Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 70 of 111123 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 109110111
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:07 am 

Yeah, New England went from the football darlings with their win over the Rams a few years back to the new NFL villain. I hate them now. Which sucks since they are so damn good. Brady was a great QB when his main WR was David Patten. David Patten! Now his THIRD option is better than Patten. Moss, Stallworth and Welker are possibly the best 3-deep wideout set in the league this year. Better than any three I can remember in a long time. Throw in Ben Watson, and that passing attack is maybe the best since... well... Montana with Rice, Craig, Taylor, Clark... Heck, maybe even better.

I hate them.

As far as Dallas, well... they beat the Giants, Miami, Chicago, St. Louis and Buffalo. A combined 7-22. They look good, but who wouldn't look good against those teams. Let Romo have a few more 'bad Romo' games and see Terrel Owens tear this team apart. I mean, a sporadic QB + TO + Wade Freakin' Phillips = badness (the old fashioned 'badness', not the new 'badness' is a good thing 'badness'... these kids today).

bombadil wrote:...There was a pile of heads stacked up around me at the end of every day.  Very cold work.  No gloves, blowing snow, bloody knife handle slippery as hell...

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:12 am 

killjoy32 wrote:fwiw i thought there was about 5 minutes there, where i thought dallas were going to turn the game into something pretty damn exciting.

i watched most of the game and for me, dallas' game looked very 1-dimensional. once NE took jason witten out of the game, Romo looked pretty short of options, til that guy got the running game going (i thought HE was very impressive, but cant remember his name).

on a lighter note though, my acaeum team finally won a game, so it wasnt all bad :)

Al

Shows what over 100 yards in penalties and a future hall of fame quarterback will do to stifle momentum.  Dallas did a great job of containing Randy Moss but in doing so left the door open for Wes Welker (I was frantically looking to add him to my fantasy football team but someone already picked him up.  :P ) and Donte Stallworth to pick apart the Dallas secondary.

And not that I am taking away anything from the Pats but I wonder if Dallas had Terry Glenn and Terence Newman healthy it might have been a different game?  Dallas did several things that no other team has been able to do against the Patriots this season:

1.  Sacked Brady multiple times.
2.  Led the game after the half.
3.  Scored more points on the Pats than any other team.

So there are some positive things to say about the Cowboys even in defeat.  I think that with Romo this team is capable of winning against anyone.  He gives the rest of the team confidence...something they never had with their last two QB's. Their secondary needs a major overhaul though.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:46 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Dallas will not face a tougher team than the Patriots the rest of the season.  Minnesota and Green Bay will both be tough.  The Dallas defense is going to need to step up and play better than they did against the Pats.  As long as they dont implode and their offense keeps putting up a lot of points, I dont see the Cowboys having much difficulty with the rest of the season.  I predict they will lose three more games.  One to either GB or Minnesota.  One to either Philly or Washington (They will squeak by the Giants again).  And one more to either Carolina or Detroit.  For some reason they always find a way to lose against Detroit.  :?

The Pats and the Colts are the best teams in the NFL...period.  The Boys won't face a tougher team all season, even the Vikings or Packers.  They may lose a few more, but they won't face a better team. So, they have basically 3 months to get better and figure out how to beat the Pats...good luck. It has to be rememered, also, that Romo has played exactly 16 NFL games in his career as of right now. The sky is the limit for him, and room for improvment is scary. He's already had more 300 yd passing days than any QB in Dallas history.  If not this year, then the next are going to be huge.

Besides, you just want to put yourself in a position to compete.  If the Cowboys can make it to the superbowl, heck anything can happen between then and now. Maybe the Cowboys will have a fully rested and healthy Terry Glenn and Tank Johnson by then.  Maybe the Pats have lost Randy Moss and Tom Brady to injury. It's a crazy game. My prediction, for the AFC and NFC finals, we'll have one team that's a lock (either the Colts or Pats in the AFC, Packers or Cowboys in the NFC) and one mystery guest.

And I dont really know much about what other Dallas fans are saying but I thought there was about a 2% chance that the 'Boys would beat the Pats so I wasnt too disappointed when they didnt.  If they didnt have as many penalties as they did I think the game would have been much closer but a win against Brady and crew was a long shot.  I for one am a bit glad that they lost.  I think it will make them realize that they still need a lot of work if they plan to be successful the rest of the year.

I don't think a lot of Cowboys fans, even with the excitement the teams have generated, thought the boys are ready.  Realistically, they should be 4-2 anyway (the Bills miracle win was just that, a miracle), so the hype machine was a little far into overdrive for this one.  I was still shocked they managed to put as much pressure on Brady as they did...I've watched every game this year and the typically get no where near the QB on most plays.  As for penalties..they gave up three first downs on 3rd down plays, and took themselves out of a first down play on two others.  You can't do that versus a BAD NFL team.  And the absence of Anthony Henry was bigger than it's been since he went down...he makes a living guarding the slot and picking off 1 or 2 passes late in the game when he figures the timing routes out.  Regardless of Tank or Terry, whether they come back and play well or not, I saw some good things out of that game. So far, no one else the Pats have played hung around this long or had a lead in the game this late as the Cowboys...

I tell you one thing...if I still had any respect for Belicheat as a coach (which I didnt) it was all flushed down the crapper when he went for another touchdown on 4th and goal with 19 seconds left in the game.  Why didnt the jerk just kick a field goal and be done with it.  A lot of Pats fans were saying that a two touchdown lead wasnt enough against the Cowboys and wanted to make sure that they didnt pull off another miracle win like they did against the Bills.  What a bunch of crap.  The whole stupid BS story about what Phillips supposedly said to the media about Belicheat's three titles being tainted by his spying antics was impetus for him to run up the score.  I hope Indianapolis destroys them when they meet up next month.  :twisted:

What a sad, filthy little man Bellicheat is.  I already had so little respect for him (the way he treats those around him, including former coaches who coached for him, speaks volumes) but the knowledge he was cheating against 3rd tier teams (teams the Pats ALREADY guaranteed wins against) is mind boggling.  All the excuses...everyone does it, whatever, how come no one has been caught and penalized for it before?  Surely the Pats aren't so inept at this "cheating" and so good at everything else?  I've said this before, no matter how many rings the dude wins, they'll be family only at his retirement party (if that).  But I have to admit it is nice to have someone else be the "bad guy" in the NFL, the Cowboys have been down so long that all the usual haters have drifted off...maybe they can start hating the Pats now.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:57 am 

khartsfield wrote:As far as Dallas, well... they beat the Giants, Miami, Chicago, St. Louis and Buffalo. A combined 7-22. They look good, but who wouldn't look good against those teams.

In my opinion, just because the win-loss record of the teams that Dallas has beaten is 7-22 doesnt mean that Dallas isnt a good team.  New England has beaten the Jets, Chargers, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and now Dallas.  Only Dallas has a winning record out of those six teams and the Jets, Buffalo, and Cincy only have one win apiece.  Yet the majority of fans and sports writers are calling New England the best team in the country and at least one sports writer has stated that they are the best team in NFL history.  :roll:

Time will tell though.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:02 am 

I never expected the Cowboys to beat New England.  The Patriots are too good right now...and the Cowboys are OK, but not worthy of the hype up to this point.  Letting the Bills nearly beat them showed that.

The Cowboys should do well against the rest of their schedule.  Football is a game of momentum.  Far more important than the loss to New England is the upcoming game against Minnesota.  If the Cowboys do not play well in that game, they will lose momentum.  If they win, it will be, "Patriots?  Oh...yeah...those guys.  Why do you ask?"

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:13 am 

i thought dallas looked pretty good against them each time they ran the ball, rather than throw it. that guy (whatever his name was) tore through them for great yards each time he had the ball. i liked that play back behind his goal line a lot!!!! what a rush to get down the field with so much pressure on the line. that was a most impressive effort.

i dont think it was particularly offensively that dallas had the problem - they were getting yards, prb not as much as they would have liked, but they were getting them and i think their play needed to be more varied.

defensively though, not particularly in the lineout, but more back-field, they looked wide open, specially to the NE speedsters. welker and stallworth had a field day. thats something they need to seriously sort out, specially when it comes to GB, where everyone knows what kinda game favre is gonna bring.

i didnt think NE looked unbeatable though i have to say and think the colts will beat them, now THEY look very strong.

and KOP....i went looking for welker too :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:15 am 

khartsfield wrote:
As far as Dallas, well... they beat the Giants, Miami, Chicago, St. Louis and Buffalo. A combined 7-22. They look good, but who wouldn't look good against those teams. Let Romo have a few more 'bad Romo' games and see Terrel Owens tear this team apart. I mean, a sporadic QB + TO + Wade Freakin' Phillips = badness (the old fashioned 'badness', not the new 'badness' is a good thing 'badness'... these kids today).

And the Pats had beat the Jets, Chargers, Bills, Browns and Bengals...a combined 9-19.  So their schedule doesn't look much tougher so far. BTW, their entire DIVISON HAS WON TWO GAMES (a combined 2-15) and they get to play those schmoes TWICE EACH...talk about a cakewalk. Meanwhile the Cowboys play in one of the toughest divisions in football (NFC east is 9-7, the toughest division besides the AFC south).  You have to beat everyone you play, and since only the Ravens, Steelers, Pats, Colts, Jags and Titans in the AFC and the Cowboys, Giants, Redskins, Packers, Lions, Panthers and Buccs in the NFC are over .500, it's tough to find a quality opponent anymore.  Strength of schedule is so deceiving anyway; by the end of the year, teams like the Giants and Bears may have won 10 games each, are those suddenly quality wins now?  
    And I seem to remember Favre having a few games...more than a few games...like Romo did against the Bills.  Romo IS the new Favre, so he's going to have a lot of TDs, a lot of INTS, but a lot of magic moments like the end of the Bills game before this is over.  Play this game:  you are starting a team in the NFL, and you can choose any QB in the league to be your QB for the next seven years. Whose next after Brady, Peyton Manning, and Carson Palmer (who is 1-4, btw)?  Vince Young? Phillip Rivers? Bret Favre is playing lights out right now but he won't be doing it another 2 years, let alone seven.  Young, Rivers, Jason Campbell, even Brady Quinn, lots of potential, but check their TD and yardage totals. Romo is already a top five QB in the NFL and he's played 16 games.  Scary.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:23 am 

killjoy32 wrote:i thought dallas looked pretty good against them each time they ran the ball, rather than throw it. that guy (whatever his name was) tore through them for great yards each time he had the ball. i liked that play back behind his goal line a lot!!!! what a rush to get down the field with so much pressure on the line. that was a most impressive effort.

i dont think it was particularly offensively that dallas had the problem - they were getting yards, prb not as much as they would have liked, but they were getting them and i think their play needed to be more varied.

defensively though, not particularly in the lineout, but more back-field, they looked wide open, specially to the NE speedsters. welker and stallworth had a field day. thats something they need to seriously sort out, specially when it comes to GB, where everyone knows what kinda game favre is gonna bring.

i didnt think NE looked unbeatable though i have to say and think the colts will beat them, now THEY look very strong.

and KOP....i went looking for welker too :)

Al

Al....becoming the NFL talking head before our very eyes!  It brings tears, it does.... :D

Marion Barber (Marion the Barbarian as Terrell calls him) is quite the bull at rb. His running out of the safety and gaining two yards was pretty awesome.  He usually comes in the second half after the other RB (Julius Jones) has run for awhile, and uses his punishing style to rip out yards at will.  A nice complimentary back.
  And your comments about the Dallas secondary were dead on.  Anthony Henry was out, and thank goodness Newman was back from his injury, otherwise it could have been uglier, at least he contained Moss (at the expense of having Welker run wild in the slot).  Something to work on...but remember, no other team in the NFL lines up three wides like the Pats...they should be ok even against the Pack.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:38 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:New England has beaten the Jets, Chargers, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and now Dallas.  Only Dallas has a winning record out of those six teams

Badmike wrote:
And the Pats had beat the Jets, Chargers, Bills, Browns and Bengals...a combined 9-19.  So their schedule doesn't look much tougher so far.

Touche', Dallas fans. Touche'.

bombadil wrote:...There was a pile of heads stacked up around me at the end of every day.  Very cold work.  No gloves, blowing snow, bloody knife handle slippery as hell...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:54 am 

Badmike wrote:
Al....becoming the NFL talking head before our very eyes!  It brings tears, it does.... :D

Marion Barber (Marion the Barbarian as Terrell calls him) is quite the bull at rb. His running out of the safety and gaining two yards was pretty awesome.  He usually comes in the second half after the other RB (Julius Jones) has run for awhile, and uses his punishing style to rip out yards at will.  A nice complimentary back.
  And your comments about the Dallas secondary were dead on.  Anthony Henry was out, and thank goodness Newman was back from his injury, otherwise it could have been uglier, at least he contained Moss (at the expense of having Welker run wild in the slot).  Something to work on...but remember, no other team in the NFL lines up three wides like the Pats...they should be ok even against the Pack.

Mike B.

hey i might not know all the terms n stuff, but i am not stupid and i DO enjoy american football! :)

secondary....right i must remember that. i like back-field better :)

thing is though, you have to play them again, so they are gonna be bringing that again next time, so you still have to sort that problem out. you can bet your socks that GB will look at that and see whats going on, being that their whole offence is passing.

marion barber, that was him! he is superb! i like his style. he's big, fast and VERY direct. his upper-body strength is awesome. did you see that play where he went through the line and off to the left and swatted off that player like he wasnt there. awesome stuff. i love plays like that, where its all about how good the player really is, that gets him where he is going. he was most definately one of the best of dallas' offence that day.

i still think you need more throwing options though, when your main players are marked out the game, which NE did very well. for a short while there, when witten wasnt an option, Romo almost didnt know what to do with the ball. when he hits a pass though, man he looks impressive.

i think dallas have a lot of food for thought, assuming they will take heed of it and actually do something about it.....do you think they will?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:39 am 

Actually, I'm going to pull on my asbestos pants and say I think the Giants have a good chance of beating Dallas next time they play.  They may even steal the division, if Dallas falters and loses some games.

The G-men have alot of momentum going right now, and a pretty soft schedule which could allow them to pile up wins and stay competitive in the division.  They're much improved from their first two games.  If the defense stays healthy and the offense keeps playing the way it is right now, NY could give them plenty of trouble.

That's two big "IFs", of course.

Now, flame away!!   :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:10 pm 

Well, as a 30 year football fan, I can tell you I've never seen a better or more complete team.
The videotaping thing needs to be laid to rest; he got caught doing what everyone does, and paid the price. Time to move on. Or should we ban Shawne Merriman, Pacman Jones and all the rest for 10 years instead of a few months? There's no current or historic videotapes, yet they haven't missed a single stride. Ya think maybe the taping wasn't a big deal? Does anyone know when the memo for banning videotaping was sent out? September 2006. Yet everyone makes it sound like it's been banned since 1950. Know the facts before you piss and whine.
I can tell you exactly what the Eckel TD was: It was a Fuck You TD. After the vilifying, Superbowl questioning, etc, you can expect nothing more than to be driven into the dust and shit upon if you are playing the Pats. And when you allow idiots like Terrell O-mygodhesucksass to grab media attention and act like clowns, debasing other players and teams, it just makes them even more determined to grind idiots into cornmeal. That hammerhead is DAMN lucky Harrison didn't get a clean shot at him; the only popcorn he'd be seeing is the stuff they'd use to pack his corpse before shipping it home. Go look at replays of the game, and on the very few catches he managed, he went down like a whore on a sailor the second a defender got near him.
Now, I'm sure I will get flak for being a Pats fan, but the fact of the matter is it could have been the Raiders that got caught taping and I'd feel exactly the same way. Pay the fine, lose the pick and move the fuck on. Caught shooting testosterone in your ass? Serve the suspension and MOVE ON. Making illegal trade deals behind the scenes? Pay the price and,  what's that you say, Frank? Move on?
Regardless of how good they or any other team are, the playoffs are all that matters. One bad game and it's over, superstar team or not. The Pats played in a dome with the heat intentionally turned up to 80 degrees and half the team suffering from the flu, and they lost. Plain and simple. When teams come here in the winter, we "forget" to fully defrost the field. That's the perks of home field advantage, and that is why it is so important.
Dallas' opponents, by the way, are a combined 7-22. Only the Giants have above a .500, and two of the teams are 0-6. Might want to add that fact in there......

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:26 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:The videotaping thing needs to be laid to rest; he got caught doing what everyone does, and paid the price. Time to move on. ...Does anyone know when the memo for banning videotaping was sent out? September 2006. Yet everyone makes it sound like it's been banned since 1950. Know the facts before you piss and whine.

Homer. The memo saying, "Hey, guys, this is illegal in the game. Don't do it anymore," went out Sept 2006. It was still wrong. Do you have to send a memo to your kids not to do drugs?

Deadlord39 wrote:I can tell you exactly what the Eckel TD was: It was a Fuck You TD. After the vilifying, Superbowl questioning, etc, you can expect nothing more than to be driven into the dust and shit upon if you are playing the Pats.

Somebody has been reading Bill Simmons. :)

Deadlord39 wrote:And when you allow idiots like Terrell O-mygodhesucksass to grab media attention and act like clowns, debasing other players and teams, it just makes them even more determined to grind idiots into cornmeal. That hammerhead is DAMN lucky Harrison didn't get a clean shot at him

Heh, this I like. :)

Deadlord39 wrote:he went down like a whore on a sailor the second a defender got near him.

Being an ex-Navy vet, I take offense at this. Since I never had a whore go down on me that is.

Deadlord39 wrote:Now, I'm sure I will get flak for being a Pats fan

Yes. We all hate you.

Deadlord39 wrote:Dallas' opponents, by the way, are a combined 7-22. Only the Giants have above a .500, and two of the teams are 0-6. Might want to add that fact in there......

This has been covered. Read a few posts back. I said the same thing, but was answered back with, "Who have the Pats played?!". It's a legitimate argument.

Now I'm REALLY mad. I'm defending Cowboy fans! Thanks Deadlord!! :lol:

PS It's all in good fun. Don't get all defensive. I'm a Steelers fan, so let's wait until the Pats play the Steelers, and talk later. And... I'm with you on one thing. The Pats are a great team. Especially in this salary cap era. Kudos to you, Pats fans. (Now, if the Sox can pull it together against the Indians...)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:17 pm 

LOL, I know it's in fun, I'm not in the least bit perturbed. Just wanted to stir the mix a little! You're right, Cartman, I should have said ex-Marine. We all know Navy guys don't go for women.......
I've always been a Steelers fan. I'm glad Coach Chin got a SB win before he retired. He was a great coach.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:33 pm 

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post ... =nfl,49465

Hilarious. No, they're not gunning for the Pats!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:15 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:You're right, Cartman, I should have said ex-Marine. We all know Navy guys don't go for women.

<sigh> Now you done made it personal...

:)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:54 pm 

Actually, my best friend when I was in the MC was a Navy corpsman. He got more beaver than a Canadian furtrapper. There's 3 branches in the service, Marine Corps, Navy, and The Rest.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:59 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote: He got more beaver than a Canadian furtrapper.

LOL  :lol:

PDT_Armataz_01_34

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 70 of 111123 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 109110111