Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 72 of 111123 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:19 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
Also, during the last Cowboys/Steelers Superbowl, Johnson was badly outcoached by Cowher.  The Steelers almost stole that game...and would have except that they were so physically overmatched.

Actually that was Switzer that stole that SB ring, not Jimmy.  If Neil doesn't throw the two INTs, that game is quite different.   But I've watched that game, oh, about 20 times on tape.  There was a reason Larry Brown was where he was on the picks, and a reason Neil threw the two picks, and it has a lot to do with the defensive schemes the Dallas Defense ran that day, as well as the pressure on the QB.  If you listen to Larry Brown (the SB MVP, as well as being a local announcer here in the DFW area) he has said many times what looked like two "gifts" were the results of good game planning, including opposing team QBs being pathologically frightened of throwing to Deion Sanders side of the field and thus giving Brown a ton of good looks that season...he had 6 regular season picks that year as teams threw away from Deion. Brown contends to this day he was in position to pick the passes due to good game planning and coaching....who knows.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:59 pm 

Neil O'Donnell...now there was a crappy quarterback.  I don't guess he ever recovered from that Super Bowl loss.  I figure he was better than Kordell Stewart though.

Bubby Brister....now that guy was clutch.   Wasnt it '89 when they went into Denver in the AFC Championship game and he brought them back to go ahead with about two minutes left on the clock and then Elway pulled off one of his miracle finishes?  I cant rightly remember exactly but I remember it was one hell of a game.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:39 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Actually that was Switzer that stole that SB ring, not Jimmy.  .

Oh, geez.  You're right!

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:42 pm 

Niel O'Donnell...I was trying to remember his name.

O'Donnell did his best.  The Cowboys were just too good.

O'Donnell could have won the game if he had not been asked to do it on his own.  As it was, the Cowboys' defense out-manned the Steelers.

Cowher nearly pulled it off, however.  

I felt sorry for him.....then.  Not now.  Not at all.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:54 am 

Elway...now theres a name!

i always used to really enjoy watching him play. i always used to think he was an amazing QB and still do.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:09 pm 

O'Donnell was actually a serviceable QB. Going into that SB, he had the best TD to INT ratio in the league. As always, the Steelers strength was their running game, so the QB wasn't used as much, so O'Donnell wasn't asked to have 300+yd games and multiple TD. It's kinda sad that he is known for those 2 (actually 3) INT in the SB that year. I was (am) a die-hard Steelers fan and O'Donnell was one of my favorite players during that time.

He had 68 TD to 39 INT as a Steeler, hitting about 58% of his passes. An 81.7 QB rating. Not to shabby...

bombadil wrote:...There was a pile of heads stacked up around me at the end of every day.  Very cold work.  No gloves, blowing snow, bloody knife handle slippery as hell...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:34 pm 

khartsfield wrote:O'Donnell was actually a serviceable QB.

It's kinda sad that he is known for those 2 (actually 3) INT in the SB that year.

He had 68 TD to 39 INT as a Steeler, hitting about 58% of his passes. An 81.7 QB rating. Not to shabby...

I agree.  O'Donnell did not deserve to be the scapegoat for what was really a team loss.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:46 pm 

OK, I have to retract my Cassel endorsement. He's sat on the bench too long to come in and function well.
Other than that, it's another $50 game for the Frankster!

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:41 am 

tell you what though, what an exciting finale to the NE v MIA game. wow miami were really motoring at it there.

apart from that, i really enjoyed the hou v ten game too. amazing comback there by houston and they "almost" paid off. my houston WR got massive points for that game WOOHOO!

sky over here showed the lions v bucs game. was actually a pretty tough match imo. then it was let down as the eagles v bears was next......what a shite game that was. sheesh. frank i agree, that mcnabb is crap dude. he looks really out of shape imo. well done to the bears though toughing it out and pinching it at the end.

just wished they would have shown the texans game. that looked like an absolute show-stealer!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:58 pm 

Yeah, my condolences, Al. I was serious, the guy has been a train wreck for a while now. I do hope the Eagles keep him for another couple of years; with him at QB they have zero chance of being competitors.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:09 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Yeah, my condolences, Al. I was serious, the guy has been a train wreck for a while now. I do hope the Eagles keep him for another couple of years; with him at QB they have zero chance of being competitors.

well i dont have a bloody choice with him as he is one of my "cant get rid of" players, so i am stuck with him.

ah well. at least the rest of my team try and compensate for his ineptitude.

he definately didnt look good in that game. i sat and watched in shock and was like "WTF"....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:18 pm 

Really? I wonder if the Eagles view him as a "can't get rid of" player.......
That seems a bit ridiculous. You should be allowed to trade him away if you like! It's not like he's Brady!
Is there an Injured Reserve, Al? Somewhere where you can bench him and get another QB?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:48 pm 

Yeah, you can bench him, just not drop him. He is on the "Don't Drop" list (to stem the floe of cheating. Not you, of course, Al. It's a built in thing). But don't give up on McNabb yet. When he is good, he is really good. He just doesn't have the WR. Philly's offense is predicated on the pass (West Coast) and they just can't get anything going. McNabbs a good QB...  

Saying that, though, I benched the fuck out of him in my league...

:)

bombadil wrote:...There was a pile of heads stacked up around me at the end of every day.  Very cold work.  No gloves, blowing snow, bloody knife handle slippery as hell...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:34 pm 

hehe :)

well i have another QB who is injured but is coming up to a bye week so if he is ok after that i will just throw him in. he cant be any worse.

at least the rest of the team is holding up a little!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:56 pm 

Holy crap, I didn't realize I broke 4K! Thank God I'm not a Grandstanding collector.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:27 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Holy crap, I didn't realize I broke 4K! Thank God I'm not a Grandstanding collector.

yes well you will soon :)

tho i will have to have a word with foul about giving you a special title that just befits you :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:05 pm 

I would say Asshole Collector might fit well.
What is the break point for Grandstander, Al?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:35 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:I would say Asshole Collector might fit well.
What is the break point for Grandstander, Al?

:)

you know, i have no idea. i think it might be 5,000 so you have a ways to go yet my friend :)

i guess foul got fed up of giving titles after 5000 as it didnt change at 6000, though what would you call it? "get-a-life-collector" would go well :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 72 of 111123 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 109110111