Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 92 of 111123 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:07 am 

Wow, you have to admire a man who keeps his promises! It's a shame he has to watch them lose on it, but at least there's next season. Football is a hundred times better on a widescreen HDTV.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:13 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Wow, you have to admire a man who keeps his promises! It's a shame he has to watch them lose on it, but at least there's next season. Football is a hundred times better on a widescreen HDTV.

10 roads victories straight...... 3 in the playoffs.
In week 17, they held NE to a late sighing victory, wherein the game was not decided till the very last play of the game.
I would not count the NY Giants as losers just yet.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:50 am 

Aneoth wrote:
10 roads victories straight...... 3 in the playoffs.
In week 17, they held NE to a late sighing victory, wherein the game was not decided till the very last play of the game.
I would not count the NY Giants as losers just yet.

I am!  As much as I dislike the Pats I am not one of those fans that cheers for the team from the same division if the team that I like gets beaten by said team.  I never understood that.  I have never and will never cheer or pull for the Giants, Eagles, or Redskins to win anything.

Besides....at least I have some respect for Tom Brady.  I have less than zero respect for Eli Manning.  I don't care if he is Super Bowl MVP and breaks every quarterback record there is before he retires.  Any athlete that is talented enough to get drafted into the NFL and then tell the team that drafted him that he isn't going to play for them is a shitheel.  :evil:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:08 pm 

Yeah, that was weird how that all went down.  I think Archie Manning orchestrated that whole deal.  Alot of people were mad at that, especially San Diego fans!  Boy did he get booed down there.

Of course, it bears mentioning that San Diego isn't in the Superbowl this year.  So Eli's getting the last laugh after all.   :P

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:58 pm 

School 1967 vs. School 2007

Scenario: Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.
1967 - Vice principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his own shotgun to show Jack.
2007 - School goes into lockdown, the FBI is called, and Jack is hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors are called in to assist traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight aft! er school.
1967 - Crowd gathers.  Mark wins.  Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2007 - Police are called; SWAT team arrives and arrests Johnny and Mark.  They are charged
with assault and both are expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't sit still in class, disrupts other students.
1967 - Jeffrey is sent to the principal's office and given a good paddling.  Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin.  Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD.
School gets extra state funding because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
1967 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman! .

2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse.  Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang.  State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison.  Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.  

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some Aspirin to school.
1967 - Mark shares Aspirin with the school principal out on the smoking dock.
2007 - Police are called and Mark is expe lled from School for drug violations.  His car is searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Pedro fails high-school English.
1967 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, and goes to college.
2007 - Pedro's cause is taken up by local human rights group.  Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that making English a requirement for graduation is racist.  US Civil Liberties Association files class action law suit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher.  English is banned from corriculum.  Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover Independence Day firecrackers, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up an anthill.
1967 - Ants die.
2007 - Homeland Security and the FBI are called and Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism.  Teams investigate parents, siblings are removed from the home, computers are confiscated, and Johnny's dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.  

Scen! ario: Johnny falls during recess and scrapes his knee.  His teach er, Mary, finds him crying, and gives him a hug to comfort him.
1967 - Johnny soon feels better and goes back to playing.
2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job.  She faces three years in a federal prison.  Johnny undergoes five years of therapy.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:07 pm 

Tragic yet hilarious at the same time.  :lol:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:24 pm 

In 1983, I actually did take my Cap and Ball .45 caliber to high school for a presentation.  I asked principle and he said yes.  He had no concerns (this was a rural high school) except that I not bring any of the ingredients to actually fire the weapon.  I asked if I could at least bring a cap for demonstration and he said that was fine.

No one was killed or wounded during the presentation.

Martin

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:44 pm 

Agent Cooper wrote:Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some Aspirin to school.
1967 - Mark shares Aspirin with the school principal out on the smoking dock.
2007 - Police are called and Mark is expe lled from School for drug violations.  His car is searched for drugs and weapons.

Sad but very, very true.  My daughter's best friend in junior high was sent to alternative school for a week because her mom had given her two Advil to take that day (it was her period) and she forgot to give it to the school nurse and instead kept it so she could just take it herself when she was in pain. A teacher saw her swallow one down during lunch with her drink, and she was immediately yanked out of class, the other Advil was found, and she was then suspended.  She came pretty darn close to being expelled but an outcry from other mothers (hers was a member of a church group with the other mothers, who also had kids at school, and they got their churchmembers to flood the principal with calls) let her stay in school.  She still had to serve the week long detention.

Another true story...a local high school honor student was suspended for the year after a butter knife was found in the bed of his truck by a snooping security guard. The kid, a straight A student, was yanked out of class and arrested, he was suspended for three days, then told he would begin alternative education for the rest of the school year.  What had happened was that weekend he had helped his grandmother by taking a bunch of boxes of old junk to a thrift store, and had all the boxes in the bed of his truck...one box contained old silverware, and a butter knife somehow slipped out of one of the boxes and lay unnoticed in the truck bed for the weekend, when he went to school Monday, the security guard saw it...and of course any sort of weapon isa violation of all number of zero tolerance laws here in Texas schools (and probably elsewhere).  The principal and administration had NO CHOICE but to charge the boy and then send him to alternative school for the rest of the year.

Well, his very intelligent father did what any parent should.  He went to the local media, and for several nights stragiht, this story of Orwellian persecution was played out on local TV stations, as well as radio shows and the newspapers.  The school and the district was flooded with thousands of irrate calls, so much so that no administrative work could be done between the Today show calling and film crews filling up the parking lot every day.  The district realized they had a public relations disaster on their hands and expediated the kids hearing, basically giving him a slap on the wrist and letting him back to school after the three days suspension (and without having to go to a Juvenile Justice facility!). It is interesting, however, that at the end they did try to get he and his dad to sign a paper saying the student committed a crime, and that he would be let in only after he admited he was wrong and apologized. When the father threatened to introduce the school district to the pro bono attorney that had agreed to take the case, the school district quickly dispensed with the written confession and let the kid back in school. Sickening.

Here is the New York Times writeup on the story...I couldn't find anything online where the kid was exonerated, just using my memory from following the case:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9805E5DA1038F932A15750C0A9649C8B63

One of my favorite stories are the ones where kids get expelled for carrying GI joe guns into school...you know, the ones like an inch long....because of zero tolerance.  And, of course, one might go off an injure another toy soldier nearby.

The lesson is don't let the pricks get away with anything.  Yell, rant, and scream, and threaten to hire the bigggest, meanest, baddest scumball attorney if you are getting taken advantage of, because unfortunately only this will get their attention  Sad thing about our society is that the squeekiest wheel gets the grease, and if you keep your mouth shut and play by the rules, you will be steamrolled under.  Imagine either of these kids lives if their parents had just stood meakly by and allowed their kid to be marched off to alternative school for the year.

I am very passionate about this because as a young child, I often drew pictures of tanks, soldiers and monsters during class in elementary school, an activity that often gets kids expelled now and sent to alternative education, if not psychiatric counseling.  I also suffered from horrible sinus headaches that required me to carry around a bottle of pain reliever during classes in high school (again an activity that would most likely result in expulsion if not worse nowadays).  Not to mention like Martin in 1981 I took an unloaded rifle to school for a one act play we were putting on in radio and TV class; I brought it to the security guard on campus so he could see it was unloaded, and he said it was ok.....!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:13 pm 

Very sad, Badmike.
What strikes me most about stuff like this is that people at my office read these emails and shake their heads and then relate stories of stuff that's happened to their kids at school.

Then at election time these very same people STILL vote for the nuttiest PC moonbat judges and politicians they can find on the list, who of course are exactly who's responsible for creating this kind of world.

And they just don't make the connection.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:38 pm 

Saw a link to this site of "Motivational RPG Posters" over at Yog-Sothoth.com and thought that a lot of people here would relate to this one.

http://www.geneticanomaly.com/RPG-Motiv ... ities.html

:D

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:00 pm 

Has anyone noticed their Money Market return in their Paypal account for January?  Dang, it was the lowest I've seen it by far.  Boo hiss! :(

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:29 pm 

Agent Cooper wrote:School 1967 vs. School 2007

1967: Liberal media does not exist (at least not in huge numbers) and Hollywierd has not yet taken over the hearts and minds of all of the family members. Kids would actually prefer to spend free time outside playing with friends, using thier imaginations to make up games, rather than sitting in front of the TV, or playing video games. And those Kids can still play in the neighborhood without too much concern for safety, other than the occasional skinned knee. Not many gang wars going on in the urban settings yet, though the biggest cities are already suffering from them.

2007: Liberal media is at its height. Current fashion is that everyone should be able to do as they please with little or no consequenses. Just knowing they've done wrong is punishment enough. Let the crimnals go free to terrorize YOUR neighborhood. The libs also try desperately and almost constanlty to take the sheeples guins away. Of course knowing full well that then only cirminals will have guns. After all, those crimnals seldom if ever venture into the rich upperclass areas which is where the libs live. So the cirminals go to the middle class areas so only the sheeple need fear them.

Kids are not allowed outside after dark (At least not by smart stay at home parents), unless they are members of the local gang.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:38 pm 

Funny that "Liberal Media" doesn't make the laws, the two houses of the Congress and the President do.   And here I was thinking that the Republicans were the ones who controlled both houses of the Congress for the 12 years consecutively going until the start of 2007 and the White House for the last 7.  Damn, I knew I must have been having a nightmare.  Maybe it was the "Liberal Media" controlled state goverments then...

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:44 pm 

Aneoth wrote:
1967: Liberal media does not exist (at least not in huge numbers) and Hollywierd has not yet taken over the hearts and minds of all of the family members. Kids would actually prefer to spend free time outside playing with friends, using thier imaginations to make up games, rather than sitting in front of the TV, or playing video games. And those Kids can still play in the neighborhood without too much concern for safety, other than the occasional skinned knee. Not many gang wars going on in the urban settings yet, though the biggest cities are already suffering from them.

2007: Liberal media is at its height. Current fashion is that everyone should be able to do as they please with little or no consequenses. Just knowing they've done wrong is punishment enough. Let the crimnals go free to terrorize YOUR neighborhood. The libs also try desperately and almost constanlty to take the sheeples guins away. Of course knowing full well that then only cirminals will have guns. After all, those crimnals seldom if ever venture into the rich upperclass areas which is where the libs live. So the cirminals go to the middle class areas so only the sheeple need fear them.

Kids are not allowed outside after dark (At least not by smart stay at home parents), unless they are members of the local gang.

Actually one good thing is that crime is actually DOWN now compared to 1967....talk about awful policies, the striking down of the death penalty and liberal application of crime laws at that time resulted in 3-5 year sentences for murderers, who often got out to do the same again.  Check big city crime records for, say, 1965-1975 and 1995-2005 (especially LA, New York, and Detroit) and it's astounding.  About ten times the violent crime, and triple the murders in any given year.  A "get tough on crime" mentality took ahold at the beginning of the Reagan era (although it had actually begun earlier, in 1979 or so) and laws were beefed up, and the "common man" got fed up with living in fear...sentences grew longer, parole was more difficult to get, and the death penalty was brought back. I just read a fascinating book on the subject..that I can't remember the name of!!!!  Must have been really fascinating, that or I'm losing it... :roll:

And actually I'd debate whether the "Liberal" media is at it's height now.  I mean, I remember reading editorials in Time magazine in the late 70s about what a great guy the Ayatollah Khomenii was...just "misunderstood"  8O

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:20 pm 

And actually I'd debate whether the "Liberal" media is at it's height now.  I mean, I remember reading editorials in Time magazine in the late 70s about what a great guy the Ayatollah Khomenii was...just "misunderstood"

Wasn't Hitler Time magazine's "Man of the Year" in the late 30's?

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:26 pm 

Badmike wrote:And actually I'd debate whether the "Liberal" media is at it's height now.  I mean, I remember reading editorials in Time magazine in the late 70s about what a great guy the Ayatollah Khomenii was...just "misunderstood"  8O

Mike B.

Maybe Time Magazine was right, after all Khomenii was responsible for fighting a long war (World War I style) against Sadaam's Iraq while the US was still Sadaam's friend (anybody see the video of Rumsfeld shaking hands with the man?)

Iran was the party invaded and was defending themselves. They were also calling for the overthrow of the Ba'ath regime. There was also not very much international protest at the time when Iraq was using mustard gas against the Iranian soldiers.

The complexity of the problems in the middle east makes my head spin.  :compress:

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:28 pm 

Time Magazine's "Person of the Year" is not necessarily meant to be an honor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Person_of_the_Year

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:01 pm 

Time Magazine's "Person of the Year" is not necessarily meant to be an honor:

I guess that would be true for the 2006 selection. Coug

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 92 of 111123 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 109110111