Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 84 of 111123 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:39 am 

killjoy32 wrote:mike/john: tell you man, dallas were pitiful the other night. they didnt have a running game. each time one of guys even took a step, theywere ground into the dirt by 2 or 3 players right away.

Romo didnt look good at all. did he injure himself in the end or was it just precaution?

the redskins played very well i thought, but then it was a game where Dallas had nothing in it, so did they rest players?

Al

There was absolutely nothing Dallas could do by winning..they already have home field throughout the playoffs. Guys were playing not to get hurt. Half the team was on the bench.  I don't understand why they didn't just play the backups the entire game.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:17 pm 

Badmike wrote:
There was absolutely nothing Dallas could do by winning..they already have home field throughout the playoffs. Guys were playing not to get hurt. Half the team was on the bench.  I don't understand why they didn't just play the backups the entire game.

Mike B.

Not to be Mr. Negative or anything but I dont think Dallas could have won even if they kept their starters in the whole game and played like they were fighting to get into the playoffs...which of course Washington was.  Dallas has looked flat the last few games...almost like they just decided that they are a lock for the Super Bowl and they can just coast from here on in.  Way too many fundamental mistakes being made.  They were lucky not to lose to Detroit and Carolina and they should have beaten Philly a few weeks ago but managed to stink up the field pretty badly.

Luckily they have a first round bye and home field advantage otherwise I wouldnt be surprised seeing them bow out in the first round again.  They better get their shit together the next couple of weeks and get Romo mentally prepared to play.  Hopefully Terry Glenn will be 100% and Terrell Owens can get back on the field by then as well.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:35 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Not to be Mr. Negative or anything but I dont think Dallas could have won even if they kept their starters in the whole game and played like they were fighting to get into the playoffs...which of course Washington was.  Dallas has looked flat the last few games...almost like they just decided that they are a lock for the Super Bowl and they can just coast from here on in.  Way too many fundamental mistakes being made.  They were lucky not to lose to Detroit and Carolina and they should have beaten Philly a few weeks ago but managed to stink up the field pretty badly.

Luckily they have a first round bye and home field advantage otherwise I wouldnt be surprised seeing them bow out in the first round again.  They better get their shit together the next couple of weeks and get Romo mentally prepared to play.  Hopefully Terry Glenn will be 100% and Terrell Owens can get back on the field by then as well.

They'll be fine. It's hard to motivate grown men with any sort of "rah rah" speech when there really isn't a single solitary reason for them to play, except to give the Redskins token resistance so no one can say the Cowboys gave them the game, when it's raining and cold and the chance of injury goes up immensely (slipping on wet fields) and you can only hurt your chances, not help them, by getting a starter hurt.  I'm surprised the starters stayed in that long as it was.  Think about what happened to the giants...they kept their starters in during a game with no meaning to them (vs the Pats) and lost three players, including their starting center, to injuries, with a playoff game coming up this weekend vs the Buccs. Brilliant.  

Mike B.

Last edited by Badmike on Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:24 pm 

i still think washington would have stomped all over you even if you had a full team out - they just looked like they were totally up for the game, while dallas just showed up.

anyway.

how do you see the wildcard games playing out?

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:50 pm 

Vs. the Pats, Mike. They lost 4 starters all told. We all bet on Chokelin being stupid and going for a win with his starters. I was fine with it, gave us a chance to knock them out of contention.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:42 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Vs. the Pats, Mike. They lost 4 starters all told. We all bet on Chokelin being stupid and going for a win with his starters. I was fine with it, gave us a chance to knock them out of contention.

The funniest thing for a Giant hater like me is that now Coughlin is guaranteed to come back and ruin that team another year since he got them to the playoffs. Eli is so overmanned in the NFL it's not funny, they have already lost Shockey, their best receiveing threat, and now another four starters. The Buccs should hammer them....

I think the Seahawks will finally burst the Redskins bubble next week, emotion can only carry you so far, Collins has a reason no team has started him at QB in ten years.  So it should be Seahawks at Packers, and Cowboys vs the Buccs.  Still looks like a Packers vs Cowboys NFC championship instant classic showdown.

In the AFC, the Titans are going down quick and early vs the Chargers. The Jags are the surprise team of the year and I'm not going to be shocked to see them move on vs the Steelers. But really, is there any doubt there will be a Colts/Pats showdown inthe championship game?  Another instant classic.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:05 pm 

The Jags have always scared the shit out of me. They are horribly underrated.
I'm not sure the Pats have the juice to be in the AFC Championship. Losing Colvin was a huge blow, we had to rotate guys to the outside who are a bit slower than average. Time will tell.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:27 pm 

Badmike wrote:In the AFC, the Titans are going down quick and early vs the Chargers. The Jags are the surprise team of the year and I'm not going to be shocked to see them move on vs the Steelers. But really, is there any doubt there will be a Colts/Pats showdown inthe championship game?  Another instant classic.

Mike B.

Don't quote me on this....but I like the Titans vs. the Chargers.  The Titans are looking for some serious payback against Merriman.  I predict Vince Young will have one of the best games of his career and Tomlinson will have one of the worst.  The Titans should have won the last game they played against them but let it slip away in the 4th.

I also think the Jags are a very dangerous team.  Pittsburgh will have their hands full, especially with all of the injuries they have had of late.

Tampa Bay should kick the crap out of the Giants but I'm taking Washington over the Seahawks.  On paper the Seahawks are the superior team but momentum and guts can keep a team going long after they should be done.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:47 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Don't quote me on this....but I like the Titans vs. the Chargers.  The Titans are looking for some serious payback against Merriman.  I predict Vince Young will have one of the best games of his career and Tomlinson will have one of the worst.  The Titans should have won the last game they played against them but let it slip away in the 4th.

I also think the Jags are a very dangerous team.  Pittsburgh will have their hands full, especially with all of the injuries they have had of late.

Tampa Bay should kick the crap out of the Giants but I'm taking Washington over the Seahawks.  On paper the Seahawks are the superior team but momentum and guts can keep a team going long after they should be done.

I just don't think the Titans have the juice to hang with the Chargers.  Young is a good QB, but he's not great, and it would take a great QB to elevate this team of spares over LT and company. But if they beat the Chargers, I wouldn't be unhappy.  

The Redskins have had an amazing run.  But I think they played their superbowl this Sunday....kicking the crap out of a defenseless Cowboys team in a emotion filled homegame that clinched their playoff appearance.  There is going to be a slight letdown this week. They play at Seattle, who has an amazing home crowd, and ten times out of ten you would take the Hawks QB (Hasselbeck) over Collins, who has played admirably but is a career backup.  I think the Skins storybook finish is for naught.

I honestly don't know if the Jags can beat the Stealers...but you know what, they could, and they should.  Losing Willie Parker does not help Steeltowns chances.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:52 am 

As a longtime Seahawks fan.....

Losing to Washington is exactly what the Seahawks would do.  I expect it.

Tampa Bay versus the Giants is a mystery.  Tampa Bay...I guess.

The Titans will get hammered by the Chargers

The Jaguars will stomp the Steelers.  I predict 36-6 at halftime.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:43 am 

i think the redskins will beat the seahawks, but think it will be a close one.

i think tampa bay wills tomp the giants.

the chargers should beat the titans, who i reckon dont look that great and i reckon the jags will beat the steelers. their momentum is good and the steelers have pretty much faltered quite a bit of late.

should be some pretty damn good games tho. all of which is doing the teams in waiting a favour, because this lot will kick the shite out of each other, to then just be swept under the table in the next game.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:54 am 

Back to Big Ten football for a second:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=280010057

Be sure to note the table "Big Ten Chomp".   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:53 am 

bombadil wrote:Back to Big Ten football for a second:

Wheee....that was a damn good game.  :D   It is the only bowl game that I have actually watched from start to finish this season.  Of course now that I know better I wish I would have watched all of the Gator Bowl.  Texas Tech coming from 14 points behind in the fourth quarter to beat Virginia was apparently pretty spectacular.

Just not enough time to watch 'em all.  :(

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:07 pm 

Go Dogs!  Georgia whooped up on some Hawaii grass skirts.  Of course, somebody is going to say they knew that was going to happen all along but the fact of the matter is that few people did because of the Oklahoma vs. Boise State game last year.  It wasn't a particularly interesting game, but it was enjoyable for me.  Georgia should start out top 10 and maybe top 5 next year. :D

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:35 pm 

bombadil wrote:Back to Big Ten football for a second:

Not a bad bowl season for the nation's two premiere conferences.

The Big Ten went 3-4 (chance for Ohio to make it 4-4)

The Pac Ten went 3-2  (just a whisper away from 4-1 with the UCLA loss)

The two conferences of 21 teams (about 10% of the total), scored 13 of the possible 64 bowl berths (about 20% of the total).

An astonishing 8 out of 11 teams in the Big Ten earned bowl berths, and half the teams in the Pac Ten made it to bowl games.

It is possible for a Big Ten team to win the national championship without going undefeated (a Pac Ten team has to be undefeated).  If it weren't for that, the two conferences would be better off bagging the BCS and going back to the de facto national championship game...the Rose Bowl.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:19 pm 

FormCritic wrote:The Pac Ten went 3-2  (just a whisper away from 4-1 with the UCLA loss)

4-2, actually ... by finishing with four straight wins (Oregon State, Cal, Oregon, USC).

FormCritic wrote:An astonishing 8 out of 11 teams in the Big Ten earned bowl berths, and half the teams in the Pac Ten made it to bowl games.

Sadly, the "percentage of teams" argument really doesn't mean much, as all bowl matchups have been "tie-ins" for many, many years now. Each of the nine Division I-A conferences is guaranteed X number of total spots in the 32 games, provided X is filled by teams with six or more wins.

SEC fans, for instance, like to crow about getting nine bowl spots this year ... as if every single spot wasn't guaranteed before the season started. Then again, SEC fans often occupy a separate version of reality than the rest of us.

The only exceptions to the guarantees are the at-large spots in the five BCS bowls. Teams that "move up" into an at-large spot usually create a vacancy for a fellow conference member to go to a lesser bowl ... although if no one else in the conference has hit the six-win minimum, that spot can end up going to a team from some other conference.

Kingofpain89 wrote:Wheee....that was a damn good game.

It really was. It had everything a good bowl is supposed to have — mostly an interesting matchup between two solid teams — and then lived up to its billing.

It's also interesting to note that the defending national champions just lost to the same team that managed to begin the season by losing to Appalachian State.   8O

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:55 pm 

Whoops...I forgot to count the California victory.  

I tend to forget that Cal is in the Pac Ten.  It's almost like California cheated by getting two extra teams into the conference.  

I didn't realize that the BCS system was so rigged.  Basically, the major conferences conspired to freeze everyone else out....

Which makes the BCS even less legitimate than I thought it was.

We should just go back to settling things every year in the Rose Bowl.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:57 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
Not a bad bowl season for the nation's two premiere conferences.

The Big Ten went 3-4 (chance for Ohio to make it 4-4)

The Pac Ten went 3-2  (just a whisper away from 4-1 with the UCLA loss)

The two conferences of 21 teams (about 10% of the total), scored 13 of the possible 64 bowl berths (about 20% of the total).

An astonishing 8 out of 11 teams in the Big Ten earned bowl berths, and half the teams in the Pac Ten made it to bowl games.

It is possible for a Big Ten team to win the national championship without going undefeated (a Pac Ten team has to be undefeated).  If it weren't for that, the two conferences would be better off bagging the BCS and going back to the de facto national championship game...the Rose Bowl.

Whatever Mark.... PDT_Armataz_01_27

It sounds as if you are saying that because the Big Ten and Pac-10 sent so many teams to bowl games that they are better than the other conferences.  I hope that isnt the case because the ACC and Big 12 both sent 8 and the SEC sent 9.  And since the ACC is currently 2-5 in bowl games I am pretty sure you don't equate being "a premiere conference" with the number of bowl games played in.  The Big 12 has a chance to finish the bowl season with a 6-2 record with a Oklahoma win tonight and a Kansas win in the Orange Bowl.  Even if Oklahoma and Kansas both lose the Big 12's bowl record will still be .500....better than the Big Ten's .429.

The BCS is here to stay....at least until someone comes up with a better alternative and I seriously doubt it will happen anytime soon.  Your poor Rose Bowl with all its history and significance is now just another BCS bowl.  It's too bad they couldnt have had a better matchup for USC this year.  Maybe you could lobby the decision makers to make the Cotton Bowl a BCS site and the Rose Bowl could go back to being Pac-10 v. Big Ten every year.  Especially since the new Dallas Cowboys stadium in all it's ridiculous steel and glass glory will be the new home of the Cotton Bowl soon enough.

All I gotta say is this:  Texas 51, Arizona St. 34.

:D

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 84 of 111123 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 109110111