Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 80 of 111123 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:06 pm 

bombadil wrote:
Hold on a sec, Al...you mean you made it all the way down under, and Brendon didn't show you THE BELLA POVQ?  Son of a bitch, what a bummer!

Seriously, though, 14 brown boxes?  I've got some catching up to do.

ohhhh yeah i saw like all the PotVQs he had as well as one awesome collection that looks far too organised for me.

thats one cool collection he has thats for sure :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:16 pm 

Since this board is in the future (hehe), I just wanted to say thanks to all here for being the upstanding people you are, and for making this last year entertaining and fruitful for my birthday, which is today. From some of you, items were bought which have since been added to my collection, to be enjoyed and kept safe. Thank you.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:03 am 

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear serleraaaaaaan
Happy Birthday to you!

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:22 am 

yay!! happy b'day serleran :D :D
may you pick up good eBay BIN before bclarkie at least once in next year ;) ;)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:31 am 

My vote for Most Quotable Quote of 2007...  "Don't taze me, bro!"

bonk!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:59 am 

I know there are a few Terry Pratchett fans on here, so for those who haven't seen it yet:

Apparently the "phantom stroke" earlier this year was merely a symptom of a bigger problem. :(

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:18 am 

I was trying to work this into a silliest auction thread but felt it wasn't quite game related enough:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_6059972_2?ie=UTF8&docId=1000179911&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-0&pf_rd_r=1CJMGW5TVWC8V2J9HWMK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=340739801&pf_rd_i=507846

Amazon.com buys one of seven handmade copies of J.K. Rowling's "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" for the low, low price of 1,950,000 Euros.   8O

The book of five wizarding fairy tales, referenced in the last book of the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, is one of only seven handmade copies in existence.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:40 am 

Avurax wrote:Amazon.com buys one of seven handmade copies of J.K. Rowling's "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" for the low, low price of 1,950,000 Euros.

I am offering to trade 1,000 mint condition copies of orange B3 plus 400 mint condition 1st printing copies of woodgrain OD&D plus 2,000 mint condition copies of Dragon #1 for one copy of "The Tales of Beedle the Bard."

If there are no takers, I suggest that we band together to offer every existing copy of every product for OUR ENTIRE HOBBY in exchange for one copy of "The Tales of Beedle the Bard," which by my calculations is about an even monetary offer.

Failing that, I intend to offer one copy of the Bible [Gutenberg edition, condition: used] for all seven copies of "The Tales of Beedle the Bard."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:10 am 

I'd pay $5.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:16 pm 

Avurax wrote:I was trying to work this into a silliest auction thread but felt it wasn't quite game related enough:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_6059972_2?ie=UTF8&docId=1000179911&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-0&pf_rd_r=1CJMGW5TVWC8V2J9HWMK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=340739801&pf_rd_i=507846

Amazon.com buys one of seven handmade copies of J.K. Rowling's "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" for the low, low price of 1,950,000 Euros.   8O

The book of five wizarding fairy tales, referenced in the last book of the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, is one of only seven handmade copies in existence.

I almost threw up on myself when I read this breathless, over the top, ass kissing review of the "tome":

There is no easy way to define the experience of seeing, holding, or reading J.K. Rowling's The Tales of Beedle the Bard, so let's just start with one word: "Whoa." The very fact of its existence (an artifact pulled straight out of a novel) is magical, not to mention the facts that only seven copies exist in all the world and each of the never-before-told tales is handwritten and illustrated by J.K. Rowling herself (and it's quite clear from the first few pages that she has some skill as an artist). Rowling's handwriting is like the familiar scrawl of a favorite aunt--it's not hard to read, but it does require attention--allowing you to take it slow and savor the mystery of each next word.
So how do you review one of the most remarkable tomes you've ever had the pleasure of opening? You just turn each page and allow yourself to be swept away by each story. You soak up the simple tales that read like Aesop's fables and echo the themes of the series; you follow every dip and curve of Rowling's handwriting and revel in every detail that makes the book unique--a slight darkening of a letter here, a place where the writing nearly runs off the page there. You take all that and you try and bring it to life, knowing that you will never be able to do it justice.

You would have thought they had discovered another book of the bible written by JC himself, or at the least an unpublished finished work of Hemingway or Faulkner.  Jeez.  The only good thing, and I mean the ONLY good thing, is the profits went to a charity.  For a real hoot, read the comments, and if you have never got caught up in the Harry Potter madness, call yourself very lucky...and they dare to call guys who play Dungeons & Dragons "weird"...I don't even like being on the same planet as some of those lunatics who posted there...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:45 pm 

Yeah, that "review" is just a little too breathless. You'd think the book cured cancer or something.

I've still never read a word of the Potter series, which I'm sort of proud of in a perverse sort of way. I never saw Titanic, either ... man, I'm a rebel.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:49 pm 

Bleurgh  :puker:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:54 pm 

g026r wrote:I know there are a few Terry Pratchett fans on here, so for those who haven't seen it yet:

Apparently the "phantom stroke" earlier this year was merely a symptom of a bigger problem. :(

This is very sad news indeed.  :cry:

~Clangador
---------------

Black Blade Publishing imprint of OSRIC is not only the most definitive printing of OSRIC to date, but also the single greatest resource for old school gamers since the three original hardbacks written by E. Gary Gygax.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:09 am 

Not to drag the off-topic thread off-topic, but has anyone ever listened to "Black Blade" by Blue Oyster Cult? They've been my favorite band since I was 13 or so, and the song is obviously about a semi-famous weapon....... What is unusual is the co-author of the lyrics for the song. Moorcock himself!

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:47 am 

During that musical era Moorcock also collaborated on several songs by the band Hawkwind (who are still in existence). On some of their songs he provided vocals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawkwind

I first heard about them around 1981 in a record store in Montreal when I picked up their album called Sonic Attack that has 3 or 4 songs written or co-written by Moorcock.

Some of the lyrics are a bit cheezy but Hawkwind is a good hard rockin' band.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:57 am 

Hi,

some of Moorcocks books are about Hawkwind - as their incarnation of the Hawklords at the time.

The Missus used to be a big Moorcock fan.

Cheers,
Malc

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:04 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:During that musical era Moorcock also collaborated on several songs by the band Hawkwind (who are still in existence). On some of their songs he provided vocals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawkwind

I first heard about them around 1981 in a record store in Montreal when I picked up their album called Sonic Attack that has 3 or 4 songs written or co-written by Moorcock.

Some of the lyrics are a bit cheezy but Hawkwind is a good hard rockin' band.

Whaddya know....I learn something new every day.  I had no idea that Lemmy (of Motorhead fame obviously) was once a member of Hawkwind.  8)

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:43 pm 

bonk! wrote:My vote for Most Quotable Quote of 2007...  "Don't taze me, bro!"

bonk!

And apparently others agree... http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071219/us_nm/usa_quotes_dc

bonk!

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 80 of 111123 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 109110111