Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 88 of 111123 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:52 am 

Let me first say this:  Congratulations to the Giants.  They deserved it.  They played better and wanted to win that game more than the Cowboys did.  That has been pretty obvious the past four weeks.

Second....the sad thing about it all is the Cowboys beat themselves more than anything the Giants did.  Penalties and stupid mistakes did them in more than anything else.  I can't remember the last time I saw that many fights break out in one game.

It is a bit ironic in that I told my wife earlier in the day that the Cowboys would find a way to lose the game and it would probably end with Romo throwing an interception.  Go figure.

To Agent Cooper:  I guess Giants fans have to find something to throw in the face of Cowboy fans but I am a bit disappointed you couldnt come up with anything better.  I thought Owens crying to the media was a bit ridiculous myself but I am a lot happier about it than him ripping Romo and the rest of the team like he did in Philly.  And Romo is a quality quarterback that in his first full year has played better than pretty much every quarterback in the NFL with the exception of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.  He is going to continue to get better while everyone (except Giants fans apparently) knows that Eli will continue his mediocrity for the rest of his career.  :P

At least one good thing came from this past weekends NFL games.  Brett Favre and the Packers will play in the NFC Championship at chilly Lambeau Field and have a chance to bring the Lombardi trophy back to where it belongs before hanging up the uniform for good.  8)

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:41 pm 

Eli is a train wreck, as is Rivers. There's no reason for GB and NE to NOT be going at it for the Lombardi.
And Indy fans finally showed the class we all knew they had. There aren't many stadiums where that would have happened.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:48 pm 

Agent Cooper wrote:Has anybody ever played the board game "RuneBound?"  If so, any recommendations?

It looks cool.  I might like to pick it up for my game group to try, but I don't know anything about it.  Any of you guys ever play it?

Yuppers.   Great game, but it can tend to drag out late into the evening.   We have fun everytime we play.   I can't recommend the "Midnight" Runebound Expansion enough.   Nice tie into the d20 Midnight campaign.

Let's git to killin'!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:25 pm 

Thanks kindly Guido.  Just wanted to hear from an Acaeum member for a reliable review, cuz we're all gamers here.   :D

Kingofpain:  Yeah, I'm pretty bad at trash talking.  All kidding aside, yes, my G-men did good.  Will we surprise everybody again and beat GB?  Not likely, but who knows?  We certainly weren't supposed to beat Dallas.

I wonder where Badmike is?  I thought he'd have been here by now to get all riled up and  flame me up one side and down the other.   :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:26 pm 

Agent Cooper wrote:Thanks kindly Guido.  Just wanted to hear from an Acaeum member for a reliable review, cuz we're all gamers here.   :D

Kingofpain:  Yeah, I'm pretty bad at trash talking.  All kidding aside, yes, my G-men did good.  Will we surprise everybody again and beat GB?  Not likely, but who knows?  We certainly weren't supposed to beat Dallas.

I wonder where Badmike is?  I thought he'd have been here by now to get all riled up and  flame me up one side and down the other.   :D

Nah, the Giants won, what can you say. Besides, I can't work a scenario in my head that has the Giants winning next week against a fired up Packers team at Lambeau, so it was a nice ride while it lasted.  It's past time for Eli to play to form...although I do find it quite funny that HE"S the Manning brother that will be playing next week, and not Peyton...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:46 pm 

As for that booing Indy crowd to the girl..People seem to do that for all of those that I've watched throughout the years...I was waiting for a kid with an Indy jersey because crowds in the past have cheered for local kids..so it is not just the Indy crowd.

oh and... Go Pack Go!

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:38 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:ps. oh yeah, you americans regard the world as yours dont you :D

Actually, yes.

The Cowboys picked a horrible time to start committing mental errors.  Kill your own drives....sounds like the Seahawks...oh...wait....

The Giants are to be commended for keeping their spirits up and their heads in the game.

With the demise of the Colts, the Patriots look pretty much like really, really odds-on favorites to win it all.  As a Cowboys fan, I wouldn't really have liked to watch Dallas blow the Super Bowl.

Two good things could come of this:

Green Bay could defeat the Patriots, slay evil, and Brett Favre could go out as a storybook winner....

(Which would mean we'd have to endure more smarmy worship of Brett Favre and all the "Title Town" crap and general nonsense about the town of Green Bay and how special they all are.)

The Patriots could win the Super Bowl and Junior Seau will finally be a world champion and we can finally stop hearing all the sloppy crap about Miami and their perfect freakin' season from a thousand years ago before they were a joke (including the Marino years).

(Which would mean we'd have to endure an entire year about what a great guy Tom Brady is and listen to all the goofy tripe about the Patriots' "system" and deal with an entire year of their coach and his villany rewarded.)

Or...the Chargers could win.

So...there you have it.  (People pay money for analysis like this, you know.)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:44 pm 

Plaag wrote:As for that booing Indy crowd to the girl..People seem to do that for all of those that I've watched throughout the years...I was waiting for a kid with an Indy jersey because crowds in the past have cheered for local kids..so it is not just the Indy crowd.

oh and... Go Pack Go!

ShaneG.

Yeah, that was a classy moment indeed.  I think Peyton Manning should try to work that into his next commercial.  I had to check the score card...thought the game must be in philadelphia.

However, as I am also a Seahawk's booster....could any team more reflect the character of their home city than the Seahawks?  No guts.  No mental toughness.  No ability to rise above themselves.  There you have it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:10 pm 

I'm still not sure why the Seagulls were in the playoffs............

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:15 am 

Touching on the massive implosion of the sports card and comics industry in the early 1990s, which we've bandied about a bit from time to time, here's a pretty decent article about that era (mostly from the comics standpoint):

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=28

It's a good read, with some interesting history, and should be of interest to anyone who has ever been a collector of any sort of pop culture. I found it revealing that more than one source pointed to the exact month that the comics industry began its death-spiral.

Last edited by Xaxaxe on Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:26 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:Touching on the massive implosion of the sports card and comics industry in the early 1990s, which we've bandied about a bit from time to time, here's a pretty decent article about that era (mostly from the comics standpoint):

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=28

It's a good read, with some interesting history, and should be of interest to anyone who has ever been a collector of any sort of pop culture. I found it revelaing that more than one source pointed to the exact month that the comics industry began its death-spiral.

Wow, what a great article.  I remember every bit of it:  The over-ordering of product, the "instant collectibles" such as Death of Superman, every Valiant #1, Batman's back broken, etc;  The comic book print runs of a million copies (nowadays, a very successful comic MIGHT have a print run of 200,000, but most are under 100,000 copies); the jackass baseball card sellers who jumped into comics with the same lack of customer service and appreciation they showed peddling cards, the speculation at the time that Marvel would go under after the Heroe's World fiasco, etc. I worked quite a few comic book conventions in the 1990-1995 era, the stories I could tell.

I still remember seeing the end coming in the summer of 1993; the few conventions I worked in the spring and summer of that year had the stink of desperation all over them, as dealers tried to move unsellable product for ANYTHING; I've told the story elsewhere of the guy trying to move Valiant and Image comics by the caseload for a dime a comic, and having to throw them all in dumpsters when he didn't have any takers.  The area I live in went from about a dozen comic shops to about 3 in just six months time.  For awhile, I was making good money buying speculator's collections by the box for 5 cents a comic, and bringing them to cons to sell for 50 cents a comic. Some of the last few cons I worked, I came up with "The Last Idiot" principle: The Last Idiot was the one holding the overpriced comic book when the value finally plummeted to what it should be.  I did everything I could not to be the last idiot, and sold/traded a ton of now-worthless Valiant comics to dealers who didn't see the handwriting on the wall, sometimes actually getting Silver age comics in the deal.

I don't consider myself a great businessman, but I always pat myself on the back when I remember that I got out of comics speculation at exactly the right time.  Another few months, I'd still have boxes of Valiant, Image and others crowding me out of my home...

Mike b.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:29 am 

I'm glad I missed all that craziness.  I didn't start collecting until about five years ago.  I bought what I wanted off of eBay, mostly by buying fairly big collections, cherry picking what I wanted, and then selling back on eBay what I didn't want.  I now have a nine long box collection I am proud of.  Uncanny X-Men 94-450, Fantastic Four 90-416, Classic Illustrated 1-169, Avengers 190-402, Ultimate X-Men 1-84, and lots more.  Nothing really amazingly valuable, but it's stuff I like to read and will read to my kids.  And one day, if I am lucky, the market will go crazy again, and I'll have made a tidy profit.  

And I anticipate that this could very well happen.  Maybe not to the same degree as before, but it's possible.  With all the recent releases of comic book-themed movies and graphic novels becoming more popular at Barnes & Nobles, the interest appears to be rising.  The thing concerning me most short-term is the housing-induced recession possibility.  If a recession hits, people will hold onto their cash.  The thing concerning me the most long-term is the recent development of the web-sites that sell web-viewable comics on-line.  Collections will be on CD's/DVD's instead of on paper.  Paper could become passe.  Still, whether it happens or not, I have a collection I enjoy, and that's the main reason I buy a collectible anyway. :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:13 am 

Plaag wrote:As for that booing Indy crowd to the girl...

Yeah, that reminded me of another occasion when a brutal mob went after a little girl...  

She's balling and the dem supporters keep laughing at her, shouting sneers.  Typical.

bonk!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:17 pm 

bonk! wrote:
Yeah, that reminded me of another occasion when a brutal mob went after a little girl...  

[ Image ]

She's balling and the dem supporters keep laughing at her, shouting sneers.  Typical.

bonk!

The father, Phil Parlock, is a publicity hound who staged the confrontation to get on radio shows.  Shame on him for purposely putting his daughter through his pathological need for "trauma."     

Phil Parlock information

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:13 pm 

VermilionFire wrote:
The father, Phil Parlock, is a publicity hound who staged the confrontation to get on radio shows.  Shame on him for purposely putting his daughter through his pathological need for "trauma."     

Phil Parlock information

So, it doesn't matter what the Democrat supporters in the crowd actually did...that they felt justified in their behavior because they are good and Republicans are evil...

All that matters is that Parlock set them up to show their true colors?

I don't give Parlock high marks for carrying his daughter into a hostile crowd.  That doesn't change what those around him actually did.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:03 am 

Fear of Girls clips.  First one:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7821122670

Second one.  Not quite as funny as the first one but still a darn good laugh:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 2616325162

Outtakes from the first video:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?u ... fGirls&p=r

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:42 am 

FormCritic wrote:
So, it doesn't matter what the Democrat supporters in the crowd actually did...that they felt justified in their behavior because they are good and Republicans are evil...

All that matters is that Parlock set them up to show their true colors?

I don't give Parlock high marks for carrying his daughter into a hostile crowd.  That doesn't change what those around him actually did.

How horrible!  They tore up his little sign and actually had the nerve to laugh at him.  Boo friggin' hoo... they probably picked him last for kickball during gym too!  
Give me a break, the same thing would have happened if the situation were reverse...
There are many examples including three teachers from Oregon wearing t-shirts that read "protect our civil liberties" that were kicked out and threatened with arrest at a Bush campaign rally in 2004.  Ironic, eh?  

If Parlock is not man enough to take the light abuse that comes with taking a contrary opinion at an opposing party's political rally then he's not much of a man... even worse that he had to hide behind his little daughter and set up a publicity stunt with a friendly photographer to shoot the spectacle.  The opprobrium should be on Parlock, not on the typical partisan mob, whether it be Democratic or Republican or whatever.  He wasn't hurt or hit, he wasn't arrested, he wasn't cursed at, he wasn't kicked out, nothing was thrown at him... he just had his little sign torn and he was laughed at, which was probably at lot less than he wanted to happen... again, go ahead and cry me a river...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:14 am 

VermilionFire wrote:If Parlock is not man enough...

ahem... the off-topic at hand is crowds ganging up on little girls.

bonk!

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 88 of 111123 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 109110111