Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 69 of 111123 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:59 am 

lucyjoyce wrote:It's just that you're used to rugby, killjoy, where the players are allowed to eat their dead!  Basically a player can't mess with the receiver's body as the ball approaches the receiver. The defender can catch or bat the ball away before it reaches the receiver, and once the receiver touches, the ball, he can tackle the receiver.

well i guess that makes sense. in rugby, they have a similar rule. if you catch a kicked ball midair, you are not allowed to be tackled until both feet are on the ground (dangerous tackle).

:)

another thing and i guess this IS the rugby concept. the second a player goes to ground, say if he gets tapped on the ankle and falls over. thats the end of the play? he cant get up and carry on? that seems really dumb, cos THATS not a tackle!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:48 am 

Killjoy/LucyJoyce:
Pass Interference had a useful purpose when it was introduced, but now they've gone way too far with it, to the point where cornerbacks can't even play their positions effectively anymore.  

The league now uses this rule to put severe limitations on anybody trying to cover receivers so that there will be more passing plays and higher scoring games.  Thereby, in their thinking, increasing TV viewership.

But it's really gotten out of hand.  It's supposed to be a physical sport, for pete's sake!  Pretty soon nobody will be allowed to touch anybody, ever.  Why not just play basketball?  :roll:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:18 pm 

First the Skype purchase, now this.

They're really adrift without a rudder, aren't they?

Also:

Later this year eBay will roll out "One Click Bid," which should boost a buyer's chances of winning during the final 15 minutes. EBay also plans to streamline its "My eBay" service and speed its cumbersome checkout process.

Translation: they've seen other people making money on this idea, and they want a chunk of the pie. (And am I the only one who doesn't find the checkout process that bad?  You choose your shipping method, you choose your payment method, and then fill in any details you need.)

And it is beta testing features called "Snapshot View," the e-commerce equivalent of window shopping; "Best Match," an automatic sorting option; and "Countdown," which features improvements in real-time auction monitoring.

I've taken a look at their beta features.  Best Match?  Blargh.  No thank you.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:38 pm 

Here's what cracks me up: they say eBay experienced slow growth, so they feel the need to revamp and redo. At what point will they realize that they cannot "grow" year after year? If that were so, within 15 years there would be no other commerce but eBay. It always cracks me up when a business experiences "slow or no" growth and acts like they LOST money. eBay made a shitload, a SHITLOAD of money between last year and now, but it isn't a 7,000% increase, so they must be doing something wrong.
It'll be SOOOOOOOOO nice when they collapse.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:14 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Here's what cracks me up: they say eBay experienced slow growth, so they feel the need to revamp and redo. At what point will they realize that they cannot "grow" year after year? If that were so, within 15 years there would be no other commerce but eBay. It always cracks me up when a business experiences "slow or no" growth and acts like they LOST money. eBay made a shitload, a SHITLOAD of money between last year and now, but it isn't a 7,000% increase, so they must be doing something wrong.

This is one of the reasons Warner overpaid for AOL, and both companies tooka  bath financially.  Back when 50% of Americans used AOL, I actually saw projections that AOL thought someday almost 100% of people would have AOL, due to the fact that "the sky was the limit" growthwise.  Idiocy.  Companies, not wanting to upset nervous nellie stockholders, toss our unreasonable expectations and sheer fantasy when it comes to growth potential.  It's built into the system; who wants to DOWNPLAY expectations and cause shareholders to pull out of an investment?  This is why, because growth is flat at Ebay and will continue to be flat, that fees will continue to rise year after year, since profit will hae to come from somewhere.  Unfortunately for us all, this is going to inevitably kill the goose that laid the golden egg....more third party sites will sprint up, and more people will continue to drift away from Ebay or use professional services like Isoldit because the bang to buck ratio will continue to decline.  

And DL is right, except he's more right than he thinks;  in this sort of atmosphere, a company that experiences no or little growth DOES lose money, based on the stock price that either stays flat or drops slightly, and the investors that move on to some other "hot" investment. This is why the rich have to keep getting richer, and in the end it's a zero sum game, because at a certain point either someone will reinvent the wheel (a online auction site, say, that doesn't charge to list) or will swamp the market (a dozen other Ebay type sites going up in the next ten years or so) and companies not providing essentials (AOL, Ebay, etc) will slowly disintigrate.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:17 pm 

Anybody know where I can obtain a copy of "Omega World"
This is a mini game that was published in Dungeon or Dragon, maybe?
I think somebody here mentioned you can download it as a PDF.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:22 pm 

It was in Dungeon #94/Polyhedron #153.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:07 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Here's what cracks me up: they say eBay experienced slow growth, so they feel the need to revamp and redo. At what point will they realize that they cannot "grow" year after year? If that were so, within 15 years there would be no other commerce but eBay. It always cracks me up when a business experiences "slow or no" growth and acts like they LOST money. eBay made a shitload, a SHITLOAD of money between last year and now, but it isn't a 7,000% increase, so they must be doing something wrong.

This is the mentality of every company I have worked for.  "Sure, the economy is slumping, but, heh, go out sell mutual funds to nervous customers!!   BUT you have to sell more than ever before so that you can get a tiny bonus.    You can do it!!"    Whatever.   

Seems as if major corporations just grasp the concept of a bad year.

Let's git to killin'!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:11 am 

Anybody else's eBay favourite search emails acting wonky lately?

I keep getting emailed the same items every night for the past couple of days.  They're not newly listed items, but rather it's every item matching the criteria currently on eBay.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:01 pm 

All three 4e core rulebooks will be released in June:

. . . http://www.enworld.org/

And D&D minis with 4e stat cards will be released on Worldwide D&D Day:

. . . http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/gameday

I'm guessing that the core books (deluxe, slipcased, whatever) will not be collectible, but will the minis be valuable?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:16 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:All three 4e core rulebooks will be released in June:

So they've moved away from their "one a month" plan that was announced at GenCon.

Wonder what prompted that... :?

JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:33 pm 

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

:roll:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:42 am 

whats this? no american football talk?

is this because dallas got hammered?

fwiw i thought there was about 5 minutes there, where i thought dallas were going to turn the game into something pretty damn exciting.

i watched most of the game and for me, dallas' game looked very 1-dimensional. once NE took jason witten out of the game, Romo looked pretty short of options, til that guy got the running game going (i thought HE was very impressive, but cant remember his name).

on a lighter note though, my acaeum team finally won a game, so it wasnt all bad :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:34 am 

killjoy32 wrote:whats this? no american football talk?

is this because dallas got hammered?

No one wants to complain, I guess.  Or the Dallas fans are sulking.   :wink:

fwiw i thought there was about 5 minutes there, where i thought dallas were going to turn the game into something pretty damn exciting.

I heard the radio say that the pundits say that Dallas will be facing tougher teams for the rest of the season.  Since I do not have the expertise to evaluate such third-hand speculation, what do the Dallas fans have to say about the rest of their season?  5-1 so far . . .

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:58 am 

Hey Killjoy,
My Giants are coming to the UK in a couple of weeks to play the Dolphins in London.  Seems like the NFL is trying to export the sport to the English and Europeans.  Do you think many people will attend?

I don't know how much interest there is in American Football abroad.  From what I understand, it will be tough to get alot of people interested in the UK, as soccer is pretty much the national sport of choice and is rooted in the culture.  

Thoughts?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:28 am 

Agent Cooper wrote:Hey Killjoy,
My Giants are coming to the UK in a couple of weeks to play the Dolphins in London.  Seems like the NFL is trying to export the sport to the English and Europeans.  Do you think many people will attend?

I don't know how much interest there is in American Football abroad.  From what I understand, it will be tough to get alot of people interested in the UK, as soccer is pretty much the national sport of choice and is rooted in the culture.  

Thoughts?

hey AC

yeah there is lots of demand for it here. if the NFL try and make it a regular thing, its a BIG seller, let me tell you.

wembley stadium holds roughly 90,000 or so, there were 1million requests for tickets AT LEAST!

so that will give you an idea of the demand here, to see proper american football, not the crap they tend to try and pass off from time to time with this european league or whatever.

dont think for one second that our football (your soccer) gets all the limelight. sure its where the cash is at i guess, but you would be surprised at how many different sports folk like. twickenham holds the rugby union games for england and gets regular sell outs of around 75,000, so that will give you an idea of demand outside football here.

if they made it a regular thing of X games being played per season at wembley stadium, i have no doubt whatsoever that it would be a massive success. not only from a tickets perspective, but the merchandise too.

Al

ps. and fyi, i was ONE of the million trying to get a ticket, even though i hate both teams playing.

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:48 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:I heard the radio say that the pundits say that Dallas will be facing tougher teams for the rest of the season.  Since I do not have the expertise to evaluate such third-hand speculation, what do the Dallas fans have to say about the rest of their season?  5-1 so far . . .

Dallas will not face a tougher team than the Patriots the rest of the season.  Minnesota and Green Bay will both be tough.  The Dallas defense is going to need to step up and play better than they did against the Pats.  As long as they dont implode and their offense keeps putting up a lot of points, I dont see the Cowboys having much difficulty with the rest of the season.  I predict they will lose three more games.  One to either GB or Minnesota.  One to either Philly or Washington (They will squeak by the Giants again).  And one more to either Carolina or Detroit.  For some reason they always find a way to lose against Detroit.  :?

And I dont really know much about what other Dallas fans are saying but I thought there was about a 2% chance that the 'Boys would beat the Pats so I wasnt too disappointed when they didnt.  If they didnt have as many penalties as they did I think the game would have been much closer but a win against Brady and crew was a long shot.  I for one am a bit glad that they lost.  I think it will make them realize that they still need a lot of work if they plan to be successful the rest of the year.

I tell you one thing...if I still had any respect for Belicheat as a coach (which I didnt) it was all flushed down the crapper when he went for another touchdown on 4th and goal with 19 seconds left in the game.  Why didnt the jerk just kick a field goal and be done with it.  A lot of Pats fans were saying that a two touchdown lead wasnt enough against the Cowboys and wanted to make sure that they didnt pull off another miracle win like they did against the Bills.  What a bunch of crap.  The whole stupid BS story about what Phillips supposedly said to the media about Belicheat's three titles being tainted by his spying antics was impetus for him to run up the score.  I hope Indianapolis destroys them when they meet up next month.  :twisted:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:57 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:

I tell you one thing...if I still had any respect for Belicheat as a coach (which I didnt) it was all flushed down the crapper when he went for another touchdown on 4th and goal with 19 seconds left in the game.  Why didnt the jerk just kick a field goal and be done with it.  A lot of Pats fans were saying that a two touchdown lead wasnt enough against the Cowboys and wanted to make sure that they didnt pull off another miracle win like they did against the Bills.  What a bunch of crap.  The whole stupid BS story about what Phillips supposedly said to the media about Belicheat's three titles being tainted by his spying antics was impetus for him to run up the score.  I hope Indianapolis destroys them when they meet up next month.  :twisted:

I don't think that was really all that big a deal, he was trying to run out the clock.  Just because Dallas could not stop them them on 4 consecutive basic running plays IMO doesn't mean they were running up the score.  As a matter of fact Wade Phillips is as much to blame for that touchdown as Bellicheat, because he called the time out down 2 TDs with less than a minute to go.  Don't get me wrong I am far from a Bellicheat fan, but I don't think that was that big of a deal.  :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 69 of 111123 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 109110111