Old Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 7 of 1111234, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 109110111
Author

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:33 am 

If you want to get historic about team sports try the Mesoamerican sport from 1500 BC  :)

Of course the fact that some of the balls had human skulls as their core is kind of creepy...

http://www.ballgame.org/main.asp

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:38 pm 

Speaking of nutjobs, this guy is probably what most people in the world think of when they think of NASCAR:

http://www.cybersalt.org/cleanlaugh/ima ... ascar3.htm

Wow! That picture makes me wish I had more hair on my back. I could have a hairstylist shave out a lizard logo for me.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:49 pm 

WOOOT!

Xposure Rock Cafe in Bham is reopening! (One of the best rock pubs in Bham that closed ten years ago).

After losing The Gallows & Edwards No 8 to a fire in the autumn  *sniff*, it's been kind of weird on the rock & goth scene in Bham...

(

You may now return to your scheduled programming...

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:55 pm 

sleepyCO wrote:
Well, Formcritic, what a finish!!!

And, sure enough, there are fans who are already saying:
A)  Stewart got taken out by Kurt Busch;
B)  It's a conspiracy against the little teams--this is regarding no yellow flag on the last lap crash;
C)  NASCAR favors Jeff Gordon/Dale Jr./whoever else;
D)  Mark Martin got screwed by no yellow flag; etc.
E)  Insert your favorite conspiracy here or somehow blame it on GW Bush and global warming :D  :D  :lol:  :lol: .

OK, my $.02:  While I do ask where was the yellow flag in the last-lap carnage, had one been thrown, who would've won would've depended on WHEN.  I think I counted at least three or four lead changes from mid-turn four to start/finish;  had this been Talladega, there could have been at least one more!!

[For those not familiar, Talladega is a near-twin to Daytona, but longer, wider, more banked.  Start/Finish line is at the end of Pit Road instead of the middle of the tri-oval at Daytona.]

Of course, given all that's happened this week at Daytona, maybe it would be fitting if Harvick's car was found to have something wrong enough for a penalty severe enough to give the race to Mark Martin.... :oops:  :oops:

I was cheering for Martin.  As the wreck broadened and both drivers dashed to the line, I was asking, "Hey, where's the yellow flag?"

It wasn't so much a conspiracy against the small teams as it was NASCAR's desire to avoid a yellow flag finish.  Virtually everyone of those green-white-checkered finishes ends with a huge crash.

I think Mark Martin got screwed...and I do not like Harvick.

As for those of you who find NASCAR boring......

Yes, the cars go around an oval, but NASCAR is more than that...  It is a clash of teams, drivers, machines, technology and money....the perfect American sport.  Add in the crunch of metal, the scream of sirens, the roar of engines, tires, wrecks, flames, heraldry, battle flags, uniforms, teams, factions, companies, industry, rivalries, sponsors and general hoopla...in a grinding 500 mile struggle....all against a background of life and death human drama.....hoo boy!   8O

NASCAR is America in microcosm...good and bad.  :twisted:   If the Japanese Imperial Staff could have somehow seen a NASCAR race they would never have dared....

If Americans had invented soccer it would have involved armored combat, brutality and pitched battles....oh, wait...that's what Americans call "football."   :lol:

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:01 pm 

still cant understand why you call it football.....still reckon it should be handball

but hey to each their own i say.

glad y'all like it :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:24 pm 

So why do they call it rugby....they don't play on a rug....unless they used to.....eehhww!

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:37 pm 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:So why do they call it rugby....they don't play on a rug....unless they used to.....eehhww!

i think the origin of it could have been based in Rugby i guess :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:02 pm 

there ya go koshy...should tell you waht you need dude :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_School

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:38 pm 

And wasn't football (that is proper football) developed by another school too about the same time?  I saw something with Melvin Bragg on the FA rules on telly the other day.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:54 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:there ya go koshy...should tell you waht you need dude :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_School

Ya know I was just razzen ya, right?  :P

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:55 pm 

I cannot believe everyone missed my mummy ref  :(

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:57 pm 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:I cannot believe everyone missed my mummy ref  :(

Sorry, Kosh...I thought it was so good that any comment by me would be piling on.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:03 am 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:I cannot believe everyone missed my mummy ref  :(

clearly an acquired taste of humour  :P

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:23 am 

Man, this one got nickled and dimed to death:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

KoP, did the wife not let you go to the local exotic dance bar or something  :?:  :P

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:41 am 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:Man, this one got nickled and dimed to death:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

KoP, did the wife not let you go to the local exotic dance bar or something  :?:  :P

he clearly had a free night with nothing better to do :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:00 am 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:Man, this one got nickled and dimed to death:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Actually there is a very sane reason for the "nickle and diming".  I have been trying to win one of these for about a year now.  I have bid on 6 or 7 of them and always seem to get outbid at the last second even though I have put in what I thought was a pretty sensible proxy bid or my snipe fell a bit short.  Not wanting to lose this auction I decided to try a new tactic.  One of the things about specific buyers that annoys the hell out of me is bidding in very small increments until they meet the price of the highest bidder.  Why do people do that?  It doesnt make any sense to place small incremental bids....or does it?  From a common sense standpoint it really doesnt make sense.  Why waste time putting in numerous $1 incremental bids when you can just make one or two larger bids?

And then I realized that by putting in the smaller bids there was a chance that my doing so would also seriously annoy the shit out of anyone else that might have been bidding on the item and also send a message to them that I wanted the item badly enough and that they didnt stand a chance to win.

I dont know if my little experiment worked or not.  But I did win the auction.  Although I paid a bit more than I really wanted to, at least I wont have to worry about looking for another one.  And it helped that I was totally bored at work yesterday.  :D

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:04 pm 

I'm guessing some of you may be comic book fans, so perhaps you can help me out here ...

I recently bought my son a "Star Wars" toy, and included with it was a reprint of a "Star Wars" comic book that was quite obviously produced around the time of the original release of the first movie in 1977 (Now titled "Episode IV", of course).

(In fact, the comic includes some material that I know was actually cut from the original movie, like Luke and Biggs near the beginning of the story, etc)

The issue he got with his toy was the first volume of a multi-volume set.

I'd like to get the rest of them for him, but I'm not sure how/where to start.

I know nothing about comics.

Plus, all I want are reprints.  I'm not interested in anything collectible.

Thanks,
Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:22 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:The issue he got with his toy was the first volume of a multi-volume set.

I'd like to get the rest of them for him, but I'm not sure how/where to start.

I know nothing about comics.

Plus, all I want are reprints.  I'm not interested in anything collectible.

Was the volume the length of a comic book or the length of a bunch of comic books?  If it's a single comic, then it and the other issues may still be available in a collected "Trade PaperBack" form.  If it's already a collection of comics, then you may be looking to collect all of the original run of Star Wars comics in TPB form ---  I forget how many issues covered the first movie and how many were original material from Marvel Comics.

Check your local comics store, which should have a sizable TPB or Graphic Novel section.  Or eBay/Half.Com for it . . .

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 7 of 1111234, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 109110111