Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 86 of 111123 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:12 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Badmike wrote:
 I distinctly remember the 1990 Cotton Bowl where the Canes played UT and hammered them unmercifully 46-3.

That's actually a historic game, although many don't realize it.

That game (1991, BTW, although following the 1990 season), more than any other, led to the current NCAA rules regarding "excessive celebrations," taunting, and other limitations.

For anyone who didn't see it ... well, it was ugly. I stopped watching after a while and I was a pretty fanatic football fan. Miami went totally OTT in celebrating every first down, every big hit, and every Texas miscue. And they were all posing on the sidelines for the cameras (CBS, I think), flashing gang signs, etc.

Which was another interesting issue: almost without exception, the most out-of-control players were blacks. They just were; there's no arguing it. But when the NCAA began to limit celebrating and taunting, some civil rights groups became upset that the rules were"targeting" blacks. It was a hot-button issue for a year or so, but, thankfully, the NCAA showed some backbone and basically said, "These rules affect all players, regardless of race." After a few months, the whole debate sort of just went away.

I think that game set a bowl record for penalty yardage ... or maybe it was a record for personal-foul penalties (Miami had like eight calls for either roughing or unsportsmanlike conduct). Either way, it was disastrous: it was a poor reflection on Miami, the Cotton Bowl, and the state of the college game at the time. Miami was hardly the only team from that era doing way too much posing and preening.

The game broke the Cotton Bowl penalty record at halftime...and by the end, the Canes had set the still unbroken all time bowl penalty record with 202 yards.  Ironically, or not, I blame the coach Erickson for most of the mayhem.  That idiot had completely lost control of his squad and didn't care. With the game well out of reach by halftime, he should have sat the most ridiculous offenders and played the backups the rest of the way.....not that it would have mattered, UT was done by the third quarter, and wasn't coming back.  It was undoubtedly the most thugged up college football game of all time.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:17 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Real quick, for the record: I've had nothing but good experiences with football fans from Texas. They tend to be knowledgeable without being obnoxious about it ... and they like food and drink. Nothing wrong with that.

One example: I actually sat in a mixed, but pro-Texas section for the 2000 Holiday Bowl, proudly wearing the green and gold of the Oregon Ducks. The Texas fans were great, even with their huge disappointment at the end (wide-open Texas receivers dropped not one, but two, game-winning passes in the final minute ... it was surreal). And the Texas band was frickin' awesome!

If only the same could be said for fans from many other areas. Yes, I'm talking to you, Oklahoma fans ... you insufferable morons. And you, too, three-quarters of the SEC ...

Oklahoma football fans can be severely obnoxious...I will grant you that.  But not all of them are bad.  Take the 1996 Red River Shootout for example.  A few of my friends and I had been taking the yearly pilgrimage to Dallas from Amarillo, TX every year since 1991.  We had been unable to get tickets to the game the previous five years but were finally able to get tickets to the game in '96.  The only problem was that we got the tickets from an OU alumni.  So the four of us get there all dressed in burnt orange and white and we were sitting in a sea of crimson and cream.  The feeling may have been similar to being drenched in chum and then thrown overboard in shark-infested waters.  Needless to say it was an intimidating experience.  Most of the OU fans heckled us, gave us a hard time, and even a few cussed at us during the game...especially when UT scored.  OU came back from a sizable deficit and tied up the game to force overtime.  Texas settled for a field goal and then Oklahoma answered with a touchdown to seal the win.  I'm not sure if you can imagine the noise when that TD was scored...it was deafening.  We wanted to leave but at that moment it was physically impossible with the screaming, jumping throng of barbaric Sooner fans barring the nearest exit.  So we just sat there until everything died down.

But I remember now that I was attempting to defend a couple of Sooner fans.  During the game we met an elderly gentleman and his son that were sitting next to us.  Come to find out, the older man had graduated from OU back in the 40's.  He seemed to know the names of every player that had ever played for OU.  He regaled us with stories of all the great Sooner players through the years.  And to our astonishment, he also talked about a lot of the great Texas players and coaches as well.  He had met or was friends with numerous players and coaches over the years such as Darrell Royal, Barry Switzer, Bud Wilkinson, Steve Owens, and others.  And he had attended every Texas-OU game since college and proclaimed that he didnt plan on stopping any time soon.

As the cheers died down and the masses exited the Cotton Bowl, his son helped him up, gave him his cane, and picked up his oxygen bottle.  As they left the row we were sitting in he told us "Good luck next year boys.  It was nice talking with you."  Even though Texas lost I still enjoyed that game more than any other...including the national championship game against USC.

Now Texas Tech fans...there are some real retards.  :P

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:27 pm 

They play football in college?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:17 pm 

Usually they play on Saturday...luckily for me I'm too busy at the 1e gaming session to pay much attention to football  :wink:

Then again WVU is beating OU at halftime

Hmm, no, I don't have a gambling problem, I'm winning, and winning is not a problem. That's like saying Michael Jordan has a basketball problem, or Def Leppard has an awesomeness problem. So why don't y'all pour some sugar on that?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:28 pm 

This one's for you Al.... :D

Who said the French weren't civilized - torched cars are down this year!!!

January 2, 2008 - 6:24AM

Vandals have torched 372 cars as France celebrated the New Year, down on the figure last year after a night the police described as "relatively calm".

Cars are burned fairly regularly in France and the image of vehicles in flames in poor suburbs became symbolic of riots in 2005 when angry youths set fire to thousands of cars.

There is usually an increase in the number of cars torched on New Year's Eve compared to other days of the year.

"The night was relatively calm, without notable incident, there were very few direct clashes with the security forces," said a spokesman for the national police.

At 0500 GMT (1600 AEDT) the Interior Ministry said 372 vehicles had been burned - 144 in the Paris region and 228 in the rest of France. That was down from 397 last New Year's Eve.

At the height of the 2005 riots as many as 1,400 cars were attacked in overnight violence. In protests over President Nicolas Sarkozy election last May, demonstrators set fire to 730 vehicles.

Police had stepped up their presence on French streets in anticipation of the year-end celebrations and the sale of petrol in cans was banned in some places.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:54 am 

Nice win for Kansas last night in the Orange Bowl.  I was a bit surprised that they were able to beat what all the experts said was a "too powerful and fast for Kansas" Virginia Tech team.

On another note entirely:

http://music.msn.com/news/article.aspx? ... 8&GT1=7702

I dont think I have ever enjoyed following the downfall of a media figure as much as I have Britney Spears.  Just when you thought she had bottomed out this happens.  Her whole life is a disaster of mythic proportions.  Too bad her kids have to be in the middle of it all...they will probably grow up and be as screwed up as their parents.  :?

Maybe Britney and Lindsay Lohan can share a cell in prison some day.  One can only hope.  :wink:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:38 pm 

Too my Texas friends I stand with my fist in front of my face.  I slowly raise my middle finger and state "Big 10 Rules" fully knowing that the Big Ten Does not rule anything.  But I live in Big 10 territory and that's who I support.  Yes, I am constantly let down when my Big 10 schools go up any other schools (Michigan vs Applactian State) but you Texans can just go straight to hell. :lol:

Martin

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:45 pm 

Prufrock wrote:Too my Texas friends I stand with my fist in front of my face.  I slowly raise my middle finger and state "Big 10 Rules" fully knowing that the Big Ten Does not rule anything.  But I live in Big 10 territory and that's who I support.  Yes, I am constantly let down when my Big 10 schools go up any other schools (Michigan vs Applactian State) but you Texans can just go straight to hell. :lol:

Martin

So Martin...exactly which school do you root for the most?  Or is it that you just root for the Big Ten in general, not caring who wins as long as someone does.  Does this mean that you would pull for Purdue, Northwestern, or Iowa?  Or does it have to do with proximity?  If so, wouldnt you be better off cheering for Pitt, Kentucky, or Cincinnati?

Just curious since I guess I think completely the opposite.  The only Big 12 team I pull for is Texas.  I despise Texas A&M and Oklahoma.  I hope they lose to everyone especially Texas.  I dont really care for Texas Tech, Nebraska, or any other Big 12 team either.  I did think it cool that Kansas beat Va. Tech though simply because they have never really amounted to anything as it pertains to football.  I felt the same way about Boise St. and Rutgers last year when they had successful seasons.

Other than Texas...Michigan is the only other school I normally root for.  I have been a Michigan fan as long as I can remember and pull for them in basketball as well.  It helps that my father-in-law is an alumni.  If I was an Ohio St. fan he would probably hate me.  :wink:

And you cant feel too badly about the Appalachian St. loss at the beginning of the year.  They won the NCAA division 1 national title for the third straight year.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:08 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:They play football in college?

I think that I can help here.   On this side of the pond, it's called soccer.    :D

Let's git to killin'!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:53 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Maybe Britney and Lindsay Lohan can share a cell in prison some day.  One can only hope.  :wink:

And in that shared cell someone can film some girl on girl action, and post it on youtube. One can only hope...

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:57 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
So Martin...exactly which school do you root for the most?  Or is it that you just root for the Big Ten in general, not caring who wins as long as someone does.  Does this mean that you would pull for Purdue, Northwestern, or Iowa?  Or does it have to do with proximity?  If so, wouldnt you be better off cheering for Pitt, Kentucky, or Cincinnati?

Just curious since I guess I think completely the opposite.  The only Big 12 team I pull for is Texas.  I despise Texas A&M and Oklahoma.  I hope they lose to everyone especially Texas.  I dont really care for Texas Tech, Nebraska, or any other Big 12 team either.  I did think it cool that Kansas beat Va. Tech though simply because they have never really amounted to anything as it pertains to football.  I felt the same way about Boise St. and Rutgers last year when they had successful seasons.

Other than Texas...Michigan is the only other school I normally root for.  I have been a Michigan fan as long as I can remember and pull for them in basketball as well.  It helps that my father-in-law is an alumni.  If I was an Ohio St. fan he would probably hate me.  :wink:

And you cant feel too badly about the Appalachian St. loss at the beginning of the year.  They won the NCAA division 1 national title for the third straight year.

I don't really root for any Texas teams....and it's way too fun when OU or UT loses and the fans start the wailing and gnashing of teeth.  The cheapest and most entertaining show in town is the day after the annual UT/OU Red River Shootout at the Cotton Bowl....when one of these teams is guaranteed to lose.  The fans of the losing team are too funny to imagine as they leave town in a morose wagon train....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:58 pm 

For the non-american football (i.e. soccer) fans .. who do you support?

for me it the mighty Brentford FC, & We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland
I think red_bus is Charlton Athletic FC

anyone else prepared to nail their colours to the mast?

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:00 am 

Badmike wrote:
The funniest thing for a Giant hater like me is that now Coughlin is guaranteed to come back and ruin that team another year since he got them to the playoffs. Eli is so overmanned in the NFL it's not funny, they have already lost Shockey, their best receiveing threat, and now another four starters. The Buccs should hammer them....

I think the Seahawks will finally burst the Redskins bubble next week, emotion can only carry you so far, Collins has a reason no team has started him at QB in ten years. So it should be Seahawks at Packers, and Cowboys vs the Buccs.  Still looks like a Packers vs Cowboys NFC championship instant classic showdown.

In the AFC, the Titans are going down quick and early vs the Chargers. The Jags are the surprise team of the year and I'm not going to be shocked to see them move on vs the Steelers. But really, is there any doubt there will be a Colts/Pats showdown inthe championship game?  Another instant classic.

Mike B.

Halfway there....

I never had a doubt on the Redskins game...Collins proved he was a career backup, the Hawks blitzed him early and often and messed him up. The Skins did come back late and went ahead, but the Seahawks quickly disposed of them after a few Collins miscues. At least now we no longer have to hear about Sean Taylor anymore during the playoffs...geez that was getting old...like the Skins were the only team in the history of football to have tragedy motivate them.  And, I won two cases of beer from Redskins fans.  Boo-yaa!!!

The Jags/Steelers game wasn't the blowout I predicted.....a pretty damn good game that went down to the final seconds.  The Steelers as predicted really missed Willie Parker, Davenport can't hold his jock strap, and Big Ben looked immobile and out of sorts, tossing interceptions and being sacked at will. Still, it did come down to a last minute FG by the Jags, and the 3 INTS tossed by Ben. Should be an interesting matchup in the AFC next week should the Chargers win as expected.....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:28 am 

Badmike wrote:
Halfway there....

I never had a doubt on the Redskins game.

The Jags/Steelers game wasn't the blowout I predicted..... Still, it did come down to a last minute FG by the Jags, and the 3 INTS tossed by Ben.

Mike B.

As a Seahawk watcher I certainly had my doubts.  Just before the game I told my buddy 17-10 Redskins.  When the Skins went for that fieldgoal in the 4th quarter, my prediction was about to come true.  The miss...and subsequent collapse...was a nice example of a momentum shift.

The Steelers almost won on yet another incredibly bad call.  Was anyone else watching the Steelers receiver dragging the  defender by his facemask on that crucial 4th down play...that let the Steelers get four more downs and the go-ahead score?

After the game, I simply had to pause the TV on the stricken faces of a few Steelers fans.  They've got a mother load of Karma still comin' back at 'em.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:32 am 

You didn't want to be in the same room as me when those shitheads flagged the defender. I didn't care either way who won, but when the back judge is 10 years away and, ON CAMERA, looking at a four-step facemask drag, you have to start wondering if it's the National Fixed League.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:58 am 

These are the regular officiating crews..next week and there after it becomes the best of the bunch so these mistakes shall be minimized hopefully.  Course you wouldn't be able to convince a Seahawk fan of that anymore.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:29 am 

FormCritic wrote:
The Steelers almost won on yet another incredibly bad call.  Was anyone else watching the Steelers receiver dragging the  defender by his facemask on that crucial 4th down play...that let the Steelers get four more downs and the go-ahead score?

After the game, I simply had to pause the TV on the stricken faces of a few Steelers fans.  They've got a mother load of Karma still comin' back at 'em.

One of the worst officiating mistakes I've seen this year. I don't think the back judge was in the right position to see the play, and just decided to give it to the home team so the Steeler's fans wouldn't throw stuff at him.  But really could have flat out won the game for the Steelers, if Garrard doesn't make that amazing run later on the 4th and two.  

As a Cowboys fan it was nice to know the Cowboys will be gunning for their 6th superbowl while the Steelers won't this year...

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:54 pm 

Well seems like the teams with better winning records have been winning the playoff games..course this trend will have to be broken or NE will take it all.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 86 of 111123 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 109110111