Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 85 of 111123 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:06 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Again, this is meaningless.

All bowl positions are guaranteed before the season even begins. You can pick up any preseason college football magazine in July, cut the list out and pin it to the fridge ... and it will not change.

The ACC, Big 12, and SEC gain large number of bowl berths because they are large conferences. No other reason. The other three so-called "BCS conferences" are all smaller and therefore are granted fewer guaranteed bowl berths. It is not a merit-based system.*

+++++

*Well, other than for the four teams who manage to weasel their way into at-large spots in the BCS games. But, due to the five BCS games working under their own system, that's almost a separate argument.

But what you fail to see my dear Xaxaxe is that I know this already.  I was just giving Mark a good natured, Big 12 biased ribbing.  Mainly because of his post a few pages back:

By the way, didn't my Rose Bowl rant outrage anyone?  :evil:

I was expecting some sort of backlash.  8)

Were my arguments too logical and incontrovertible....or was it just that no one cared?  :x

I figured that he expected that if he kept up with the Rose Bowl this and that, that at some point someone was going to say something.  I figured I might as well be the one to do it since I have a deep dislike for all Pac-10 teams...especially USC and UCLA.  Why is it that UCLA can be a twenty point underdog, unranked, 0-2 against subpar non-conference teams and still find a way to beat a Texas team ranked fourth in the country?  :roll:

Anyway...as much as I enjoyed watching Texas in their two Rose Bowl wins I just dont see what all the hoopla is about.  Sure it's the "Granddaddy" of all the bowl games but its still just another bowl game.  Maybe a bit better than say the Meineke Car Care or the Gaylord Music City bowls but not by much.  :wink:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:08 pm 

Badmike wrote:And in the last 30 years or so have gotten quite sick listening to college football fans leverage their 6th ranked team's win over a 5th ranked teams win in the Jalapeno and Cheddar Cheese Bowl into a mythical  "championship'...which, in my mind, will always be mythical until they develop a playoff system.

Ahhh yes, the Queso Bowl...  My favorite...

urp!

bonk!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:19 pm 

Another thing;

Over the years, I've found the emotional investment in a college football team (even more than pro teams) leads to some of the most unfortunately biased rantings and arguments...most times ending in fisticuffs...between fans of different teams, or even conferences.   I have always theorized the bowl system was built on this fact, because the effect of half the bowl teams "winning" their last game of the season might have led to a large drop off in violence had we had a college football playoff system the last 50 years or so....imagine ONE and ONLY ONE team daring to point out they had legitimtely beat all comers and were #1?  Teenage suicides across the nation might have risen 500% the last few decades.

In the mid eighties, with most of my friends either Texas A&M or University of Texas students, and me going to a college without a football team, I arbitrarily chose a college team to follow for the hell ofit, just to have someone to root for on Saturdays. Well, I chose the Miami Hurricaine (don't even remember why, I think they had just won the 1983 championship). I went ahead and bought some Miami sweatshirts and such, and duitifully rooted for them when I could catch a game, or when they played in a bowl game.

My rooting interest was lukewarm, but I really played it up when the Hurricane played Texas teams, or OU.  I could turn my interest in the Hurricane football program on or off as the situation demanded.  Unfortunately my friends couldnt' just turn on or off their loyalty, and sometimes the betting and jeering got fierce and almost ugly; it didnt' help that Miami was somewhat dominate from 1987-1992 or so.   I distinctly remember the 1990 Cotton Bowl where the Canes played UT and hammered them unmercifully 46-3. Several of the people attending the game watching party I was at left in tears...grown men weeping uncontrollably as the Canes piled on points after points, women with "hook em Horns" t shirts sobbing and drinking far too much, older people sitting motionless, grimfaced and shattered, downing beer after beer.  And me, the only person present with a Cane's jersey......looking nervously for the exits as the Cane's got penalties for unsportsmanlike conduct....all the while UT fans shooting me murderous glances as Cane's players over celebrated every TD.

The only thing that saved me was the incredibly obnoxious Aggie fans who were also at the watching party....whooping and hollaring and laughing as if they themselves were handing the Horns a ass whipping.  It almost got really ugly before I quietly slipped out a back door to a local bar to watch the game's finish...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:46 pm 

Okay, that does it ... college football lesson coming! Especially for you heathens in the South and Southwest.  :)  :wink:

Kingofpain89 wrote:Sure it's the "Granddaddy" of all the bowl games but its still just another bowl game.

But it's not ... although I agree that it's mostly misunderstood by football fans outside of the Midwest or Far West.

Here's the thing about the Rose Bowl: it is a partnership with very loyal partners. The Big Ten, Pac-10, and Rose Bowl committee are exceptionally loyal to each other and they have a deep respect for the history of not only the respective conferences but for their shared experiences in the Rose Bowl. Especially in the current show-me-the-money world of sports, it's a very unique partnership.

This loyalty has been tested many times before, but the three partners have almost always stuck together. Anyone remember the Bowl Coalition and the Bowl Alliance from the 1990s? They were pretty much the current BCS system ... except that the Pac-10 and Big Ten were not members and the Rose Bowl was not included in the bowl rotation. It took a lot of convincing before those three partners would agree to sign on with the current BCS system (which debuted after the 1998 regular season) ... and there's still some officials within the Rose Bowl partnership who wish they never would have signed.

Or take this season as a most recent example. The Rose Bowl committee, which lost Ohio State to the BSC title game, had some very nice consolation prizes to consider during the selection process. Hey, look, it's West Virginia! They would only bring about 6 million fans to the game. Hey, look, its Georgia! They are only the hottest team in the country. So we'll take ... Illinois. 8O

I doubt the committee even really hesitated over this decision. Again, it's back to the loyalty and tradition. Illinois is part of the "Rose Bowl family" ... you can laugh, smirk, or howl all you want, but here's the thing: anyone who doesn't understand why the Rose Bowl committee would choose Illinois just doesn't grasp how loyal the three partners are to each other. This is sort of an understood thing if you're a college football fan in California or Michigan, but I suppose I can understand that's it's not common knowledge elsewhere.

And here's the best part about the Rose Bowl: it is definitely not like the other 31 games. It is the only bowl that could choose to go its own way and still get huge TV ratings, still sell 95,000 tickets every year, and still be talked about by casual and rabid fans alike. That's one of the benefits to being 33 years older than the next-oldest bowl game.

Or, as someone in the partnership once said (and I wish I could remember who it was): "What we have is the one football game that is important to all those people who only watch one football game every year." Now as stupid as that sounds on the surface, it's also pretty much true ... and that's a lot of people.

Kingofpain89 wrote:Why is it that UCLA can be a twenty point underdog, unranked, 0-2 against subpar non-conference teams and still find a way to beat a Texas team ranked fourth in the country

Ah ... would that be the 1997 game? UCLA 66, Texas 3. I'll tell you, not even rabid Pac-10 fans can explain that one.

It's a good trivia question, too: what is the largest margin of victory for an unranked team over a ranked team in college football history?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:11 pm 

Badmike wrote:I distinctly remember the 1990 Cotton Bowl where the Canes played UT and hammered them unmercifully 46-3.

That's actually a historic game, although many don't realize it.

That game (1991, BTW, although following the 1990 season), more than any other, led to the current NCAA rules regarding "excessive celebrations," taunting, and other limitations.

For anyone who didn't see it ... well, it was ugly. I stopped watching after a while and I was a pretty fanatic football fan. Miami went totally OTT in celebrating every first down, every big hit, and every Texas miscue. And they were all posing on the sidelines for the cameras (CBS, I think), flashing gang signs, etc.

Which was another interesting issue: almost without exception, the most out-of-control players were blacks. They just were; there's no arguing it. But when the NCAA began to limit celebrating and taunting, some civil rights groups became upset that the rules were"targeting" blacks. It was a hot-button issue for a year or so, but, thankfully, the NCAA showed some backbone and basically said, "These rules affect all players, regardless of race." After a few months, the whole debate sort of just went away.

I think that game set a bowl record for penalty yardage ... or maybe it was a record for personal-foul penalties (Miami had like eight calls for either roughing or unsportsmanlike conduct). Either way, it was disastrous: it was a poor reflection on Miami, the Cotton Bowl, and the state of the college game at the time. Miami was hardly the only team from that era doing way too much posing and preening.

Badmike wrote:Over the years, I've found the emotional investment in a college football team (even more than pro teams) leads to some of the most unfortunately biased rantings and arguments...most times ending in fisticuffs...between fans of different teams, or even conferences.

What's scary is how true this can be ... with rabid college football fans, there's a sense of personal well-being that's at stake that just can't be found even in the most loyal of NFL fans. Clearly, some of it has to do with actually attending the school in question, but that doesn't explain all of it ... I mean, not everyone in Tennessee actually went to Tennessee, if you see what I'm getting at.

And the scariest college fans of all? The women. Truly frightening. The more they loved going to school there, the more they cannot be reasoned with on game day.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:36 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:*****

Okay, that does it ... college football lesson coming! Especially for you heathens in the South and Southwest.  :)  :wink:

Let me reiterate my previous statement.  My feigned ignorance of the Rose Bowl was for Mark's benefit.  That's what the winky face was for.  I may not know every single iota of information about the history of college football or the Rose Bowl but I would much rather sit and watch a college football game than an NFL game any day of the week.

Both times Texas played in the Rose Bowl I was thrilled.  For them to get to play in the most storied bowl game of all time was a dream for the players and the fans.  For them to beat both Michigan and USC for the national championship was simply the ultimate feat for the Longhorns.  I dont think I will ever see a football game quite like the national championship game of 2005.

And yeah, you nailed it on the head with that UCLA shellacking of Texas.  That was simply the second most embarrassing loss that they have endured while I have been watching Texas Longhorn football.  The worst was as Mike stated, the Cotton Bowl loss to the Hurricanes.  I did watch that game and it was equally embarrassing.  Texas was ranked number two going into that game and anyone that was a Longhorn fan was thinking national championship if we could beat the 'Canes.  It was apparent real quick that Texas just couldnt hang with Miami.  :?

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:45 pm 

Badmike wrote:I refuse to invest too much time into bowl games until they someday do the logical thing and work out a playoff system.  Coming from a college with no football team (Texas Wesleyan University), I have always been able to stay just a little bit emotionally out of the fray.  And in the last 30 years or so have gotten quite sick listening to college football fans leverage their 6th ranked team's win over a 5th ranked teams win in the Jalapeno and Cheddar Cheese Bowl into a mythical  "championship'...which, in my mind, will always be mythical until they develop a playoff system.
Mike B.

I couldn't agree more.  I also went to a non-football school, but only a playoff system of eight or more teams really means anything.  The current system is designed first and foremost for one thing: TO MAKE MONEY.  The football championship is secondary.  Only once enough people get sick of the current system and it begins to make less money or they feel like a playoff system will make them more money will the system change.

I do have hope that it will change.  The current system is obviously fraught with politics and power in addition to money issues.  The game needs to be more about the players and plays on the field and less about the system.  I get the sense that more and more people talk about changing the current system each year.  People are not satisfied with the status quo.  And remember, the BCS system is relatively new.  I certainly hope they go to a playoff system.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:53 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Both times Texas played in the Rose Bowl I was thrilled.

Those were both great games, especially the USC game. I was glued to my chair for every single play.

I think those games also helped the Rose Bowl/Big Ten/Pac-10 triumvirate see that maybe ... just maybe ... the world would not end if tradition had to go out the window every so often. Actually, the 2002 game was pretty funny, too ... despite hosting the national championship game, there was still a lot of grumbling from some sources that it would be the first Rose Bowl game since 1919 to not include a Pac-10 team. Ah, tradition and grumpy old men ... you just can't beat it!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:02 pm 

Real quick, for the record: I've had nothing but good experiences with football fans from Texas. They tend to be knowledgeable without being obnoxious about it ... and they like food and drink. Nothing wrong with that.

One example: I actually sat in a mixed, but pro-Texas section for the 2000 Holiday Bowl, proudly wearing the green and gold of the Oregon Ducks. The Texas fans were great, even with their huge disappointment at the end (wide-open Texas receivers dropped not one, but two, game-winning passes in the final minute ... it was surreal). And the Texas band was frickin' awesome!

If only the same could be said for fans from many other areas. Yes, I'm talking to you, Oklahoma fans ... you insufferable morons. And you, too, three-quarters of the SEC ...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:04 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:And here's the best part about the Rose Bowl: it is definitely not like the other 31 games. It is the only bowl that could choose to go its own way and still get huge TV ratings, still sell 95,000 tickets every year, and still be talked about by casual and rabid fans alike. That's one of the benefits to being 33 years older than the next-oldest bowl game.

Yeah, it still can sell that many tickets and generate that much excitement for now and probably the near future, but if it keeps picking non-top ten teams like Illinois, it'll become more and more irrelevant.  The match-up was surprising to say the least.  Every tradition has momentum, for good or for bad.  I think the positive Rose Bowl tradition is not primarily a product of age, but of the best teams in the nation playing each other for high stakes. That's what made the Rose Bowl great; and that was lacking this year.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:12 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Badmike wrote:
 I distinctly remember the 1990 Cotton Bowl where the Canes played UT and hammered them unmercifully 46-3.

That's actually a historic game, although many don't realize it.

That game (1991, BTW, although following the 1990 season), more than any other, led to the current NCAA rules regarding "excessive celebrations," taunting, and other limitations.

For anyone who didn't see it ... well, it was ugly. I stopped watching after a while and I was a pretty fanatic football fan. Miami went totally OTT in celebrating every first down, every big hit, and every Texas miscue. And they were all posing on the sidelines for the cameras (CBS, I think), flashing gang signs, etc.

Which was another interesting issue: almost without exception, the most out-of-control players were blacks. They just were; there's no arguing it. But when the NCAA began to limit celebrating and taunting, some civil rights groups became upset that the rules were"targeting" blacks. It was a hot-button issue for a year or so, but, thankfully, the NCAA showed some backbone and basically said, "These rules affect all players, regardless of race." After a few months, the whole debate sort of just went away.

I think that game set a bowl record for penalty yardage ... or maybe it was a record for personal-foul penalties (Miami had like eight calls for either roughing or unsportsmanlike conduct). Either way, it was disastrous: it was a poor reflection on Miami, the Cotton Bowl, and the state of the college game at the time. Miami was hardly the only team from that era doing way too much posing and preening.

The game broke the Cotton Bowl penalty record at halftime...and by the end, the Canes had set the still unbroken all time bowl penalty record with 202 yards.  Ironically, or not, I blame the coach Erickson for most of the mayhem.  That idiot had completely lost control of his squad and didn't care. With the game well out of reach by halftime, he should have sat the most ridiculous offenders and played the backups the rest of the way.....not that it would have mattered, UT was done by the third quarter, and wasn't coming back.  It was undoubtedly the most thugged up college football game of all time.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:17 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Real quick, for the record: I've had nothing but good experiences with football fans from Texas. They tend to be knowledgeable without being obnoxious about it ... and they like food and drink. Nothing wrong with that.

One example: I actually sat in a mixed, but pro-Texas section for the 2000 Holiday Bowl, proudly wearing the green and gold of the Oregon Ducks. The Texas fans were great, even with their huge disappointment at the end (wide-open Texas receivers dropped not one, but two, game-winning passes in the final minute ... it was surreal). And the Texas band was frickin' awesome!

If only the same could be said for fans from many other areas. Yes, I'm talking to you, Oklahoma fans ... you insufferable morons. And you, too, three-quarters of the SEC ...

Oklahoma football fans can be severely obnoxious...I will grant you that.  But not all of them are bad.  Take the 1996 Red River Shootout for example.  A few of my friends and I had been taking the yearly pilgrimage to Dallas from Amarillo, TX every year since 1991.  We had been unable to get tickets to the game the previous five years but were finally able to get tickets to the game in '96.  The only problem was that we got the tickets from an OU alumni.  So the four of us get there all dressed in burnt orange and white and we were sitting in a sea of crimson and cream.  The feeling may have been similar to being drenched in chum and then thrown overboard in shark-infested waters.  Needless to say it was an intimidating experience.  Most of the OU fans heckled us, gave us a hard time, and even a few cussed at us during the game...especially when UT scored.  OU came back from a sizable deficit and tied up the game to force overtime.  Texas settled for a field goal and then Oklahoma answered with a touchdown to seal the win.  I'm not sure if you can imagine the noise when that TD was scored...it was deafening.  We wanted to leave but at that moment it was physically impossible with the screaming, jumping throng of barbaric Sooner fans barring the nearest exit.  So we just sat there until everything died down.

But I remember now that I was attempting to defend a couple of Sooner fans.  During the game we met an elderly gentleman and his son that were sitting next to us.  Come to find out, the older man had graduated from OU back in the 40's.  He seemed to know the names of every player that had ever played for OU.  He regaled us with stories of all the great Sooner players through the years.  And to our astonishment, he also talked about a lot of the great Texas players and coaches as well.  He had met or was friends with numerous players and coaches over the years such as Darrell Royal, Barry Switzer, Bud Wilkinson, Steve Owens, and others.  And he had attended every Texas-OU game since college and proclaimed that he didnt plan on stopping any time soon.

As the cheers died down and the masses exited the Cotton Bowl, his son helped him up, gave him his cane, and picked up his oxygen bottle.  As they left the row we were sitting in he told us "Good luck next year boys.  It was nice talking with you."  Even though Texas lost I still enjoyed that game more than any other...including the national championship game against USC.

Now Texas Tech fans...there are some real retards.  :P

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:27 pm 

They play football in college?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:17 pm 

Usually they play on Saturday...luckily for me I'm too busy at the 1e gaming session to pay much attention to football  :wink:

Then again WVU is beating OU at halftime

Hmm, no, I don't have a gambling problem, I'm winning, and winning is not a problem. That's like saying Michael Jordan has a basketball problem, or Def Leppard has an awesomeness problem. So why don't y'all pour some sugar on that?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:28 pm 

This one's for you Al.... :D

Who said the French weren't civilized - torched cars are down this year!!!

January 2, 2008 - 6:24AM

Vandals have torched 372 cars as France celebrated the New Year, down on the figure last year after a night the police described as "relatively calm".

Cars are burned fairly regularly in France and the image of vehicles in flames in poor suburbs became symbolic of riots in 2005 when angry youths set fire to thousands of cars.

There is usually an increase in the number of cars torched on New Year's Eve compared to other days of the year.

"The night was relatively calm, without notable incident, there were very few direct clashes with the security forces," said a spokesman for the national police.

At 0500 GMT (1600 AEDT) the Interior Ministry said 372 vehicles had been burned - 144 in the Paris region and 228 in the rest of France. That was down from 397 last New Year's Eve.

At the height of the 2005 riots as many as 1,400 cars were attacked in overnight violence. In protests over President Nicolas Sarkozy election last May, demonstrators set fire to 730 vehicles.

Police had stepped up their presence on French streets in anticipation of the year-end celebrations and the sale of petrol in cans was banned in some places.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:54 am 

Nice win for Kansas last night in the Orange Bowl.  I was a bit surprised that they were able to beat what all the experts said was a "too powerful and fast for Kansas" Virginia Tech team.

On another note entirely:

http://music.msn.com/news/article.aspx? ... 8&GT1=7702

I dont think I have ever enjoyed following the downfall of a media figure as much as I have Britney Spears.  Just when you thought she had bottomed out this happens.  Her whole life is a disaster of mythic proportions.  Too bad her kids have to be in the middle of it all...they will probably grow up and be as screwed up as their parents.  :?

Maybe Britney and Lindsay Lohan can share a cell in prison some day.  One can only hope.  :wink:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:38 pm 

Too my Texas friends I stand with my fist in front of my face.  I slowly raise my middle finger and state "Big 10 Rules" fully knowing that the Big Ten Does not rule anything.  But I live in Big 10 territory and that's who I support.  Yes, I am constantly let down when my Big 10 schools go up any other schools (Michigan vs Applactian State) but you Texans can just go straight to hell. :lol:

Martin

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:45 pm 

Prufrock wrote:Too my Texas friends I stand with my fist in front of my face.  I slowly raise my middle finger and state "Big 10 Rules" fully knowing that the Big Ten Does not rule anything.  But I live in Big 10 territory and that's who I support.  Yes, I am constantly let down when my Big 10 schools go up any other schools (Michigan vs Applactian State) but you Texans can just go straight to hell. :lol:

Martin

So Martin...exactly which school do you root for the most?  Or is it that you just root for the Big Ten in general, not caring who wins as long as someone does.  Does this mean that you would pull for Purdue, Northwestern, or Iowa?  Or does it have to do with proximity?  If so, wouldnt you be better off cheering for Pitt, Kentucky, or Cincinnati?

Just curious since I guess I think completely the opposite.  The only Big 12 team I pull for is Texas.  I despise Texas A&M and Oklahoma.  I hope they lose to everyone especially Texas.  I dont really care for Texas Tech, Nebraska, or any other Big 12 team either.  I did think it cool that Kansas beat Va. Tech though simply because they have never really amounted to anything as it pertains to football.  I felt the same way about Boise St. and Rutgers last year when they had successful seasons.

Other than Texas...Michigan is the only other school I normally root for.  I have been a Michigan fan as long as I can remember and pull for them in basketball as well.  It helps that my father-in-law is an alumni.  If I was an Ohio St. fan he would probably hate me.  :wink:

And you cant feel too badly about the Appalachian St. loss at the beginning of the year.  They won the NCAA division 1 national title for the third straight year.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 85 of 111123 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 109110111