Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 9 of 111123 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:06 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:
It's a crime to collect different printings? I am in SOOOOOOO much trouble...
Kynan is actually quite a nice guy. It's eBay. The highest bidder wins. besides, brian, if you had gotten it on the cheap, you'd have just resold it, no?

No. Number of Ringbearers in my collection? Zero.  I only sell of what I have thats extra or what has zero interest to me.  And we will just have to agree to disagree about Kynan, he already had strike three against him looonnnngggg before he decided to win every Ringbearer on Ebay.

It does seem that both your opinion of him and your opinion on people who buy multiples of everything have changed over time though.  I guess that happens when you go from buying mode to selling mode.  Whatever. *shrugs*

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:25 am 

Yeah, Kynan is a nice guy.  Very friendly and nice to communicate with.  

And if I recall correctly, 1 of only 2 or 3 members here who actually donated something to Paul's benefit auction for Jeff Perren.

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:50 am 

Donated an ST1, right?  But he has three strikes against him?

Seriously Brian, you are the only one to find fault with Kynan . . . in this instance, you should trust the words of your friends and not what you "think" to be the truth.

You are wrong about him . . . and that is very sad, because he is probably the nicest and most generous RPG collector out there . . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:16 pm 

I've communicated with him a few times via email since he left the boards here.  Always extremely friendly.  I guess he doesn't even visit the site very often - if at all - anymore.  Too bad.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:50 pm 

This will be my last post on this subject as I am not going to belabor the point any further but I think maybe a refresher is in order.  Aside for the fact that not only did he lie about the frankensteined ST1 auction back last April, but after he got called out on it, instead of apologozing and moving on, he took his ball, went home and let other people hang around and try and defend his actions.

On top of that, it seems that everyone has already forgotten about the fact that he pulled the rug out on a number of people here several months ago on the James Binks auctions. I don't care what he offered him(which I still firmly believe was much less than the seller would have gotten if those auctions went to term) the fact is that he fucked about thirty other people here with his own selfish and self centered actions and for whatever reason some people still seem to think that he is okay. That's fine and that's your opinion, but I disagree completely and that is also my own option.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:31 pm 

bclarkie wrote:That's fine and that's your opinion, but I disagree completely and that is also my own option

I was reading Punisher War Journal #4 last night.  It was mostly a light-hearted, humorous wake for the "supervillain" Stilt-Man.

As Wikipedia says, "(Wilbur) Day's funeral was held in the Bar With No Name, and was attended by his fellow also-rans of the crime world. Sadness turned to remembrance, which turned into high spirits, which eventually led to a full-scale fight breaking out."

For better or worse, the bar-fight at the end reminds me of the Acaeum on an especially manic day.

And bclarkie, for better or worse,  is the Punisher.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:45 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:I was reading Punisher War Journal #4 last night.  It was mostly a light-hearted, humorous wake for the "supervillain" Stilt-Man.

Dude, spoilers!

No, I'm kidding; I know the issue has been out for a few days now. And, hey, talk about the potential for about 25 pages in the off-topic thread: let's get all of the comics collectors here to discuss their feelings about Marvel's Civil War event.  :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:31 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Dude, spoilers!

No, I'm kidding; I know the issue has been out for a few days now. And, hey, talk about the potential for about 25 pages in the off-topic thread: let's get all of the comics collectors here to discuss their feelings about Marvel's Civil War event.  :)

Spoilers?  Seriously, the events within the comic shouldn't come as a surprise until after the barfight.  The comic is both funny and sentimental until then.

Marvel Comic's Civil War - Wow, where to start . . . go to Wikipedia to get a feeling for the scope of it.

I bought a ton of comics that I didn't need to buy, so retailers made money.   However, the retailers are stuck with a ton of unsold issues, and I feel badly for them.

The writing wasn't as tight on the main Civil War as it could have been.  I only have issues 3 through 7, so I can't comment on 1 and 2.  Perhaps the writing was kept loose so the individual titles could show their own perspective of the events ala Kurosawa's Rashomon.

As for Marvel's Civil War Universe . . . it's dragged comic books into some semblance of the modern world.  The realization that America has been transformed from some idealized bastion of liberty to a trash-culture wasteland.  The battle between public security and individual freedoms.  The wants of the individual weighed against  the needs of the public.  The finality of deaths large and small, the machinations of the seen and unseen powers-that-be . . .

The Dark Knight and Watchmen did the same thing in a limited fashion in the '80s.  The real world has gotten even more distorted since then, and Civil War reflects it.

Civil War is a thinly-veiled commentary on the United States from September 2001 until the now.  Literal super-powered teams and armored security forces aren't stationed in every state, but their real-world counterparts are.  Is that good, or is that bad?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:55 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Dude, spoilers!

Civil War was a lot of fun to read.  The revelation to the public that Spider-Man is Peter Parker and then his realization that he was on the wrong side of the battle was probably the part of the storyline that I enjoyed the most.  His battle with Iron Man/Tony Stark was IMO the biggest event of the series.

The things I didnt like:  
1) Thor being cloned by Reed Richards.  Reed wouldnt be that stupid.
2) The return of the original Captain Marvel.  I just didnt get why they thought they needed to.
3) The New Thunderbolts.  Venom, Bullseye, Taskmaster, Lady Deathstrike and their shadowy leader Norman Osborn.  What a waste of good villians and I am sick of Norman Osborn being resurrected every couple of years or so.
4) Not nearly enough Sentry.
5) Penance.  Take a goofy superhero named Speedball, take away his ridiculous powers, put him through Hell, give him a new power, and then put him in a suit of armor that must have been designed by Rob Halford, the Marquis de Sade, and the tag team wrestlers The Road Warriors and now you have the dumbest pseudo-hero since Rocket Racer.  :roll:

All in all I thought it was a great series that by far outdid House of M and Infinite Crisis from last year.  But I honestly thought that it wasnt quite as good as Annihilation.  Of course I have always been a sucker for the cosmic storylines involving Thanos and the Silver Surfer.  Now that Thanos is truly dead I wonder how long it will be before they bring him back as one of the Thunderbolts?  :wink:

On a different OT note....I was able to get tickets to The Police concert yesterday.  I've been waiting over 20 years for those bastards to get back together so I can see them perform together at least once before I die.  :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:40 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:On a different OT note....I was able to get tickets to The Police concert yesterday.  I've been waiting over 20 years for those bastards to get back together so I can see them perform together at least once before I die.  :D

Really?  That's wierd because the local Police call me up every other month or so trying to get me to buy tickets to the Shriner's Circus.  Wierd.  8O

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:04 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
Really?  That's wierd because the local Police call me up every other month or so trying to get me to buy tickets to the Shriner's Circus.  Wierd.  8O

Keep telling yourself that Mark.  They are on to you...just waiting for you to slip up.  :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:27 pm 

Well, BC won my Orange B3 auction and paid about a minute after the auction end - cheers Brian.

I now have to commision one of my children to draw the orange - and knowing the mercenary little sods as I do - there goes my profit!!!

Hey ho - It was a bit of harmless fun - so who's next? :D

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:31 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Civil War was a lot of fun to read.  The revelation to the public that Spider-Man is Peter Parker and then his realization that he was on the wrong side of the battle was probably the part of the storyline that I enjoyed the most.  His battle with Iron Man/Tony Stark was IMO the biggest event of the series.

The things I didnt like:  
1) Thor being cloned by Reed Richards.  Reed wouldnt be that stupid.
2) The return of the original Captain Marvel.  I just didnt get why they thought they needed to.
3) The New Thunderbolts.  Venom, Bullseye, Taskmaster, Lady Deathstrike and their shadowy leader Norman Osborn.  What a waste of good villians and I am sick of Norman Osborn being resurrected every couple of years or so.
4) Not nearly enough Sentry.
5) Penance.  Take a goofy superhero named Speedball, take away his ridiculous powers, put him through Hell, give him a new power, and then put him in a suit of armor that must have been designed by Rob Halford, the Marquis de Sade, and the tag team wrestlers The Road Warriors and now you have the dumbest pseudo-hero since Rocket Racer.  :roll:

A funny thing happened on the way to the Civil War....apparantly they had to think on their feet and change it up a little. According to various interviews and trade mags, the writers/creators started out thinking everyone would be firmly in the "Captain America" camp of "status quo, heroes shouldn't have to register". Instead what they found was more readers in the "Iron Man/Reed Richards" camp of "Let's start enforcing the law and make these guys register".  This was even after they delibertly made the "government" camp very unsympathetic with their over the top "guantanamo bay" type prison, then the conscription process.  But apparantly, even comic book geek fans realize a "real" world of unregestered, unregulated, and out of control super powered beings would collapse into chaos. I mean, how many people would really stll be living in "Marvel" new york city as it's trashed every other day by warring criminals and superheros?  Lobbyists, politicians and business billionaires would have gotten together long ago and passed laws forcing registration and regulation.
 I think most of the writers working the concept thought "we" the comic reader would be appalled at the locking up of unregulated heros that get treated worse than the crappiest supervillain.  In reality, if Marvel comics world existed, we as regular people would get sick of having the crap scared out of us every day as Dr. Octopus and Spiderman throw cars at each other over our heads.  I just hope the writers have the guts to stay with the ending they crafted and see where it takes them.  It's about time comics grew up and started reflecting a little of the real world in their pages, and in reality there would be no freaking way our government would let unregulated superbeings run around like freaks on speed.

1.  And where the hell is the real Thor?  We saw him grab back his hammer in the pages of FF a few months back.  Did he just sit this one out?  Interesting to see how the balance of power will shift when he finally comes back...and when the Hulk comes back to Earth also.
2.  Captain Marvel was one of the only "good" deaths Marvel ever did...and they went ahead and ruined it. Nice.
3.  As far as I'm concerned, Osborn died way back in the pages of ASM #122...the best death, besides that of Gwen Stacy, that Marvel ever did.
4.  I hate the Sentry. They have no idea what to do with him.  Sort of like when Thor was in the Avengers, and they had to fight Zodiac, and Thor should just be able to swing his hammer and wipe out all twelve of them, but no he would be caught wrestling the Bull and Crab guy instead. Sheesh.  
5.  Could they made another character that appealed to the growing readership of S&M fanatics more than Penance/Speedball?

On a different OT note....I was able to get tickets to The Police concert yesterday.  I've been waiting over 20 years for those bastards to get back together so I can see them perform together at least once before I die.  :D

This will be the first concert I've seen in awhile...I expect for once the audience will actually be my age!!!!!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:02 am 

The main Civil War series had one problem: it was written by Mark Millar, who not only hates the United States in general, but is a self-promoting hack of the worst order.

The secondary Civil War/Front Line series had one problem: it was written by Paul Jenkins, who has no ear at all for dialogue; plus, he lost the plot, anyway, about halfway through. Also, he created the Sentry, the most ridiculous comic book character of the modern age.

The most ironic thing about the entire CW spectrum, though, is that most of the tie-ins with other titles were much better than the main series. New Avengers, Black Panther, Captain America, and Cable/Deadpool were particularly good.

Kingofpain89 wrote:and now you have the dumbest pseudo-hero since Rocket Racer.

Okay, no one makes fun of Rocket Racer while I'm around! Am I the only one who sees that he was not an attempt to cash in on the skateboarding craze of the late '70s, but was clearly a deep, passionate character with complex ... oh, never mind. I can't keep a straight face; he was an idiot. Along with whoever at Marvel was responsible for him.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:15 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:
Okay, no one makes fun of Rocket Racer while I'm around! Am I the only one who sees that he was not an attempt to cash in on the skateboarding craze of the late '70s, but was clearly a deep, passionate character with complex ... oh, never mind. I can't keep a straight face; he was an idiot. Along with whoever at Marvel was responsible for him.

[ Image ]

One word, brothers: Hypno-Hustler.  Not only a lame attempt to somehow cash in on the 70's disco craze, but....oh hell, never mind. That's all he was, and a badly written attempt at that. I've never seen a character that reads more like a mandate from the powers above "The kids are CRAZY about this disco stuff....let's have a character?  Ok, around the room, what have you got????"

http://the-isb.blogspot.com/2006/05/profiles-in-courage-hypno-hustler.html

Mike B

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:43 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Donated an ST1, right?  But he has three strikes against him?

Seriously Brian, you are the only one to find fault with Kynan . . . in this instance, you should trust the words of your friends and not what you "think" to be the truth.

You are wrong about him . . . and that is very sad, because he is probably the nicest and most generous RPG collector out there . . .

sorry to sound like a dork, but who is kynan?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:52 am 

Badmike wrote:It's about time comics grew up and started reflecting a little of the real world in their pages, and in reality there would be no freaking way our government would let unregulated superbeings run around like freaks on speed.

I agree, but when the government finishes controlling the superpowered beings, what happens to the normal people?  Will citizens be controlled by both the government and super-teams?  I'd rather have much less of the police state and more of the random mayhem.  The price of freedom as opposed to the price of security . . .

Remember the Punisher one-shot where he kills every costume in the Marvel Universe?  The government should hire him to keep heroes in line.  No need for anything beyond him.   :D
2. Captain Marvel was one of the only "good" deaths Marvel ever did...and they went ahead and ruined it. Nice.

I refuse to believe that Mar-vell is back.  In my version of reality, he is at best a clone.
5. Could they made another character that appealed to the growing readership of S&M fanatics more than Penance/Speedball?

Sing it with me --- "Being self-mutilating means never having to say you're sorry . . ."  He went from being a drug-reference footnote to being a character like I've never seen before.  Holy pain, Batman --- this is how that goofy Speedball ends up?  He may not last, but he's definitely a change.

Last edited by JohnGaunt on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:53 am 

killjoy32 wrote:sorry to sound like a dork, but who is kynan?

:D

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 9 of 111123 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 109110111