Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 86 of 111123 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:57 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
So Martin...exactly which school do you root for the most?  Or is it that you just root for the Big Ten in general, not caring who wins as long as someone does.  Does this mean that you would pull for Purdue, Northwestern, or Iowa?  Or does it have to do with proximity?  If so, wouldnt you be better off cheering for Pitt, Kentucky, or Cincinnati?

Just curious since I guess I think completely the opposite.  The only Big 12 team I pull for is Texas.  I despise Texas A&M and Oklahoma.  I hope they lose to everyone especially Texas.  I dont really care for Texas Tech, Nebraska, or any other Big 12 team either.  I did think it cool that Kansas beat Va. Tech though simply because they have never really amounted to anything as it pertains to football.  I felt the same way about Boise St. and Rutgers last year when they had successful seasons.

Other than Texas...Michigan is the only other school I normally root for.  I have been a Michigan fan as long as I can remember and pull for them in basketball as well.  It helps that my father-in-law is an alumni.  If I was an Ohio St. fan he would probably hate me.  :wink:

And you cant feel too badly about the Appalachian St. loss at the beginning of the year.  They won the NCAA division 1 national title for the third straight year.

I don't really root for any Texas teams....and it's way too fun when OU or UT loses and the fans start the wailing and gnashing of teeth.  The cheapest and most entertaining show in town is the day after the annual UT/OU Red River Shootout at the Cotton Bowl....when one of these teams is guaranteed to lose.  The fans of the losing team are too funny to imagine as they leave town in a morose wagon train....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:58 pm 

For the non-american football (i.e. soccer) fans .. who do you support?

for me it the mighty Brentford FC, & We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland
I think red_bus is Charlton Athletic FC

anyone else prepared to nail their colours to the mast?

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:00 am 

Badmike wrote:
The funniest thing for a Giant hater like me is that now Coughlin is guaranteed to come back and ruin that team another year since he got them to the playoffs. Eli is so overmanned in the NFL it's not funny, they have already lost Shockey, their best receiveing threat, and now another four starters. The Buccs should hammer them....

I think the Seahawks will finally burst the Redskins bubble next week, emotion can only carry you so far, Collins has a reason no team has started him at QB in ten years. So it should be Seahawks at Packers, and Cowboys vs the Buccs.  Still looks like a Packers vs Cowboys NFC championship instant classic showdown.

In the AFC, the Titans are going down quick and early vs the Chargers. The Jags are the surprise team of the year and I'm not going to be shocked to see them move on vs the Steelers. But really, is there any doubt there will be a Colts/Pats showdown inthe championship game?  Another instant classic.

Mike B.

Halfway there....

I never had a doubt on the Redskins game...Collins proved he was a career backup, the Hawks blitzed him early and often and messed him up. The Skins did come back late and went ahead, but the Seahawks quickly disposed of them after a few Collins miscues. At least now we no longer have to hear about Sean Taylor anymore during the playoffs...geez that was getting old...like the Skins were the only team in the history of football to have tragedy motivate them.  And, I won two cases of beer from Redskins fans.  Boo-yaa!!!

The Jags/Steelers game wasn't the blowout I predicted.....a pretty damn good game that went down to the final seconds.  The Steelers as predicted really missed Willie Parker, Davenport can't hold his jock strap, and Big Ben looked immobile and out of sorts, tossing interceptions and being sacked at will. Still, it did come down to a last minute FG by the Jags, and the 3 INTS tossed by Ben. Should be an interesting matchup in the AFC next week should the Chargers win as expected.....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:28 am 

Badmike wrote:
Halfway there....

I never had a doubt on the Redskins game.

The Jags/Steelers game wasn't the blowout I predicted..... Still, it did come down to a last minute FG by the Jags, and the 3 INTS tossed by Ben.

Mike B.

As a Seahawk watcher I certainly had my doubts.  Just before the game I told my buddy 17-10 Redskins.  When the Skins went for that fieldgoal in the 4th quarter, my prediction was about to come true.  The miss...and subsequent collapse...was a nice example of a momentum shift.

The Steelers almost won on yet another incredibly bad call.  Was anyone else watching the Steelers receiver dragging the  defender by his facemask on that crucial 4th down play...that let the Steelers get four more downs and the go-ahead score?

After the game, I simply had to pause the TV on the stricken faces of a few Steelers fans.  They've got a mother load of Karma still comin' back at 'em.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:32 am 

You didn't want to be in the same room as me when those shitheads flagged the defender. I didn't care either way who won, but when the back judge is 10 years away and, ON CAMERA, looking at a four-step facemask drag, you have to start wondering if it's the National Fixed League.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:58 am 

These are the regular officiating crews..next week and there after it becomes the best of the bunch so these mistakes shall be minimized hopefully.  Course you wouldn't be able to convince a Seahawk fan of that anymore.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:29 am 

FormCritic wrote:
The Steelers almost won on yet another incredibly bad call.  Was anyone else watching the Steelers receiver dragging the  defender by his facemask on that crucial 4th down play...that let the Steelers get four more downs and the go-ahead score?

After the game, I simply had to pause the TV on the stricken faces of a few Steelers fans.  They've got a mother load of Karma still comin' back at 'em.

One of the worst officiating mistakes I've seen this year. I don't think the back judge was in the right position to see the play, and just decided to give it to the home team so the Steeler's fans wouldn't throw stuff at him.  But really could have flat out won the game for the Steelers, if Garrard doesn't make that amazing run later on the 4th and two.  

As a Cowboys fan it was nice to know the Cowboys will be gunning for their 6th superbowl while the Steelers won't this year...

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:54 pm 

Well seems like the teams with better winning records have been winning the playoff games..course this trend will have to be broken or NE will take it all.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:37 pm 

If you get the chance to see a replay from the end zone camera, you'll see a ref on the 15 or so. He STARES right at the whole play, and Ward's hand was right in front of him.
Sad.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:14 pm 

Plaag wrote:These are the regular officiating crews..next week and there after it becomes the best of the bunch so these mistakes shall be minimized hopefully.  Course you wouldn't be able to convince a Seahawk fan of that anymore.

ShaneG.

No, you wouldn't.

The penalty on the Jacksonville defender was a nice example of what happened in the Super Bowl  It is called, "forming a picture."

The ref had a "picture" in his head of what might happen in the end zone.  He made a call that fit with the picture.

I have to admit that when I saw the play I assumed the defender was guilty.  Only the replay showed different.  The ref, however, was much closer to the game and had a much better angle.  Unfortunately, he was also in a stadium, only a few feet from a rabidly pro-Pittsburgh crowd....which is exactly what happened several times in that infamous Super Bowl.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:17 pm 

Badmike wrote:
One of the worst officiating mistakes I've seen this year. I don't think the back judge was in the right position to see the play, and just decided to give it to the home team so the Steeler's fans wouldn't throw stuff at him.  But really could have flat out won the game for the Steelers, if Garrard doesn't make that amazing run later on the 4th and two.  

As a Cowboys fan it was nice to know the Cowboys will be gunning for their 6th superbowl while the Steelers won't this year...

Mike B.

I am not sanguine of the Cowboys' chances.  I doubt they will even get to the Super Bowl.  Even if they do, they will face one of two AFC teams with the power to defeat them.  The Boys may be gunning for their 4th loss rather than their 6th win.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:03 am 

FormCritic wrote:
I am not sanguine of the Cowboys' chances.  I doubt they will even get to the Super Bowl.  Even if they do, they will face one of two AFC teams with the power to defeat them.  The Boys may be gunning for their 4th loss rather than their 6th win.

I like the chances vs the Giants at home and the Pack at home, actually.  I think way, way too many observors opinions have been poisoned by that god awful last game of the season, where everyone was trying to not get hurt and didn't even want to be there.  A lot of people picked the Skins because of their dismantling of the Cowboys that game, and they got steamrolled by the Seahawks.

You just want to get the superbowl, in case Brady breaks his hand patting a supermodel on the butt the day before the game...

The last few years there have been quite a few underdogs who pulled off an upset.  The two most surprising the last few years were the Pats over the Rams, and the Broncos over the Packers. In both cases you could look high and low and not find anyone giving any sorts of odds on the eventual winners in those contests. In Superbowl 32, the Broncos were 11 pt dogs, with the Packers having won the superbowl the year before, Favre garnering the MVP, and having destroyed their two playoff opponents in the weeks leading up to the game.  In the Rams/Pats game (Superbowl 36) the Pats were a huge dog, as the Rams had the league's best offense, the MVP (Warner) and Offensive player of the year (Faulk).

Once again the league's best offense, with the league MVP, will face off against some team that will be a heavy dog.....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:01 am 

I didn't expect the Steelers to win on Saturday (even before the game started  :D ), but I'll tell you, I was damned impressed with that comeback.  You could almost feel the momentum of tradition and history behind them in the second half.  It's funny, being both a Steelers fan (lifelong) and an Eagles fan (only recently), the difference you feel watching those two teams in important games.  With the Steelers, you never give up hope (belief), but with the Eagles, you go into every important game with an unshakable sense of hopelessness  :D .

Anyway, the Chargers - Titans game sucked.  I'm looking forward to a Packers-Patriots Super Bowl.  I'm behind the Packers all the way, but have gotten to the point now that a loss to the Patriots might be symbolically fitting, having Favre in some way pass the torch to Brady (though I hate that joyless patsy, and he'll never mean for any team what Favre has meant for GB).

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:27 am 

bombadil wrote:I didn't expect the Steelers to win on Saturday (even before the game started  :D ), but I'll tell you, I was damned impressed with that comeback.  You could almost feel the momentum of tradition and history behind them in the second half.  It's funny, being both a Steelers fan (lifelong) and an Eagles fan (only recently), the difference you feel watching those two teams in important games.  With the Steelers, you never give up hope (belief), but with the Eagles, you go into every important game with an unshakable sense of hopelessness  :D .

Anyway, the Chargers - Titans game sucked.  I'm looking forward to a Packers-Patriots Super Bowl.  I'm behind the Packers all the way, but have gotten to the point now that a loss to the Patriots might be symbolically fitting, having Favre in some way pass the torch to Brady (though I hate that joyless patsy, and he'll never mean for any team what Favre has meant for GB).

The Eagles are quite simply the Lovable Losers of the NFC...although, replace Lovable with whatever harsh adjective you can, it's closer to the truth.  Just think how it is to be a fan of a team in a divison whose other three teams have won TEN SUPERBOWLS combined...and have nothing to show for it except a couple of choke jobs in the big game.  It breed an inferiority complex unlike any other..hell, it almost breeds a defeatism, as you say, that leads the fans and team itself to expect the worse.

This is truly one of those teams that people love to hate not because of any particular player, or owner, or coach...but because of the fan base, who can be as fickle, mercurial, and unforgiving as a thunderstorm in spring. Hatred of Eagles fans can be summed up by the guy I used to know who on his website had written "Celebrating XXXXX years since the Eagles have won a game that meant anything (referring to their 1960 championship; he updated it every season).  

In contrast, the Steelers, like the other teams in the NFC east who have won superbowls numerous times. always seem to be in the thick of things even if they are out of the playoffs for awhile.  The Steelers will be contenders as long as Big Ben is there...it's amazing how organizations like the Cowboys and Steelers just seem to have something that allows them to come back successfully, time and again, decade after decade, even if they are god awful for a time....

Packers-Pats would in interesting....I'd be rooting for the old man to take that punk kid to the woodshed..

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:47 am 

Favre lost every ounce of respect I had for him. Not only did he decide to keep playing football while his wife fights breast cancer, but he led the Packers on to the point where they couldn't realistically get anyone else.
There is every chance the Pats won't make it to the Bowl. Anything can happen. They are, undoubtedly, the best team ever, IF you look at the team at the start of the year. People tend to forget that insignificant player that got taken out for the year quite some time ago. Sammy Morris. Had he survived, no one would stand a chance.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:56 am 

bombadil wrote:Anyway, the Chargers - Titans game sucked.  I'm looking forward to a Packers-Patriots Super Bowl.  I'm behind the Packers all the way, but have gotten to the point now that a loss to the Patriots might be symbolically fitting, having Favre in some way pass the torch to Brady (though I hate that joyless patsy, and he'll never mean for any team what Favre has meant for GB).

:D

It is always fun to watch Favre, so I can only hope I have at least 3 more games to watch with him, if not another season.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:07 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Favre lost every ounce of respect I had for him. Not only did he decide to keep playing football while his wife fights breast cancer, but he led the Packers on to the point where they couldn't realistically get anyone else.

Seriously, that's the argument...you put his wife in with that. She's told Brett he should keep playing, which really wasn't even an issue back in 2004 when she was diagnosed (and has been cancer free from 2005 on).

I can see the indecision as turning some people off, but they had QBs if he had retired.  The rumblings about getting people have been mostly towards the GM, his picks have seemed odd, but strangely we've gotten good talent for cheap outside the draft.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:15 am 

Yeah, Rodgers did surprisingly well.  I didn't expect that.  I was thinking more along the lines of Majkowski...please, never again.

Let mirth prevail!

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 86 of 111123 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 109110111