Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 74 of 111123 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:53 pm 

Breakneck players aren't tolerated because NO ONE wants to get hurt, or possibly have their career ended.  
Players get hurt, that's the game, but I can assure you no coach would ever tell his players to play to injure others, nor would he condone it. He'd be drummed out of the league, and so would the player.
Warren Sapp made a perfectly legal hit on a guy who wasn't paying attention a few years back, and put him in the hospital. Both of them were miles away from the action, and definitely out of the play. What got Sapp into deep water was his casual attitude toward the injury, not the hit itself. He didn't care one whit that the guy might never play again. He as much as said so in every interview. I watched him VERY closely after that, and lo and behold, people were beating the shit out of Sapp at every opportunity. Strangely enough, he changed his tune and the beatings stopped.
Yes, I'm sure every other team would breathe a sigh of relief if Brady got hurt, but I assure you, the player who deliberately tried to injure him would pay dearly, in more ways than one.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:16 pm 

I can't wait for the game vs the Jets.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:27 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Breakneck players aren't tolerated because NO ONE wants to get hurt, or possibly have their career ended.  
Players get hurt, that's the game, but I can assure you no coach would ever tell his players to play to injure others, nor would he condone it. He'd be drummed out of the league, and so would the player.
Warren Sapp made a perfectly legal hit on a guy who wasn't paying attention a few years back, and put him in the hospital. Both of them were miles away from the action, and definitely out of the play. What got Sapp into deep water was his casual attitude toward the injury, not the hit itself. He didn't care one whit that the guy might never play again. He as much as said so in every interview. I watched him VERY closely after that, and lo and behold, people were beating the shit out of Sapp at every opportunity. Strangely enough, he changed his tune and the beatings stopped.
Yes, I'm sure every other team would breathe a sigh of relief if Brady got hurt, but I assure you, the player who deliberately tried to injure him would pay dearly, in more ways than one.

You are right, NO ONE wants to get hurt, but then again NO ONE wants to get humiliated either, especially when the motivation behind the humliation was calling out the team humilating them for cheating. It works both ways.  You respect your opponents and they respect you.  You humiliate them and you open yourself to being retaliated against, its that simple.  I think it happens more than people realize.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:49 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:As an addendum: I hear a lot about how if Brady went down the team would fall apart. Has that not ALWAYS been the case with the Colts? Anyone even know who the Colts backup QB is? Do they even HAVE one?
Brady is so pissed off right now he'd play if he was missing a limb; I would be too if I had his ability and everyone in the league was claiming I was only doing well because of videotaping. Believe me, I know this team like the back of my hand and they are BULLSHIT that the league as a whole implied that they were not "the real deal" (the exact words Crayton used after they got shellacked). I have no probs at all with him being out there. It's a job. If they don't win the Lomby this year, so what, it was a good year and I enjoyed watching the games. In the meantime, if you play the Pats, best be ready to pay the piper.

I agree, and I think this is understated. Where would the Cowboys be if they lot their QB?  The Steelers?  The Packers? The Bengals (oh, wait, sorry, they'd still be terrible). And no one is arguing the Pats are the best team in the league right now (The Cowboys players to a man agreed after the game they lost).  But the childish antics of the head coach are uglifying what should be a great year for the Pats.  

Mike B.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:04 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Mikey, when you talk about Tony Homo and Favre laughing it up, you're right, but you're forgetting one small detail: no one has insulted them the way Brady and the Pats in general have been insulted.
Belichick will not leave NE. I've read several books on the guy, and I've followed him since WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY before he came here. He is totally, 100% obsessed with football and winning. He is NOT interested in "starting over" and building up a shit team into a champion.
You don't live here, so you don't know what the mentality is. I know people who would rip out their kids' kidneys and donate them if Billy needed one. He is without question THE most loved sports coach of ANY sport here, EVER. He knows it; he isn't going anywhere.
If teams didn't want the Pats to humiliate them with FU touchdowns, they should have shut their asses after the fine and draft pick penalization. But no, everyone had to run their mouths. Well, rest assured the Pats will take the price out of their hides and prides. No one's gonna get to Brady, and anyone who starts playing breakneck football will get his ass handed to him by the entire league. NO ONE in the league likes breakers; they never last long.

Well it starts with the fact that the Pats WERE cheating. Now, anyone saying that's the only reason they've won so much the past few years is crazy or jealous.  Use the fact that fans and other teams are questioning you as a motivating factor?  Sure, it makes great bulletin board material.  But to use it to embarrass your oppoents?  Why?  What did Coach Gibbs and the Redskins have to do with Belicheat illegally taping practices?  It just looks all sorts of wrong is all I can say, and maybe a bit immature.

I never said Bellicheck would coach another team.  But retire on top?  Why not? He might not want the aggravation anymore.  Especially a couple years down the road.  As you said, I can't believe Bellicheat would want to coach a Brady-less Pats (whether he left by injury or retirement), and he's smart enough to see the writing on the wall at that point.

As for breakneck players....uh, you're wrong. The Cowboys have at least one...Roy Williams...that pays a fine about every other week for a busted limb, hit out of bounds, or unneccessary roughness late hit.  Hell he has an entire rule made just to police his horse collar tackles (like the one that broke TO's leg when he played for the Eagles).  As for the fines...if Roy cares he'd stop blowing people up, and he never has.  As for the rep....Roy LOVES it.  His entire game is built on scaring the hell out of WR's going over the middle, knowing he could give a crap if he knocks them unconcious or breaks a limb.  And I don't see anyone policing him either.  Honestly if he took out Brady, he'd get a fine and suspension, and come back not changing his game a whit, with the added rep of having took out one of the top QBs in the game (like he took out Kurt Warner for the season on a sack in 2002).  And I'm sure other teams in the NFL have a guy just like Roy.....in the tradition of the great Jack Tatum, there is always one guy here and there willing to take someone out to make a point.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:48 pm 

Meh, no use debating this. That 4th trophy is gonna look SOOOOOOO good.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:25 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Meh, no use debating this. That 4th trophy is gonna look SOOOOOOO good.

The league will later have to add an asterisk next to the entry in the recordbook though, after investigators discover ill-gotten, top-secret playbooks from various teams hidden in Bellicheck's girlfriend's coal cellar.

bonk!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:29 pm 

Does anyone happen to know of a restaurant or food-related place with Jeremy in the name? I know it's a weird question, but there's a good explanation.........

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:51 pm 

Jeremy's Place

Jeremy Restaurant and Bar

Jeremy's Ale House

Are a few.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:11 am 

mike

you clearly didnt see Chelsea paste the floor with Manchester City last weekend 6-0

in our game, THAT is pretty humiliating. you can be beaten by less than that and still have your face pummeled through the floor.

i guess its just a question of perspective. i hear what youre saying and i dont particularly agree or disagree. the politics of the game come to the fore more than the game itself it would seem.

see in our league, winning margin actually matters - i dont know how it works for you guys.

anyway. everyone has their reasons i guess. NE clearly have theirs and everyone else doesnt like it....cest la vie. things will eventually balance themselves out somewhere along the line.

for me...i still hope for a Jets resurgence, preferably in the NE game. at least make a good accout of the team for a change!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:27 am 

killjoy32 wrote:mike

you clearly didnt see Chelsea paste the floor with Manchester City last weekend 6-0

in our game, THAT is pretty humiliating. you can be beaten by less than that and still have your face pummeled through the floor.

i guess its just a question of perspective. i hear what youre saying and i dont particularly agree or disagree. the politics of the game come to the fore more than the game itself it would seem.

see in our league, winning margin actually matters - i dont know how it works for you guys.

anyway. everyone has their reasons i guess. NE clearly have theirs and everyone else doesnt like it....cest la vie. things will eventually balance themselves out somewhere along the line.

for me...i still hope for a Jets resurgence, preferably in the NE game. at least make a good accout of the team for a change!

Al

Actually our college system is probably more like your football system.  Margin of victory matters in BCS poll rankings.  So if you are a big school, you can't just beat a small college by a TD, you have to beat them by 50 pts or else take a chance your rankings slide.  This actually leads to some bad moments for bigger schools....sometimes when they are not winning by enough at the end of a game, they are forced to keep throwing the ball or keep trying to score, which sometimes leads to interceptions and fumbles and then suddenly the winning team ISNT winning anymore...whoops!  

Don't get me started on why there is not playoff system for college football....the most mindbogglingly stupid thing in sports not to have.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:46 am 

Something for buyers and sellers to be aware of.
Growing delays at the Canada Post sorting centers.

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/n ... cle/113859

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:59 am 

"The Canadian dollar closed yesterday at $104.92 US."

Maybe they should use the economic windfall to hire new proofreaders.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:12 am 

sauromatian wrote:
"The Canadian dollar closed yesterday at $104.92 US."

Maybe they should use the economic windfall to hire new proofreaders.

Alas...that is our one and only local English language newspaper.

They have not had any proofreaders since 1982 when the two local papers merged into one.

My mom had been the proofreader at one of the papers for 29 years and during the merger they eliminated that department (3 full time employees and 3 or 4 part time).

I believe it was a combination of union seniority/priority and the company thinking that they no longer required proofreaders since the new equipment included spell checking...(wee awl no how well those work!).

Secrets of Tibet

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:21 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:Alas...that is our one and only local English language newspaper.

And the sad thing is that it's still magnitudes better than the Daily Gleaner. ;)
I believe it was a combination of union seniority/priority and the company thinking that they no longer required proofreaders since the new equipment included spell checking...(wee awl no how well those work!).

I used to have an article bookmarked by a (former?) newspaper editor lamenting the death of the professional proofreader, and one of the factors he mentioned was the rise of spellcheckers -- and the fact that though they ensure that a word is spelt correctly, they don't ensure that it's the right word or that the facts aren't glaringly obviously wrong.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:30 am 

Is anybody else getting error messages when they try to run Auction Sieve?

It just started this morning.

Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:01 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:Is anybody else getting error messages when they try to run Auction Sieve?

It just started this morning.

I am getting errors, yes.

bonk!

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:59 pm 

no problem here at the moment

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 74 of 111123 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 109110111