the Pats undefeated season. They beat everyone in the NFC east, and teams like the Colts, Steelers, and Chargers, but I'm sure the infaliable press will find something they don't like about it.  

I disagree. The Bills, regardless of record, give a tough test week and week out (like the Ravens and Titans, for example). They play hard. That NE blowed them out was a testament to how great the Pats were playing. And sure the Dolphins suck, but overall, the Patriot's schedule was pretty tough. Moreover, it wasn't as if they were narrowly beating teams, they were destroying them (except the Colts).

The '72 Dolphins, for example, played only a few teams over .500 and were even a superbowl underdog.

Would you be 100% surprised if the Giants didn't even make the playoffs next year?  I wouldn't. I also wouldn't be surprised if Eli doesn't overwhelm in the future, although honestly he never had a lights out game during the playoffs anyway.  He seems to be turning into the kind of QB that doesn't necessarily win games, but doesn't make the mistakes that lose games.

True, but you could probably say that about every team. On paper, however, I think their odds of making the playoffs are pretty good if you factor in Bradshaw's and Smith's development, and Eli's maturity.

The Giants aren't the best team in the league, but they match up perfectly against the Pats and would probably take 6 or 7 out of 10.

I was shocked to see the Pats defense disappear this game..they always seemed to come up with the turnover they needed at the exact right time during the regular season.

Giving up 17 points is not really why they lost. I thought they tackled pretty well and made a few plays. In fact, that is a typical defensive game for the Patriots (17.1ppg, 4th overall). They lost because they couldn't score.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:56 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:Quote:
 Where was Randy Moss during the playoffs?  He was awful the last three games, and was nearly invisible in the SB. I know the other team's strategy is to double cover him, but he can't run an out, or any plays across the middle?  Waiting for the inevitable meltdown next year....this guy has NOT looked happy all during the playoffs, and with Welker catching more passes...well, Moss has never liked being #2.  

I think Moss is okay with that so long as the team wins. His attitude after the game was fairly classy. Still, though, you have to think NE has to find ways to get him the ball.

I can't believe they don't have an out, or a hook, or an across the middle play for Moss? Every single play to him seems to be a home run ball to gain 50+ yds and/or a TD.  Seeing as how he was shut down not once, but for the entire playoffs (he had what, 7 catches in three games?) tells me that teams are conceding passes to Welker (who responded with some monster games) in lieu of having Moss get the home run ball.    If you look at Moss's history, he's never been a problem when his team is good...and the Pats were very good this year.  

Quote:
 The blueprint now is to put Brady on the ground, and he gets rattled.  Watch more teams to sell out on the blitz next year (very shocked they didn't do it more this year).  

Not sure your point here. Every GM in the league knows that games are won in the trenches and getting a great D-line is obviously key to that. The problem is actually getting that talent.

Teams can't blitz effectively against the Pats because Brady is incredibly good at picking it up. Just look at Jacksonville and other great defenses that the Pats shredded trying to do that. The Ravens were the only team that mixed up their blitzes well enough to confuse Brady.

As I recall, the Eagles and Giants were effective against the Pats because they could get Brady on the ground or under pressure by only rushing 3 or 4. This in turn allows them to double Moss without getting into too much trouble. Sure, blitzing was used occasionally, but that wasn't the key to their success.

Well, the key is to double Moss while also having an effective pass rush.  However, the Giants (and to an extent the Ravens) showed that you don't HAVE to double Moss every play if you can get to Brady....because no one can throw a 50 yd bomb when they are backpedaling trying to avoid a sack.  In those cases, a quick out or screen is called for, and honestly I rarely saw the Pats use those in the playoffs to anyone but Welker..who killed teams doing this. I think you could go man to man with Moss if you effectively rush.
  By putting Brady on the ground, I mean just that....making sure you shove, push, run into, or yank Brady to the turf every play.  There are some QBs this doesn't seem to work against...Favre is one..but Brady seemed susecptible to being physically manhandled.  A lot of time, after plays where he ate dirt, he either rushed the next throw or threw an INT (the Cowboys game is one where this happened...he got flattened before his first INT, then threw a really bad quickie pass the next play).  This may be because Brady's physical health was a little more delicate than we were let on about, or that he just get nervous hearing footsteps, but it seemed something I would have tried had I been a team who was a massive underdog (like the Dolphins).  

Quote:
 I think we saw the advantage of playing in a tough division (Giants against the Redskins, Cowboys and Eagles) vs a soft divison (Pats playing three of the worst teams in the league twice each).  Once football scholars digest this shocking superbowl result, I think there will be a lot more critical assessment of the Pats undefeated season. They beat everyone in the NFC east, and teams like the Colts, Steelers, and Chargers, but I'm sure the infaliable press will find something they don't like about it.   

I disagree. The Bills, regardless of record, give a tough test week and week out (like the Ravens and Titans, for example). They play hard. That NE blowed them out was a testament to how great the Pats were playing. And sure the Dolphins suck, but overall, the Patriot's schedule was pretty tough. Moreover, it wasn't as if they were narrowly beating teams, they were destroying them (except the Colts).

The '72 Dolphins, for example, played only a few teams over .500 and were even a superbowl underdog.

The Pats division was putrid, and no other way to spin it, and that was a guaranteed six games on their road to being undefeated.  They remind me of the early to mid 90s 49ers who had a guaranteed 7-8 wins every year facing the likes of the Falcons and other patsies in their division.

The Pats destroying teams I prefer to call "running up the score", which they were definitely guilty of in several games this year or no discernible purpose except to feed Bellicheat's ego.  A lot of teams in the NFL can beat the team by 4 TDs if they are throwing the ball ahead by 20 pts in the 4th quarter, or going for it instead of kicking a FG when you have 4th and 1 in the opponents red zone.  Much of the Pats dominance was showmanship...don't get me wrong, they are one of the ten best teams in NFL history, but it's not because they ran up the score against bad teams.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:21 pm 

The Pats division was putrid, and no other way to spin it, and that was a guaranteed six games on their road to being undefeated.  They remind me of the early to mid 90s 49ers who had a guaranteed 7-8 wins every year facing the likes of the Falcons and other patsies in their division.

I guess we'll have to disagree. I just can't see their overall schedule as being anything other than tough:

A) 2 games against a solid 8-8 Bills team
B) They beat every single elite team in the AFC.. Colts, Chargers, Pitt.
C) They beat the best team in the entire NFC.. Cowboys.
D) They also had to play the Eagles, Ravens and Giants... those aren't easy wins for anybody.. and it showed in the boxscore. The Ravens and Eagles are teams that were only very recently Superbowl contenders, and have a reputation for having a tough D.
E) They played a 10-6 Browns team that just missed the #6 seed
F) They played a 9-7 Skins team that made the playoffs

I count 11 tough games right there. Throw in 4 "easy" divisional games and a game against the Bengals (who happened to beat the #6 Titans).

In your view what makes their schedule easy? Just because they played 4 games against bad teams or because they didn't play every single good team in the NFL (which I guess only really leaves out Green Bay, Seattle, Jax and Tenn)?

By putting Brady on the ground, I mean just that....making sure you shove, push, run into, or yank Brady to the turf every play. There are some QBs this doesn't seem to work against...Favre is one..but Brady seemed susecptible to being physically manhandled. A lot of time, after plays where he ate dirt, he either rushed the next throw or threw an INT (the Cowboys game is one where this happened...he got flattened before his first INT, then threw a really bad quickie pass the next play). This may be because Brady's physical health was a little more delicate than we were let on about, or that he just get nervous hearing footsteps, but it seemed something I would have tried had I been a team who was a massive underdog (like the Dolphins).

I don't think Brady did a bad job, was not focused, or was injured. The pass rush was just relentless, which is how NYG beat the Pack and the Cowboys. I mean, just like Brady, Romo looked really uncomfortable back there getting hit so often in the 2nd half of that game.. And Romo looks like a Jedi in the pocket.

All these QBs were rattled by the Giant pass rush, missing open receivers even when there wasn't pressure.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:45 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
And Romo looks like a Jedi in the pocket.

So is Jessica Simpson then Padme? Cause we all know what'll happen then to Romo's career. :lol:

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:49 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote: Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:21 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
The Pats division was putrid, and no other way to spin it, and that was a guaranteed six games on their road to being undefeated. They remind me of the early to mid 90s 49ers who had a guaranteed 7-8 wins every year facing the likes of the Falcons and other patsies in their division.  

I guess we'll have to disagree. I just can't see their overall schedule as being anything other than tough:

A) 2 games against a solid 8-8 Bills team
B) They beat every single elite team in the AFC.. Colts, Chargers, Pitt.
C) They beat the best team in the entire NFC.. Cowboys.
D) They also had to play the Eagles, Ravens and Giants... those aren't easy wins for anybody.. and it showed in the boxscore. The Ravens and Eagles are teams that were only very recently Superbowl contenders, and have a reputation for having a tough D.
E) They played a 10-6 Browns team that just missed the #6 seed
F) They played a 9-7 Skins team that made the playoffs

I count 11 tough games right there. Throw in 4 "easy" divisional games and a game against the Bengals (who happened to beat the #6 Titans).

In your view what makes their schedule easy? Just because they played 4 games against bad teams or because they didn't play every single good team in the NFL (which I guess only really leaves out Green Bay, Seattle, Jax and Tenn)?

The three teams in the Pats division were a combined 12-36, including a one win team that may have been the worst in the NFL this year, and the Jets, which were pretty close to the 2nd worst team (although I might rate them ahead of the Chiefs or Raiders)---NONE of which had a winning record (the Bills were actually 7-9).  

On the flip side, the Giants divisional teams were 30-18, and had THREE playoff teams from their division.  The worst team in the division was 8-8 and had been to the superbowl in the last two years. I was talking about divisional schedule, not overall, and by any quantifiable measurement the NFC east was much tougher than the AFC East.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:09 pm 

The three teams in the Pats division were a combined 12-36, including a one win team that may have been the worst in the NFL this year, and the Jets, which were pretty close to the 2nd worst team (although I might rate them ahead of the Chiefs or Raiders)---NONE of which had a winning record (the Bills were actually 7-9).  

On the flip side, the Giants divisional teams were 30-18, and had THREE playoff teams from their division.  The worst team in the division was 8-8 and had been to the superbowl in the last two years. I was talking about divisional schedule, not overall, and by any quantifiable measurement the NFC east was much tougher than the AFC East.

Fair enough. The Cowboys/Giants have a much more difficult division than the Pats. And this is probably why we'll see the Pats in the playoffs for the next year or two.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:54 pm 

Hey Deadlord39,

Since the Pats lost, you now have my permission to enter my wonderful city for Gencon 2008.  But watch yourself!!!

And if you choose to wear a Pats jersey, you can expect that jersey to be booed.  You, yourself, will be welcomed to the city - the jersey may be taken from you forcibly and burned.  But once that's over, it's like "hey enjoy the great city of Indianapolis."

Martin

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:57 pm 

Evening guys, sorry if this is the wrong spot to post, but I thought as it is the OT thread.... (despite talking of loads of american footie which I have been out of touch with for some time)

But anywho, are there many Aussie gamers/members here? I ask as I will be emigrating at some point in the foreseeable and it would be interesting to know if the AD&D world has much of a grip in Oz. From what I've seen, the UK views it as a 'geek' or devil worshipping culture but I don't know about the Aussies....

Maybe if I land in a similar area, we could even hook up for a game??  :)

As a result, I've been buying up some old stuff from sellers here and ebay to help build up a more complete world for me to create when things settle down as I suspect it may be harder to buy stuff over there due to shipping etc...?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:46 am 

No more Pats for me, mate! Football is fixed. I'll try to get there.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:47 am 

Hi ashmere13, a few here. Depends on which coast you're settling on.

Be aware most of our evil characters are based on truly vicious Koalas...

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:53 pm 

Cheers AdderMcOne,

I thought ALL Koala's were real nasty buggers anyway deep down. They just look cute and cuddly.... til your back is turned!   :lol:

Looking to land on the east coast though, so a bit far from your side

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:43 am 

Curious about what people think about the newest "frivolous" lawsuit to hit the media:

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2008/02/a-lost ... html#posts

The amount she is suing for is ridiculous but according to her statement it is just to attract media attention (which it obviously has).  I actually am glad that this woman has stood up to Best Buy and told them that they need to get their shit together.

Countless times I have wandered into a Best Buy store to find a DVD, PC game, or other electronics item and been sorely disappointed in not only the prices but also the horrific customer service and lack of knowledge by their employees.  It has gotten so bad that I pretty much buy all of my electronic equipment online now and if I want to buy a DVD or software I can always go to Target or Fry's and usually save a few dollars in the process.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:01 am 

A couple of years ago Best Buy purchased the large Canadian electronic chain store called Future Shop.

In many areas they are the only place to buy electronics, cd's and dvd's.

The service in my local store is less than stellar. Around Xmas I was there looking for some gifts and the sales people were gathered in the middle of one aisle telling stories (loudly) and laughing about customers they had served earlier. Did not leave a very good impression and even though I was there for over 20 minutes not once did I see any of the staff approach any customers to offer help.

I would rather buy online and take advantage of their free delivery than experience their "service" again.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:24 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Curious about what people think about the newest "frivolous" lawsuit to hit the media:

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2008/02/a-lost ... html#posts

The amount she is suing for is ridiculous but according to her statement it is just to attract media attention (which it obviously has).  I actually am glad that this woman has stood up to Best Buy and told them that they need to get their shit together.

Countless times I have wandered into a Best Buy store to find a DVD, PC game, or other electronics item and been sorely disappointed in not only the prices but also the horrific customer service and lack of knowledge by their employees.  It has gotten so bad that I pretty much buy all of my electronic equipment online now and if I want to buy a DVD or software I can always go to Target or Fry's and usually save a few dollars in the process.

I had a bad experience at Best Buy many years ago, similar to hers there was very little support or help from management. They managed to delete all the data on a hard drive of my computer while trying to transfer the data to a larger hard drive.  Basically I had to argue with the store manager to even get a DISCOUNT on a new computer hard drive.   Happily when I got my old hard drive back the info was still there and I was able to save it with the help of a friend.  Anyway since then I have shopped there but never get any kind of extended warranty; if my computer has a problem or breaks I'll either buy a new one or bring it to a Mom and Pop shop to fix.  Their "extended" warranty is a huge joke.  If it isn't something the 18 year old kids working in the back can fix, you are out a computer for weeks and/or it might end up stolen like this one.  And if that happens they will lowball your offer.  I've never understood idiots that work for chain stores like this that don't just GIVE THE CUSTOMER WHAT THEY WANT....they've already suffered far, far more than the computer was worth in bad pub.

Then again, most store managers I have met in my time are one step below "monkey" on the evolutionary chain.

That being said....

This lady is a MORON.  She has that kind of info on her LAPTOP, and apparantly not backed up???????  Having your income taxes on your laptop is like walking around all day with them lying on your front seat, under your arm, and on the table at Starbucks!!! I understand a lot of people use their laptops as their primary computer nowadays, but cmon. If you do, you have to realize you take a chance every single time you leave the house with it that it may be stolen, and you need to accept the consequences. I don't have any of that sort of info on my laptop....mostly just music files, D&D files, word documents, pdfs, etc. Nothing along the lines of income taxes or really anything too personal.  

I have friends that have their entire lives on their laptops, they leave the house everyday with their laptop, go to Starbucks, leave the machine in the car, take it on trips, everywhere.  I think they are pretty much asking for it...and so does anyone here who does the same.  Fess up, who here as ALL their personal info on their laptop??? 8O

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:30 am 

Not I! I don't even do online banking (I have seen too many network admins overworked and behind on security updates).

I learned the necessity of backups many years ago and besides regular data backups to data dvd's I also have a 4 GB USB key that I use regularly.

When I leave the house the USB key is on my keychain and the archive dvd's are stored offsite at a relatives house.

At the very most I might lose a few days of information. It takes some time to develop good backup habits but it is well worth it.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:07 am 

Badmike wrote:Fess up, who here as ALL their personal info on their laptop??? 8O

Mike B.

I have two PC's at home and a laptop that is exclusively used for work.  I dont have a single iota of financial data on any of them unless you count hyperlinks to my online banking site.  No tax information, no insurance info, no retirement info, no nothing.  All of that information is either locked up inside a fireproof safe or is only accessible online.

As far as my personal data is concerned (music, photos, etc.) I have all that backed up on external hard drives and DVD's.  Two copies of everything just in case the hard drive dies.  As cheap as DVD burners are nowadays and as simple as external hard drives and flash memory is to use, there is no reason anyone should ever lose their data because their laptop or computer breaks or goes missing.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:40 am 

While she may be a dumbass, that is not an excuse for what has happened - if anything, she should have made this claim much earlier.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:15 pm 

Actually, Best Buy's replacement warranty program is awesome. I don't know about with a computer, I'd never buy a computer from Best Buy/Circuit City/etc.

I have a friend who hasn't bought a new cell phone in going on 10 years now because he just goes in and gets a replacement within 2 year of purchasing his last one.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 95 of 111123 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 109110111